Paulding.com

Yes to Granola, No to Candy

Under new guidelines by the United States Agricultural Department, schools will have to limit vending machines with candy bars and instead will be seeing granola bars and dried fruit in their place. The nutritional standards are aimed at helping to curb the problem of unhealthy eating habits.

My link

Bloody well good then mate.

Now if we could just apply the same lovely standards to the Universities in Briton maybe we could save the little whipper snappers teeth.

Of course they will have to limit the granola type bars to those that do not have any kind of nuts because we don't want someones precious little darling to go into shock.

Cheerio pip pip.

• Like 1

Alot of granola and dried fruit snacks are just as bad as the candy bars. They just cost more. :)!

They seem better because "omg granola!" but yeah, they have the same crap in them if you aren't careful about reading labels.

Found this out the hard way. :closedeyes:

Ounce for ounce and comparing cost of granola to a candy bar, the former is by far the better option. The new guidelines are basically saying: The children have a dollar to spend in a vending machine and are hungry, so what is the better option for that moment?

Granola. By far.

Ounce for ounce and comparing cost of granola to a candy bar, the former is by far the better option. The new guidelines are basically saying: The children have a dollar to spend in a vending machine and are hungry, so what is the better option for that moment?

Granola. By far.

Jolly Good, but if they have a Pound and there is a chocolate bar and a granola bar in the machine which one do you seriously thing they are going to get?

I would bet you a 100 pence they go for the chocolate bar 9 times out of 10.

pip pip.

I didn't see a vending machine in school until I entered tech school. I spent all my money on Zero bars and Pepsi's. But I also weighed 118 pounds and was active.

Take the vending machine out of the school. I didn't have one when I was a kid. I survived.

Or, alternatively.

snack-vending-machine1.jpg 427784800_dd97144186.jpg

There's always a better option.

BY FAR a better choice? Hardly.

Nature Valley Oats and Honey granola bar:

nutrition grade C+

Marathon Nutrition Dark Chocolate Crunch

nutrition grade A

Oh, and the Marathon bar is bigger than the granola bar.

And if you have the same trouble I do with these bars, they crumble into the floor before you have a chance to eat them :lol:

I burn off more energy sweeping them up off the floor.

That or they go down my shirt and I'm having to dance around to get the granola out of my bra! And I can't dance. Trust me on that. pardon.gif

And if you have the same trouble I do with these bars, they crumble into the floor before you have a chance to eat them :lol:

I burn off more energy sweeping them up off the floor.

• Like 1

Vending machine don't need to be in schools. Period. It's all about money, if schools cared about the 'health' of the kids, they wouldn't be there at all. They want the profits from those machines to pad the coffers of the school, healthier kids be damned.

Edited by momof 3

1) TAKE OUT THE MACHINES

2) If you fall for the thought that dried fruit and granola bars are nutritionally helpful,more so than a candy bar, you very well may have a point IN SOME CASES. With that said, its RIDICULOUS to say granola bars are helpful with obesity- THE MAJORITY are loaded with oils,fats,sugars,etc. And SOY. Say what you will about soy, but it is a very fattening thing!! The sugar amounts in dried fruit are concentrated many times over.

Most vending machines are fund raisers in the American educational model. That means the schools are using the immediate needs of the children as a means of filling the budget where the American tax payer is not. The children want a snack and will bring something to the school with them, or they will buy something in a machine. The best option is the school at least make something and give a better option than a Mars Bar.

Edited by zoocrew

Why should the school have to MAKE ANYTHING? Aren't school taxes and other fundraisers enough? Maybe instead of selling junk food to the kids, whether it be granola bars or candy bars, there need to be cutbacks elsewhere like in administrator salaries.

Most vending machines are fund raisers in the American educational model. That means the schools are using the immediate needs of the children as a means of filling the budget where the American tax payer is not. The children want a snack and will bring something to the school with them, or they will buy something in a machine. The best option is the school at least make something and give a better option than a Mars Bar.

• Like 1

Why should the school have to MAKE ANYTHING? Aren't school taxes and other fundraisers enough? Maybe instead of selling junk food to the kids, whether it be granola bars or candy bars, there need to be cutbacks elsewhere like in administrator salaries.

I have no idea what schools do with their money from the tax paying Joe Public. I'm just giving the rationale that is being given for the vending machines in American schools.

That's the thing. Anything can be explained with "rationale". Even idiotic things.

If the news media says it's OK, it's OK. If the President says it's OK, it's OK. If the PTA says it's OK, it's OK. Folks, it's NOT OK for the schools to make money off the people who are already paying the bill.

When my kids were in school, I absolutely, positively refused to take part in fundraisers. I was already paying school taxes on two pieces of property and saw no reason to hit my friends and family up for more money.

Speaking of property taxes, I feel naked. I only own one property for the first time since December 1978! I guess I better go buy something. good.gif

[/size]

I have no idea what schools do with their money from the tax paying Joe Public. I'm just giving the rationale that is being given for the vending machines in American schools.

I had some glazed marble cake from Publix. Chocolate would have been good, though. That's my favorite thing in the whole world. Other than the beach.

Sorry it took me so long to reply, I was licking the chocolate from my fingers so I wouldn't get the keys sticky.

Keep the vending machines but put a lengthy obstacle course in front of it and a lock than can only be opened upon completion of a complex math problem. :)

Complex math problem?

With a lot of the kids I see these days, simply asking them to make change for $21.00 when the bill is $11.00,

without using a calculator, is a complex math problem.

Granola. By far.

Hummh. I just learned something interesting. All this time, I had been under the assumption that the Brits' units of measure were metric, meaning that their granola bars are sold by the gram, not the ounce. And that their vending machines accepted the Pound Sterling or a Euro bill. Didn't dream that the teens in the UK were carrying pictures of George Washington around and buying their candy by the ounce.