Paulding.com
Sign in to follow this  
lescook

Who grew up with guns in the house?

We used cats for bow practice

You guys with the bow's do need the practice. I've seen on the TV news Ducks and even a Horse once with arrows stuck through their necks who were still alive.

Growing up in the suburbs of Detroit, we had 3 guns in the house, of which one worked. By brother's BB gun, (a Daisy Red Ryder like Ralphies, but don't remember it having a compass), and it went without saying that I was not allowed to ever touch any of them! But after my brother moved out I inherited the BB gun by default, and learned to be quite accurate with it.

In the 6th grade our entire class, along with the 6th grade class form a neighboring school, went to a 5 day nature camp called Proud Lake. Did all the usual nature walks, star watching at night, learned bow and arrow shooting and then that very afternoon, the Michigan State Police showed up with a pair of .22s! We were taught all about gun safety, and how to load, aim and fire. Then each student was allowed, (almost required) to fire 5 rounds at a target about 25 feet away! The troopers made sure each student got to keep their target with at least one 'Bullseye' . Some of us didn't need the help.

Think about the difference in society from back then in 1959, and today, and try to figure out where it all went wrong!!!!!!

P.S. One of the functions arranged for us by our 'Teachers' was the 'Panty Raid' the boys made on the girl's dorm at 2:00am. No panties were claimed however, mostly because we had no idea where to look!!!

Think about the difference in society from back then in 1959, and today, and try to figure out where it all went wrong!!!!!!

Three things:

1) Parents were actually parents, rather than trying to be a friend.

2) Political Correctness

3) Personal responsibility.

• Like 2

Growing up my dad had 2 .22's and my brother and I had pellot/BB guns as kids. My grandpa had some sort of hand gun. Not exactly sure what it was.

My dad hunted doves, so he had a 20 gauge, but it was only brought out when he went hunting (and he only did that a few times and stopped when I was about 10)

After being in the military and firing everything from a 9mm to a 81mm mortar (and everything in between) my curiosity for weapons has been satisfied. Guns do nothing for me anymore.

• Like 1

Grew up with guns in the house. Grandparents house too! Grandpa was a game warden in Wichita. Gun safety was common topic of discussion.

My Dad had guns. He was a hunter,so my brothers got guns when they were 10 or 12 years old. And now I have my 357 that I will use if I have to.

My Dad had handguns when he owned his Montgomery Ward store, he carried cash at times and needed the protection. At that time we moved to where I had access to my grand parents farm which consisted of almost 200 acres and that's when I got my first .22, a Western Field that was sold by Montgomery Ward but made by Mossberg, it's a semi-auto. I must have been 12 at the time. Then I got my 12 guage also a Western Field. Hunting rifles and archery came later as I got into hunting. That farm produced some nice deer with pheasant and rabbits plentiful. Now I have no property to hunt and the guns just collect dust.

Guns were in the house and were considered tools not fun toys. From my earliest memories guns were used to slaughter livestock, I can still remember the carnage and death they dealt. I never saw anyone in my family shoot for fun until I was in my teens, and then it was for sighting scopes or checking out the new gun. I don't recall any hand guns as they had no real use for hunting. Dad's words to me from probably age 3-4 was "don't shoot it if you won't eat it." I also was required to clean and dress anything I shot, as a small child, looking 1st hand at the carnage, you quickly learn the damage guns can do. Skinning that cute bunny that ran around the barn, skinning it and picking the buckshot out of its flesh will give you a respect for firearms at age 6-7. I never touched a gun without my fathers permission and the 1st thing always done was check the chamber and carry it safely, never to point at anyone or thing. This day, I've never had guns, only taught my son to shoot a bb gun and see no reason to expose the kids to the death I was subjected to as a child. I have taught them my fathers words, "don't shoot it if you won't eat it."

Grew up with all types of differents guns in the house growing up. My Daddy embedded in us, that they were not toys, you don't aim at anything you don't intend to kill and if you kill it you better be in fear for your life or hunting for food. I killed my first deer at the age of 12 and my kids have grown up around guns. They have been taught the same way I was and have a fearful respect for the guns we have, both of my boys are also avid hunters.

• Like 2

No guns in my childhood home. When I became of age I went to The Bargain Barn and bought my first pistol. Now my hubby has enough fire power and ammo....for now. He want's to buy me another weapon but I rather have jewelry.

Interesting that we only have a few who have posted that they did not grow up around guns.

I guess those who have not posted are those who did not grow up around guns.

I did.

Rifles hanging over my parent's bed. Loaded pistols in the dresser drawers. Even as a kid, it was perfectly fine for me to take the .22 out for plinking or varmint hunting. We kids were taught what guns were capable of and we had a healthy respect for them.

We had an assortment of guns.

My parents collect antiques so we had several black powder guns dating as far back as the 1750s

My father did not hunt but had a rifle and a shotgun as he has a cabin in Northern Michigan and you never know when some coyote or bear would be roam around.

Both him and my mother had small caliber revolvers for home protection.

My grandfather who was a Detroit Cop taught me to shot at a fairly young age, 10 years old.

I never really cared about target shooting, found it boaring until recently.

My grandparents had one gun a .32 S&W 1932 revolver but at our house there were lots of shotguns and hand guns. Growing up with two brothers I had a pellet rifle at 8-10 years old, a .22 at 12 years old and by 16 I had a Winchester 1300 12 gauge, .35 Marlin, .308 Remington 742 and a S&W .357 magnum.

yep, around 12 or so guns in my home growing up. Started shooting at 4 years old. Had anything from a .44 magnum to a muzzeloader that sat behind the door "just in case...........all guns were loaded and ready, but as many of you said, was taught to respect guns, what they can do and knew better than to touch them.....as someone else said they had the gun rack above their bed.

I remember when i was in high school all the guys having their rifles in back window of truck

I grew up with a gun in EVERY room in the house. I knew what NOT to do and what to stay away from. I have several guns and some are loaded in case my house alarm goes off and I need to use them. . My father has close to 30 different guns and I enjoy shooting them and knowing I have a decent chance to protect my family. I look at it almost similar to cancers... I may or may Not beat it if I am affected by it BUT I at least want a chance and opportunity to defeat it if it comes into my home uninvited. Police don't stop crimes, they investigate crimes. That's not good enough for me personally.

• Like 1

We grew up with guns in the house.

My dad was a Marietta policeman, and my mom was the best cook in Marietta.

We would always have between 4 and 6 police eat dinner with us.

They would take off their gun belt and holster and lay them on the sofa while they ate.

There were 6 kids in my family, at the time ranging in age from 4 to 16.

We knew not to touch the guns. Back then, a gun was respected, but not touched by a child.

We also had hunting guns and bb guns.

All four of us girls could shoot very well and my oldest brother was an avid hunter.

My youngest brother could shoot, but he didn't get as much experience as the rest of us.