Paulding.com
Sign in to follow this  
Beach Bum

What Can We As a Society Do About These Horrible Tragedies?

Their you go trying to put reason into the equation. News said he killed her at home.

Completely understood. But there is USUALLY some link to a person and their actions even if they make zero sense. So was his mother a teacher there or not?

No guns, no shootings.

Yes, but a society with no guns is not going to happen in the U.S. If guns were banned tomorrow, do you think criminals and crazy people would turn in their guns? Should we allow the govt to search every home in the U.S. and take all guns?

No guns, no shootings...yes, a correct statement but also a very silly one.

Completely understood. But there is USUALLY some link to a person and their actions even if they make zero sense. So was his mother a teacher there or not?

I believe she was. You will never know why he went there maybe the voices in his head told him to. Earlier this week I read where a man carved a pentagram into the back of his 5 year old son, try to make sense of that.

I think arming teachers would be a great idea. Not all teachers would need to be armed. Obviously there would be training and certifications before teachers are allowed to carry in a school.

Why do you think these types of things happen at schools so frequently? If you were planning on killing as many people as possible before getting shot yourself, it seems like a place that is pretty much guaranteed to be a gun-free zone would be a good place to start.

I believe she was. You will never know why he went there maybe the voices in his head told him to. Earlier this week I read where a man carved a pentagram into the back of his 5 year old son, try to make sense of that.

And that just puts more emphasis on the "crazy senseless" part.

I think arming teachers would be a great idea. Not all teachers would need to be armed. Obviously there would be training and certifications before teachers are allowed to carry in a school.

Why do you think these types of things happen at schools so frequently? If you were planning on killing as many people as possible before getting shot yourself, it seems like a place that is pretty much guaranteed to be a gun-free zone would be a good place to start.

Do you have any idea how many trained soldiers die of friendly fire ? Do you want a bunch English school teachers shooting it out around your children .

I disagree. The way I see it, teachers as a group would be less likely to employ deadly force even to save the kids. Some might most will not. Most teachers just strike me as the passive type who see lethal force as a really bad thing especially if they have to do it. That just puts weapons out there to be taken by any bad guy that goes in there. I would rather see professional trained armed guards at the school. And what a sad state of affairs to even need to discuss this.

Right over your head. As usual.

They have two rankings, S & D's N! One is the most conservative state in this country, and the other is the poorest state in this country. A bunch of free loaders. drinks.gif

That was in Huston Texas, where the Uneasy Riders were.

Do you have any idea how many trained soldiers die of friendly fire ? Do you want a bunch English school teachers shooting it out around your children .

I would rather have a trained teacher attempting to stop a madman instead of the madman continuing to shoot innocent children without being confronted.

I disagree. The way I see it, teachers as a group would be less likely to employ deadly force even to save the kids. Some might most will not. Most teachers just strike me as the passive type who see lethal force as a really bad thing especially if they have to do it. That just puts weapons out there to be taken by any bad guy that goes in there. I would rather see professional trained armed guards at the school. And what a sad state of affairs to even need to discuss this.

I'm not talking about arming every teacher....only select ones that go through rigorous training. Obviously many aspects of this would have to be worked out (where to store the guns, etc.).

• Like 3

Say what you all may but THIS is just one more reason that I didnt have my son in government school and I am homeschooling my daughter. YES, it can happen anywhere but common sense in government school is GONE. COMPLETELY GONE. I WANT teachers to carry concealed weapons. I WANT more citizens to carry. This country would be a MUCH safer place.

NEVER EVER EVER putting my child in a government school. I didnt attend them one single day and as long as I am breathing, she wont either.

• Like 1

Some dude in China today wounded one adult and 22 schoolchildren with a knife.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...-china-20723910

yep. I carry EVERYWHERE I go except for the places where it is illegal to carry(and even those I WANT to carry). No way I'm going without.

Say what you all may but THIS is just one more reason that I didnt have my son in government school and I am homeschooling my daughter. YES, it can happen anywhere but common sense in government school is GONE. COMPLETELY GONE. I WANT teachers to carry concealed weapons. I WANT more citizens to carry. This country would be a MUCH safer place.

NEVER EVER EVER putting my child in a government school. I didnt attend them one single day and as long as I am breathing, she wont either.

There is no way you have the ability to be competent in the subject materials as a certified teacher. No way. You are short changing your child.

And the idea of arming teachers shows how far crazy American society has become.

Good luck stopping crazy people.

Seriously, good luck.

I'm guessing this is the key to this particular situation. The people who PERHAPS could have stopped it are either dead now or talking to the police. Perhaps they did all they could, and perhaps therapists, et al, did all they could as well. The only thing I can think of to do about crazy is to stay out of its way. And when it comes looking for you, sometimes you just can't. :(

Some dude in China today wounded one adult and 22 schoolchildren with a knife.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...-china-20723910

And had it been a gun the number would have been much higher, would it not? :Let's be reasonable..

Insanity.

There is no way you have the ability to be competent in the subject materials as a certified teacher. No way. You are short changing your child.

And the idea of arming teachers shows how far crazy American society has become.

You obviously have no understanding of true homeschooling. We dont sit in the kitchen and play tiddlywinks. Edited by A Gipper Girl

I can't wait to take out a few conservatives, feelip! tongue.gif

That right there, my dear, is pure loveliness. No, really, it is. I don't even know what to say.

And had it been a gun the number would have been much higher, would it not? :Let's be reasonable..

No idea...depends on the gun, his marksmanship, etc. And obviously he didn't kill them. I only mentioned it due the context of the conversation.

You obviously have no understand of true homeschooling. We dont sit in the kitchen and play tiddlywinks.

And you obviously don't understand that education involves someone who knows the material well enough to explain and spur more mastery of the subject.

Just curious as to what you studied at university so we will know your area of particular training?

The price of a free society is that we accept that crazy people will do some unspeakable things since we don't control all facets of life in our nation. For the rest of America to be free, the crazy people are free too.

AGREED. Well said. Editing to add that I'm ALL FOR this freedom. Yes, we have problems. But I value my freedom more than I fear for my safety.

Edited by mei lan

That right there, my dear, is pure loveliness. No, really, it is. I don't even know what to say.

No idea...depends on the gun, his marksmanship, etc. And obviously he didn't kill them. I only mentioned it due the context of the conversation.

And obviously a reasonable discussion understands that a gun kills more and faster than a man wielding a knife.

Bring back 2 parent households, god in the schools, and quit allowing the media to turn these killers into celebrities.

AGREED. They should be barely mentioned, and in a derrogatory manner at that.

• Like 1

As far as guns, make them all illegal. We see how well making crack and meth illegal has worked. :wacko:

Or guns, for that matter. NYC and Chicago already ban guns, but golly gee, there's still crime there. CT has fairly strict gun laws, and lookee there, today still happened.

And you obviously don't understand that education involves someone who knows the material well enough to explain and spur more mastery of the subject.

Just curious as to what you studied at university so we will know your area of particular training?

See, this is what YOU feel is acceptable. To delve into a private citizens life and try to ban them from being a free person. INDIVIDUAL liberty. Ever heard of it? I have already raised one wonderful young man who is well able and capable of doing whatever he sets out to do and have another coming right behind him.

See, this is what YOU feel is acceptable. To delve into a private citizens life and try to ban them from being a free person. INDIVIDUAL liberty. Ever heard of it? I have already raised one wonderful young man who is well able and capable of doing whatever he sets out to do and have another coming right behind him.

That is not my question. I never said anything about individual liberty or anything about trying to force a private citizen. You said that. Please try to follow along.

I said there is no way one parent can adequately educate a child in the required subject matter because there is no way that parent is adequately knowledgeable to have a mastery of the material. That means the child is not being taught by a trained person in each field and that is short changing the education of the child.

Now please tell us what your field of study was at university so we can ascertain your level of expertise in at least one field.

That is not my question. I never said anything about individual liberty or anything about trying to force a private citizen. You said that. Please try to follow along.

I said there is no way one parent can adequately educate a child in the required subject matter because there is no way that parent is adequately knowledgeable to have a mastery of the material. That means the child is not being taught by a trained person in each field and that is short changing the education of the child.

Now please tell us what your field of study was at university so we can ascertain your level of expertise in at least one field.

Okay...allow me to come down to your level. You are obviously not schooled in this subject.

Homeschoolers do not sit around the family table and draw cartooned pictures all day. It is a co-op. Look it up. My child had ONLY certified teachers who all had degrees in their field. It is called 'homeschool co-op'. I have a very good education as my parents kept us out of government school and sacrified to give us the very best. They spent thousands while they were forced to pay government school taxes as well, which we NEVER used one day of(thank God Almighty).

My brother is a doctor who feels the same way I do about government education. If you have ever had a broken bone in Cobb County, you have most likely been to his practice. He has been there for over 25 years.

I have every right as a parent to educate my children as best I see fit. I have and I will continue. Keeping them out of government school is a primary goal. Government education is the bottom of the barrel, in my opinion. You are welcome to yours! After all, THIS is a free country, for the time being.

All I ask is that people who own guns watch the people around you. If someone you know or love are unstable make sure they don't have access to your guns.If someone gets your guns that blood is also on your hands! So many people ignore mental health and brush it under the table and are ashamed. We need to speak up and be aware of the characteristics of mental disorders, it all truly starts at home.

• Like 1

Ohhh Great and Powerful former member, she who is all seeing and all knowing.

Please tell us oh Great One, what is your educational history.

Please list all of your many academic records so that we; the unwashed, unread, uneducated masses; may marvel at all of your accomplishments.

In other words, list your real name and your educational background with dates for verification or quit asking, over and over, for others to do what you refuse to do.

As we used to say when we were kids, put up or shut up.

Edited by stradial
  • Like 2

All I ask is that people who own guns watch the people around you. If someone you know or love are unstable make sure they don't have access to your guns.If someone gets your guns that blood is also on your hands! So many people ignore mental health and brush it under the table and are ashamed. We need to speak up and be aware of the characteristics of mental disorders, it all truly starts at home.

omg. be aware...be aware....yes. Okay. We get it.

Ohhh Great and Powerful former member, she who is all seeing and all knowing.

Please tell us oh Great One, what is your educational history.

Please list all of your academic records so that we; the unwashed, unread, uneducated masses; may marvel at all of your accomplishments.

In other words, list your real name and your educational background with dates for verification or quit asking, over and over, for others to do what you refuse to do.

As we used to say when we were kids, put up or shut up.

woot.But I have to say that I dont really want her "unwashed" anything. Just sayin'. Edited by A Gipper Girl

We are desensitized to violence. If you watch enough movies, games, tv shows that glorify the taking of human life then you become immune to the emotions. Mentally stable people can process that and separate reality from fiction, but who is there for the mentally unstable?

There is nothing bad about attending public schools. I went to public school and got a great education. Hiding our kids at home does not prepare them for the world they have to live in. You cant legislate crazy. You remove moral values from a society you will get a place that is scary and deadly.

Okay...allow me to come down to your level. You are obviously not schooled in this subject.

Homeschoolers do not sit around the family table and draw cartooned pictures all day. It is a co-op. Look it up. My child had ONLY certified teachers who all had degrees in their field. It is called 'homeschool co-op'. I have a very good education as my parents kept us out of government school and sacrified to give us the very best. They spent thousands while they were forced to pay government school taxes as well, which we NEVER used one day of(thank God Almighty).

My brother is a doctor who feels the same way I do about government education. If you have ever had a broken bone in Cobb County, you have most likely been to his practice. He has been there for over 25 years.

I have every right as a parent to educate my children as best I see fit. I have and I will continue. Keeping them out of government school is a primary goal. Government education is the bottom of the barrel, in my opinion. You are welcome to yours! After all, THIS is a free country, for the time being.

How dare you dispute former member's response? Don't you know she is always right? :wacko:

• Like 1

Guest Inspector Callahan

Yes, but a society with no guns is not going to happen in the U.S. If guns were banned tomorrow, do you think criminals and crazy people would turn in their guns? Should we allow the govt to search every home in the U.S. and take all guns?

No guns, no shootings...yes, a correct statement but also a very silly one.

You had better be careful. TP may be coming for you.

Better not ever let them drive a car, go to the movies, or breathe air.

I would rather have a trained teacher attempting to stop a madman instead of the madman continuing to shoot innocent children without being confronted.

I'm not talking about arming every teacher....only select ones that go through rigorous training. Obviously many aspects of this would have to be worked out (where to store the guns, etc.).

Every high school in the county has a ROTC program. Why not put them in the front of the building, arm them, and hang a sign "this school is protected by US army"!

Edited by overit

We are desensitized to violence. If you watch enough movies, games, tv shows that glorify the taking of human life then you become immune to the emotions. Mentally stable people can process that and separate reality from fiction, but who is there for the mentally unstable?

There is nothing bad about attending public schools. I went to public school and got a great education. Hiding our kids at home does not prepare them for the world they have to live in. You cant legislate crazy. You remove moral values from a society you will get a place that is scary and deadly.

^^This

• Like 2

There seems to be no discipline or accountability for anything kids do these days. I am afraid that this kind of thing will continue until our society stops focusing so much on self esteem and feelings and gets back to teaching respect, character and discipline. I read that the guns used were legally purchased and registered by the shooters parents. I don't understand that either. I am not anti-gun but I do believe that assault weapons are not something that should be so easily available. I don't want to seem as if I am blaming the victim since his mother is one of the dead, but I don't understand her buying weapons of this type.

It is a little concerning to me that I have heard the words autism and aspergers to describe the shooter also. He obviously was not mentally complete but autism is not a mental disorder. I don't want the public to believe that autism would cause someont to do this sort of thing.

Not to mention our love of guns.

Not to mention our love of guns.

I love my gun. It is the only reason I am still alive. And the guy that shot me was not allowed to buy weapons either. To him there was already a total gun ban. When guns are banned, only criminals will have guns is a very true statement.

• Like 2

I love my gun. It is the only reason I am still alive. And the guy that shot me was not allowed to buy weapons either. To him there was already a total gun ban. When guns are banned, only criminals will have guns is a very true statement.

True, but you can't have it both ways.

guncontrol1.jpg

You could take a car and kill more people in the same length of time than you could with a gun. Are we going to outlaw cars?

Society, not guns, is the problem.

We've raised an entire generation of young people who have less morals, who are less sensitized to right and wrong, than ever before in history.

Just look at the violence that our young people are exposed to on a daily basis - violent video games, violence on TV...

Just look at how true social interaction of our youth has been decreased lately with them using phones for texting instead of verbally communicating.

This just makes them more and more disconnected with the people around them, they build their own little worlds, and these people around them become nothing closer than any other video game objects...

• Like 1