Paulding.com

Scientist Discover

Scientist may have discovered why cat people are so strange.wacko.gif

Scientists Discover How Toxoplasma From Cats Affects Your Brain

"People become infected with Toxoplasma gondii by the spores that proliferate in cat litter or in soil where cats have been.

The immune system of most people stops the parasite from making them sick. Once it enters the brain of fetuses or people with compromised immune systems, however, it can kill. As a result, pregnant women should not touch cat litter boxes.

Prior research has noted the increased incidence of toxoplasmosis in individuals with mental disorders like schizophrenia, depression, and anxiety. The Swedish researchers found that once the parasite reaches the brain, it takes over one of the neurotransmitters, chemical messengers that transport signals to portions of the brain."

http://news.yahoo.co...-231000778.html

Edited by CitizenCain

As long as you wash your hands after scooping (and don't eat the contents of the litterbox), there isn't much risk of contracting toxo.

When I got pregnant the first time, I had been working at a vet clinic, not only in the office but often scooping and cleaning litterboxes, six days a week for 3-4 years. I also had 13 cats at home. The OB tested me for toxo assuming I would be positive, and the results showed no recent exposure nor any long-term exposure. I have always been fastidious about washing my hands, and wearing gloves at work. As long as you use common sense and clean up, you can scoop the boxes and not get infected. If your cats go outside the risk of them carrying the parasite is greater, as they probably eat rodents. Even then, just wash your hands and don't eat feces; it's simple.

Sorry, it's one of my soapboxes. It burns me up when women get rid of their cats because they got pregnant. They must think vets don't reproduce.

As long as you wash your hands after scooping (and don't eat the contents of the litterbox), there isn't much risk of contracting toxo.

When I got pregnant the first time, I had been working at a vet clinic, not only in the office but often scooping and cleaning litterboxes, six days a week for 3-4 years. I also had 13 cats at home. The OB tested me for toxo assuming I would be positive, and the results showed no recent exposure nor any long-term exposure. I have always been fastidious about washing my hands, and wearing gloves at work. As long as you use common sense and clean up, you can scoop the boxes and not get infected. If your cats go outside the risk of them carrying the parasite is greater, as they probably eat rodents. Even then, just wash your hands and don't eat feces; it's simple.

Sorry, it's one of my soapboxes. It burns me up when women get rid of their cats because they got pregnant. They must think vets don't reproduce.

Sorry but you lost me at 13 cats. shok.gif

• Like 2

Asking a little too much there, ain't ya.

Sorry but you lost me at 13 cats. shok.gif

Yeah, I worked at a cat-only vet clinic and sort of got caught up in the moment a few too many times. Now we're down to the Final Four, and no plans to add any more. :-)

Asking a little too much there, ain't ya.

Well, one would hope common sense would rule, as well as good taste, lol. :-) But seriously, if being blunt helps people remember to wash their hands, then it works.

Ceiling Fan (and I do love that screen name), thanks for sharing! I had oft wondered about this, but had never heard anyone say anything who had direct experience. We do love our animules! :)

stradial - Honey, you go right on ahead eating the litter box contents. I'm sure she didn't mean to deprive you of your fun. ;)