Paulding.com

Guns, help me understand why

I am in no way anti-gun.

I believe in our right to own them, they don't frighten me.

I know how to use one and have shot them. I didn't get the kick out of it some do. I despise loud sharp noises so that was a negative for me.

I understand hunting, I have no issue with it.

I am just wondering why the kid's mother had 3. I also wonder why many people have multiple weapons, especially the one designed to kill humans.

It kind of sets off a red flag for me when people have a large assortment of weapons designed for personal protection. You can only shoot one at a time.

I just find the assortment this single mother had on hand to be a little odd. If she was that paranoid and concerned for her personal safety her son might have lived in the shadow of mom's fears and insecurities also.

I don't want to see armed people walking around the schools in front of children so that they are reminded and live in fear.

Childhood should be innocent. I can remember trick or treating as a child, I didn't think I was dressed or behaving in an evil way. When we stopped children from dressing like scary fairytale people we made them believe that evil was all around them and it should be feared.

One of the fathers said something so profound and that is to not let this single tragedy define us for the rest of our lives. When we look back over the recent past there is evidence that we tend to do that.

You can not live your life in fear and it is wrong to force your children to live that way also.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The average response time of a 911 call is 23 minutes; the response time of a .357 is 1400 feet per second.

It is hard to say why she had so many guns. Why to do guitar players have so many guitars. The reason each has it's own sound. Similar with guns.. Each is slightly different. If you are into various t

So, because I'm a firearms enthusiast and enjoy shooting my guns, that should throw up a flag?   Because I choose to collect firearms, whereas someone else chooses to collect cars, or beer cans, or

It is hard to say why she had so many guns. Why to do guitar players have so many guitars. The reason each has it's own sound. Similar with guns.. Each is slightly different. If you are into various target shooting each gun is slightly different. Example: I have a 1911 .45; but I also have a 22 that is similar. why; because the 22 is cheaper to shoot. For many, hand guns is a hobby. Another way to look at it. Lets take an alcoholic that is convicted of several dui's. He has 10 different kinds of whiskey in his house. Drinks an entire bottle, drives down the road hits a car and kill 5 people.... How many bottles of whiskey did the alcoholic need? He only needed one to get the same affect of being drunk.. Should we now out law all whiskey or limit how many bottles a person can own? The gun was just a tool, the person behind the gun committed the action? The bigger question is what prompted the person to commit the act. Not what they used. hat they used is not as relevant as why. If people are hell bent on taking someone else life they will use whatever means is available.

• Like 9
I also wonder why many people have multiple weapons, especially the one designed to kill humans.

It kind of sets off a red flag for me when people have a large assortment of weapons designed for personal protection. You can only shoot one at a time.

So, because I'm a firearms enthusiast and enjoy shooting my guns, that should throw up a flag?

Because I choose to collect firearms, whereas someone else chooses to collect cars, or beer cans, or bottle caps... I set off a red flag?

Note: ALL firearms are designed to kill. It doesn't matter what is in the sights, ANY firearm will kill.

They don't distinguish between humans, paper targets, deer, or glass.

Yeah, I can only shoot one at a time. But maybe I want to shoot my rifle one time and not my hand gun.

Maybe I want to shoot one of my handguns one outing at the range.

Some people have multiple cars and like to drive them at different times... My guns are the same way.

You say you are not paranoid and have no problems with them... yet you make comments like this?

All my firearms, I own legally and I use them in a legal manner.

Therefore, it's none of your business how many I have or why I have them.

With that said, I haven't been watching the news much,

but the last I heard, the handguns belonged to his brother, not his mother.

Has this story changed recently? I've seen several people post about his mother,

but I haven't heard the news recently.

• Like 6

The first handgun I purchased was the one that I liked the best after shooting various guns at a range. The second handgun I purchased is subcompact and easily concealed. I purchased my third handgun because it is a little smaller and lighter than the first, making it easier to conceal and more comfortable to carry.

Rohm RG20 .22short revolver

Jimenez JA-22 .22LR semi-auto pistol

Heritage Rough Rider .22lr/.22Magnum Revolver

Sccy CPX-1 9mm semi-auto pistol

Hi-Point JCP .40S&W Semi Auto pistol

Karibiner 98k 8mm Mauser Bolt-Action Rifle

Lee-Enfield No.4 Mk.1 .303british Bolt-action Rifle

SKS 7.62x39mm semi-auto Rifle

All purchased legally. and yes I have a license to carry.

I didnt so much as shoot my first weapon until I was 21 years old. Do I need that many weapons? no. Do you need a variety of foods in your kitchen? No. How about different kinds of cutlery? Ill bet you have a paring knife and a carving knife and a steak knife. You dont NEED all of those do you? How about different dvds in your home? Ill bet youve got a few. How many vibrators and other prosthetic phallic devices occupy your sock drawer I wonder...

variety is the spice of life. Maybe you should relax.

• Like 5

My dad has a 12-gauge for hunting, a .38 police special for protection, a rifle for hunting, and a gun that was his dad's. He's used the hunting rifle once and they're all locked in the gun cabinet in storage (except the .38) and I knew about them and respected them and didn't touch them or even the cabinet. I didn't even know about the handgun being in the house until years after I'd moved out. Hubby has a few pistols, couldn't tell you what kind, and his grandfather's rifle (sentimental reasons, they don't even make that particular ammo anymore) but they're all locked up, unloaded, and very well hidden and the kids don't even know we have any in the house.

A lot of people have multiple guns. It usually starts with one for target shooting/protection, one for hunting (and that usually turns into 2 or 3 for hunting), then dad hands his down from his dad. It's usually an innocent thing with no ill intent. The problem is the people that get hold of them for the wrong purpose. Mental illness needs to be much more heavily researched and funded and lose the negative stigma attached to it. I know things like what happened in Connecticut strengthen the image of what people associate with mental illness, but if people didn't fear the humiliation or deny the signs of something wrong then maybe, just maybe, this person could have gotten help and not gone down this path.

• Like 1

Actually I heard it reported that the shooter's mother was a 'survivalist' of a sort - which is I suppose a way of stating that she was fearful of what the future might hold.

If the arsenal she acquired was supposed to aid in her survival, it is obvious that her plan was flawed.

pubby

Rohm RG20 .22short revolver

Jimenez JA-22 .22LR semi-auto pistol

Heritage Rough Rider .22lr/.22Magnum Revolver

Sccy CPX-1 9mm semi-auto pistol

Hi-Point JCP .40S&W Semi Auto pistol

Karibiner 98k 8mm Mauser Bolt-Action Rifle

Lee-Enfield No.4 Mk.1 .303british Bolt-action Rifle

SKS 7.62x39mm semi-auto Rifle

All purchased legally. and yes I have a license to carry.

I didnt so much as shoot my first weapon until I was 21 years old. Do I need that many weapons? no. Do you need a variety of foods in your kitchen? No. How about different kinds of cutlery? Ill bet you have a paring knife and a carving knife and a steak knife. You dont NEED all of those do you? How about different dvds in your home? Ill bet youve got a few. How many vibrators and other prosthetic phallic devices occupy your sock drawer I wonder...variety is the spice of life. Maybe you should relax.

None......in my sock drawer.

I'll take the K98 and the Mark 1.

I didn't ask the question for anyone to defend their firearms or collection of them. I ask about motivation because I don't get it. I have one, I need to shoot a person or animal I get it accomplished with the gun. That is what I have it for I intend to kill with it when I pick it up and point it.

It is not a toy for my enjoyment.

It is unusual for single mothers to have a collection unless inherited. Unusual but not too far out there until your son loads and takes all 3 with him. He intended to do a lot of killing.

I have noticed some gun owners are paranoid, that the gooberment is going to take their guns, thats what guns are for to keep the government from even considering it.

That is not what I ask or intentioned, I simply ask why the first one does not kill well enough that you need 2,3, or 5? 200 pairs of shoes make more sense to me. I might even have a spare hair dryer but I just don't do that much killing that I need a spare.

I didn't ask the question for anyone to defend their firearms or collection of them. I ask about motivation because I don't get it. I have one, I need to shoot a person or animal I get it accomplished with the gun. That is what I have it for I intend to kill with it when I pick it up and point it.

It is unusual for single mothers to have a collection unless inherited. Unusual but not too far out there until your son loads and takes all 3 with him. He intended to do a lot of killing.

I have noticed some gun owners are paranoid, that the gooberment is going to take their guns, thats what guns are for to keep the government from even considering it.

That is not what I ask or intentioned, I simply ask why the first one does not kill well enough that you need 2,3, or 5? 200 pairs of shoes make more sense to me. I might even have a spare hair dryer but I just don't do that much killing that I need a spare.

That is because you enjoy and get use out of shoes.

For me, I get the exact same thing from guns.

Like someone said about cars or tools, the same goes with me for guns.

My guns are not the same, just as your shoes would not be the same.

Different makes, styles and sizes of shoes, same with guns.

I buddy of mine, who I have been very close to for over 35 years, said not too long ago that he has known two things about me since we 1st met.

Stradial loves books and he loves guns.

They are my two passions and I enjoy both, tho I do love my books just a little more.

That is the best I can do to explain as tired as I am.

I hope all are doing as well as can be.

:)

That is because you enjoy and get use out of shoes.

For me, I get the exact same thing from guns.

Like someone said about cars or tools, the same goes with me for guns.

My guns are not the same, just as your shoes would not be the same.

Different makes, styles and sizes of shoes, same with guns.

I buddy of mine, who I have been very close to for over 35 years, said not too long ago that he has known two things about me since we 1st met.

Stradial loves books and he loves guns.

They are my two passions and I enjoy both, tho I do love my books just a little more.

That is the best I can do to explain as tired as I am.

I hope all are doing as well as can be.

:)

We are doing fine, my first husband had over 25 guns when he was killed. The uzis and drums went pretty fast, it was the other stuff that took forever to unload. I never understood it. I am the same way about a car, it drives me and hauls my stuff, I don't need fancy to get around in.

I wonder if you would have ask that kid what those guns were for what would he have answered. If you ask me what my gun is for I would tell you killing.

You see I have to protect his right to the guns, to protect my right to have mine. The way I see it as a society we are to some extent forced to accept mass killings as part and parcel of the deal.

I am not making a judgment just stating a fact. I certainly have no inclination to give my weapon up ever.

LPPT....your position makes sense if the only reason people had guns was for personal protection. that's not the only reason though. your shoes aren't just about protecting your feet.

I have a hard time understanding gambling addictions. they make no sense to me. however, I'm addicted to nicotine.

some things just don't make sense to everyone.

• Like 1

I have noticed some gun owners are paranoid, that the gooberment is going to take their guns, that's what guns are for to keep the government from even considering it.

Not to me. Does that mean I have to give up my girl card?

From the article below, it sounds like guns were a hobby to her. I echo others' thoughts here...some folks like going to yard sales, some folks like the symphony, some folks like guns. Simple as that.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2248645/She-target-shooting-kids-Nancy-Lanza-mother-murderer-Adam-Lanza-avid-gun-collector-taught-sons-use-firearms.html

I have quite the collection. I only purchased one of them. I have the others due the passing of my uncle, father, and grandfather. Only one is for protection, the others will handed down to my children. My motivation for having a collection, to take care of them and pass them down generation after generation.

I don't think that should throw up red flags, unless you see them in the gun rack above every door!! :ninja:

We are doing fine, my first husband had over 25 guns when he was killed. The uzis and drums went pretty fast, it was the other stuff that took forever to unload. I never understood it. I am the same way about a car, it drives me and hauls my stuff, I don't need fancy to get around in.

I wonder if you would have ask that kid what those guns were for what would he have answered. If you ask me what my gun is for I would tell you killing.

You see I have to protect his right to the guns, to protect my right to have mine. The way I see it as a society we are to some extent forced to accept mass killings as part and parcel of the deal.

I am not making a judgment just stating a fact. I certainly have no inclination to give my weapon up ever.

I am the same way about a car.

My wife doesn't understand my infatuation with guns either, but she has come to accept that is nothing to do with anything other than just something I have an strong interest in.

After my son was born, I did not buy any guns, ammo or anything related to guns.

This was because, as we all know, a kid is expensive and my hobby took last place.

I have been able to "get back into" this hobby over the past 6 years.

Like any hobby, it has to be done with disposable income.

That is why I said I love my books more, I never stopped spending money on them, but that is a cheaper hobby as I go the used bookstores.

Keeping you and your dad in my prayers.

Oh and knowing you, I never took this to be in anyway "anti-gun".

Its shocking to me that people don't have at least one weapon for each member of their household, plus spares, and lots of ammo for each. Not to mention that guns are possibly the safest financial investment there is. Even if we experienced complete economic collapse, gun values would only go up.

For a lot of men guns can make them feel like they have a larger penis. So naturally the more you have the bigger, well you know. Same thing for Balls a big gun can make a man with small balls suddenly feel like he has a huge pair.

Other men may drink, buy sports cars or purchase motorcycles with loud mufflers to get the same effect.

Edited by CitizenCain

For a lot of men guns make them feel like they have a larger penis. So naturally the more you have the bigger, well you know. Same thing for Balls a big gun can make a man with small balls suddenly feel like he has a huge pair.

Other men may drink or buy sports cars to get the same effect.

Not at all a blanket statement, but I have to think that some folks who are obsessed with guns might also be obsessed with seeing the results for themselves.

Actually I heard it reported that the shooter's mother was a 'survivalist' of a sort - which is I suppose a way of stating that she was fearful of what the future might hold.

If the arsenal she acquired was supposed to aid in her survival, it is obvious that her plan was flawed.

pubby

As could any of plans be. Even during a Zombie apocolypse. It just takes one small bite and your toast.:wacko:

I was reading this thread thinking what someone from a country that they have few guns would think.

From the outside looking in we look scary.

We all have guns, as I said they are for killing, if you want to kill some or something your pretty much guaranteed to get it done.

Every one in America is armed, citizens, criminals, police, and even our kids. We know a lot of kids especially in the south have their first shot gun by 12.

I would hazard to guess we have at least one fatal shooting every day in this country.

I am not sure if our culture is any more violent than others, but because of the proliferation of firearms I do believe that antisocial behavior more often leads to death.

Are we more violent over all? Do violent movies and games sell better here than the rest of the world?

I know that killing is a consistent theme in our entertainment.

This is where I am going, I am assuming that those collecting like shooting, it also gives one a sense of security(why I have mine).

When we look at popular media it is not shooting that entertains us but killing.

What pathways hard wire in the brain as it is related to gun might be interesting to explore.

I only have 2 scenarios in my head about my weapon, one is being physically threatened by a stranger, the other is wild animals after me or my dogs.

How do we know if people that have them think in terms of fixing people problems they can't cope with..

How many time have you heard someone say when they look at a side arm, damn I don't want to piss him off. LET THAT SINK IN.

We do to a certain extent live in fear because of the proliferation of firearms in this country.

We don't exactly depend on the mutual agreement of civility in this country.

Just to be honest with everyone I have always been a little afraid that someone would come in and shoot Pubby and I. I have felt that way since the first election I covered. Sometimes people get raked over the coals pretty bad on here, they can't get to the anonymous folks but they can find us.

Their is simply a level of paranoia that we have taken on in our society because of firearms.

Before anyone gets freaky, this is a discussion, it's not an anti-gun discussion, so I don't want to discuss protection of gun rights.

I want to talk about our armed society and culture.

Is violence in media a way of exercising the violence in us all, or are we indulging ourselves in a dangerous way.

I believe all people have it in them to be violent, there is no such thing as someone that would not hurt a fly.

I can tell you that shootings and mass shootings no longer shock me, make angry, make me sad yes. I understand that there are thousands of well armed ticking bombs out there.

First we wanted no guns in schools and churches and now we want more of them to protect us.

Even if you were to feel that people should have to give up their firearms you could never get them back, so gun control is just stupid.

Make no mistake though we will always live shootings. It is not something that is fixable.

Not at all a blanket statement, but I have to think that some folks who are obsessed with guns might also be obsessed with seeing the results for themselves.

Well they certainly think about it often, that is why I stopped carrying, it forces you to think about it all the time. You carry it for one reason, the weight of it makes you think about that reason all day every day. I can't live that way thinking that sooner or later someone is going to commit a violent act against me and I am going to use it. I understand if people find themselves in places were the potential is high. But it is not for me. My first husband pushed me into carrying one, I felt paranoid the whole time.

I have a Foreman whom is a very close friend of mine, and he owns upwards of 35 firearms from .22 rifles to .44 mag revolvers and just about every caliber rifle and shotgun there is. When his father dies he is to inherit twice that many firearms. Not one was bought for personal protection but everyone of them can be used for it. Another friend of mine has several "assault rifles" not purchased for protection but rather to kill those pesky little pieces of paper with circles and numbers on them which stare at you with that orange cyclops eye of theirs. You see just because someone owns multiple firearms does not mean they are for protection or fear of anything but rather because they just might actually like the weight, feel, and possibly even the look of it. We should not focus on the fact that a single mother had several weapons that could be used for defense but the fact that somewhere along the way of a young mans life an inexplicable tradgy happened and has now resulted in the murder of several innocent children and adults.Let us not think that the lack of guns in this world would have prevented this because 11 years ago many more lives were lost without a shot being fired when two skyscrapers collapsed. As sad as these tradgedies are thinking that evil will be diminished by making it harder to do something is insanity. Bring the love of Christ and his beliefs and teachings back into society and then we can start to see evil be pushed back into the shadows where it belongs.

• Like 1

My mom, growing up, had a loaded 22 and a loaded shotgun sitting next to the back door all of her life. They were still there when I was little. When Granny moved, she didn't put them back.

But, of all the fighting that my mom and her siblings did - the thought of picking up one of those rifles never crossed their mind. Even to this day - my uncle has a wicked temper and would beat the s*it of out of anyone in a heart beat. But, the thought of shooting someone just isn't there. I've heard tales of the kids fighting like cats and dogs and my granny would suggest squirrel for dinner and my uncle would be running out the door with the 22. (That's why there were two - 22 for squirrel and doves, shotgun for bigger stuff).

We have a pellet rifle in the house -- I prefer my paint ball gun, quite frankly. My dad has a 22 (my son's), a deer rifle, and two shot guns (one non-functioning). Again - the two rifles and shotguns are for different purposes. Dad just got the shotgun because he couldn't kill the ground hogs with the other two.

We are considering a handgun for personal protection. I had intended to wait until both boys are out off the house, but I'm concerned with the potential lack of future availability.

LPPT - I own 9 pairs of shoes. I do have two pairs of hiking boots - one pair for regular wear and one pair for hiking. Otherwise, no duplicates - all neutrals and basics that go with everything.

I may be unusual as far as my guns go, I don't know, but I haven't used a gun to kill anything since I was around 14 or 15 years old and that was with a BB gun.

I shoot at targets and that is all.

I am not a hunter nor do I ever hope to have to defend myself with a gun.

I have one for an emergancy should it ever occur, just as I have a spare tire for the same reason.

I don't think that anyone will come after you and Pubby.....ok, maybe Pubby (JUST KIDDING).

At least I would hope that no one would ever would.

I think that the only time that the thought that I could use these guns to "get even" or "fix that person" or whatever would be when I felt powerless over everything in my life and that I fell there is no hope of that ever changing.

One of the things that helps keep me (us) from getting to that point, besides family and friends, is faith in a power greater than ourselves.

I don't think there is a "one size fits all" answer to these situations, but I do have my opinions on what some of the answers may be, same as everyone else.

The divorced daughter of one of our neighbors has several firearms and goes to the range on a regular basis. Funny story about that but I won't share it on here.

One of my ex-sisters in law and one of my sisters had several firearms while single. In fact, my sister had a permit before permits were cool. She had at least two pistols. One she carried with her everywhere and one in her store. My mom carried for as long as I can remember and did when she was single with 4 kids. In fact, I wanted the revolver she had but my sister was reluctant to remove it from the drawer unless my husband or another male was there to make sure it wasn't loaded. Knowing my mom, it probably was.

It's not unusual at ALL for single women to own firearms.

It is unusual for single mothers to have a collection unless inherited.

I don't understand why it would set off 'red flags' for you that someone legally owns multiple weapons.

My husband is one of the most peaceable big bears on the planet.

I'm not even going to tell you how many guns he has.

Of all types.

He has them because he likes to collect them.

Those and guitars, expensive guitars...and he has 7 of those.

This had nothing to do with the fact that the boy's mother legally owned guns. He was very obviously an evil nutcase.

If he had been unable to get the guns from his mother he would have found another way.

Anyone who wants a weapon can get their hands one, legally or not.

Edited by RhondaW
  • Like 2

So nobody that is reading this has ever thought through the idea of shooting your firearm at a human being.

I must be really weird, I thought about it every time I put it in my purse.

I use to use rats for target practice. Maybe I am a little more violent than you folks.

I found target practice boring, rats were more fun.

I hated the cleaning and futzing with them, I hated worrying about the kids finding it, even though raised with them and having been trained, there is the possibility of instant death wherever there is one,

For a lot of men guns can make them feel like they have a larger penis. So naturally the more you have the bigger, well you know. Same thing for Balls a big gun can make a man with small balls suddenly feel like he has a huge pair.

Other men may drink, buy sports cars or purchase motorcycles with loud mufflers to get the same effect.

Which one is yours? :drinks:

I carried when I was single, a small .22 from the time I was 18, with a permit, until I got my S&W .38 snub nose. In my purse or the car. We have several hand guns, rifles and shotguns. I don't carry any more, but it's real handy. My husband keeps one in the truck all the time.

To me, not strange at all.

So nobody that is reading this has ever thought through the idea of shooting your firearm at a human being.

That's exactly what mine is for. For protection.

I was raised with guns. I learned at an early age you never point a gun unless you intend to kill.

I hope I never have to use it.