Paulding.com
Sign in to follow this  
barrycdog

Restored Payroll Tax Pinches Those Who Earn the Least

Did you have to do that before the tax was reduced about two years ago?

Social Security and Medicare are not "entitlement" programs in the sense that people think of Medicaid, welfare and Food Stamps as "entitlement" programs. You're ENTITLED to draw Social Security and be covered by Medicare because you have paid into that system through your payroll tax deduction. Medicaid, welfare and Food Stamps are available to those whether or not you have ever paid a dime into ANY system.

I agree that these programs aren't 'entitlement' programs, but what about people who have never worked and still draw SS and receive Medicare? My MIL is one example. She worked about 5 years during her entire adult life and gets both.

I couldn't agree with you more!

Obama does not pass tax measures. Congress does. Please put the blame for that where it belongs--on Congress.

Once again, you're making too much sense! :)

Nope, he doesn't pass laws............he just signs Executive Orders. :drinks:

But I do agree, everyone is getting "pinched" one way or another.

How often is that done by any President?

I've never agreed with the argument that this is just a reinstatement of an old tax, therefore it's not a tax increase. That's just playing fast and loose with definitions. The tax was lowered a few years ago, so that tax rate became x-percent; i.e., tax was lowered. A few years later the tax was raised and became y-percent; i.e., the tax was raised. Calling it a reinstatement of an old rate doesn't negate the fact that the tax got raised.

Just semantics, really, but it bugs me when politicians can't call things what they are because they are trying to fool people. Both sides do this crap all the time.

I take that as a compliment.

Also a complaint. pardon.gifrofl.gif

You make waaaay too much sense to be on this board, go away! :p :p :lol: :lol:

If your MIL worked and paid into the system, no matter how short a time as long as she paid into it long enough to qualify, there is nothing wrong with it.

My paternal grandmother signed up to pay into the Social Security system when it started. She raised chickens and sold eggs so she would pay into the system. She was covered by both. She stopped selling eggs before I was born though. Not sure how long she did that but that is how she "bought into" the system. Back then, you had to pay in to get anything. Yeah, that was a long time ago.

I agree that these programs aren't 'entitlement' programs, but what about people who have never worked and still draw SS and receive Medicare? My MIL is one example. She worked about 5 years during her entire adult life and gets both.

Once again, you're making too much sense! :)

How often is that done by any President?

And people BELIEVE that crap.

It is just a reinstatement of a previous rate, which it's been since I think the late 1980s. Not many people working now remember when it was less than the current rate or the just expired rate. And now people have TMZ, Entertainment Tonight and the late night talk show hosts to tell them what to believe. rolleyes.gif

I've never agreed with the argument that this is just a reinstatement of an old tax, therefore it's not a tax increase. That's just playing fast and loose with definitions. The tax was lowered a few years ago, so that tax rate became x-percent; i.e., tax was lowered. A few years later the tax was raised and became y-percent; i.e., the tax was raised. Calling it a reinstatement of an old rate doesn't negate the fact that the tax got raised.

Just semantics, really, but it bugs me when politicians can't call things what they are because they are trying to fool people. Both sides do this crap all the time.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/02/08/business/restored-payroll-tax-pinches-those-with-the-smallest-checks.html?hp&_r=1&

Jack Andrews and his wife no longer enjoy what they call date night, their once-a-month outing to the movies and a steak dinner at Logan’s Roadhouse in Augusta, Ga. In Harlem, Eddie Phillips’s life insurance payment will have to wait a few more weeks. And Jessica Price is buying cheaper food near her home in Orlando, Fla., even though she worries it may not be as healthy.

E

Like millions of other Americans, they are feeling the bite from the sharp increase in payroll taxes that took effect at the beginning of January. There are growing signs that the broader economy is suffering, too.

I don't see why, back when that 2% was given back to us all the anti-Obama crowd laughed and said it wouldn't have any impact at all. So now that we have to pay it again everyone is bitching about where their money went. What a joke.

I simply don't buy these stories in the NY Times. Color me skeptical. Color me cynical.

I don't see why, back when that 2% was given back to us all the anti-Obama crowd laughed and said it wouldn't have any impact at all. So now that we have to pay it again everyone is bitching about where their money went. What a joke.

Makes you kinda' scratch you're head doesn't it? :blink:

I take that as a compliment.

Also a complaint. pardon.gifrofl.gif

If your MIL worked and paid into the system, no matter how short a time as long as she paid into it long enough to qualify, there is nothing wrong with it.

My paternal grandmother signed up to pay into the Social Security system when it started. She raised chickens and sold eggs so she would pay into the system. She was covered by both. She stopped selling eggs before I was born though. Not sure how long she did that but that is how she "bought into" the system. Back then, you had to pay in to get anything. Yeah, that was a long time ago.

And people BELIEVE that crap.

It is just a reinstatement of a previous rate, which it's been since I think the late 1980s. Not many people working now remember when it was less than the current rate or the just expired rate. And now people have TMZ, Entertainment Tonight and the late night talk show hosts to tell them what to believe. rolleyes.gif

That's the scary part. People will believe anything negative about Obama, taxes, inflation, etc., regardless of the validity of the claim. Bandwagon riders, the lot of them. Not a driver in the bunch.

• Like 2

yahoo.gifpardon.gifpardon.gifpardon.gif

Some know how read the truth in all this BS..

1360438388[/url]' post='3765910']

Makes you kinda' scratch you're head doesn't it? :blink:

That's the scary part. People will believe anything negative about Obama, taxes, inflation, etc., regardless of the validity of the claim. Bandwagon riders, the lot of them. Not a driver in the bunch.