Paulding.com
Sign in to follow this  
Bradybunchmom

Fare/Fair Village - early 70's?

Does anyone know anything about this place? I'm assuming it's a community name, like New Ga or Yorkville, but I can't seem to find any info on line about it.

Does anyone know anything about this place? I'm assuming it's a community name, like New Ga or Yorkville, but I can't seem to find any info on line about it.

Could it possibly be Fair Oaks? I grew up in Cobb very close to Fair Oaks.

Could it possibly be Fair Oaks? I grew up in Cobb very close to Fair Oaks.

I'm not sure, but I'll check it out. Thank you!

I'm not sure, but I'll check it out. Thank you!

Your welcome, please let me know if I can help. I'm very familiar with the area around that time. I believe there are several others on here as well! Maybe , this will go somewhere. Wishing the best to you.

Your welcome, please let me know if I can help. I'm very familiar with the area around that time. I believe there are several others on here as well! Maybe , this will go somewhere. Wishing the best to you.

Thank you, I was told that she was around 18/19 at the time, the dad was married and the girls parents lived in that area. She said her Dad told her Fare/Fair Village, but Fair Oaks is possible. I wish I could the post the pics on here so that ya'll could see the reason why this is so possible. It's just crazy!

Thank you, I was told that she was around 18/19 at the time, the dad was married and the girls parents lived in that area. She said her Dad told her Fare/Fair Village, but Fair Oaks is possible. I wish I could the post the pics on here so that ya'll could see the reason why this is so possible. It's just crazy!

Maybe someone on here can help with posting the pics? Sure would help out.

Must be Fair Oaks.

Any idea what part of Cobb County? Marietta? Smyrna? Near Cobb Center? Mableton??

BTW, Fair Oaks actually goes back way before the 1970s. My mom lived there in the early 1950s, before she met my dad. It wasn't a new place then.

to OP: if you can post a picture, I could probably tell you exactly where it is. And might be able to tell you who some of the residents in the area were.

Fair Oaks is near Smyrna.... The S. Cobb Dr/ Austell Rd./ATL Rd area. I think....

But I don't know what this thread is about. I'm on my phone and can't see thread subtitles. LOL

Must be Fair Oaks.

Any idea what part of Cobb County? Marietta? Smyrna? Near Cobb Center? Mableton??

BTW, Fair Oaks actually goes back way before the 1970s. My mom lived there in the early 1950s, before she met my dad. It wasn't a new place then.

to OP: if you can post a picture, I could probably tell you exactly where it is. And might be able to tell you who some of the residents in the area were.

It would have to be close to the Austell area. I was born at Parkway, (been torn down for years) we lived on Hemlock Drive off of South Cobb Parkway. The pics I have to post are of me and the woman that could possibly be my sister. All I know is if this turns out to be my bio mom, she would have been around 18-19 and VERY pregnant in July of '72.

If by "close" to Austell you mean between Austell and Marietta, that wouldn't be Fair Oaks. It is between Smyrna and Marietta, off South Cobb Drive, just south of Lockheed.

Possibility of a "village" and near Austell would make me think Clarkdale.

Could you e-mail the picture, since you can't get it to post?

It would have to be close to the Austell area. I was born at Parkway, (been torn down for years) we lived on Hemlock Drive off of South Cobb Parkway. The pics I have to post are of me and the woman that could possibly be my sister. All I know is if this turns out to be my bio mom, she would have been around 18-19 and VERY pregnant in July of '72.

so you are trying to locate your birthmom or sister? Just asking, I lived off Austell Road. Pics does help alot and I know alot of folks on here are from Cobb. I may not remember someones name until I put the face with it. Get help with posting the pics.

Edited by Garden Girl
  • Like 1

I'm so confused! Are you trying to identify a person? Or an area? Is the person possibly your mother? Or sister? I'm so lost. What is the picture of?

If by "close" to Austell you mean between Austell and Marietta, that wouldn't be Fair Oaks. It is between Smyrna and Marietta, off South Cobb Drive, just south of Lockheed.

Possibility of a "village" and near Austell would make me think Clarkdale.

Could you e-mail the picture, since you can't get it to post?

I think of the area between Austell Rd (near the intersection of S Cobb Drive) over to ATL Rd., up to Pat Mell Interesction, area-ish. Based on old maps we had at the office; I worked just before the interesection of S. Cobb Dr. & Austell Rd, in between the two. If that makes any kind of sense. LOL

so you are trying to locate your birthmom or sister? Just asking, I lived off Austell Road. Pics does help alot and I know alot of folks on here are from Cobb. I may not remember someones name until I put the face with it. Get help with posting the pics.

I may have possibly found my birth sister, just trying to get as much info as possible.

Mrs. B - both :blush:

S & D's Nana - yes I can email them.

Edited by GO*BAMA

I think technically, Fair Oaks was up to Booth Road (near Chattahoochee Tech), out Austell Rd to Atlanta Road, down to about where the Putt-Putt place was and possibly as far as Olive Springs Rd. It really was a small area and not really a "village". The majority of the houses were on the side of South Cobb Drive toward Atlanta Rd, in and around Fair Oaks Elementary, Osborne Junior High, the fire station and the library.

I think of the area between Austell Rd (near the intersection of S Cobb Drive) over to ATL Rd., up to Pat Mell Interesction, area-ish. Based on old maps we had at the office; I worked just before the interesection of S. Cobb Dr. & Austell Rd, in between the two. If that makes any kind of sense. LOL

Fair Oaks still exist.

Fair Oaks is a census-designated place (CDP) in Cobb County, Georgia, United States. The population was 8,225 at the 2010 census.

Fair Oaks lies just outside the city limits of Smyrna, Georgia and Marietta, Georgia, and the area uses "Smyrna" or "Marietta" for its mailing addresses. Except for actual residents of Fair Oaks, very few locals even know it exists as a separately-counted area. The name is also rarely used by local businesses, even in the immediate area. Mableton and Vinings, the only other CDPs in the county, are far better known.

The area was named for its many mature native oak trees. This, however, is threatened by nearby Dobbins Air Reserve Base and new Federal Aviation Administration regulations regarding flight paths for takeoff and landing. In 2005, the lower house of the Georgia General Assembly passed a resolution in support of the community, which was built in the early 20th century, well before the military base.

On Fairground Street, that runs from South Cobb Drive past Roswell Rd. to Chicopee Street, there was Fairview/Fair Village Community Apartments at the bottom of the hill from Lockeed ( I was a baby, so I could be wrong on the name...) It bordered on Clay Street, which is now the 120 Connector. This was a village of apartment homes. Rows and rows of one story flats. (think factory worker apartments). My Grandmother lived there in the late 60s. They tore it all down mid to late 70's and built the Lockeed Credit Union, UPS, CCT, Gas Stations, etc. that line Fairground Street to Clay(120 Conn).

Just a thought.

There is also a Fairview over off Piedmont out in East Cobb.

Edited by hoohaa

On Fairground Street, that runs from South Cobb Drive past Roswell Rd. to Chicopee Street, there was Fairview/Fair Village Community Apartments at the bottom of the hill from Lockeed ( I was a baby, so I could be wrong on the name...) It bordered on Clay Street, which is now the 120 Connector. This was a village of apartment homes. Rows and rows of one story flats. (think factory worker apartments). My Grandmother lived there in the late 60s. They tore it all down mid to late 70's and built the Lockeed Credit Unions, UPS, CCT, Gas Stations, etc. that line Fairground Street to Clay(120 Conn).

Just a thought.

-_- That's the one. Just talked to her and she said that "The Village" was no longer there. Thanks guys for all your help, may be able to look up the census records from that time and area and match with another name if I can get one. Gonna try to see where this goes.

-_- That's the one. Just talked to her and she said that "The Village" was no longer there. Thanks guys for all your help, may be able to look up the census records from that time and area and match with another name if I can get one. Gonna try to see where this goes.

WOW ! GOOD LUCK !!!

On Fairground Street, that runs from South Cobb Drive past Roswell Rd. to Chicopee Street, there was Fairview/Fair Village Community Apartments at the bottom of the hill from Lockeed ( I was a baby, so I could be wrong on the name...) It bordered on Clay Street, which is now the 120 Connector. This was a village of apartment homes. Rows and rows of one story flats. (think factory worker apartments). My Grandmother lived there in the late 60s. They tore it all down mid to late 70's and built the Lockeed Credit Union, UPS, CCT, Gas Stations, etc. that line Fairground Street to Clay(120 Conn).

Just a thought.

Didn't mostly Lockheed employees live in that neighborhood??? I remember some of the old Lockheed folks talking something about that???

Didn't mostly Lockheed employees live in that neighborhood??? I remember some of the old Lockheed folks talking something about that???

Some of the younger Lockeed folks may have. Both my parents worked at Lockeed and they owned their own home. They put Grandma up in an apartment there to have her close by.

I seem to recall alot of young families, other kids there when I would visit.

IN FACT, there was a young girl, 9 maybe that was abducted from the complex laundry mat. There has to be a news article somewhere. She was found murdered in the woods at Windy Hill and 41 where Haverty's is now. The article might give the proper name. I remember this cause Granny/Mom wouldn't let us out of her sight and put the fear of G__ in us about never stepping out of sight! GOING TO SEARCH for the news report!

This is all I got so far, and they refer to it as a 75-100 acre housing project.

Missing Girl from Laundromat

Edited by hoohaa

Some of the younger Lockeed folks may have. Both my parents worked at Lockeed and they owned their own home. They put Grandma up in an apartment there to have her close by.

I seem to remember several folks talking about living there growing up. These were second generation Lockheed employees (that are about 10 yrs older than me--so that would put them in the 60-70 yr old range). I will ask my good friend--she and her mother both worked there.

IN FACT, there was a young girl, 6 maybe that was abducted from the complex laundry mat. There has to be a news article somewhere. She was found murdered in the woods at Windy Hill and 41 where Haverty's is now. The article might give the proper name. I remember this cause Granny wouldn't let us out of her sight and put the fear of G__ in us about never stepping out of sight! GOING TO SEARCH for the news report!

OMG! I remember that. It was like the boogy man was in our area.We lived in Smyrna and my dad worked at Lockheed at the time. I still think that little girl and those apartments when I go by there. They looked like Monopoly houses.

I seem to remember several folks talking about living there growing up. These were second generation Lockheed employees (that are about 10 yrs older than me--so that would put them in the 60-70 yr old range). I will ask my good friend--she and her mother both worked there.

There were duplexes and apartments for the employees back in the Bomber Plant days. I am a second generation Lockheed employee retired, and I am nowhere near 60.:)

I did live in one of the duplexes when I first married in the early 80's.

Fair Oaks is was at the end of the runway on the Naval side of the AFB. There use to be a drive in theater there that is now part of the Southern Tech campus.

OMG!!!!!! How ironic, coincidental, crazy, etc. Wow, you are in my thoughts and prayers. I hope this can give some answers to you. How cool! And if you end up at a roadblock, I hope this renews your search and opens other avenues.

I have my fingers and toes crossed for you!

There were duplexes and apartments for the employees back in the Bomber Plant days. I am a second generation Lockheed employee retired, and I am nowhere near 60.:)

I did live in one of the duplexes when I first married in the early 80's.

Fair Oaks is was at the end of the runway on the Naval side of the AFB. There use to be a drive in theater there that is now part of the Southern Tech campus.

I am no where near 60 either! ;) I was a little kid back in the early 70s. They stopped calling it Bell Bomber well before the 70s.

That was the Marlboro Drive in if memory serves me. My big sister took us to see the Green Slime there. First and last time I ever went there. It was where Southern Tech Campus driveway is now, on Clay Street/120 connector, just before Cobb Parkway on the right. That would be just the other side of South Cobb Drive from Dobbins, all in the same four square vicinity bordered by South Cobb Drive, 41/Cobb Parkway, Clay Road/120 Conn., Fairground Street.

What was the name of the apartments you lived in?

I am no where near 60 either! ;) I was a little kid back in the early 70s. They stopped calling it Bell Bomber well before the 70s.

That was the Marlboro Drive in if memory serves me. My big sister took us to see the Green Slime there. First and last time I ever went there. It was where Southern Tech Campus driveway is now, on Clay Street/120 connector, just before Cobb Parkway on the right. That would be just the other side of South Cobb Drive from Dobbins, all in the same four square vicinity bordered by South Cobb Drive, 41/Cobb Parkway, Clay Road/120 Conn., Fairground Street.

I can't remember the name of the road but Fair Oaks was on up from fairground. Behind the Marietta Cemetery and it runs along side of the railroad tracks. Do you remember Hunt's Ice Cream shop? That is the road where Fair Oaks was located.

I didn't live in the Monopoly apartments. I lived across fairground in the duplexes built long before I was born. Just across the road from the apartments. On down are the old folks duplexes. My grandaddy lived there when they were first built.

I can't remember the name of the road but Fair Oaks was on up from fairground. Behind the Marietta Cemetery and it runs along side of the railroad tracks. Do you remember Hunt's Ice Cream shop? That is the road where Fair Oaks was located.

I didn't live in the Monopoly apartments. I lived across fairground in the duplexes built long before I was born. Just across the road from the apartments. On down are the old folks duplexes. My grandaddy lived there when they were first built.

Hunt's was near the egg plant.

That was Fair Oaks, best I can remember south from there to Midway.

I thought about that area but didn't know if it had a name. I had a friend who lived there in the 70s.

Just a thought.

Marbro was on Austell Road, where Richway used to be, not far from Cobb Hospital. The drive in near Southern Tech had another name. I can't remember the name but seems like it was the Georgian drive in. I'll ask my best friend. She and her now husband used to go there every weekend.

OMG!!!!!! How ironic, coincidental, crazy, etc. Wow, you are in my thoughts and prayers. I hope this can give some answers to you. How cool! And if you end up at a roadblock, I hope this renews your search and opens other avenues.

I have my fingers and toes crossed for you!

Thank you, I'm trying not to get my hopes up, but it's just so crazy! I'm kinda scared to put to much in because I had searched long and hard for several years with nothing and it was kind of a let down when nothing ever turned up. This is just kinda hard for me to wrap my head around it all right now. I showed the picture of this lady to my husband last night and he told me that he sees a lot of resemblence and so did my Aunt.

Thank you, I'm trying not to get my hopes up, but it's just so crazy! I'm kinda scared to put to much in because I had searched long and hard for several years with nothing and it was kind of a let down when nothing ever turned up. This is just kinda hard for me to wrap my head around it all right now. I showed the picture of this lady to my husband last night and he told me that he sees a lot of resemblence and so did my Aunt.

http://www.city-data.com/city/Fair-Oaks-Georgia.html

This link may have to be typed in but, it will tell you everything about the Fair Oaks community.

Good luck in finding your sister.

http://www.city-data.com/city/Fair-Oaks-Georgia.html

This link may have to be typed in but, it will tell you everything about the Fair Oaks community.

Good luck in finding your sister.

Thank you, she is the one I may have found through a series of very crazy circumstances that all started the day after I read the Christmas Blessing post on here. Everything is just....... it's kinda weird how it all happened.

Thank you, she is the one I may have found through a series of very crazy circumstances that all started the day after I read the Christmas Blessing post on here. Everything is just....... it's kinda weird how it all happened.

God works in mysterious ways!!

I'm waiting and watching for your updates!

I have my fingers crossed!!!

Do you have a name, a family name or a street name? PM me if you don't want it public.

Honey Blessings just don't happen, they are sent from God in his timing not ours. If it is time then everything will fall in place ,the right people , the right places. It is all about timing. Good luck and God bless you.