Paulding.com

Which is better?

Which is better ....Comcast cable and internet, Direct TV with AT&T internet, or Dish 1000 + with their internet provider?

We are looking at leaving Comcast and are just not sure if our other 2 choices are really any better. Right now, we know the evil that we have to deal with and don't want to end up cutting our nose off to spite our faces.

We have been told that we are at the end of the line with the cable and have to have amplifiers in our home in order to get any kind of decent cable tv or internet service. I've been told by others that there is no such thing as being at the end of the line.

We've had DirecTv for 11 or 12 years, now. Other than the occasional outage from thunderstorms, it's as good a service as any I've ever had. Need to upgrade our receivers to HD but it's still a great product.

Have BellSouth's DSL, and hate it. Slow, it drops out whenever it gets below 15*F, and it is expensive. My 3g iPhone is faster than BellSouth.

I recently sold a business in another city where I had to deal with Comcrooks. Corporately, they are liars, shysters, and have crappy service. (And that is the nicest thing I can say about them.) I wouldn't waste a pint of pee on them if they were on fire.

Which is better ....Comcast cable and internet, Direct TV with AT&T internet, or Dish 1000 + with their internet provider?

We are looking at leaving Comcast and are just not sure if our other 2 choices are really any better. Right now, we know the evil that we have to deal with and don't want to end up cutting our nose off to spite our faces.

We have been told that we are at the end of the line with the cable and have to have amplifiers in our home in order to get any kind of decent cable tv or internet service. I've been told by others that there is no such thing as being at the end of the line.

We've had Direct TV and AT&T internet for over 2 years and have been very pleased. The only issue I have is that the second the 1 yr agreement was up with AT&T , our internet bill went from $14.99 to $42.99 per month and they aren't very interested in lowering it to keep us as customers. But, the service with Direct TV has been so good, we pay the difference.

Through 3 snowstorms right after we DTV was installed in 2010, we didn't lose signal once. Same with thunderstorms. I do like our services much better than Comcast, which we had for 13 years before the switch.

Truth of the matter is, one is not really any better than the other price wise. They're gonna get their money out of you one way or another. Uverse is the best quality wise, but only in certain areas and really depends on your distance from the equipment. If your in an area too far for the equipment or even marginally far, the service can be spotty. Comcast can be consistant but when it goes out or you have problems, you might as well get the DVD player warmed up, it's gonna be a wait and their customer service is horrifying at times. DirectTV/Dish has its legendary one main issue, when the weather is bad, the service goes out. Not much they can do about that. So it really just boils down to what you're willing to put up with and the area you live it...

Same as momof3 (duh). We have DirecTV, which is beyond fabu. It VERY rarely goes out, and then not for very long. Cable went out mroe than this ever has. I love DirecTV so much I could be a walking commercial for them. Do have BellSouth DSL, which isn't real fast, but it's enough for what I need.

As Thoughts said there is really not one that is better then the other. What you have to consider is what is going to be your TV and Internet needs. You also have to look at your area. If you do not have a clear view of the Eastern sky??(I think) satellite might not be your best option.

If you do not watch a lot of TV or use a lot of Internet then a basic package would probably suffice. I find it funny how many people will buy "premium" packages then never even watch the channels that are include or pay for "blazing" Internet speed and then just occasionally surf the web.

Personally I have been with Comcast for close to 9 years now and I do not have any complains. It has only gone out 1 or 2 times and that was during some very bad storms and it is probably not a good idea to be watching TV during a bad thunderstorm anyway. The only time I ever had any real issue was when I moved and they fixed it straight away when I called them.

Before that I was using DirectTV and also never had any issues either.

If your satellite goes out during rain storms it is because the dish is not installed correctly.

Same as momof3 (duh). We have DirecTV, which is beyond fabu. It VERY rarely goes out, and then not for very long. Cable went out mroe than this ever has. I love DirecTV so much I could be a walking commercial for them. Do have BellSouth DSL, which isn't real fast, but it's enough for what I need.

:)

Short answer: it depends.

Long answer: It depends on many factors and other's experiences may not be the same as what you would experience. Much of the stability and performance depends on your area. I've had all of them over the years and had problems with every one although most of the time they all work well. Comcast internet is clearly faster than DSL or U-Verse. DSL is older technology and pretty slow compared to other technologies. U-Verse is better but still usually slower than cable. I will agree though that Comcast tech support is usually useless.

I'm a COMCAST person. I've had them for at least 20 years if not longer. I depend on them for my internet and I've never been down. Never, not even for TV . I have a wireless router and everything we have is connected.

I think you're either a dish person or a cable person. I've never wanted the dish or the contract that comes with it.

AT&T requires a contract for crap. Their DSL is crap. I would never use AT&T. And either way, you're going to pay. And you get what you pay for.

But that's just me :pardon:

I have comcast tv and att internet. never had a problem with either. I'm not a bundler because I don't like to put all my eggs in one basket.

We have the same. No problems with either service. I wish Comcast would let us pick what channels we want to receive and pay accordingly, not just package levels like they have now. I mean pick every channel we want to get. We could do without the golf channel and all of the stupid sports channels, and also the Chinese channels that sometimes show up. :blink:

I know Uverse was not one of your options but after 10 years with Comcast we left them in September to go with AT&T and Uverse. We never had an issue with Comcast but the move was about the bottom dollar. We have always had TV, internet and phone with Comcast although we tried several times to drop the phone as we never use it. But, it was more extensive to "unbundle". We have more services (like being able to record more than 2 shows and having to watch one of those) with Uverse and are saving $80/month.

Before having Comcast we had DirecTV but left them because we lost cable every time the wind blew or it rained hard. They have probably improved the equipment since then, tho.

I'm a COMCAST person. I've had them for at least 20 years if not longer. I depend on them for my internet and I've never been down. Never, not even for TV . I have a wireless router and everything we have is connected.

I think you're either a dish person or a cable person. I've never wanted the dish or the contract that comes with it.

AT&T requires a contract for crap. Their DSL is crap. I would never use AT&T. And either way, you're going to pay. And you get what you pay for.

But that's just me :pardon:

I don't dispute your experiences, but I don't have a contract with either DirecTV or AT&T. I did have an agreement that I would stick with DirecTV for one year because the installation was free, but that was the closest either has come to a contract.

It's funny I just found this topic. I called and cancelled my cable tv and phone service with Comcast this morning. We bought an antenna and have about 70 channels over the air. We also have Roku without any paid services such as Nextflix, etc. We also found a pre-paid home phone service through Straight Talk for $15 a month. It includes caller id, call waiting, etc. with unlimited local and long distance calling. The calls are very clear on both ends.

We are only keeping Comcast internet because Comcast is the only service offered in my area above 1.5 (whatever its called). ATT doesn't have Uverse where I live at the moment.

I am a HUGE fan of DirecTV. Best customer service anywhere and one of the best ran companies in existence today. I've used them for almost 25 years and would not think about changing at this point.

As for internet...they pretty much all suck. We dropped AT&T last year because of rising prices and a lack of speed (no UVerse available at my house yet) and went with Comcast. They cost less and have a great product, but their customer service is beyond terrible and their technicians are clueless. They never did get my phone working with my alarm system, I had to do it. Plus it took them three trips to get the rest of the installation close to right. Even then, they left the interface box hanging wide open.

Long answer: It depends on many factors and other's experiences may not be the same as what you would experience. Much of the stability and performance depends on your area. I've had all of them over the years and had problems with every one although most of the time they all work well. Comcast internet is clearly faster than DSL or U-Verse. DSL is older technology and pretty slow compared to other technologies. U-Verse is better but still usually slower than cable. I will agree though that Comcast tech support is usually useless.

What, who, is U-Verse? Phone wire, cable, cloud, what??? Video, internet, what?

Not the case with us. Uverse is much faster than Comcast was!!

• Like 1

It's funny I just found this topic. I called and cancelled my cable tv and phone service with Comcast this morning. We bought an antenna and have about 70 channels over the air. We also have Roku without any paid services such as Nextflix, etc. We also found a pre-paid home phone service through Straight Talk for $15 a month. It includes caller id, call waiting, etc. with unlimited local and long distance calling. The calls are very clear on both ends.

We are only keeping Comcast internet because Comcast is the only service offered in my area above 1.5 (whatever its called). ATT doesn't have Uverse where I live at the moment.

Just wondering what you meant by you have a Roku but no paid services.... What do you watch on it that is free?

Just wondering what you meant by you have a Roku but no paid services.... What do you watch on it that is free?

There are a lot of free things to watch on Roku. Crackle is one of our favs. They shows some movies we like. We cannot get "newer" movies on Roku without a paid service, but that's ok, because free is free. Also, Amazon has some free movies you can watch on Roku.

When you look at the Roku site under channels, select a channel you are interested in and it tells you if it is a free channel or a paid subscription. If it is paid, I do not add it. :)

There are a lot of free things to watch on Roku. Crackle is one of our favs. They shows some movies we like. We cannot get "newer" movies on Roku without a paid service, but that's ok, because free is free. Also, Amazon has some free movies you can watch on Roku.

When you look at the Roku site under channels, select a channel you are interested in and it tells you if it is a free channel or a paid subscription. If it is paid, I do not add it. :)

Rokus are awesome. If you have Amazon Prime there are tons of movies you can watch for free.

Not the case with us. Uverse is much faster than Comcast was!!

You might have had a slower plan. Cable internet is capable of far greater speeds than Uverse. I typically run 35 meg download at home on Comcast. They have business plans with over 100 meg speeds.

I just got the email yesterday that Uverse is now available in our subdivision in North Paulding, so they are expanding the area for it quickly. I got interested when I saw the discounts they are offering, I guess they want some revenue ASAP off the new equipment. With triple play, the savings is extended to 2 years.

I wonder how long it will be before we are forced onto it. Some friends in Cobb had ATT phone and DSL, and out of the blue were told that DSL was being discontinued in their area and they had to go to Uverse or lose their internet.

Only complaint I've heard on Uverse is that it can take quite a while to get it going. Our friends had no internet for several weeks with visits every other day or so from AT&T techs trying to get it going.

I just got the email yesterday that Uverse is now available in our subdivision in North Paulding, so they are expanding the area for it quickly. I got interested when I saw the discounts they are offering, I guess they want some revenue ASAP off the new equipment. With triple play, the savings is extended to 2 years.

I wonder how long it will be before we are forced onto it. Some friends in Cobb had ATT phone and DSL, and out of the blue were told that DSL was being discontinued in their area and they had to go to Uverse or lose their internet.

Only complaint I've heard on Uverse is that it can take quite a while to get it going. Our friends had no internet for several weeks with visits every other day or so from AT&T techs trying to get it going.

Ours was installed and up-and-running in one afternoon. It's all IP based...obviously the internet is IP based, the TV is IPTV and then VOIP for the phone. They ran fiber to the AT&T boxes up the road to greatly increase bandwidth to our little area. They used our existing phone jack to plug up their modem/router (wireless is built into the modem) and then there's a coax connection between the router to an existing cable wall outlet...this feeds the TV signal throughout the house. Of course, there's also the regular RJ-45 outputs for any wired connections/peripherals you want to use. They also install it with an UPS unit to backup power to the router.

We have the 24mbps internet, U300 tv w/5 receivers, and home phone and it costs us about $240/mo (now that all the discounts have run out). It's more than I want to pay, to tell you the truth, but I have been happy with its reliability and, when I've had to contact them, customer service. We had AT&T DSL and home phone prior to this with DirecTV and I was less than impressed. The DSL wasn't near as reliable or fast and DirecTV would consistently go out during storms (right when I'm trying to watch tornado coverage).

mrnn