Paulding.com

skating rink

I decided last night to take my GK's skating in Hiram and bought them Icee's at the snack bar and while waiting in line noticed that they are serving alcohol. Now I have been skating since I was 3 years old and grew up skating at Cresent and Sparkles in Smyrna,I am a firm believer that alcohol does not belong in a skating rink period. I carried my children and grandchildren to a "suppose to be family" oriented place.I do not take them to Chuck E cheese because of the the reason. I will not support this. There is a problem with the parents if they cannot leave it alone for a few hours to spend quality time with thier children skating and I sure don't want me or my grandkids skating with people drinking and skating. Whoever came up with this idea was not thinking when this choice was made and I would ask folks to also let thier churches know this as well as the schools. This is like putting your child on the road with a Drunk Driver. I am very disappointed.I guess I will drive to Dazzles in Douglas County. I feel safer there while skating.

• Like 7
  • Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

With 25 years in the skating industry, including 8 at the facility in question, I feel I must chime in. The industry itself is encouraging rinks to serve beer and wine. This is due to the demand. S

I decided last night to take my GK's skating in Hiram and bought them Icee's at the snack bar and while waiting in line noticed that they are serving alcohol. Now I have been skating since I was 3 yea

I'm going where the alcohol is and far away from cackling hens like you who feel the need to tell others how to live.

Posted Images

What you describe doesn't bother me at all and I'm surprised it bothers anyone. Now if you saw someone falling down or if there were even the slightest hint that there was improper sales to minors, you might have a point.

But there is none of that here and it just seems natural to me. Fact is, I didn't know they had brews and I'm glad they do.

pubby

PS: There used to be entire counties where you had to drive to another to have a drink. Heck, there used to be an amendment to constitution that suggested it was illegal to sell any form of alcohol and that was among the greatest policy disasters in American history. (It was responsible for the rise of organized crime which continues to corrupt more people on the streets and back alleys than normal access to a brew in a community setting never did.)

I have to agree, there is no place for alcohol in a skating rink. Especially as many little kids that go there. And for the record, the teenagers will find away to get to that alcohol. Pretty sad if a parent can't refrain from a drink for a couple of hours to skate with their children.

• Like 1

By god, if drinking in the parking lot before going skating was good enough in my day, it is good enough for the people today!

No booze at little kids stuff, end of story.

(But I do admit that back in day, I would go to the Chuck E Cheese place in Cobb County, drink and pick up single moms)

• Like 1

Do you take your kids to Stars & Strikes or the Dallas Bowling Alley?

Not the same thing. The older kids go to Stars & Strikes and hang out. Middle School kids. From what I saw and my daughter being one of them at one time.

People know that the roller rink is more for the little one's, elementary, some middle schoolers,

Roller Rink elementary

Stars & Strikes Middle School

Movies High School

I only can go by what my kids and their friends did when they went to school.

I see you went to Jonquil, too. dry.gif

By god, if drinking in the parking lot before going skating was good enough in my day, it is good enough for the people today!

No booze at little kids stuff, end of story.

(But I do admit that back in day, I would go to the Chuck E Cheese place in Cobb County, drink and pick up single moms)

When I heard about this, at one of the Hiram City meetings, I didn't Iike it, either. Alcohol has NO place in a Skating Rink, nor in the presence of any children's function/attraction.

Disney sells beer and wine.

Amusement parks sell beer and wine.

State/county fairs sell beer and wine.

Restaurants with Children's menus sell beer and wine and liquor.

Arcades such as Dave and Buster's sell beer and wine and liquor.

Churches have wine,

• Like 3

What is wrong with an adult having an adult beverage while the lads and lassies have fun?

Why have an adult beverage while your child is skating for a few hours and then said adult decides to have another. Put the kids in the car buckle them and then said ADULT get's behind the WHEEL. Sure maybe two adult beverages MAYBE in a two hour period, but just the same, something could happen on the road. Still not a wise choice to make. It's the childrens time to have fun. The parent needs to get off their ass and have fun with them. Save the drinking for home or with other adult company.

Disney sells beer and wine.

Amusement parks sell beer and wine.

State/county fairs sell beer and wine.

Restaurants with Children's menus sell beer and wine and liquor.

Arcades such as Dave and Buster's sell beer and wine and liquor.

Churches have wine,

That's with bread and it's a sip!

Why have an adult beverage while your child is skating for a few hours and then said adult decides to have another. Put the kids in the car buckle them and then said ADULT get's behind the WHEEL. Sure maybe two adult beverages MAYBE in a two hour period, but just the same, something could happen on the road. Still not a wise choice to make. It's the childrens time to have fun. The parent needs to get off their ass and have fun with them. Save the drinking for home or with other adult company.

And the same opportunity to over indulge exists in restaurants, sporting events and even the home.

What you may believe is the correct parental choice is your view. Others have the same right to see it differently.

As long as the majority of the revenue of the establishment is not from alcohol, there is not a problem.

Others may disagree. That's what makes for an interesting time on this planet.

• Like 1

I'm kinda with Garden Girl on this one..........

Now, I don't have a problem with drinking but at a skating rink I dunno.

At the bowling alley, you do have a little more control of who you're bowling with.

At Stars and Strikes, same thing. Bowling and playing games.

I even had my grandson's 13th birthday party at Stars and Strikes.

But skating, which can be dangerous in and of itself, add alcohol to a few adults who want to get on the floor and show off........I think it could be dangerous to everyone, but especially little kids.

At least I don't have to make that decision, mine quit going a couple of years ago.

My point has been made, and for the record I do not support Disney or any other place like that. I and my children have to set an example for this generation and we will. I choose to support non alcoholic establishments.There are plenty of Real "Family Oriented" places to go.And Zoo, your opinion don't mean nothing to me.

• Like 2

And the same opportunity to over indulge exists in restaurants, sporting events and even the home.

What you may believe is the correct parental choice is your view. Others have the same right to see it differently.

As long as the majority of the revenue of the establishment is not from alcohol, there is not a problem.

Others may disagree. That's what makes for an interesting time on this planet.

Why would you want to mix alcohol where there are a bunch of little children trying to have fun at a roller rink? Doesn't make sense. There are other ways the roller rink can think of to drum up business. There is nothing good going to come out of this. I can't believe they were given a license to serve.

• Like 1

Why would this be any different than say taking the kids out to Ruby Tuesday or Chili's for dinner or taking them to a Braves game, knocking back a couple of drinks over the course of maybe two hours, then putting the kids in the car and driving home? It is one and the same. Are either a good idea? Heck no. But adults can make their own decisions.

Why would you want to mix alcohol where there are a bunch of little children trying to have fun at a roller rink? Doesn't make sense. There are other ways the roller rink can think of to drum up business. There is nothing good going to come out of this. I can't believe they were given a license to serve.

I don't. I never frequent such a place.

However, others parents do wish to enjoy an ale of sorts whilst the children are expending some energy, just as I enjoy a glass of fine wine with a nice meal.

To each their own.

Do you eat at most restaurants around town? Ruby Tuesday, La Cocina, Chili's, Jim N Nicks, etc? Do you buy groceries at a grocery store such as Kroger, Ingles or Publix? Do you buy gas at Quik Trip or Racetrac? If you answer yes to ANY of these questions, you are "supporting" establishments that sell or serve alcohol.

So former member's opinion means something to you?

For the record, we never sheltered our kids from people who were drinking. I, myself, rarely drink but have on occasion. My children have seen me drink. They have seen their father drink. Our youngest has been around a LOT of people who were drinking. Our youngest is a non-drinker as is her husband. Because she was around people drinking and to the point of being drunk? Maybe. You'd have to ask her.

My point has been made, and for the record I do not support Disney or any other place like that. I and my children have to set an example for this generation and we will. I choose to support non alcoholic establishments.There are plenty of Real "Family Oriented" places to go.And Zoo, your opinion don't mean nothing to me.

• Like 1

However, others parents do wish to enjoy an ale of sorts whilst the children are expending some energy, just as I enjoy a glass of fine wine with a nice meal.

To each their own.

let them, again I will not partipate and I am sure alot more people do not want to partipate in allowing a injury to thier child because they chose to take them there and one of the irresponsible drunks that needed "just one more" tries to skate and injures or kills a kid from falling on them.

I'm just curious as to where you buy groceries.

I see you went to Jonquil, too. dry.gif

That is exactly what was in my memory banks.

Beer and Alcoholic beverages are just tool's it's the people that drink it that give it a bad name.

I agree with you on this one.

Edited by stradial

To each their own.

Such a place???? Really???? You're going to go there??? Wow!!!!

As for wine, my father enjoyed a fine wine with dinner at one time as well. Myself, bring on the Grey Goose!

You see Zoo, you may think you are better, but you aren't. I can match wits with you, talk about wine, match my house to yours, cars, what not, but I don't. I can even talk about the degree's I have. I can talk horty torty, but I don't. I don't shove it in people's face's. So your glass of wine with a nice meal, or you wouldn't frequent such a place, is a blow, in which, I didn't care for. So back off. Okay!!!! Yes, you did rub me the wong way.

I'm a simple person, just like the rest of the people on here, we enjoy life and we share, we don't shove what we have or pretend what we don't have to make ourselves look better than the next person. We are ourselves.

let them, again I will not partipate and I am sure alot more people do not want to partipate in allowing a injury to thier child because they chose to take them there and one of the irresponsible drunks that needed "just one more" tries to skate and injures or kills a kid from falling on them.

I'm not arguing with you but is there a constable there to make sure there is no ruckus that occurs?

Such a place???? Really???? You're going to go there??? Wow!!!!

As for wine, my father enjoyed a fine wine with dinner at one time as well. Myself, bring on the Grey Goose!

You see Zoo, you may think you are better, but you aren't. I can match wits with you, talk about wine, match my house to yours, cars, what not, but I don't. I can even talk about the degree's I have. I can talk horty torty, but I don't. I don't shove it in people's face's. So your glass of wine with a nice meal, or you wouldn't frequent such a place, is a blow, in which, I didn't care for. So back off. Okay!!!! Yes, you did rub me the wong way.

I'm a simple person, just like the rest of the people on here, we enjoy life and we share, we don't shove what we have or pretend what we don't have to make ourselves look better than the next person. We are ourselves.

"Such a place" as in roller skating. I don't do that sort of thing. It's not for me and I personally choose not to do such an activity, just as some adults choose not to attend rugby matches. I don't enjoy the activity at all and wouldn't go. I meant nothing else by it.

Edited by zoocrew

Do you eat at most restaurants around town? Ruby Tuesday, La Cocina, Chili's, Jim N Nicks, etc? Do you buy groceries at a grocery store such as Kroger, Ingles or Publix? Do you buy gas at Quik Trip or Racetrac? If you answer yes to ANY of these questions, you are "supporting" establishments that sell or serve alcohol.

So former member's opinion means something to you?

For the record, we never sheltered our kids from people who were drinking. I, myself, rarely drink but have on occasion. My children have seen me drink. They have seen their father drink. Our youngest has been around a LOT of people who were drinking. Our youngest is a non-drinker as is her husband. Because she was around people drinking and to the point of being drunk? Maybe. You'd have to ask her.

It is not sheltering my children, They made choices at young ages not to be around it because of inlaws drinking at thier kids birthday parties and making Arses of themselves.My father was a alcoholic and they did not want to be around it. Children have no choice but to be around it when they are having to be raised in it.Just sayin'

"Such a place" as in roller skating. I don't do that sort of thing. It's not for me and I personally choose not to do such an activity, just as some adults choose not to attend rugby matches.

That's not what you meant. I've stood up for you more than once, even tho you can take care of yourself, but I'm done. You don't put down people. Simple entainment is the most fun!!!!

Bottom line, you don't drink when there is small children in an establishment period. You but them and others in danger.

• Like 2

Thousands of people are injured while skating in skating rinks every year. I'd venture to say 99.99% of them are sober. The greatest risk I see from this is not to the kids at the skating rink but to the adult who has a drink or two and then attempts to skate. With the "skate at your own risk" signs everywhere, it seems the rink would have no liability for injuries due to intoxicated skaters.

This thread has made me want to go back to the skating rink and attempt to skate. Quite honestly, I'd need a couple of stiff drinks to be able to stand up on skates now. It's been way too many years since I went.

BTW, you obviously don't know Pcom or Pubby.

All those places also have bread, and it's the people not the establishment the decide to take more than a sip.

Alcohol has NO place in a Skating Rink, nor in the presence of any children's function/attraction.

Anyone who agrees with this, or will state this. How many of you have had a beer or wine at a birthday party, 4th of July party, Thanksgiving dinner, Xmas dinner, Easter dinner, etc.. Any of those can be considered a children's function or attraction.

That's not what you meant. I've stood up for you more than once, even tho you can take care of yourself, but I'm done. You don't put down people. Simple entainment is the most fun!!!!

Bottom line, you don't drink when there is small children in an establishment period. You but them and others in danger.

I'm sorry but it wasn't a put down at all. It was a statement that I would not go there because I don't enjoy it; won't do it; nor care nothing for it.

Thousands of people are injured while skating in skating rinks every year. I'd venture to say 99.99% of them are sober. The greatest risk I see from this is not to the kids at the skating rink but to the adult who has a drink or two and then attempts to skate. With the "skate at your own risk" signs everywhere, it seems the rink would have no liability for injuries due to intoxicated skaters.

This thread has made me want to go back to the skating rink and attempt to skate. Quite honestly, I'd need a couple of stiff drinks to be able to stand up on skates now. It's been way too many years since I went.

BTW, you obviously don't know Pcom or Pubby.

take your kids and grandkids with ya.