Paulding.com
Sign in to follow this  
HardwareDJ

Where do you keep your

Do you have a fire safe or something of that nature? Not looking to rob you just looking for ideas.

I was cleaning up some stuff that has been laying around on the floor the other day and found the mortgage stuff from when I bought my house. Figured I should keep that in a safe place. Also found some other important papers in the pile like my birth certificate.

Normally I keep that stuff along with my tax information in a briefcase but since the move I have gotten sort of disorganized. That and the briefcase is getting full.

So where is a good place to store important papers like tax forms, birth certificates, passports and the like?

On a side note with most things digital people should make copies of their family photos and put them on some sort of media like a DVD or a USB thumb drive and also store that with your important papers. If you have a fire or flood or something of that nature they will be saved.

This is going to sound crazy but our attorney told us to keep our important papers in our chest type freezer. We put them in a tupperware container in there. He said the reasoning is because it won't burn in a fire and it's heavy enough to probably not blow away in a tornado. :pardon:

Have fire proof file cabinet and safe. keep digital stuff on portable HD and Thumb drive depending on what it is and keep those in either the safe or cabinet.

I like the freezer thing and make total sense. Not sure if I will do that, but I do have a fire resistant safe we keep the important stuff in. I also have a label on it that states there is no money in it and the key is left in the slot. I don't want a thief taking just some papers that are important to me. I just hope he can read if he finds it. LOL

Keep important papers and pictures in the place of your choosing in your home. For us it is our gun safe which has fire protection. You should also copy all of these important papers and pictures to keep a second set in a bank safe deposit box or with a good friend or family member who also has a fire safe. That way if anything happens you will have a 2nd set of your important papers and photos. For those of you that have children you might want to include their immunization records in with their birth certificates. These items can be paper but they can also be photographed and placed on thumb drives or on CDs.

I kept mine in my stove, until my wife (we weren't married at the time) came over to cook me a suprise dinner and almost burned them up preheating the stove.

I figured the stove would protect them in case of fire.

thermometerpic.jpg

To safely store photographs, cds and dvds, flash drives, sd cards or anything made out of plastic you need to have a media safe that is rated at 125 degrees. Standard fire safes are rated at 350 degrees which is only safe for paper documents. Media safes are more expensive than fire safes because of the temperature rating and the thickness of the safe. You might be ok with a fire safe in the basement for storing media because my neighbors house burned down a few years ago and most everything in the basement was ok with the exception of some water damage from putting out the fire. The way that fire retardant material works on all fire safes with a fire test rating is that they pump moisture into the safe and actually create a “cloud of steam”. The Laws of Physics dictates that “steam” will not exceed 350 degrees fahrenheit. So, therefore, all the contents in the safe that are paper products including money will not burn. Paper and money will burst into flames at precisely 451 degrees Fahrenheit. Also keep in mind that most fire and gun safes are not waterproof. They are water resistant. When putting photographs and media in a safe, make sure that they are in zip lock bags that are designed for heating vegetables in boiling water to protect from them from water and steam. These zip lock bags can usually take up to 250 degrees of temperature and will do an ample job of protecting sensitive documents or other items that need to be protected from moisture.

• Like 2

Thanks Media Man!!

thermometerpic.jpg

To safely store photographs, cds and dvds, flash drives, sd cards or anything made out of plastic you need to have a media safe that is rated at 125 degrees. Standard fire safes are rated at 350 degrees which is only safe for paper documents. Media safes are more expensive than fire safes because of the temperature rating and the thickness of the safe. You might be ok with a fire safe in the basement for storing media because my neighbors house burned down a few years ago and most everything in the basement was ok with the exception of some water damage from putting out the fire. The way that fire retardant material works on all fire safes with a fire test rating is that they pump moisture into the safe and actually create a "cloud of steam". The Laws of Physics dictates that "steam" will not exceed 350 degrees fahrenheit. So, therefore, all the contents in the safe that are paper products including money will not burn. Paper and money will burst into flames at precisely 451 degrees Fahrenheit. Also keep in mind that most fire and gun safes are not waterproof. They are water resistant. When putting photographs and media in a safe, make sure that they are in zip lock bags that are designed for heating vegetables in boiling water to protect from them from water and steam. These zip lock bags can usually take up to 250 degrees of temperature and will do an ample job of protecting sensitive documents or other items that need to be protected from moisture.

When I moved to the eastern coast three years ago the branch manager at the bank I got my safety deposit box.(keep in mind, this is a bank box). 1) pretty much theft proof. 2) pretty much fireproof. 3) not water proof. Ziplock important papers and such. I am in hurricane zone here

Edited by rockster

We haven't trusted safe deposit boxes at banks since valuables turned up missing from ours. We now have a fire safe that we have control over and check on a regular basis.

When I moved to the eastern coast three years ago the branch manager at the bank I got my safety deposit box.(keep in mind, this is a bank box). 1) pretty much theft proof. 2) pretty much fireproof. 3) not water proof. Ziplock important papers and such. I am in hurricane zone here

I put my important stuff in a styrofoam cooler from Piggly Wiggly, bury it in the back yard, and mark the spot with some old tires.

My grandaddy used to bury his money in old mason jars. It took years to get him to dig it up and put it in the bank. There's probably still money in that yard! :lol:

thermometerpic.jpg

To safely store photographs, cds and dvds, flash drives, sd cards or anything made out of plastic you need to have a media safe that is rated at 125 degrees. Standard fire safes are rated at 350 degrees which is only safe for paper documents. Media safes are more expensive than fire safes because of the temperature rating and the thickness of the safe. You might be ok with a fire safe in the basement for storing media because my neighbors house burned down a few years ago and most everything in the basement was ok with the exception of some water damage from putting out the fire. The way that fire retardant material works on all fire safes with a fire test rating is that they pump moisture into the safe and actually create a "cloud of steam". The Laws of Physics dictates that "steam" will not exceed 350 degrees fahrenheit. So, therefore, all the contents in the safe that are paper products including money will not burn. Paper and money will burst into flames at precisely 451 degrees Fahrenheit. Also keep in mind that most fire and gun safes are not waterproof. They are water resistant. When putting photographs and media in a safe, make sure that they are in zip lock bags that are designed for heating vegetables in boiling water to protect from them from water and steam. These zip lock bags can usually take up to 250 degrees of temperature and will do an ample job of protecting sensitive documents or other items that need to be protected from moisture.

WOW! Thank you Media Man! I am going to print this up and put it on our fire/gun safe as a reminder. Ours is in our basement for this very reason. We have a very small, portable fire safe for small items. I think I will have my husband make room for it in the large gun safe and put our paperwork, photos, etc. inside. That way those items will be protected by TWO firewalls.

What is the temperature where ammo is no longer safe? I know this will vary with the caliber and even the brand but an estimated temperature would be good to know.

Edited by MsGaStorm

WOW! Thank you Media Man! I am going to print this up and put it on our fire/gun safe as a reminder. Ours is in our basement for this very reason. We have a very small, portable fire safe for small items. I think I will have my husband make room for it in the large gun safe and put our paperwork, photos, etc. inside. That way those items will be protected by TWO firewalls.

What is the temperature where ammo is no longer safe? I know this will vary with the caliber and even the brand but an estimated temperature would be good to know.

The biggest problem with ammo and guns that are stored in a safe is condensation. If your safe is in the basement make sure that you have a dehumidifier running. I read in another article that gun powder can ignite at temperatures above 350 degrees and being that the safes are rated at 350 degrees you should be fine. I will do some more research and get back to you with this.

Just FYI on the freezer thing:

When my parents had their house broken into, the thieves went through the freezer.

I assume looking for any credit cards, money, papers etc that people store in their freezers.

Why would you publicly say where you hid things in your home? I don't get it. Then you wonder why you get broken into. You might think no one knows who you are on here, but there are some very smart people out there and can figure it out by clues, that you might not think are clues.

When my parents had their house broken into, the thieves went through the freezer.

I assume looking for any credit cards, money, papers etc that people store in their freezers.

Srsly? I would never think to look there! Of course, I am not a criminal, either. <_<

Why would you publicly say where you hid things in your home? I don't get it. Then you wonder why you get broken into. You might think no one knows who you are on here, but there are some very smart people out there and can figure it out by clues, that you might not think are clues.

I was thinking the same thing. All I have at home are the pet gators, lots of loaded guns and booby traps. But thats ok when my brother is not in lockdown at North Georgia Regional he stays on the property and lurks around with his machete.

Srsly? I would never think to look there! Of course, I am not a criminal, either. <_<

Would I lie to you?

Well okay.......maybe I would but not THIS time.

I'm for serious!

Yep, burglars will look through a freezer but they usually won't take stuff like your Will, insurance policies, home deed, etc... They may find them but will usually leave them behind. We had that happen. The scumbags took about $40.00 worth of meat but left our papers. OTOH, those small fire proof safes they are more than likely going to just pick up and take with them so they can break them open somewhere else other than spending the time in your house. Your important documents will be thrown away or destroyed. They sure aren't going to return them to you...

• Like 1

When my house was broken into they took two box fulls of food out of the fridge and freezer! Crazy. Wonder if they were really looking for cash before they found the steaks?

I didn't mind posting about our safe as an example of a good place to put one (which is the basement) because even when empty that thing weighs well over 1,000 pounds, so I am not worried about it going anywhere. Between the safe being that heavy, a security system, several loaded and hidden firearms, the fact that I am almost always home and a very light sleeper (chronic insomnia), I am not really that worried. Someone would be a complete idiot to try and break into our home because more than likely they would be leaving in a body bag.

Media Man, you suggested running a dehumidifier. The safe has one in it, but we also have a larger room sized one for the room that it is in. We run the larger one whenever we have a lot of rain/humidity in the air. Thank you for all of the info. :)

I had some friends whose house was broken into. In addition to food, some homemade wine and a little bit of cash, the thieves got ........ are you ready for this? Toilet paper.

Fortunately, the friends had the guns locked up in a gun safe and the important papers in a safe attached to the basement floor. Only cash was a few rolls of coins they had out.

When my house was broken into they took two box fulls of food out of the fridge and freezer! Crazy. Wonder if they were really looking for cash before they found the steaks?

In the backyard in a hole....under the body. Ok, bodieS. Worked THIS long.:ninja:

My grandaddy used to bury his money in old mason jars. It took years to get him to dig it up and put it in the bank. There's probably still money in that yard! :lol:

The new version of that is a piece of 3 or 4 inch PVC pipe with caps on both ends. You can bury it with post hole diggers making it impossible to see the spot (if you are careful) and it can't be located with a metal detector.

• Like 2

The new version of that is a piece of 3 or 4 inch PVC pipe with caps on both ends. You can bury it with post hole diggers making it impossible to see the spot (if you are careful) and it can't be located with a metal detector.

I guess I got a lot of digging to do to get to your buried treasure, huh.

Just make out with your girlfriend in his backyard and you can keep an eye on what he's doin'. :D

Just make out with your girlfriend in his backyard and you can keep an eye on what he's doin'. :D

How did you know that is where me and my girlfriend go to suck face?

If I give you a map could you get started Saturday? "X" marks the spot. Pay no attention to where it says "rose" or "shrub" or "tree". Those words are just code for the type of treasure I have there.

Sweet... now any thieves know where to look and where not to bother in all your homes. And which have sheeze worth taking.