Paulding.com
Sign in to follow this  
zoocrew

Higher Taxes on Sugar Drinks

At least that is part of the answer being offered in some parts of the world to respond positively to the growing epidemic of childhood obesity and dental problems.

My link

What a waste of time, money and effort. As a person who has been in charge of computing, reporting and/or paying sales tax for over 25 years I can't imagine a more asinine idea. The time it will take to track the sales of sugary drinks would be enormous, particularly for retailers such as Walmart, Target, McDonald's, Wendy's, etc. More bureaucracy. Just what we need.

blink.gif

Is no good answer. Many of mi familia down south work cane crops and this could make it hard for them to work if they make the sugar and nobody buys it because of it being taxed. Do not misunderstand, I know mi padre did not come here legally and part of me was upset for a long time about this but I also know now doing it the legal way is too hard and too long, but when so many complain about how many la raza come here it is easy to overlook how some, not all of course, but some choices make it happen more. People choose to do things that are not good for them and mi padre always told me that the best thing about this country is that you are free to choose. you may choose bad or you may choose good. Do I think too much sugar is good? No. But I also think not having freedom to make bad choice is worse.

All you can say is "It Works For Austria." Maybe some folks will join the mass exodus there and can have comfort in knowing they wont be plagued with sugary drinks and assault weapons.

Maybe they should just bring child cruelty charges to parents who feed their children crap like sodas and Mickey D's.

A new tax on tanning salons is just around the corner, add that to a more expensive Mountain dew and what do we have left to live for !

The tax on tanning salons started over a year ago, they added a 10% "tan tax" to all services.

Ah sin taxes, gotta love 'em... I've read about one novel tax that the Spanish imposed on it's countrymen for the longest time was a window tax. They taxed you on the number of windows you had in your house as glass was considered a luxury item. They serve no real purpose except as another source of revenue for an over grasping government and more misery for the working person...

At least that is part of the answer being offered in some parts of the world to respond positively to the growing epidemic of childhood obesity and dental problems.

My link

The biggest problem with the rest of the worlds dental problems is they don't go to the dentist like Americans do. Hell, ask an American with rotten teeth and you will find he never visits a dentist or is smoking meth.

As for obesity...get off your ass and move...especially kids. If they aren't into sports, buy an dang push mower and make'em cut the grass once a week.

Ah sin taxes, gotta love 'em... I've read about one novel tax that the Spanish imposed on it's countrymen for the longest time was a window tax. They taxed you on the number of windows you had in your house as glass was considered a luxury item. They serve no real purpose except as another source of revenue for an over grasping government and more misery for the working person...

I'm not so sure. The high cost of cigarettes has been credited with fewer teens picking up the habit.

The biggest problem with the rest of the worlds dental problems is they don't go to the dentist like Americans do. Hell, ask an American with rotten teeth and you will find he never visits a dentist or is smoking meth.

As for obesity...get off your ass and move...especially kids. If they aren't into sports, buy an dang push mower and make'em cut the grass once a week.

and teach them the meaning of the word "NO". My kids drink soft drinks, I buy a certain amount for the week, if you drink them all in one or two days, you get no more for the rest of the week, there is always water. They use to ask for me to buy more, but the answer was always No, don't ask again or you'll get none next week. They have learned the meaning of the word NO and the concept of moderation.

• Like 2

1356702382[/url]' post='3743835']

I'm not so sure. The high cost of cigarettes has been credited with fewer teens picking up the habit.

Of course, the only people who smoke now are the ones who can afford it. Lots of teens out of work plus the fact that its not as fashionable as it once was. But the tax on alcohol serve nothing to stem the tide of alcoholism among adults nor teens. And some how I don't think the eventual legalization of pot and subsequent tax that will surely follow will stem the tide of pot usage among teens...

and teach them the meaning of the word "NO". My kids drink soft drinks, I buy a certain amount for the week, if you drink them all in one or two days, you get no more for the rest of the week, there is always water. They use to ask for me to buy more, but the answer was always No, don't ask again or you'll get none next week. They have learned the meaning of the word NO and the concept of moderation.

Heck yeah!! Go Bama is one bad Mama!! :clapping: Of course, by "bad" I mean "good"! :good:

Of course it was the tax. :wacko: :wacko:

Had nothing to do with education and parental involvement.

Heck yeah!! Go Bama is one bad Mama!! :clapping: Of course, by "bad" I mean "good"! :good:

:blush: :blush: Thank ya sir! I just figure I'm the parent, so that makes me in charge, not my kids! 8)

Doubtful. It contains natural sugars unlike soft drinks. Then there are the "soft drinks" that contain Splenda or stevia, both natural sugars but not naturally occurring in the drink.

I'm still wondering if fruit juice is going to be on the list of sugar drinks.....

Doubtful. It contains natural sugars unlike soft drinks. Then there are the "soft drinks" that contain Splenda or stevia, both natural sugars but not naturally occurring in the drink.

if the argument is obesity and tooth decay, and not naturally vs unnaturally sugared drinks, fruit juice should be number 1 on the list.

That isn't the true argument. It's added sugar.

if the argument is obesity and tooth decay, and not naturally vs unnaturally sugared drinks, fruit juice should be number 1 on the list.

That isn't the true argument. It's added sugar.

i didn't get that impression, at all, from the OP or the link. perhaps i shouldn't go to Austria any time soon.

WOW. That is a no-information article. It basically says nothing of substance. Oh, wait, ZC posted it. Now I understand.

But if they really wanted to combat childhood obesity, sugary drinks are pretty far down on the list of places to start. pardon.gif

i didn't get that impression, at all, from the OP or the link. perhaps i shouldn't go to Austria any time soon.

• Like 1

Without sugary drinks we'd have no Honey Boo Boo!!!

Georgia wouldn't have two famous reality shows, we'd just be stuck with Housewives of Atlanta!!!

OH NOES!!