Paulding.com

How do you respond

When someone says "thank you"?

I knew we have had this conversation before but thought I would bring it up again.

I work in the technical support/customer service area and deal with customers all the time. For the past few weeks I have been conducting my own little experiment on how customers respond when they say thank you.

In the past I typically replied with a "no problem" response. For the past several weeks I have made every attempt to say "you're welcome" and I have found when I respond with you're welcome I get a much more pleasant reception from the customer.

I think I am on to something here...

:) :)

Edited by ~Chester~

"You're welcome". "No problem" leaves a bad taste. It infers that it was considered and was supposed to be a problem, but that the person who helped you didn't take it that way. I consider "no problem" as lazy, but kids and young adults who say it really might not know any better. It's still better than a grunt or nothing at all.

Edited by Rookie

You're welcome :) .

No problem annoys me a teensy bit too, and I find that more young people respond in that way. It doesn't make me ill or anything, I just notice it more I guess?

I think the important thing is there is any response at all, because it's just polite to respond :) .

It depends on what I'm being thanked for. Sometimes, I just shrug. It really wasn't a big deal. Most of the time I say "you're welcome. Happy to have helped".

When someone says "thank you"?

I knew we have had this conversation before but thought I would bring it up again.

I work in the technical support/customer service area and deal with customers all the time. For the past few weeks I have been conducting my own little experiment on how customers respond when they say thank you.

In the past I typically replied with a "no problem" response. For the past several weeks I have made every attempt to say "you're welcome" and I have found when I respond with you're welcome I get a much more pleasant reception from the customer.

I think I am on to something here...

:) :)

If I go out of my way to do something for you I will respond with "You're Welcome."

If I did something just because I wanted to, I might just respond with a smile and slight tip of my head. In other words, it was nice of you to acknowledge what I did, but it wasn't necessary because I didn't really do it for you.

"No problem" irritates me. I much prefer "You're welcome"....or even better...."It was my pleasure." I get especially negative vibes when the person says "no problem" and doesn't look me in the eye. The two actions seem to go together and they seem to be more common among the younger (under 35) generation. And yeah, the tips are bigger when I don't get negative vibes. :ninja:

I realize you said you are in customer service and most likely via the phone? So eye contact may not be a factor, but since you asked.......... 8)

You're welcome, unless you're a Chick-Fil-A employee then it's My pleasure. I worked with someone and she'd say "uh-huh" when she was on the phone and the caller said thank you. It drove me up the wall!

Its probably just me but the 'my pleasure' annoys the crap out of me.

• Like 2

Why would someone's response to a 'Thank you' that acknowledges the thank you irritate or annoy someone so much? They're acknowledging it, and replying to it. You're welcome is a thank for the thank you, 'No problem' would seem to say the thank you is not necessary since the person being thanked felt it was something they would have done anyway. A thank you would seem to imply that a person went out of their way to do something.

Doesn't bother me what a person responds with, a welcome, no problems, a blank vacant look, or a 'ummm ok'. Far too petty of a reason to become bothered with,