Paulding.com

Fast Food drive-thru question

This is a silly but it drives me crazy. Hopefully someone with fast food experience can explain.

Say you go to a fast food drive-thru and order something that takes a few minutes to cook. Nobody is in line behind you in the drive-thru. Why do most fast food joints have you park to wait for the food even though nobody is in line behind you? Why not wait until someone else is in line before asking me to park? Why can't I just sit at the drive-thru window until the food is ready? Wouldn't this save the worker's time since they wouldn't have to bring the food out to my car?

:wacko:

P.S. Yes, I know fast food is bad for you. :pardon:

P.P.S. No, I'm not concerned with how many people are killed at drive-thru windows. :rolleyes:

• Like 1

it's all about their numbers.. if you stay in their line too long you are not a completed transaction in a timely manner... it's all about appearance :)

Don't know about all fast-food, but that doesn't affect McDonald's.

If you are "parked," the counter is still going. The counter doesn't get stopped until the order

is fulfilled.

The main reason McDonald's will park you is because if they let you sit there for 30 seconds or a minute and

then the other car drives up, it will generally irritate the person more if they have been allowed to sit there and then have to move.

If you have them move right off the bat, the customer is generally less irritated.

It's all about psychology.

Edited by Nitro

Simple procedure, nothing more.

You gotta remember...a lot of fast food employees are not terribly bright and the industry has learned to teach them to do the same thing over and over again. Too risky to allow them to make judgement calls, just follow standard procedure regardless of circumstances.

You gotta remember...a lot of fast food employees are not terribly bright and the industry has learned to teach them to do the same thing over and over again. Too risky to allow them to make judgement calls, just follow standard procedure regardless of circumstances.

They are not getting paid to think.

These kind of comments are why they spit in your food.

Edited by CitizenCain
  • Like 3

I was at a Wendy's and the lady asked me to pull away from the window to wait for my food. Her request seemed odd considering there was no one behind me, so I asked why? She said they were timed and given bad grades if the wait was too long. I wish I had been quicker on my feet that day. Maybe my food would have come out quicker if I had stayed at the window with the timer counting.

Does it really matter in the great scheme of things? So you are asked to pull up for a minute. If that is the worst thing that happens, you are all good. ^_^

In the grand scheme of things at least 2 of us are bothered at being asked to pull up past a drive in window when no one else is behind us.

You ever think about how great it is that God created us all uniquely?

If we all had the same personality, this would be one boring world.

In the grand scheme of things at least 2 of us are bothered at being asked to pull up past a drive in window when no one else is behind us.

You ever think about how great it is that God created us all uniquely?

If we all had the same personality, this would be one boring world.

ehhh, pick your battles. This is not one I am willing to get all hot and bothered about. :pardon:

Does it really matter in the great scheme of things? So you are asked to pull up for a minute. If that is the worst thing that happens, you are all good. ^_^

It was a simple question about something that bothers me. It's not like I stay up nights pondering this. You're free to not reply in this thread if you don't feel the topic is worthy of your concern. :drinks:

It was a simple question about something that bothers me. It's not like I stay up nights pondering this. You're free to not reply in this thread if you don't feel the topic is worthy of your concern. :drinks:

However you did post it on here, leaving it open to discussion by anyone who wishes to do so. And thereby leaving it open to comments, questions, and any other responses any person should feel like making. If you do not welcome certain comments or questions then you are free not to open your sentiments to discussion.

However you did post it on here, leaving it open to discussion by anyone who wishes to do so. And thereby leaving it open to comments, questions, and any other responses any person should feel like making. If you do not welcome certain comments or questions then you are free not to open your sentiments to discussion.

Merry Christmas!

My mother refuses to pull forward. It used to annoy me....but I have more than once pulled forward and then been forgotten....they already had my money, so I drove back around.

The POS systems (Point Of Sale) that most of the major chains use should prevent that from happening.

Unless someone just makes a big mistake, pulling forward should not delay your order one bit. But it does clear the way for other customers to be served while you are waiting on your order.

Actually, I work at Popeyes in Hiram and all drive-thrus are on a timer. Different places have to keep their time under a certain number. We have to have customers from the speaker and leaving the window in under 3 minutes. We are in competition with the other Popeyes in our district and if the time is really bad, the crew members and managers get in trouble.

Actually the drive through could save millions by when you ask for ketchup I only need two or three,. They take hand fulls and through it when you ask. I know of one place I know of that does as cptlo306 describes known as BoJ$^%4s. There is no one in line and they ask you to wait.

Your absolutely right, which is why I avoid the drive thru like a plague.

But then again I avoid fast food pretty much all together. Don't need people spitting in my food.

I do agree. Avoiding fast food is a great way to have a more healthy lifestyle of better weight control, better cholesterol numbers, lower blood sugar, etc.

Over population, World hunger, climate change, mass murders, crime, injustice, racism .......no waiting for fast food nope not on my list, sorry.

You, former member and the Postman have all that covered. Can't we have our little insignificant posts?

• Like 2

So, pulling forward to avoid a bad grade really isn't showing the correct numbers anyway. So it just says to corporate...yes I can meet your ridiculous time limit. Even when you can't. hmmmm and yeah - it bugs me too when there is no one behind me.

• Like 1

Actually, I work at Popeyes in Hiram and all drive-thrus are on a timer. Different places have to keep their time under a certain number. We have to have customers from the speaker and leaving the window in under 3 minutes. We are in competition with the other Popeyes in our district and if the time is really bad, the crew members and managers get in trouble.

~~~~Hi-Jack~~~~

Is popeye's up and running ???

I have been in there a couple of times

to get the special that is advertised

on TV... NOPE, NADA... always SOLD OUT!!!

and MGR is not very nice

~~~ Hi-Jack OVER~~~

T.I.A. :drinks:

This is a silly but it drives me crazy. Hopefully someone with fast food experience can explain.

Say you go to a fast food drive-thru and order something that takes a few minutes to cook. Nobody is in line behind you in the drive-thru. Why do most fast food joints have you park to wait for the food even though nobody is in line behind you? Why not wait until someone else is in line before asking me to park? Why can't I just sit at the drive-thru window until the food is ready? Wouldn't this save the worker's time since they wouldn't have to bring the food out to my car?

:wacko:

P.S. Yes, I know fast food is bad for you. :pardon:

P.P.S. No, I'm not concerned with how many people are killed at drive-thru windows. :rolleyes:

Would this happen to be KFC?

• Like 1