Paulding.com

Taking pictures of houses

Somebody was stopped in the street today taking pictures of my neighbor's house. They had some kind of contraption in their car that the camera was hooked into. I'm assuming that he was downloading the pictures. He'd take a picture and then press something on the contraption (for lack of a better word). Do real estate companies do this? Or high tech thieves casing houses? I'm being half nosy on one hand but sincerely curious on the other. If her house is in foreclosure or her car is being repossessed I can understand pictures. I've not seen anything like that before though. I'm pretty low tech and old school, just never seen that before. l

some Insurance reps go and take pics of the house they are insuring

Do they park in the street and take pictures from their car though? My insurance rep got out and walked around the yard taking pictures all over, from all sides of the house.

Could be any of a number of things.

Appraisers do that when getting comparables for property.

Tax appraisers do that when gathering information for taxes.

Insurance companies do that, as Tess said.

Because your house is in full view when the street, it's not private property and it's NOT illegal for ANYONE to take a picture of it.

What do you mean "Somebody was stopped in the street today taking pictures of my neighbor's house"? Stopped how and by whom?

Stopped as in they drove up and stopped their car in the street, impeding the flow of traffic. Not stopped as in someone made them stop taking pictures.

Edited by SusieQ404

One time years ago my grandma had a beautiful sugar maple tree in her yard. A man stopped and took a picture of it because it was so pretty in the fall. So it could be as innocent as a tree enthuesist.

Nah, they do that at my house. Every fall somebody wants to take pictures of the pear tree in my front yard with its bright red leaves. She's got nothing in her yard. No trees, no flowers beds. No ornamental sculpture. Nothing. Probably was something legit. He did wave to me as he left. And while I am completely familiar with appraisers and the like taking pictures, my question was really more about the technical aspect. I have never seen someone take pictures sitting in a car and download them into some piece of technology attached to the dashboard of their car. It looked like a tv screen attached to the dashboard but it was the size of an ipad.

If you use Google maps, for example, and look at the street view, you will see houses and businesses. They use cars with cameras strapped to them to photograph or video the whole area. Look it up, those are some crazy looking cars. Maybe this is what was going on.

My link

Hopefully the link will work.

• Like 1

we had a dark blue charger , black male driver taking pictures, 3 different occasions, for over 3 months of our home . last month i yelled out the window and asked him what gives . he said our mortgage servicer requested the pictures to determine if someone was actually living in our home . What, gives ,i surely would not be paying if i was not living here. called the mortgage company -part of re-finance procedure they explained.

this may be what was happening on your street

As above:

•  
  • home owners insurance
  • morgtage company
  • real estate appraisers looking for comps

It isn't illegal and no matter how much people freak out does not make it wrong. What is viewable from a public street has no expectation of privacy. If you bought a house then someone probably took pictures of someone elses house during that process.

• Like 1

It could very well be Craigslist posters too. I have noticed ads on there where someone will advertise pics taken in a certain area. I have also heard on the news where people have rented homes on craigslist or just rented in general . the house is empty,a so called Landlord meets the people , takes a deposit usually cash and gives them a key along with several other people. Skips out with the money from everyone that paid. If I lived in a neighborhood I am not bothered at all of asking what thier business is in my neighborhood? But I don't. But when I did live in one, I did ask and they had better have a good reason, I lived in a culdesac.

If you use Google maps, for example, and look at the street view, you will see houses and businesses. They use cars with cameras strapped to them to photograph or video the whole area. Look it up, those are some crazy looking cars. Maybe this is what was going on.

My link

Hopefully the link will work.

Exactly what I was thinking

we had a dark blue charger , black male driver taking pictures, 3 different occasions, for over 3 months of our home . last month i yelled out the window and asked him what gives . he said our mortgage servicer requested the pictures to determine if someone was actually living in our home . What, gives ,i surely would not be paying if i was not living here. called the mortgage company -part of re-finance procedure they explained.

this may be what was happening on your street

Well now they know someone lives there.

Which doesn't make a lot of sense. As long as the mortgage is current why would they care if the place was occupied or not?? Does not pass the sniff test if you ask me.

Well now they know someone lives there.

Which doesn't make a lot of sense. As long as the mortgage is current why would they care if the place was occupied or not?? Does not pass the sniff test if you ask me.

Because many loans, especially FHA loans, require the home to be occupied by an owner. If the home is unoccupied or found to be a rental then it creates an issue.

My question is IF this person was taking photos of our NEIGHBORS house and NOT YOURS what concern is if of yours? Nosey neighbor syndrome, maybe?

Yeah, that's it, I'm just a nosy neighbor and what goes on in my neighborhood is none of my business . Please! Really? Glad you aren't part of the neighborhood watch in my subdivision.

• Like 1

My question is IF this person was taking photos of our NEIGHBORS house and NOT YOURS what concern is if of yours? Nosey neighbor syndrome, maybe?

The kind of money you spend to buy a home makes it your business when folks are lingering around taking pictures of God knows what, they could be taking pics of your children or someone else. People that do not have anything to hide has no problem answering the question, more neighbors needs to know what is going on , perhaps that so called "nosey neighbor" my prevent your home from being broke into or a child being kidnapped. BTW, we look out for neighbors and they look out for us. Love it.

Again, if it can be seen from the street, it is not private and you should not expect privacy. Should they walk up to your windows, point their camera inside and start taking pictures, then you have a problem. Otherwise, absolutely nothing illegal about it and while you can ASK them to leave, since the street does not belong to you, they are under no obligation to do so.

Again, if it can be seen from the street, it is not private and you should not expect privacy. Should they walk up to your windows, point their camera inside and start taking pictures, then you have a problem. Otherwise, absolutely nothing illegal about it and while you can ASK them to leave, since the street does not belong to you, they are under no obligation to do so.

or you could run outside and fire a warning shot first, before chasing after them and shooting into the car.

• Like 1

And you would be charged with at least assault. If they are not on your property, they are in public.

it was a jab at the news story last week where an elderly man shot and killed a teen in his car, in case you didn't know

"A man was shot and killed after pulling into the wrong driveway in Lilburn"

link:

http://www.gadailynews.com/news/148877-lilburn-man-rodrigo-diaz-killed-after-pulling-into-wrong-driveway-friends-say.html

You know, you all can spout about "nosey neighbor" or public property or whatever else.

If there was a car sitting in the street in front of my house taking pictures of my house or my neighbors, I would have to go out and find out who they are and what they are doing.

If what they are doing is innocent enough, they should have no problem explaining themselves.

If not, then I can always call for an officer to investigate. And I would.

With all of the stealing and home invasions, no one can be too careful.

And that's what I think :p

• Like 1

That's exactly what my husband did recently. They had no problem explaining to him what they were doing there nor did they have a problem explaining to the cute police officer what they were doing there. It appeared to be legit, They were ON the property behind us, a foreclosed house, near dark.

The only thing I can't figure out is why home break ins in our area stopped after that. There had been over 2 dozen in a very short period of time. There has not been one single break in since that. I'm sure it was coincidence that the break ins stopped after the cops came out to talk to the "garage repair" guys.

We have stopped to look at houses and had neighbors come ask us what we were doing there, particularly if the house was for sale but there was no visible sign (the last one was in the door and not in the yard). We simply tell them that we're wanting to buy a house and are looking at the house. In fact, we feel good about the neighborhood if a neighbor actually ASKS us what we're doing there. It means they pay attention.

But still, if the person is IN THE STREET, there is no law against them taking pictures of anything they want that is on your property. It's visible from the street, there is no privacy. You can ask them to leave, you can call the police but all the police will tell YOU is that THEY have every right to do this. Been there, done that.

Never hurts to pay attention, though.

You know, you all can spout about "nosey neighbor" or public property or whatever else.

If there was a car sitting in the street in front of my house taking pictures of my house or my neighbors, I would have to go out and find out who they are and what they are doing.

If what they are doing is innocent enough, they should have no problem explaining themselves.

My sentiment exactly!

Couldn't be Googlemaps or bing, they don't have time to take individual pictures and instead use a car with a camera mast attached to the top of a car. The camera operates off the speed of the car to shoot in multiple directions at the same time. Plus due to legal restrictions they can't publish faces or license plate numbers or other personal info.

My guess is that its someone with a personal interest or investment in the property like the mortgage or insurance company, tax assessors office (when you research property in Fulton County it includes a photo of the property taken by the county), or similar. Maybe its a movie company looking for film locations, a lot of films being shot in the area.

I'm a real estate appraiser and some weeks I take over 100 pictures of homes. Before I got into appraising I used to be a little freaked out as well and totally understand when someone comes out to ask what I am doing. I'm not going to lie though and say I do get a little frightened from time to time. Last month I had a guy come out to the street in his boxers to watch me. When I drove back by (I had to turn around in a cul-de-sac) I rolled down my window and said Hi and explained to him I was out taking pictures of homes that had sold recently. Another time I had an really old lady chase me down in her car. I had actually spoken to her already and told her what I was doing but she decided after that it sounded kind of fishy and followed me in the rain, pulled aside of my car and kept honking. I didn't know who she was right away but finally pulled over and got soaked explaining to her that it was her family that had sent me, I had a letter from the family attorney or accountant with me and finally left. I know I shouldn't be scared of a little old lady but she scared me. :) It is stories like that one last week where someone was shot because he pulled into a driveway to turn around that really put me on high alert. I often use driveways to turn around in and have even been known to pull into the wrong house from time to time. Luckily I'm a Mom in a minivan and don't look too threatening.

A few years ago we were getting ready to paint our house. I went around and took pictures of homes that I thought had great paint schemes. We used the color examples to help us decide. When we narrowed it down to one I mailed a letter to the home owner and she graciously gave us her old paint cans so we could get the color recipe.

Yeah, that's it, I'm just a nosy neighbor and what goes on in my neighborhood is none of my business . Please! Really? Glad you aren't part of the neighborhood watch in my subdivision.

I'd rather have my neighbor's home cased out and broken into than mine. So calling attention to myself or home would be foolish in that case.

The closer it gets to foreclosure day investors have people out taking pictures for possible purchase on the steps. There are a few investors with deep pockets buying up foreclosures in Georgia. Banks will also send out people to take pictures if the homeowner is behind. Many homeowners leave before the actual foreclosure happens and the banks check to see if it is occupied.

• 3 weeks later...