Paulding.com

Paying for Genealogy Services

I have a rant about Ancestry.com and Fold3.com. First is Georgia has free access to Genealogy records,pension records and the like. Alabama used to have free access but the link is down and you can only access through Ancestry.com. Bottom line is all these records are public property and should be free to access. If they want to close the Archives fine. Just at least scan the records and put them online available to everyone. These website charge outrageous prices for information that should be free for all. All states should do this.

Its kinda like the Peach Pass on 1-85. We paid for the road 150 times over so they come install equipment and more enforcement and charge people to use the HOV lane for money and make a profit during high traffic times. These records belong to the public and to charge a fee or allow others to charge a fee for access is a ripoff.

YEAH I am a whiner andi want some cheese to go with it.

genealogists.jpg

Agreed, BUT I'm sure Ancestry, et al, charge because they bear the burden of putting the information online and maintaining databases, etc.

Edited on account of I was really sleepy when I wrote that and I don't spell so gud when I's sleepy. ;)

Edited by mei lan
  • Like 2

Ellis Island.org is free as well. http://www.ellisisla...passSearch.asp?

Yes, and it is great if you know that is where your search leads you. Not everyone with the same last name is related. Many sources are available for free. Most of them offer limited information, but for full service you are still asked for a "donation."

You can do a monthly membership with Ancestry. Seeing as most of the sites send you that way anyways.

Yes, I do use Ancestry, and I have about 6 trees going right now.

Yes, I recall being able to search the Social Security Death Index for free a few years back but now it's locked down. I don't appreciate our tax dollars being used to gather this information and it being held hostage by a private firm.

In my recent research I found these sites useful:

Find A Grave

http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gs&

Many archived newspapers here:

http://news.google.com/newspapers

Also, the Cobb library system provides access to a genealogy service for cardholders for free and Paulding may do the same. It's called HeritageQuest through GALILEO. It's not super but is pretty good for some things. I was able to find some census records there and used screen shots to put them in a recent memorial slideshow. Using one of the newspapers on the google site I found actual scans of the newspaper's announcements from the '30s and '40s of graduations for the same memorial slideshow. If there had been an engagement or wedding announcement I might have found it there, too. Some counties also have online searching of historical marriage license applications as well as estates/probate cases. I know for sure that Charleston County, SC offers this.

"HeritageQuest Online combines digital, searchable images of U.S. federal census records with the digitized version of the UMI (University Microfilm International) Genealogy & Local History collection and other content.

HeritageQuest Online is a growing collection that currently includes the following:

■Genealogy and local history books that include more than 7 million digitized page images from over 28,000 family histories, local histories, and other books in addition to more than 250 primary source documents such as tax lists, city directories, church and probate records, and more

■1790-1930 U.S. Federal Census records feature the original images of every extant federal census in the United States with name indexes for many decades covering more than 140 million names

■Periodical Source Index (PERSI), published by the Allen County Public Library, is recognized as the most comprehensive index of genealogy and local history periodicals, containing more than 2.3 million records covering titles published around the world since 1800.

■The Revolutionary War Pension and Bounty Land Warrant Application Files contains original images of selected Veteran Administration records pension and bounty land warrant application files help to identify more than 80,000 American Army, Navy, and Marine officers and enlisted men from the Revolutionary War era

■The Freedman's Bank Records, one of the most important resources for African-American genealogical research, provides more than 480,000 names of bank applicants, their dependents, and heirs from 1865�1874, offers valuable data that can provide important clues to tracing African American ancestors prior to and immediately after the Civil War

■U.S. Congressional Serial Set records the memorials, petitions, private relief actions made to the U.S. Congress back to 1789, with a total of more than 480,000 pages of information"

• 2 weeks later...

Found it:

FamilySearch Historical Records is run by the Mormon Church and is FREE.

The FamilySearch Historical Records collection is provided online for research at no cost by the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. To date there are 1,413 individual collections containing more than 3.5 billion genealogical records from around the world.

Found the info of several free sites at ABOUT.com

No, they have their own programs and website.

Edited by AustinPlantation