Paulding.com

skating rink

It's been throughtly documented. Really, have you not seen any of the special reports, media coverage, etc.?

But Tina took things one step further, surprising even herself with cravings for wine in the morning.

"It happens so quickly that you don't see it coming. You just wake up one morning and you're like, 'Oh my God, you know, why are my hands shaky,' or 'Why do I have this strong urge to have a glass of wine? It's 9:30 in the morning, are you kidding me?'" Tina said.

Tina continued to find ways to rationalize her drinking.

"I tend to justify things, like, 'Oh, it's been a really long day, It's been a really hard day, I'm really stressed out, that's why I'm going to have a drink.' Or, so-and-so upset me today, so I started to drink at things," Tina said.

According to the National Institute on Alcohol Abuse, one third of the alcoholics in this country are women. Overwhelmingly, the women "20/20" spoke to preferred wine to liquor as their drink of choice.

http://abcnews.go.co...ory?id=10511256

It's called alcoholism. It just happens that wine was her drink of choice. Just insert coke-a-cola. It's the same thing.

It's not a drug. It's just like I know that Rum (preferably Bacardi,) and Vodka are not good drinks for me. She has an addiction issues. I smoke cigarettes, I have an addiction. Some folks have an addiction to exercise, food, you name it. Does it make those things drugs? Either way it's not a drug. And, your really stretching it.

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

With 25 years in the skating industry, including 8 at the facility in question, I feel I must chime in. The industry itself is encouraging rinks to serve beer and wine. This is due to the demand. S

I decided last night to take my GK's skating in Hiram and bought them Icee's at the snack bar and while waiting in line noticed that they are serving alcohol. Now I have been skating since I was 3 yea

I'm going where the alcohol is and far away from cackling hens like you who feel the need to tell others how to live.

Posted Images

It's been thoroughly documented. Really, have you not seen any of the special reports, media coverage, etc.?

But Tina took things one step further, surprising even herself with cravings for wine in the morning.

"It happens so quickly that you don't see it coming. You just wake up one morning and you're like, 'Oh my God, you know, why are my hands shaky,' or 'Why do I have this strong urge to have a glass of wine? It's 9:30 in the morning, are you kidding me?'" Tina said.

Tina continued to find ways to rationalize her drinking.

"I tend to justify things, like, 'Oh, it's been a really long day, It's been a really hard day, I'm really stressed out, that's why I'm going to have a drink.' Or, so-and-so upset me today, so I started to drink at things," Tina said.

According to the National Institute on Alcohol Abuse, one third of the alcoholics in this country are women. Overwhelmingly, the women "20/20" spoke to preferred wine to liquor as their drink of choice.

http://abcnews.go.co...ory?id=10511256

Wine in the morning is nasty. Rum, vodka, tequila, scotch, brandy, etc. in the morning is great. It's like mouthwash you can drink, and then follow it with a mouthwash chaser so you're minty fresh.

Wine in the morning is nasty. Rum, vodka, tequila, scotch, brandy, etc. in the morning is great. It's like mouthwash you can drink, and then follow it with a mouthwash chaser so you're minty fresh.

Shoot there was a time when mouthwash had alcohol in it.

With 25 years in the skating industry, including 8 at the facility in question, I feel I must chime in. The industry itself is encouraging rinks to serve beer and wine. This is due to the demand. Sparkles does have a 2 drink limit but the managers can make the decision to sell more beer/wine based on his observance of the customer, how long the customer has been in the facility, etc.... In my experience almost nobody has more than 2 beers or 2 glasses of wine. Sparkles has very strict rules for their staff and the management underwent hours of training prior to selling alcohol. They are doing everything right. The facility I work for now also sells beer and wine. It's NOT a bar. It's a family entertainment center that sells food and beer/wine because we have to keep up with the competition. BTW...not one single rink across the country has had ANY incident or accident because of alcohol sold at the rink. We HAVE had parents drop their children off at the rink and then go out and tie one on.....and they got arrested when they came back and put their child in a car and attempt to drive home drunk....that's a much bigger and more common problem.

As a customer you make your choice by voting with your FEET. If you don't like it, don't go back. But don't judge other people who do!

• Like 10

With 25 years in the skating industry, including 8 at the facility in question, I feel I must chime in. The industry itself is encouraging rinks to serve beer and wine. This is due to the demand. Sparkles does have a 2 drink limit but the managers can make the decision to sell more beer/wine based on his observance of the customer, how long the customer has been in the facility, etc.... In my experience almost nobody has more than 2 beers or 2 glasses of wine. Sparkles has very strict rules for their staff and the management underwent hours of training prior to selling alcohol. They are doing everything right. The facility I work for now also sells beer and wine. It's NOT a bar. It's a family entertainment center that sells food and beer/wine because we have to keep up with the competition. BTW...not one single rink across the country has had ANY incident or accident because of alcohol sold at the rink. We HAVE had parents drop their children off at the rink and then go out and tie one on.....and they got arrested when they came back and put their child in a car and attempt to drive home drunk....that's a much bigger and more common problem.

As a customer you make your choice by voting with your FEET. If you don't like it, don't go back. But don't judge other people who do!

I always vote with my dollar and I can't help but judge, I'm good at it.

:)

• Like 2

I always vote with my dollar and I can't help but judge, I'm good at it.

:)

I am too old for the skating rink, they would cut me off long before I had enough beer in me to keep from harming the chillrens.

They are loud and noisy they come whizzing out at you from all directions. It's like a nightmare with psycho children constantly barely missing your toes with the skates, grabbing at everything to keep from falling even your bewb for heaven sakes.

God forbid you fall in the rink, take the fetal position and wait for the tiny kids to fall on you to absorb the impact of some 6ft idiot skating backwards.

I am going to need vodka and hormone pills just for thinking about it.

That is a great post, from someone who is the industry. But there are quite a few on here who will say "It can happen", while saying one thing and doing another. And they really believe that they are better than other people while still doing the same thing they condemn others for, but hide behind the bible or make up excuses for their behavior.

It's called alcoholism. It just happens that wine was her drink of choice. Just insert coke-a-cola. It's the same thing.

It's not a drug. It's just like I know that Rum (preferably Bacardi,) and Vodka are not good drinks for me. She has an addiction issues. I smoke cigarettes, I have an addiction. Some folks have an addiction to exercise, food, you name it. Does it make those things drugs? Either way it's not a drug. And, your really stretching it.

Those are the facts. There's nothing to argue about.

But they're teaching this to kids in school!

I remember when my middle son was in, I don't know, maybe 2nd grade and he and I were in the kitchen. I was drinking a beer while getting ready to grill some food and he says to me, "dad, you do drugs.". I was standing there wondering what in the hell he was talking about. Is there some record of my early twenties somewhere in the house that I don't know about? Did he think he smelled marijuana in the air? Did I take some tylenol earlier and he thought they were drugs? Puzzled, I asked him what he was talking about. "Well, you're drinking beer, dad. Beer is a drug.". I about lost it on him...I didn't know whether to be angry (at the school) or laugh. I just had a quick talk about abuse...with a 2nd grader...who was taught at school that his dad does drugs. Ridiculous.

mrnn

Still not a "drug," not arguing.

Alcohol is a drug whether in wine or whatever. There are age requirements for its purchase just like other types of alcohol:

In recent years, the alcohol content of wine has spiked considerably, even for varieties once considered light.

www.realsimple.com/holidays.../food.../alcohol...wine.../index.html

But they're teaching this to kids in school!

I remember when my middle son was in, I don't know, maybe 2nd grade and he and I were in the kitchen. I was drinking a beer while getting ready to grill some food and he says to me, "dad, you do drugs.". I was standing there wondering what in the hell he was talking about. Is there some record of my early twenties somewhere in the house that I don't know about? Did he think he smelled marijuana in the air? Did I take some tylenol earlier and he thought they were drugs? Puzzled, I asked him what he was talking about. "Well, you're drinking beer, dad. Beer is a drug.". I about lost it on him...I didn't know whether to be angry (at the school) or laugh. I just had a quick talk about abuse...with a 2nd grader...who was taught at school that his dad does drugs. Ridiculous.

mrnn

This is getting so freaking stupid. No, freaking wonder kids have no common sense any more.

• Like 1

Alcohol is a drug whether in wine or whatever. There are age requirements for its purchase just like other types of alcohol:

In recent years, the alcohol content of wine has spiked considerably, even for varieties once considered light.

www.realsimple.com/holidays.../food.../alcohol...wine.../index.html

What ever, you can call it a freaking flower, it doesn't change the FACT that it is NOT a "drug." Do you consider marijuana a drug?

If you can't control your self then don't drink it. Personally I don't drink, except for a glass of wine at Christmas. If the rink serves beer, then they do. Whatever.

Yes, even at almost 50 I still roller skate. And, I will take my 13yr old with me.

Edited by gog8tors

What ever, you can call it a freaking flower, it doesn't change the FACT that it is NOT a "drug." Do you consider marijuana a drug?

If you can't control your self then don't drink it. Personally I don't drink, except for a glass of wine at Christmas. If the rink serves beer, then they do. Whatever.

Yes, even at almost 50 I still roller skate. And, I will take my 13yr old with me.

Marijuana is a drug. Certain substances are classified as drugs and it happens to be one of them.

Alcohol is a Drug

by David J. Hanson, Ph.D.

Beverage alcohol (ethyl alcohol) is a drug. But exactly what is a drug?

A drug is simply “Any substance which when absorbed into a living organism may modify one or more of its functions.” 1

In reality, "any substance that by its chemical nature alters structure or function in the living organism is a drug. . . . Pharmacological effects are exerted by foods, vitamins, hormones, microbial, metabolites, plants, snake venoms, stings, products of decay, air pollutants, pesticides, minerals, synthetic chemicals, virtually all foreign materials (very few are completely inert), and many materials normally in the body." 2

This means that foods, vitamins, hormones and the other substances described are all drugs. Practically everything is a drug including the oxygen we breathe. Nevertheless, there is a continuing effort by temperance-oriented groups and agencies to emphasize that alcohol is a drug.

Their intent appears to be to stigmatize alcohol by associating it with illicit drugs. As Dr. William DeJong, director of a federally-funded center on alcohol and drug abuse emphasizes, “in modern usage, ‘drug’ has become shorthand for ‘illegal drug’ or ‘street drug.’ People still go to the ‘drug store,’ but they go there to buy ‘medications,’ not drugs.” 3

By equating alcoholic beverages with illegal street drugs, anti-alcohol activists attempt to create negative attitudes toward such beverages. That makes it easier to promote higher alcohol taxes, more stringent restrictions on the times and places alcohol can be sold, censorship of alcohol advertising, and similar policies to reduce alcohol consumption.

Although this is a deceptive tactic, it appears to be effective.

New york gal, you may have been in the industry a long time up North but you ain't been involved here as long as "Us,the Old school skating folks". You, Jeff and whoever else that was involved in making this decision can sell your alcohol in there, I am just saying I won't support it and the word is out now for others to decide.I just cannot understand the concept that parents can't Leave it Alone" long enough for thier children sake to skate in a Alcohol free place. I will be going elsewhere.

• Like 3

New york gal, you may have been in the industry a long time up North but you ain't been involved here as long as "Us,the Old school skating folks". You, Jeff and whoever else that was involved in making this decision can sell your alcohol in there, I am just saying I won't support it and the word is out now for others to decide.I just cannot understand the concept that parents can't Leave it Alone" long enough for thier children sake to skate in a Alcohol free place. I will be going elsewhere.

Did you ever stop to think that not everyone at the skate rink is a parent? It is not the skate rink's, non-parent, or other parent's responsibility to teach your children your version of morality/right and wrong. If you do not like this aspect of this skate rink then do not go there. It honestly is that simple.

North, South, old school has nothing to do with it. Skating is skating!!! No matter where you worked it!!!

Girl, you had me, but now you are grabbing!!

Did you ever stop to think that not everyone at the skate rink is a parent? It is not the skate rink's, non-parent, or other parent's responsibility to teach your children your version of morality/right and wrong. If you do not like this aspect of this skate rink then do not go there. It honestly is that simple.

The Roller Rink is also a daycare and night time babysitter!!

How is a two beer maximum handled? If one concession worker goes on break and another one comes behind the counter, how does the new person know who bought what? And if it's busy, how can any worker be expected to memorize every person they sell something to? That entire idea seems flawed and for the record, skating rinks are for kids and teens and I agree that if a parent can't hold off on the alcohol for a few hours while their kids skates, there is a bigger issue at hand.

I think it's a load that Chuck E. Cheese serves alcohol, a KIDS place for Heavens sake. There are enough idiots drinking where alcohol is served without adding them to a kids party place.

Edited by momof 3
  • Like 1

I have mixed feelings here. I do think it is about the responsibilty and accountability of the drinker, not the venue. But, it is nice to have a place to take kids to where you don't have to worry about adults getting out of hand. They obiously could come in drunk, but with this they can now continue to drink. I have been to Disney and enjoyed a cold beer. I have been to Chuck E Cheese and didn't. I am on the fence on the skating rink.

Imagine half lit Big Tony rolling around the rink and little Timmy buzz over and cut off Big Tony. Boom, no more little Timmy.

I don't typically drink at skating rinks, but after reading through this thread, it's nice to know there's a place I can take the family and not have to worry about holier-than-thou Christian do-gooders hanging around to tell me what I should and shouldn't be doing. Thanks, GG!

• Like 3

I swear we had this discussion a year or so ago. Obviously those of you that are so opposed to it aren't much of a source of income for Sparkles :pardon: How long has it been since they started selling alcohol? If I drink, it is at home (and very rarely). I will not drive my children if I have had anything to drink, but that is just me. The last time we went to Sparkles, there weren't that many kids. I sure a hell didn't see any sloppy drunks.

I fail to see why this is even garnering any raised emotions at all.

Everyone chooses their own family entertainment. As long as the establishment meets the legal code, I see no problem with it. If some choose of their own reasons not to attend, that is fine. If others choose to attend, that is fine.

I personally wouldn't go to such an activity because I don't enjoy it. Others do.

So what is the problem with this anyway?

Zoo, don't your children attend schools and live on campus? In order to attend such a place, I would think you would need your children to actually be in your home.

Every parent thinks differently with THEIR children, and your snotty ass attitude is over the top, hilarious!

Bring on the full moon, the ass hats are out in full force. It's NY girl's business, personally I think she is fiesty and sometimes quite rude...she is going to do what she has to, to make it! Her concern is making money, if it was safety the drugs and under age drinking would not go on there. If your concern is that high over a drunk person falling, get off butt and learn to skate with your children.

My 2 cents, and I don't care if you agree with me or not, but, if something is specifically geared towards children ie. skating rink, chuck E cheese, Disney World...I think that it should be alcohol and smoke free and drug free for that matter. I think our society through the media and what have you has made people think that alcohol is suitable at any time at any place. I don't think people should drink when they are transporting children, or when they are supervising children. I think it is a problem if you can't go somewhere with your kids for a short period of time and refrain from drinking. If someone told me tomorrow that I could never take another sip I would be absolutely fine with that. I don't drink around my kids, and I wouldn't want anyone who was in charge of them or transporting them to have anything to drink either.

Drinking is something adults should do around other adults in safe environments. Kids should be allowed to be kids without being exposed to drinking.

• Like 2

My 2 cents, and I don't care if you agree with me or not, but, if something is specifically geared towards children ie. skating rink, chuck E cheese, Disney World...I think that it should be alcohol and smoke free and drug free for that matter. I think our society through the media and what have you has made people think that alcohol is suitable at any time at any place. I don't think people should drink when they are transporting children, or when they are supervising children. I think it is a problem if you can't go somewhere with your kids for a short period of time and refrain from drinking. If someone told me tomorrow that I could never take another sip I would be absolutely fine with that. I don't drink around my kids, and I wouldn't want anyone who was in charge of them or transporting them to have anything to drink either.

Drinking is something adults should do around other adults in safe environments. Kids should be allowed to be kids without being exposed to drinking.

I love your post.......Now it's time for me to be a hyprocrite. I have to smoke my cigarettes, BUT, I know when too and not too. I show respect for the non-smokers, well, unless they show me dis-respect. I normally will find the smoking area.

• Like 1

Just as a point of friendly debate, how do you model responsible drinking if your kids are never exposed to drinking at all? Because eventually, they WILL be exposed to drinking. Would you rather their first exposure be at a college frat party, or in the relative safety of your presence, be it at home or a local establishment?

Edited by CeilingFan
  • Like 2

my point exactly

Although I have not been skating for about 6 yrs, my grandchildren have started going. They go to the Saturday and Sunday matinee sessions so far. Sparkels changed drastically when they put in the gym thing and made it a "family fun center". Me being old school--never liked it. My grandkids have never been on it and won't. They go there to skate. If they want to play on some climbing thing, then we will go elsewhere where there is more to do. Poor Albert--he is tumbling in his grave right now and probably has been for years. It has become about the al mighty dollar--and that's it, which is sad.

As far as the alcohol--I can assure you that if you went up there several years ago (and maybe even stil today), there are seveal adults that have had several drinks before they got there on Saturday nights. You would be amazed to know some of the stuff that goes on up there. I know of one female years ago that would come skating about half drunk and constantly go to her vehicle during the night and drink her tequila or vodka. She also chewed a lot of gum to cover her breath!! Everybody knew she did it--including the manager at the time and nobody did a thing about it.

And in case you didn't know--the skating rink is like a soap opra in itself. You would not believe some of the stuff that goes on up there.

• Like 2

I love your post.......Now it's time for me to be a hyprocrite. I have to smoke my cigarettes, BUT, I know when too and not too. I show respect for the non-smokers, well, unless they show me dis-respect. I normally will find the smoking area.

I don't care if people smoke as long as they are aware of where they are when they are doing it. My husband smoked when we first had kids. He did it outside away from the kids where they didn't see him.

Just as a point of friendly debate, how do you model responsible drinking if your kids are never exposed to drinking at all? Because eventually, they WILL be exposed to drinking. Would you rather their first exposure be at a college frat party, or in the relative safety of your presence, be it at home or a local establishment?

I don't think that I have to model responsible drinking. I think I could count on one hand the amount of times I ever saw my parents drink. I'm sure they did, I'm sure maybe they did a lot before they had me or after I moved out. But when I was in their care they were never drunk, and rarely almost never drank. I turned out to be a very responsible drinker myself. Did I get drunk in college? Yep, did I get drunk when I was in my early 20's, yep. There's a time and a place and situations. I don't think I have to be drinking to teach my kids about being responsible. I also know that genetics, and their addiction tendencies will have more to do with their drinking then probably what I teach them.

even McDonald's isn't drug free.

y'all are completely forgetting the fact that caffeine is a drug.

• Like 1

When I was growing up, I saw it in the fridge. It was michelob ponies, and I never saw my parents drink. First time I ever saw someone drink WAS at a party, and that is where I had my first drink. Lord have mercy, I was seeing triple, and talk about being sick. I could barely lift my head to vomit. Yes, I was doing some praying. I think I was, 17. Yes, again, very protective father and my brother could do anything he wanted and I could barely be allowed to do anything. Well, I changed that quick. I was a force to be reckon with!!! (Gee's, talkin' Southern, someone get me a yankee IV).....And you can ask Thoughts!!!