Paulding.com

Who grew up with guns in the house?

I thought this might be interesting.

Who grew up with guns in the house or with family or close friends having guns in the house or as a part of growing up.

Or who never saw a gun, fired a gun or heard one fired while growing up?

We didn't have any guns in our house, except BB guns, until I was 8 years old and Santa brought me a .410 single shot shotgun. (yep, I was a gun nut at an early age)

While we didn't have guns, my grandfather next door had several and most of our other family members had them for hunting and sport shooting as well as most of the neighbors.

The man across the street would shot squirrels in his yard with a .22 and I would shoot my .410 in my backyard as a kid.

All of the kids had BB guns, at least all of the boys did.

So what was your experince?

(I do not wish this to turn into a pro-gun vs anti-gun thread, just personal experinces)

I got my first .22 lever action Browning (which I still have), when I was 5.

At 7, I got my first .410 shot gun and started hunting.

At 8, I started shooting my father's .357.

At 10, I started learning to shoot a semi-auto pistol... my father's .45 Commander.

At 12, I shot the gun that hurt the most, my great grandfathers 8 gauge.

Yes, I grew up around and with guns all my life and was taught from day

one to respect each and every one of them.

• Like 2

We always had guns, including BB guns. Daddy taught us the correct way to handle (NEVER point at anyone for any reason) so we never thought too much about them. If every household was taught this, I believe kids would respect them. We have them now.

• Like 1

I got my first .22 lever action Browning (which I still have), when I was 5.

At 7, I got my first .410 shot gun and started hunting.

At 8, I started shooting my father's .357.

At 10, I started learning to shoot a semi-auto pistol... my father's .45 Commander.

At 12, I shot the gun that hurt the most, my great grandfathers 8 gauge.

Yes, I grew up around and with guns all my life and was taught from day

one to respect each and every one of them.

Had a lot of elephants at your place huh.

:)

My mom always carried a revolver in her purse. My dad always had shotguns, rifles and handguns. My oldest sister always carried a revolver and had one in her store. I was shooting guns almost as early as I was driving, which would have been 8 or 9. Yes, I was driving that young but it was a tractor and I drove to my grandmother's house around the corner.

Before they built the condos through the swamp from my house, we could go out back of the house and shoot. I could hit the O in Prestone every time with a .22 rifle.

Every New Year's my dad would go out front and shoot two rounds from the double barrel shotgun.

My paternal great-grandfather and grandfather were both US Marshals, I had a paternal uncle who was in law enforcement and my dad worked security for many years as a second job. My dad also served on a posse several times, mostly before I was born. All of my aunts and uncles on both sides of the family were comfortable with firearms. Many of my uncles as well as my dad, were avid hunters. I have been told that my paternal grandmother was quite the marksman, too.

We had a few around the house, I was most impressed when my Dad blew up a watermelon with a shotgun and told me if I didn't pay attention and respect the weapons, that watermelon could be me. I still remember seeing all that RED flying all over the place.....got my attention.

I didn't grow up with guns in the house, but I had uncles who were alcoholic idiots who had guns. They used and brandished them with no regard to anyones safety, young or old. That's why when Hubby brought one home several years ago, I was dead set against them. He made it clear that it was a hobby that he wanted to learn and participate in and I could either get on board or not. I chose to get on board and learn about the use of guns and how to safely use and handle them. We now have many and LOVE to go shooting.

Not only did I grow up with guns in the house, but I started shooting guns as a 4 year old boy. My Dad, came home from WWII, and we target practiced a lot with his .22 Winchester. Sometimes we used his 4-10 and 12 gauge shotgun. On occasion we used his SKS, and his Colt 45 auto..

Edited by The Postman

Dad had a few from as early as I can remember. (Colt .45, Ruger .22 revolver, .22 rifles)

Every now and then when he went out to shoot, we could go with him and he taught us to respect them and the rules for handling and shooting them. (Never point them where you wouldn't want to shoot and that once that bullet leaves, you can't ever bring it back)

He told us he would be glad to show them to us when we wanted to, but we were not EVER to touch them ourselves without him present. So, without them being a "forbidden fruit", my brother and I never developed a major fascination with them. In fact, it's only been in the last year or so since I started hunting that I've really gotten interested in guns again.

I did learn that I was nowhere NEAR the crack shot I though I was once I started practicing however. I was all over the target the first few times.

We had guns in the house, I had BB guns and rifles and shotguns as a kid growing up. We were taught to respect them. I had a gun rack in my bedroom with my guns on it with bullets. It was never a question to use them in a way they were not intended.

Paw always kept a good squirrel rifle. I'll never forget when one day he was shoot'n at some food and up from the ground came a bubble'n crude. After that everyone said California was the place we outta be.

Edited by CitizenCain
  • Like 1

We (3girls) grew up with guns in the house.

We lived on a farm. There were (1 or 2) shotguns over my parents dresser and a handgun in the top drawer.

We never had BB guns because my parents didn't want us to think of guns as toys.

We had a healthy fear of the guns, knew what they could do and never touched them.

Edited by RhondaW

Grew up in a house full of guns and raised my 3 boys in a house full of guns. From shotguns (410, pump 12 guage, dble brl 12, single bar 10 gauge) to rifles, ( 30.06, 22, Russian SKS, 30.30) to pistols (Colt 45 semi automatic, 32 revolver, 38 revolver, 22 ruger pistol, 25 semi automatic pistol.

I grew up with guns! My Dad was a hunter...but he liked having them for protection also. He would take me and my sister out to the woods to target practice.dad taught us the safety ways of dealing with guns. When i became a teenager and started driving by myself alot he gave me a pistol to carry for protection. Im married now and we still keep guns. My husband is a hunter and we like keeping them for protection as well. My son now has his own for hunting. Weve taught him about safety but do not allow him to handle them without my husband yet.

Paw always kept a good squirrel rifle. I'll never forget when one day he was shoot'n at some food and up from the ground came a bubble'n crude. After that everyone said California was the place we outta be.

It is always good to hear from you, Jethro.

And that is why I believe we have such a problem with guns now. They ARE a forbidden fruit and nobody is taught to respect them and how to use them properly.

We taught our girls, now 42, 39 and 32, to respect the firearms we had in the house. If they wanted to see one, or even to shoot one, just ask dad. He would be happy to take them out to shoot. None of them really did after they were about 9 or 10. He took each of them out at least once before that. In fact, our youngest got to shoot out back of our shop on County Line Road. She must have been 8 at the time. She loved it but got over the thrill. Now she wants a pink pistol. pardon.gif Lord, have mercy, if I lived in downtown Austell, I'd want an Uzi.

He told us he would be glad to show them to us when we wanted to, but we were not EVER to touch them ourselves without him present. So, without them being a "forbidden fruit", my brother and I never developed a major fascination with them.

From what I understand, it's going to be an "elite" gun club.... nice and expensive to join and shoot there.

Kinda reminds me of the snooty gun club in Beverly Hill Cop II.

The basic membership is $400/year.

It is also open to the public on an hourly pay basis.

I wished I could afford membership but will probably have to settle for an hour or two per week.

When I was a child, my father, uncle and grandfather had guns for hunting. But I KNEW I was never ever suppose to touch them. And they kept them out of reach anyway. I never even tried to touch them.

That is how we grew up. The guns were there, but we knew not to touch them.

We had guns 'around.' My father had a German P38 automatic he had taken from a German officer in WWII he had nickel plated and placed in a display box hung on a wall. We did shoot it 'once'. My older brother had a .22 rifle. I think I shot it a few times. Most of my When I was nine or ten I was part of a shooting club that met on Saturday mornings and did target shooting. It was a summer activity and I was the second best target shooter in the group. My best friend - more about him below - was the best of the group of ten kids. It was fun.

That said, guns were not a central element of our existence. Many neighbors were hunters and we used bb guns to shoot at birds (as well as sling shots, etc.) but we were more photographers and our shooting was more capturing images than taking game. Our neighbor was a big duck hunter and we enjoyed the bounty. Others would occasionally bring by some venison paid in barter but my mother, a Yankee, wasn't fond of it or we could have had more. Guns were around and we were taught to respect them.

At age 12 I was off at baseball camp in Missouri when my best friend died playing with the pearl-handled 38 his dad kept under his pillow. Apparently he was playing with it and shot himself in the heart, I'm told.

I did buy a 12 gauge pump shotgun at about age 20, shot it a few times but didn't gain much pleasure from it. I've shot guns a few times.

Part of the take it or leave it attitude, I think, came from the fact my father was hard of hearing in one ear because, as an artillery battery commander in the field artillery battalion that is credited with firing more rounds than any other in WWII (125th field artillery), he fired a lot of rounds in a big gun. We had some empty shell casings he'd brought back so I had bragging rights at least as to the 'biggest bullet' in the games of who's got the biggest.

My brother has several weapons and is a noted sportsman, although he is heavily weighted toward the fisherman side of the hunting/fishing side. (He was PR director for Rebel fishing lures) and was also in the media end having been both a sports anchor for a small market TV station and cameraman.

He and I are the difference established in the analysis of Nate Silver recently when he noted that of all the possible differences in party preference a life-style element might predict, the most predictive is gun ownership and Republican party association.

So there you go.

pubby

We had a few around the house, I was most impressed when my Dad blew up a watermelon with a shotgun and told me if I didn't pay attention and respect the weapons, that watermelon could be me. I still remember seeing all that RED flying all over the place.....got my attention.

My dad did that with me, my brothers, and my boys - but he used chickens.

What squirrel hunting when I was four with mom and dad. My older brother and me got our first bb gun a few years later. After he embedded a copperhead bb in my hand the gun was gone forever, fit perfect around pine trees. That let me know that guns were not toys regardless of what type they are. Just about every birthday and Christmas to follow a new rifle or shotgun was entrusted to me. Then after a mishap with the law as an eighteen year old,I received a felony and the pawn shops got a small arsenal. Now I am back to a pellet rifle.

The only gun in my house as a child was my brother's BB gun. He didn't shoot his eye out but he did shoot me in the chest with it while only standing about three feet in front of me. I was reminded of that recently went I had to have a biopsy after my mammogram showed something unusual. The test result came back as something to effect of scar tissue from previous trauma. I still need to get him back him for that!

Edited by SusieQ404