Paulding.com

Renaming White Oak Park?

This goes before the commissioners to vote on this morning.

Why would the county waste time and money (if it passes) to rename a park?

If they have the money to rename, couldn't the monies be spent elsewhere? Or, is the county budget doing so well, we can afford to do this?

Are they (commissioners) low on things to vote on and take care of?

Just asking. :pardon:

This goes before the commissioners to vote on this morning.

Why would the county waste time and money (if it passes) to rename a park?

If they have the money to rename, couldn't the monies be spent elsewhere? Or, is the county budget doing so well, we can afford to do this?

Are they (commissioners) low on things to vote on and take care of?

Just asking. :pardon:

how much will it cost to rename the park?

I would think a lot. Not tons, but a good price.

Why rename it? I like the name and find it stupid. Ragsdale is already enough places.

http://dallas-hiram.patch.com/articles/park-could-be-renamed-after-commissioner

One of Paulding County’s parks could soon be renamed if commissioners approve a resolution slated to come before them Tuesday.

The agenda for Tuesday’s 10 a.m. work session of the Paulding County Board of Commissioners include a resolution that, if approved, would rename White Oak Park in honor of Commissioner Larry Ragsdale, who serves Post 1 where the park is located.

Should commissioners pass the measure, Ragsdale would witness the approval at what will likely be his last meeting, as the board is scheduled to meet only once this month and Ragsdale’s term as commissioner is ending. Earlier this year, Ragsdale sought re-election as he qualified for his seat but dropped his bid right before the qualifying period ended and after two others had qualified.

Next month, David Carmichael will officially step in as Ragsdale’s successor. Carmichael won his Republican primary in July and faced no opposition for the seat in November’s general election.

Commissioners are set to discuss the park renaming resolution at Tuesday morning’s work session. They could vote on the measure during their 2 p.m. business session.

Other items on the commissioners’ agenda include:

•Discuss action to adopt Resolution 12-46 approving an energy excise tax intergovernmental agreement with the cities of Dallas and Hiram regarding the allocation and distribution of proceeds from the energy excise tax and authorizing Commission Chairman David Austin to execute the same.

•Discuss action to adopt Resolution 12-47 imposing an energy excise tax upon the sale, use, storage or consumption of energy used in the manufacturing of tangible personal property, to be phased in over the next four years as it is phased out by the State of Georgia.

•Discuss action to enter into an engineering services agreement with Arcadis U.S. Inc. for preliminary engineering of the Richland Creek Reservoir Project at a cost of $1,526,465.

•Discuss action to adopt Resolution 12-44 creating the Department of Government Services and approving the job description for the department director.

•Discuss action to adopt Resolution 12-45 amending Section 6-33, 6-90, and 6-151 of the official Code of Paulding County regarding alcoholic beverages and revising the alcoholic beverage license and permit fee schedule.

The complete agenda is attached to this article in PDF form.

Edited by CarolineElizabeth

I don't know, but there are cost for new signs and labor to install, printing cost for the paperwork that has to be redone, labor cost for the time for all who have to do and make sure these things get done.

The park won't be 'really' renamed, it was said at the meeting ... it will still be White Oak Park.

What did come out was the role that Larry Ragsdale played in moving the John Bleakley property from a rezoning as a subdivision with attendant issues of getting sewerage to the site, etc. to one where the county came in and purchased the property which has become the county's most used public place.

Notably, today was also Ragsdale's last commission meeting.

They did do a street sign that will be put up at the park that has his name on it along with White Oak Park. It will probably designate the main road that runs through the park, acknowledge his contribution and do so at minimal expense.

pubby

Seriously, I personally feel that this is the most stupidist thing they have brought up yet. Now, I don't know Larry Ragsdale and with all respect to him but to name another thing Ragsdale is over the top. We already have Ragsdale Elementary and thats enough, not to mention Maude Ragsdale Library Jeeze...

Edited by cheryl37

Seriously, I personally feel that this is the most stupidist thing they have brought up yet. Now, I don't know Larry Ragsdale and with all respect to him but to name another thing Ragsdale is over the top. We already have Ragsdale Elementary and thats enough, not to mention Maude Ragsdale Library Jeeze...

They are talking about changing Hiram to Rag's Dale.

My opinion.

Renaming any street, park, bridge or any other public place thàt is already signed is a terrible waste of tax paper dollars.

I suggest any proposed renaming be paid for with private funding that also includes reimbusement to citizens for any expenses they will incur as a result of the proposed renaming.

Seems to me we have 2) projects underway where honoring public figures would not cost any extra tax payer dollars... Seven Hills Road to 92 and East Hiram Parkway.

• Like 1

I wish they'd spend a little less time patting themselves on the back and naming stuff after themselves and their buddies and a little more time on focusing on the real issues facing the county.

Like what? Name some issues that need to be addressed.

Larry Ragsdale (commissioner) and Sara M. Ragsdale (the teacher) are not related.

It will always be White Oak to us, no matter what the sign says.

We're disc golfers....little known fact: White Oak is one of the top disc golf courses in the country. It's got a high difficulty rating and is a top draw for disc golfers to our area.

So we can expect a large influx of pot smoking hippies?

really wish there were more accessable bathroms, other than the one at the top of the hill...can't walk kids up the road to it; have to drive..too dangerous with so many cars. The shelter is usually locked for public bathroom use or if a group is there, they glare and say they rented the shelter AND bathroom.

Like what? Name some issues that need to be addressed.

Larry Ragsdale (commissioner) and Sara M. Ragsdale (the teacher) are not related.

[/quote

I dont recall ever stating that there was any relation and really dont care. Still dont need another Ragsdales name replacing anything. Reread the post. Never mentioned any relation.