Paulding.com
Sign in to follow this  
kim5460

Need advice please

First I want to start off saying, we have a natural spring in the woods by my house that feeds into a pond in my back yard, then my pond feeds into a bigger lake. We have noticed that here lately the pond has been loosing water, so my husband went to see if he could find what the issue was... Of course it was beavers. Before my husband could knock the dam down, the pond started filling back up with water.

This morning my husband woke up and went outside and noticed, once again, the pond is low. He walked around and noticed that the neighbors (through the woods), has been digging and placing pipe to direct the natural spring to go around my pond and then feed in the bigger lake.

There is LOTS and LOTS of fish in this pond that now will probably die.

I know my first option is to go to said neighbors house to see what is going on, and maybe discuss a plan that would fit all of our needs.

If this does not work, I wanted to know if anyone had any idea of who I could call to try and get this straightened out.

Any and all information/advice is greatly appreciated!!

On whose property does the spring lie? and where was the digging/diversion done? If it is their property, you'll have to live with it.

mellow.gif Call the army core of engineers in Rome. They manage the creeks and water in parts of Paulding county. They can't just redirect the creek as it could have endangered wild life . Yes, paulding county has at least one endangered crawfish ( I believe). I had to check on drawing water from a creek about 5 years back and was told about it.

1 st talk with them and then also check with the army core.

Good luCk.

• Like 1

On whose property does the spring lie? and where was the digging/diversion done? If it is their property, you'll have to live with it.

The end of everyone whos property is around the spring/pond/lake's property line meets in the middle. So technically the neighbor is digging both theirs and my property.

mellow.gif Call the army core of engineers in Rome. They manage the creeks and water in parts of Paulding county. They can't just redirect the creek as it could have endangered wild life . Yes, paulding county has at least one endangered crawfish ( I believe). I had to check on drawing water from a creek about 5 years back and was told about it.

1 st talk with them and then also check with the army core.

Good luCk.

See that is what I was thinking.

I live in Carroll County, do you think they manage them here as well?

what he said. you can't mess with natural bodies of water like that. also call the DNR

Thank you.

I would think there are laws that govern the stream system.

I would start with calling your county court house.

Edited by mojo413
  • Like 1

I would think there are laws that govern the stream system.

I would start with calling your county court house.

Thank you. Before you edited your post I seen you name the Paulding County Engineer. That helped me, because I was able to look at who Carroll Counties is, as well, and I see somethings on line that I can read about this on the .gov site.

I recommend you move quickly. If your county does not have an emergency number to call, I've seen the state EPD emergency phone number on gas pumps in the past.

Diverting streams and killing fish is not taken likely and you don't want to end up being financially responsible for any violations or fish kill that occurred on your property.

Keep us updated to your status.

• Like 1

I recommend you move quickly. If your county does not have an emergency number to call, I've seen the state EPD emergency phone number on gas pumps in the past.

Diverting streams and killing fish is not taken likely and you don't want to end up being financially responsible for any violations or fish kill that occurred on your property.

Keep us updated to your status.

Yes, thank you.

I will be taking care of this quickly, I do not want anything to get killed (and it looks ugly with now water, because its fairly big). My husband is going to go out and take pictures first thing in the morning, so that when I call I can also send pictures to show.

I always thought you could not mess with the "natural" flow of water.

Only after plans from a properly licensed professional engineer are submitted to the correct governing agencies, proper fees are paid, plans are approved, permits are issued and inspections are up to date.

If you have snail darters in the stream construction permitting could easily be in the tens of thousands of dollars.

• Like 1

Yes, thank you.

I will be taking care of this quickly, I do not want anything to get killed (and it looks ugly with now water, because its fairly big). My husband is going to go out and take pictures first thing in the morning, so that when I call I can also send pictures to show.

I can tell you from experiance if there is a violation here you want to be on the side with the governing body. You certainly don't want to be on the wrong side of the fence here. I know personally of a case of a gentleman is facing jail time for knowingly disturbing state waterways.

I can tell you from experiance if there is a violation here you want to be on the side with the governing body. You certainly don't want to be on the wrong side of the fence here. I know personally of a case of a gentleman is facing jail time for knowingly disturbing state waterways.

Thank you, I appreciate all the information you have given me.I dont understand why they are doing this to begin with, also doing this is tampering with my property.

I will keep you updated.

I don't see why the neighbor wants to divert the water in the first place.

I could understand if it was to fill their own pond but from the sound of it they want to divert it just so you don't have a pond.

Pretty petty if you ask me.