Paulding.com
Sign in to follow this  
greg30127

Kid Slapped on a Plane....

I did a quick scan of several pages and surprisingly didn't see this, but if it's already being discussed sorry to repeat.

Ok, we're already hanging this guy by the neck and so far nothing has come out in the way of witnesses. No airline employees seem to have seen or heard this when it happened... no other passengers, no cabin security camera footage, etc. We're taking one person's word against another, and already presumed guilt.

Now, he may very well have done this, and if he did, he should get the law book tossed in his direction, and he deserved to be fired from his employer as he was. But one thing is bugging me about this, and maybe the Moms in here can answer it: Why, as a Mother, if this did really happen to you, would you start going on a media interview blitz about it? She's already granted numerous TV, paper, and I believe is lining up a couple of radio interviews, and now... this: http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/video/crying-toddler-jonah-bennett-allegedly-slapped-stranger-flight-18528228 . I'm sorry for her if this happened to her and her child, but exactly what is the motivation (or goal) to make sure you appear in every media outlet out there to discuss it? Maybe I just come from a different place, but "my people" would handle this between ourselves, the airlines, and the person involved in it - not broadcast it to all who will watch us on TV.

• Like 2

I heard that there were several witnesses on the plane, one of which was an air Marshall--thus the swift and immediate arrest.

And seriously...if an air Marshall witnessed it, how many more witnesses does the family need?

• Like 2

I heard that there were several witnesses on the plane, one of which was an air Marshall--thus the swift and immediate arrest.

And seriously...if an air Marshall witnessed it, how many more witnesses does the family need?

Ok, if there was a witness, then that's good - it at least establishes the fact that the Mom is correct, and the guy did do it. Fine - throw the book at him.

But the next question remains - instead of handling this through the legal system, airlines, etc., it appears that Mom is going somewhat out of her way to make sure she's seen and heard discussing it through varied local media outlets, radio, and now an ABC News video interview (?). So the second part of my question remains... what maybe is the motive behind granting so many public interviews about it?

They would have had to carry the "man" off the plane if it was my kid. The guy was arrested before for assaulting his girlfriend, the mugshot was from that arrest is the one they keep seeing on the news.

• Like 3

I did a quick scan of several pages and surprisingly didn't see this, but if it's already being discussed sorry to repeat.

Ok, we're already hanging this guy by the neck and so far nothing has come out in the way of witnesses. No airline employees seem to have seen or heard this when it happened... no other passengers, no cabin security camera footage, etc. We're taking one person's word against another, and already presumed guilt.

Now, he may very well have done this, and if he did, he should get the law book tossed in his direction, and he deserved to be fired from his employer as he was. But one thing is bugging me about this, and maybe the Moms in here can answer it: Why, as a Mother, if this did really happen to you, would you start going on a media interview blitz about it? She's already granted numerous TV, paper, and I believe is lining up a couple of radio interviews, and now... this: http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/video/crying-toddler-jonah-bennett-allegedly-slapped-stranger-flight-18528228 . I'm sorry for her if this happened to her and her child, but exactly what is the motivation (or goal) to make sure you appear in every media outlet out there to discuss it? Maybe I just come from a different place, but "my people" would handle this between ourselves, the airlines, and the person involved in it - not broadcast it to all who will watch us on TV.

In my mind..$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.... I may be totally off base, but watching her on one interview gave me some doubt. I haven't seen any photos of the child's "Swollen" eye and scratch that she claimed in that interview. Again, I may be way off.

• Like 1

It wasn't a white baby so it requires twice the usual witnesses. Now if it had been one of Greg's "People" things might be different.

It wasn't a white baby so it requires twice the usual witnesses. Now if it had been one of Greg's "People" things might be different.

I'm asking why "Mom" feels the need to be on every media outlet to discuss what happened (and "Mom" is white, by the way). Don't be a douchebag and shoot an arrow in my direction and try to turn this into something it's not.

Edited by greg30127

... So the second part of my question remains... what maybe is the motive behind granting so many public interviews about it?

I'm assuming the media has pursued the mother. I expect the media realizes this a story that guarantees ratings. "60 year old man attacks small boy".

• Like 1

I'm asking why "Mom" feels the need to be on every media outlet to discuss what happened (and "Mom" is white, by the way). Don't be a douchebag and turn this into something it's not.

Sorry Dude I was way out of line. Tell you what let's get together for lunch, on me. Just tell one of your "people" to call one of my "people" to set something up.

Edited by CitizenCain

I can't decide if you're just really inept at humor or just plain rude.

Not that it matters.

• Like 2

I can't decide if you're just really inept at humor or just plain rude.

Not that it matters.

It doesn't to me. I stopped entertaining people like that years ago - they're not worth it. LOL. But everyone else got my point. :good:

I'm assuming the media has pursued the mother. I expect the media realizes this a story that guarantees ratings. "60 year old man attacks small boy".

My thoughts as well. How do we know that she was the one who approached the media?

• Like 2

Looks to me like the mother is gearing up for a huge lawsuit--she thinks she is going to get really rich off of this.

Sometimes all that media crap can backfire on you.

They would have had to carry the "man" off the plane if it was my kid. The guy was arrested before for assaulting his girlfriend, the mugshot was from that arrest is the one they keep seeing on the news.

Yes, indeedy - my thoughts exactly. And yes, there were a number of witnesses, many/all of whom gave statements to the police when the plane landed. I don't care what the kid was doing - he's 18 months old, for crying out loud. Oh, yeah...he woulda been hurtin' when he woke up if he'd done that to my kid.

Yeppers - they are all up for some sensationalism.

• Like 1

I'm with Crossroads and probably every other parent on here, I would have hurt him, bad. I know that wasn't part of the question,sorry!

I personally would not do the media circus, but that's just me.

I don't know why she's doing it, money certainly is a possibility. I don't know the person well enough to answer the question.

Edited by dana
  • Like 1

My thoughts as well. How do we know that she was the one who approached the media?

Oh, I'm not saying she specifically approached the media. They need a sensationalism of the day, after all. It's just that even if they're approaching her, she doesn't have to grant all of those interviews. Maybe I just come from a MUCH more private family - we as someone else said on here, would not "participate in the media circus" so publicly after something like that in our family.

Oh, I'm not saying she specifically approached the media. They need a sensationalism of the day, after all. It's just that even if they're approaching her, she doesn't have to grant all of those interviews. Maybe I just come from a MUCH more private family - we as someone else said on here, would not "participate in the media circus" so publicly after something like that in our family.

I think it comes down to this...

The man had a choice in how he wished to react to a crying child.

The mother has a choice in how she wants to react to a mean man.

Personally I think he deserves everything he reaps as a result of his own actions. He didn't ask her opinion on how to address the crying child, he doesn't get a vote on how she responds.

Yea, I get that. I personally don't know if I would participate in the media frenzy or not if it were this were to happen to my child. I do know that I would be super pissed off and I just might want to tell the world what an asshat this guy is. He totally deserves to be outed if what he's being accused of is true.

• Like 3

OK, yeah, I get where you're coming from. I probably wouldn't do the media circus thing, because I am a VERY private person. However, if I thought the case were being mishandled (which I don't get the idea is the case here), I might be persuaded to thump some heads in public. Otherwise, no...I'd let the criminal justice process work (and be glad he's been fired/suspended/whatever from his job).

I think what you discuss here points to the willingness of people these days to lay bare their lives for the world. Hence, the rise of FB, etc. Which is why I'm not on FB. ;)

• Like 1

The guy was intoxicated although that doesn't excuse what he did.

From the interviews I have seen, the mother seems to be dwelling more on the fact that he said the "N" word than that the child was slapped. I would be a whole heck of a lot more concerned with THAT than what he called my child.

I really don't think it was anything more than a drunk jerk mouthing off. What I have been trying to figure out though is --- how did he slap the child? There is very little room when you are sitting in a row like that. Was Mom holding him when it happened? Was the child in the next seat? Did he stand up and do it? AND - was she doing anything to quiet the child? If this had been going on for hours --- the man might have snapped.

Still doesn't make it right for what he said or did, but it seems like a minor incident getting blown into something bigger than it needs to be.

OK, yeah, I get where you're coming from. I probably wouldn't do the media circus thing, because I am a VERY private person. However, if I thought the case were being mishandled (which I don't get the idea is the case here), I might be persuaded to thump some heads in public. Otherwise, no...I'd let the criminal justice process work (and be glad he's been fired/suspended/whatever from his job).

I think what you discuss here points to the willingness of people these days to lay bare their lives for the world. Hence, the rise of FB, etc. Which is why I'm not on FB. ;)

She seemed to be in her early 30s, so I'm guessing she's a little more part of the "facebook mentality" than I am, too. I keep in contact with family members through Facebook and that's it. I don't have to log every fart on the thing, though I do have a couple of cousins who will literally post stuff like, "I have a hell of a yeast infection today", evoking a "REALLY?????" from me. Geeez. Or their husband sneaks around on them and they literally post it within 11 minutes of finding out, in a public area. I mean c'mon... we're at that point now?

And I agree with you - if I felt the airlines were trying to brush this thing under the rug, THEN I'd start contacting a news station or two. But it looks like from the get-go, they were out in the open about it, though to be honest, as quick as it popped up after it happened, I do wonder if 100% of it were the media seeking her out, or the other way around. Guess I'm just odd - my family was WAY more private than that.

From the interviews I have seen, the mother seems to be dwelling more on the fact that he said the "N" word than that the child was slapped. I would be a whole heck of a lot more concerned with THAT than what he called my child.

I really don't think it was anything more than a drunk jerk mouthing off. What I have been trying to figure out though is --- how did he slap the child? There is very little room when you are sitting in a row like that. Was Mom holding him when it happened? Was the child in the next seat? Did he stand up and do it? AND - was she doing anything to quiet the child? If this had been going on for hours --- the man might have snapped.

Still doesn't make it right for what he said or did, but it seems like a minor incident getting blown into something bigger than it needs to be.

Minor incident????? NOthing is minor about a grown ass man slapping a baby!!!

• Like 4

There's Nothing minor about calling a baby the "N" word. There's Nothing minor about slapping a baby.

From what I read the baby was fine until the desent began and the air pressure changed, then he started crying.

The man is rude and crude and a drunk and gets what he deserves. Let somebody slap my baby.....................you'll see somebody try to tear your throat out.

• Like 1

That man didn't do anything that those of us who have traveled for a living hasn't wanted to do at least 100 times.

Maybe so, but the point is he acted on it. This shows he can't keep his cool in stressful situations and who knows what else that type of behavior could lead to.

That man didn't do anything that those of us who have traveled for a living hasn't wanted to do at least 100 times.

And the outcome would have been different if he had called Shanaynay's baby a "N" word or slapped him. That plane would have been turned out. He knew who he could try to pull that off on.!!!

I am equally disturbed by his racial slur.

But that's just me.

And as many times as I flown with a screaming baby nearby, never ONCE have I thought of smacking a baby for crying.

How counterproductive. Right?

The ear pressure one can suffer during descent can HURT. Adults know enough to chew gum or how to pop their ears and relieve the pressure.

Even the most clever baby on the planet wouldn't be able to be talked through that. It hurts. When babies hurt, they cry.

The racial slur combined with this man's physical attack would indicate that he saw this child as something other than what it was--a baby in pain.

I hope they charge him with a hate crime. Simple battery isn't nearly good enough.

And the outcome would have been different if he had called Shanaynay's baby a "N" word or slapped him. That plane would have been turned out. He knew who he could try to pull that off on.!!!

Ick.

Edited by TabbyCat

Yeah. If someone called my kid a nasty name and slapped her (and at 19 months old, wth?) I'd be screaming about it from every mountain top that I could climb.

I garroonteee.

angry.gif The slur was out right wrong,The dip had a few drinks.

But gosh dang.... Don't moms know how to deal with kids on a plane?

Do they even check into what to do with a kid for the expected ear pain?

I fly a lot now and it appears some moms are clue less and when you get what appears to be a spoiled brat on a confined plane. It can get old listening to a crying baby for hours and hours.

A crying, bratty baby gets old quick on a plane.

I just try to ignore them, but would refuse to sit next to a crying baby or the pain in the arse kid that kicks the back of my chair.

And he was probably drunk, and he might even be an alcoholic - which many have defined as an illness - meaning he couldn't control himself.

He'll probably get off on that defense.

It can get old listening to a crying baby for hours and hours.

A crying, bratty baby gets old quick on a plane.

All this happened as the plane was landing.

Slap a baby? No, I can honestly say I have never wanted to do that. Really if you think that is funny. It wasn't :glare:

What about the Mom? Shouldn't she be held partially accountable for the actions of her child?

Just something to thing about, as I know all of us have seen the tons of bratty and just upset kids in stores and they get that way for some reason and some are the kids fault and I tend to think most are the parents fault. No kid is perfect and no parent is either. But some kids, you can tell are just bratty due to poor parenting and there tends to be more and more of that going around.

I would think some serious thought by the mom to bring things to keep the kid occupied and sucking / drinking would have soothed the kids ears and kept the kid with in reasonable crying.

I tend to think she failed a little also.

Just my two cents worth.

This person is not a "Man".

Being drunk is not an excuse. This is behavior he has gotten away with in the past.

I hope he gets sued and he may finally learn a lesson, the hard way.

This is not true and repeating it over and over wont make it true. No matter what color the baby is NO ONE should ever slap a baby much less someone else's baby. I don't understand this mentality of bringing race into all issues. Are you some kind of apologist for black Americans or Latin Americans or American Indians or Filipinos or ?????? What gives?

This is not true and repeating it over and over wont make it true. No matter what color the baby is NO ONE should ever slap a baby much less someone else's baby. I don't understand this mentality of bringing race into all issues. Are you some kind of apologist for black Americans or Latin Americans or American Indians or Filipinos or ?????? What gives?

He is a wealthy white man who feels guilty for having made so much wealth off the backs of the poor.

Or he is going senile and thinks everything is about race.

(KFC is on the top of his list for asking if you want white or dark meat)

:)

Before I heard anything about a Marshall being on the plane in question, I told Hubby that no air Marshall could have saved that SOB from this Mom's wrath. Slap my baby in the face on a plane.............UUUUUMMMMMMM.............I DON'T THINK SO!

Added to the fact that I'd want EVERY SINGLE person this man had EVER met, his co workers, kids, neighbors, etc., to know what kind of SORRY POS he is.

This^ Exactly!

• Like 1