Paulding.com

skating rink

even McDonald's isn't drug free.

y'all are completely forgetting the fact that caffeine is a drug.

When's the last time someone got hopped up on caffeine and shot their spouse, or killed someone in a car accident?

Eating too many cheeseburgers is bad too, but it doesn't cause damage to another person.

Not the same thing as drinking or drugs.

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

With 25 years in the skating industry, including 8 at the facility in question, I feel I must chime in. The industry itself is encouraging rinks to serve beer and wine. This is due to the demand. S

I decided last night to take my GK's skating in Hiram and bought them Icee's at the snack bar and while waiting in line noticed that they are serving alcohol. Now I have been skating since I was 3 yea

I'm going where the alcohol is and far away from cackling hens like you who feel the need to tell others how to live.

Posted Images

When's the last time someone got hopped up on caffeine and shot their spouse, or killed someone in a car accident?

Eating too many cheeseburgers is bad too, but it doesn't cause damage to another person.

Not the same thing as drinking or drugs.

caffeine is a drug. tylenol is a drug.

drugs are drugs. period. some are classified as dangerous, others aren't. doesn't mean they're not still drugs.

myself, i prefer the prescriptions. perfectly legal for me to pop a few xannies and skate my ass off. no way for you to know or judge either. woot!

when's the last time someone got drunk at sparkles and smashed a kid while skating? imagine if that guy was a cheeseburger addict...oh the damage he could do with his fat ass!!!!

• Like 2

From my experience, I am waaaaaaaaaaay more afraid of the people out there who are popping legal prescriptions and then getting on the road to drive. If people want to have two beers at the skating rink, that's fine with me. If they want to get out on the highway after taking a Percocet or a Vicodin and they are too wasted to walk, then I do have a problem with that.

It seems every other person in Paulding is in pain management, which means they are legal drug addicts. But they drive!

caffeine is a drug. tylenol is a drug.

drugs are drugs. period. some are classified as dangerous, others aren't. doesn't mean they're not still drugs.

myself, i prefer the prescriptions. perfectly legal for me to pop a few xannies and skate my ass off. no way for you to know or judge either. woot!

when's the last time someone got drunk at sparkles and smashed a kid while skating? imagine if that guy was a cheeseburger addict...oh the damage he could do with his fat ass!!!!

There should probably be a no fatties rule at the rink as well, of course I would hope anyone truly obese wouldn't try to put on skates anyway....I can say that because I am fat.

I think that being an adult and partaking in adult things comes with the responsibility to know when those things are appropriate and when they aren't. But advertising, tv shows, movies, portray people drinking almost non-stop, but that's not a realistic portrayal of what happens if you are in fact consuming that much wine or beer. Someone mentioned in another thread a tv show, I think it was Cougar Town where they are constantly drinking wine. Lets show an episode of how someone would act if they actually consumed that much wine. I assure you it wouldn't be anything pretty.

It validates people with drinking problems who then see those things and think that's how the average every day person lives, that it's completely normal to put your kids to bed and then down a bottle of wine. While it may be normal for some, it's definitely not the responsible thing to do.

I just feel like our culture is becoming so selfish, and some parents no longer think about what is best for their kids, but they think about what they want to do. If you want to drink all night and party, don't have kids.

After thinking more on the subject....Now that you know the establishment offers beer, if you now choose not to go, so be it. Some may choose to go because they sell, so may choose not too. I'm sure the owner's realized that when weighing their options. I'm sure the County did as well when weighing whether to allow them to serve. If they are within their rights to sell, fine with me. They sell alcohol, you have the choice to pay to get in and skate or to stay away. Your choice. Doesn't bother me.

• Like 1

My 2 cents, and I don't care if you agree with me or not, but, if something is specifically geared towards children ie. skating rink, chuck E cheese, Disney World...I think that it should be alcohol and smoke free and drug free for that matter. I think our society through the media and what have you has made people think that alcohol is suitable at any time at any place. I don't think people should drink when they are transporting children, or when they are supervising children. I think it is a problem if you can't go somewhere with your kids for a short period of time and refrain from drinking. If someone told me tomorrow that I could never take another sip I would be absolutely fine with that. I don't drink around my kids, and I wouldn't want anyone who was in charge of them or transporting them to have anything to drink either.

Drinking is something adults should do around other adults in safe environments. Kids should be allowed to be kids without being exposed to drinking.

How about at professional sporting events? There are kids all around at those places. I have seen some really nasty, foul mouthed drunks at a Braves game....and I told my buddies :drinks: to keep it down or they were going to kick us all out!

• Like 1

Gawd, I need a drink after reading all this! It's five o'clock somewhere! :drinks:

I still love to skate, I will usually go with a friend. My kids care nothing about it. When I go to the skating rink, I go there to skate, not drink, but that's just me. Opinions are like ass holes and you know the rest. I'm sure people could give two cheezes about what I think and that's fine with me. I don't live my life to please others.

Live and let live, treat others as you would want to be treated. That's how I TRY to live my life and I teach the same principles to my kids. Pretty simple concept.

I do not live my life in terms of black in white except when it comes to issues I strongly believe in, e.g., abuse of people, especially children, animals and anyone trying to harm my family or friends.

Do what ya wanna do, just don't infringe on my rights, cause potential harm to me and mine by your careless decisions or try to cram your opinion down my throat.

• Like 5

How about at professional sporting events? There are kids all around at those places. I have seen some really nasty, foul mouthed drunks at a Braves game....and I told my buddies :drinks: to keep it down or they were going to kick us all out!

:rofl:

Well then that goes to the other side, a sporting event is not something specifically geared towards young children, so I would say the responsibility there lies with the parent bringing their kid to the game. If you want to expose your kid to that then it is your choice if you take them to that.

Me personally, I'm not paying to take my kid to a sporting event until they can understand the game, and can sit in their seat for the entirety of the event.

Maybe the owner(s) want to gear more towards adults then children?

I'm a little worried about the state of society if there is more money to be made from 21+ year olds drinking and skating than there is from kids playing at the skating rink.

If I could give you 1000 +'s, I would!!!

You are exactly right. If you only knew!!!

I remember before jeff married ava it was alot cheaper and they didnt sale alcohol. I grew up at that skating rink. I just cant believe what it has turned into. All the older generations that was going there dont go there now because of the crappy music they play. if you were to ask them to play a certain song we dont have it when you know good and well they do cause they played it the other day. They need to rethink alot. I have the utmost respect for jeff and ava. I have known them for a very very long time.

At least there'll soon be a nice new hospital close by...

And maybe the skating rink is trying to attract enough people to stay in business.

Profit - it's sufficient justification for some of the less than ethical practices of other many larger businesses these days.

My 2 cents, and I don't care if you agree with me or not, but, if something is specifically geared towards children ie. skating rink, chuck E cheese, Disney World...I think that it should be alcohol and smoke free and drug free for that matter. I think our society through the media and what have you has made people think that alcohol is suitable at any time at any place. I don't think people should drink when they are transporting children, or when they are supervising children. I think it is a problem if you can't go somewhere with your kids for a short period of time and refrain from drinking. If someone told me tomorrow that I could never take another sip I would be absolutely fine with that. I don't drink around my kids, and I wouldn't want anyone who was in charge of them or transporting them to have anything to drink either.

Drinking is something adults should do around other adults in safe environments. Kids should be allowed to be kids without being exposed to drinking.

Very good post! :good:

I bet there are "NO SKATING AND DRINKING" signs up :rofl: ....I have no problem with it. I believe they have a sign up that says "Skate at your own risk". Our time to go when I was in elementary in the 80's was Saturday mornings. My mother would drop us off. My sister went EVERY monday night, but I was never allowed to go with her. :angry2:

Come on people...get off your high horse :drinks: It may help some moms to encourage their husbands to come skating with the fam....cause you can get a cold one and sit in the rocking chairs while we watch Junior and Sissy skate.

Do they still have the rocking chairs????

I remember before jeff married ava it was alot cheaper and they didnt sale alcohol. I grew up at that skating rink. I just cant believe what it has turned into. All the older generations that was going there dont go there now because of the crappy music they play. if you were to ask them to play a certain song we dont have it when you know good and well they do cause they played it the other day. They need to rethink alot. I have the utmost respect for jeff and ava. I have known them for a very very long time.

SLOW RIDE.....Thats how I became a lover of Rock at such a young age.. :wub:

Edited by Tahoe

New york gal, you may have been in the industry a long time up North but you ain't been involved here as long as "Us,the Old school skating folks". You, Jeff and whoever else that was involved in making this decision can sell your alcohol in there, I am just saying I won't support it and the word is out now for others to decide.I just cannot understand the concept that parents can't Leave it Alone" long enough for thier children sake to skate in a Alcohol free place. I will be going elsewhere.

Told ya, New York Gal... some people just feel their morals need to be the rule for all.

OMG!! You mean a business actually needs to think about making money?

Exactly. I always think it's funny when people think businesses shouldn't think too much about profit. Why else would someone start a business, anyway? I suspect they would be pretty upset if their own bosses stopped trying to make a profit, as they would soon become unemployed.

• Like 2

It seems to me that some people don't get the difference between an adult sitting down sipping on a few beers and relaxing and partying. It is very different, some people never take a drink unless they intend to party. It is also known as binge drinking which is considered problem drinking. They don't have a problem with going long periods without drinking but when they do it is partying.

Binge drinkers will not even buy a drink at the skating rink, if they can't party, they won't drink where they are limited.

Those that think they are doing the right thing getting drunk when the kids are not around are wrong. Binge drinking is a high risk behavior, you always run the risk of your judgment being impaired and bad consequences.

I surely hope that most people can have a few glasses of wine at dinner and their kids would not notice a difference unless there was a little more smiling going on.

If your personality changes that much after a few glasses not only should you not do it around the kids, you should not do it at all. Drastic personality changes when under the influence is the clue it is not for you.

It is not right to assume that everyone that drinks parties and loses control. It is absolutely not true.

I have to have a drink just to handle all those kids that parents just drop off and let Sparkles babysit for them...for a total of what? Maybe $12 at the most... :ninja:

1. Private Company

2. Not a govt. company

3. IT's their business

Don't like ADULTS having a drink...don't go. I have never never never seen anyone drunk up there. Actually I've only seen a couple of people having a beer. The last time I went the girl working behind the counter couldn't even serve because she didn't have license. So, I saw them taking the precautions.

Vote with your feet and take the snowflake to....Monkey Joe's, CatchAir, Jump4Joey, Chili's, O'Charleys, Buffalo's, The movies!!

I think that one was about someone moron getting their panties in a wad because they saw one their brat's teachers having a drink at Chili's or something.

That was one as well, but there was one about the skating rink thing as well. PLUMB DEAD, I tell you!

I bet there are "NO SKATING AND DRINKING" signs up :rofl: ....I have no problem with it. I believe they have a sign up that says "Skate at your own risk". Our time to go when I was in elementary in the 80's was Saturday mornings. My mother would drop us off. My sister went EVERY monday night, but I was never allowed to go with her. :angry2:

Come on people...get off your high horse :drinks: It may help some moms to encourage their husbands to come skating with the fam....cause you can get a cold one and sit in the rocking chairs while we watch Junior and Sissy skate.

Do they still have the rocking chairs????

SLOW RIDE.....Thats how I became a lover of Rock at such a young age.. :wub:

No rocking chairs. That's where they put laser tag.

Zoo, don't your children attend schools and live on campus? In order to attend such a place, I would think you would need your children to actually be in your home.

Every parent thinks differently with THEIR children, and your snotty ass attitude is over the top, hilarious!

Bring on the full moon, the ass hats are out in full force. It's NY girl's business, personally I think she is fiesty and sometimes quite rude...she is going to do what she has to, to make it! Her concern is making money, if it was safety the drugs and under age drinking would not go on there. If your concern is that high over a drunk person falling, get off butt and learn to skate with your children.

To clarify: I no longer work for that company. I left them almost a year ago for a better offer. It was never my decison to add alcohol. I was quite against it, however, I will say that it has worked out well and there haven't been any issues. As for how they keep track of the sales- only a manager is allowed to sell, and typically it is the same manager all day. They don't sell that much, so it's quite easy to keep track of it.

And I am sorry you think I am rude. I almost never intend to be.

To clarify: I no longer work for that company. I left them almost a year ago for a better offer. It was never my decison to add alcohol. I was quite against it, however, I will say that it has worked out well and there haven't been any issues. As for how they keep track of the sales- only a manager is allowed to sell, and typically it is the same manager all day. They don't sell that much, so it's quite easy to keep track of it.

And I am sorry you think I am rude. I almost never intend to be.

I've never seen you be rude NY Gal. Now me? Well, sometimes you are just pushed....just enough.

Anyway, I wish you only the best in your future.

How come we have never met?

I mean, us being fellow Yankees and all. :D

Just spoke to the 'Other skating rink" in Douglasvile and they have no intentions of selling Alcohol. I am sure Carl and Reba are glowing in heaven, but anyhoo there is a "Oldies Reunion" on January 26, 7:00 p.m. to 11:00 p.m. Just letting folks know where they can go if they choose too.

Just spoke to the 'Other skating rink" in Douglasvile and they have no intentions of selling Alcohol. I am sure Carl and Reba are glowing in heaven, but anyhoo there is a "Oldies Reunion" on January 26, 7:00 p.m. to 11:00 p.m. Just letting folks know where they can go if they choose too.

I'm going where the alcohol is and far away from cackling hens like you who feel the need to tell others how to live.

• Like 7

:yahoo:

I don't skate, never have skated successfully (except ice skating), and the two times I attempted to roller skate, I broke a bone ...BOTH times, different bones :p.

That being said, I may visit this establishment for the sole purpose of buying a beer...this woman has definitely set a bug in my bonnet.

:drinks:

• Like 1

:yahoo:

I don't skate, never have skated successfully (except ice skating), and the two times I attempted to roller skate, I broke a bone ...BOTH times, different bones :p.

That being said, I may visit this establishment for the sole purpose of buying a beer...this woman has definitely set a bug in my bonnet.

:drinks:

I hate skating but love beer and this woman has definitely urinated in my corn flakes. Come to think of it, I may have a beer. :)

• Like 1

I met Garden Girl and she seemed nice enough but I really have to agree with you TJB. I really don't enjoy taking sides on the board but GG, you were over the top with your posts.

Live and let live....