Paulding.com
Sign in to follow this  
barrycdog

Restored Payroll Tax Pinches Those Who Earn the Least

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/02/08/business/restored-payroll-tax-pinches-those-with-the-smallest-checks.html?hp&_r=1&

Jack Andrews and his wife no longer enjoy what they call date night, their once-a-month outing to the movies and a steak dinner at Logan’s Roadhouse in Augusta, Ga. In Harlem, Eddie Phillips’s life insurance payment will have to wait a few more weeks. And Jessica Price is buying cheaper food near her home in Orlando, Fla., even though she worries it may not be as healthy.

E

Like millions of other Americans, they are feeling the bite from the sharp increase in payroll taxes that took effect at the beginning of January. There are growing signs that the broader economy is suffering, too.

I thought it was only supposed to hit the millionaires and billionaires?

So they could pay their fair share!

• Like 1

ALL of my taxes on my paycheck went up as well, I didn't know I made 250K+ until I saw my taxes went up (since we were promised only those making more than 250K).

Ah yes the payroll tax that funds Social Security that was temporally suspended once again raises it's ugly head. Let it go if you live long enough maybe you will get some of it back. As for now get your sorry butt's back to work, my check is due in a couple of weeks. yahoo.gif

• Like 1

George Bush Senior offered a way to take our social security money and put it in a public CD or some other retirement palns. I would rather just pay off student loan and beef up my own 401K. Of course you are aware of what Obamacare has planned for you.

The thing is this is not an increase. It's just a reinstatement of something that had been done for decades.

And it's certainly "affordable".

I hate to tell the people in the article. That 2% should not have made much difference to them. If they made $50,000 a year, it was only $1000 which is less than $100 a month.

• Like 1

The thing is this is not an increase. It's just a reinstatement of something that had been done for decades.

I hate to tell the people in the article. That 2% should not have made much difference to them. If they made $50,000 a year, it was only $1000 which is less than $100 a month.

It is not affordable. I had to halve my food allowance for each month so I can pay bills.

ALL of my taxes on my paycheck went up as well, I didn't know I made 250K+ until I saw my taxes went up (since we were promised only those making more than 250K).

The only taxes that went up on Americans is the payroll deductions, and that is simply a reinstatement of something that was temporarily suspended. The payroll deductions fund the entitlement programs. Income taxes did not go up except on those that make over 450,000$ a year.

Did you have to do that before the tax was reduced about two years ago?

It is not affordable. I had to halve my food allowance for each month so I can pay bills.

Social Security and Medicare are not "entitlement" programs in the sense that people think of Medicaid, welfare and Food Stamps as "entitlement" programs. You're ENTITLED to draw Social Security and be covered by Medicare because you have paid into that system through your payroll tax deduction. Medicaid, welfare and Food Stamps are available to those whether or not you have ever paid a dime into ANY system.

The only taxes that went up on Americans is the payroll deductions, and that is simply a reinstatement of something that was temporarily suspended. The payroll deductions fund the entitlement programs. Income taxes did not go up except on those that make over 450,000$ a year.

I had a better paying job then, my bills have neither increased nor decreased. I make less than half what I did thanks to the economy.

Did you have to do that before the tax was reduced about two years ago?

Social Security and Medicare are not "entitlement" programs in the sense that people think of Medicaid, welfare and Food Stamps as "entitlement" programs. You're ENTITLED to draw Social Security and be covered by Medicare because you have paid into that system through your payroll tax deduction. Medicaid, welfare and Food Stamps are available to those whether or not you have ever paid a dime into ANY system.

I was using the term as the American budget definition, of required spending that the American taxpayer pays into and receives money back (or simply receives money from the program), verses spending that is discretionary, e.g., roads and such.

I wonder how people managed to survive before the "temporary" tax decrease?

:pardon: :pardon:

Excellent point.

Did yours go up??? :wacko:

Then the tax really isn't the problem. It's the fact that you make less than half of what you did. So do I, BTW.

I had a better paying job then, my bills have neither increased nor decreased. I make less than half what I did thanks to the economy.

mellow.gif Well I know one program that needs to go is the earned income credit.

No one should get more money back then they pay in.

I bet it would save billions if it was eliminated.

• Like 3

Our brilliant powers that be should have used their heads they should have realized that people would adjust their lifestyle to the cut and came up with a plan to ease the reinstatement in. Maybe then they wouldn't be considered so ignorant. A smarter approach might have been to phase the increase back in, maybe a half a percent a year. Then it would be a non issue.. But that is asking Obsma to think long term seems to be a bit of a stretch.... Four more years.... dry.gif

wacko.gif Lets see... We are arse deep in debt and he is letting a tax cut go back to what it was before. Humm complain about spending and someone had to pay for all of it.... Time to pony up your fair share and suck it up.

Do people in the south always complain about everything?

Oh and we are still supporting the oil companies tax cuts that Bush and republicans still stand in defending. Ask your republican leaders to cut that tax cut will ya?

1360370283[/url]' post='3765499']

Our brilliant powers that be should have used their heads they should have realized that people would adjust their lifestyle to the cut and came up with a plan to ease the reinstatement in. Maybe then they wouldn't be considered so ignorant. A smarter approach might have been to phase the increase back in, maybe a half a percent a year. Then it would be a non issue.. But that is asking Obsma to think long term seems to be a bit of a stretch.... Four more years.... dry.gif

wacko.gif Lets see... We are arse deep in debt and he is letting a tax cut go back to what it was before. Humm complain about spending and someone had to pay for all of it.... Time to pony up your fair share and suck it up.

Oh and we are still supporting the oil companies tax cuts that Bush and republicans still stand in defending. Ask your republican leaders to cut that tax cut will ya?

I have said it many times before... Go ahead and drop the oil co. incents. I have no problem with that. Then we will just watch as the new cost of goods / supply / demand take gas prices to even higher prices. I'm sure the "poor" will just LOVE the new higher gas prices. You have no problem with the gvt. subsidizing rent, food and healthcare so why do you have a problem with them subsidizing something that is REQUIRED by most of the country to either get to work or do their job?

1360371386[/url]' post='3765502']

Um, you know what they say about assuming dontcha sparky? Not a "party" person. I thought his cut was a lame brain move then and now and I had no problem with my fair share then or now, just the fact that it was done at all.... Now move along and try to find a legitimate rant... wacko.gif

I couldn't agree with you more!

mellow.gif Well I know one program that needs to go is the earned income credit.

No one should get more money back then they pay in.

I bet it would save billions if it was eliminated.

Obama does not pass tax measures. Congress does. Please put the blame for that where it belongs--on Congress.

1360372958[/url]' post='3765518']

I couldn't agree with you more!

Obama does not pass tax measures. Congress does. Please put the blame for that where it belongs--on Congress.

So Obama had nothing to do with the cut nor did he support it? Buy a clue....

He does not pass laws. PERIOD. He can suggest laws, he can support laws and he signs them into law when they are passed but he DOES NOT PASS LAWS. Only Congress has that authority.

So Obama had nothing to do with the cut nor did he support it? Buy a clue....

1360374111[/url]' post='3765526']

He does not pass laws. PERIOD. He can suggest laws, he can support laws and he signs them into law when they are passed but he DOES NOT PASS LAWS. Only Congress has that authority.

Your reputation precedes you, well earned... drinks.gif

To the American Right Wing Extremist ...

Anything bad happens, it is Mr. Obama's fault.

Anything good happens, Mr. Obama had nothing to do with it.

Anything the Extremists don't like, it is Mr. Obama's fault.

Anything the Extremists like, Mr. Obama is trying to stop it.

It's a very simple world.

Edited by zoocrew

1360374328[/url]' post='3765531']

To the American Right Wing Extremist ...

Anything bad happens, it is Mr. Obama's fault.

Anything good happens, Mr. Obama had nothing to do with it.

Anything the Extremists don't like, it is Mr. Obama's fault.

Anything the Extremists like, Mr. Obama is trying to stop it.

It was all GWB's fault so isn't it obsma's turn? rofl.gif

I wonder how people managed to survive before the "temporary" tax decrease?

:pardon: :pardon:

Since the 2% decrease in 2011, the cost of goods has increased substantially. Without that 2% increase, people didn't feel it as much. Gas is taking more than 2% in today's economy.

BTW, it wasn't a SS decrease, it was a "stimulus" for those that actually work to put more money back into the economy. They used the payroll deduction so it would only effect those who had jobs. The general fund was to reimburse the shortage of SS funding this created. Wonder if that ever "happened" This has absolutely no impact on those receiving "entitlements".

Social Security and Medicare are not entitlements, and our rights are not gifts from the government.

Edited by tundra
  • Like 1

Wonderful explanation of it!

good.gif

And that last part is the best part.

Since the 2% decrease in 2011, the cost of goods has increased substantially. Without that 2% increase, people didn't feel it as much. Gas is taking more than 2% in today's economy.

BTW, it wasn't a SS decrease, it was a "stimulus" for those that actually work to put more money back into the economy. They used the payroll deduction so it would only effect those who had jobs. The general fund was to reimburse the shortage of SS funding this created. Wonder if that ever "happened" This has absolutely no impact on those receiving "entitlements".

Social Security and Medicare are not entitlements, and our rights are not gifts from the government.

1360374111[/url]' post='3765526']

Let me ask you this, because we know you will know the answer.... Has Congress ever been known to pass something the President wants in order to get something they want? unsure.gif

Certainly. It's called politics.

But the president, whether he be Obama, Bush or LIncoln does not pass laws. Again, let me say this slowly so you'll understand. The president does not pass laws. He can suggest them, he can support them but he cannot pass them. He was not given that power under the Constitution (though we don't use it that much anymore). To blame the president, regardless of who that is, for a LAW is pointless. Look at those 535 members of Congress and you'll see who to blame. They could have said no. But in this case, they did what they should have done. For a change.

Anyone who thought ONLY the rich would have to pay more taxes has no grasp of taxes.

Let me ask you this, because we know you will know the answer.... Has Congress ever been known to pass something the President wants in order to get something they want? unsure.gif

To the American Left Wing Liberals ...

Anything bad happens, it is Mr. Bush's fault.

Anything good happens, Mr. Bush had nothing to do with it.

Anything the Liberals don't like, it is Mr. Bush's fault.

Anything the Liberals like, Mr. Bush is trying to stop it.

See what I did there.

• Like 6

But the president, whether he be Obama, Bush or LIncoln does not pass laws. Again, let me say this slowly so you'll understand. The president does not pass laws. He can suggest them, he can support them but he cannot pass them. He was not given that power under the Constitution (though we don't use it that much anymore). To blame the president, regardless of who that is, for a LAW is pointless. Look at those 535 members of Congress and you'll see who to blame. They could have said no. But in this case, they did what they should have done. For a change.

Anyone who thought ONLY the rich would have to pay more taxes has no grasp of taxes.

Nope, he doesn't pass laws............he just signs Executive Orders. :drinks:

But I do agree, everyone is getting "pinched" one way or another.

1360375742[/url]' post='3765559']

I was with you til the but, then my name took over, truly it did.... :snore:

Yeah, he waits until the cat is away.

That said, he would be in some deeeeeeeeeep doo-doo if he passed a tax law while Congress was not in session. He might get away with some stuff but not that.

Nope, he doesn't pass laws............he just signs Executive Orders. :drinks:

But I do agree, everyone is getting "pinched" one way or another.

Did I not say it slowly enough for ya'?pardon.gif

I was with you til the but, then my name took over, truly it did.... :snore:

To the American Left Wing Liberals ...

Anything bad happens, it is Mr. Bush's fault.

Anything good happens, Mr. Bush had nothing to do with it.

Anything the Liberals don't like, it is Mr. Bush's fault.

Anything the Liberals like, Mr. Bush is trying to stop it.

See what I did there.

Absolutely. I agree. 100% I agree.

In this case, I was responding to the call that Mr. Obama did this and how dreadful it was. I have to wonder, if it had been an American Right Wing president who instituted the payroll deduction holiday, would be also have gotten the blame when it expired? Fact is, the holiday was a very good move for either side on the political divide and it has now come to an end. Trying to make political hay of it is, really, an ignorant attempt.

• Like 1

1360376454[/url]' post='3765573']

Yeah, he waits until the cat is away.

That said, he would be in some deeeeeeeeeep doo-doo if he passed a tax law while Congress was not in session. He might get away with some stuff but not that.

Did I not say it slowly enough for ya'?pardon.gif

Guess you missed the snore part... rofl.gif

I keep thinking maybe if I just say it the second time to start with, he will listen to me. Says he has great hearing, and he does, so I know it's just that he doesn't LISTEN. I'm just as guilty, though. But I'm half deaf. Really. Hard of hearing in one ear and darn near totally deaf in the other.

What?

:rofl: :rofl:

You make waaaay too much sense to be on this board, go away! :p :p :lol: :lol: