Paulding.com

Just Two Words!

And when did the big red sign with the letters STOP change to mean

give a quick toe tap on the brakes and proceed rapidly through the intersection ? :wacko:

That reminds me of the story of the yankee fellow who was driving though south AL.

He was out in the country and there was nothing around but fields and farms.

He came up to a cross road with stop sign on his side of the road.

Being that the man could see a long way down on either side of the crossing road and see that there were no cars in sight the man slowed down but did not stop.

After he ran through the intersection he heard a siren and looked in his mirror, sure enough there was an AL state trooper right behind him.

The man pulled over and the trooper came up to car and asked the man why didn't he stop at the stop sign.

The man replied that he could see that there were not any cars on the crossing street and that he had slowed down and that since a stop sign was meant to prevent an accident and since the man had slowed down to make sure no cars were coming he had acted responcably.

The trooper said that the sign said stop not slow down.

The man again repeated that he had slowed down and had checked to make sure no cars were coming and that what he had done did follow the intent of the stop sign which was to prevent an accident.

The trooper again stated that the sign said stop and again the yankee stated his case that slowing down and seeing it was safe was the same.

This went on a few more times then the trooper made the man get out of his car.

The trooper then took out his nightstick and just started whaling away on the man.

Just whacking him all over his head and body at at fast rate.

While he was doing this the trooper asked; Now, do you want me to just slow down or do you want me to stop?

• Like 1

That reminds me of the story of the yankee fellow who was driving though south AL.

He was out in the country and there was nothing around but fields and farms.

He came up to a cross road with stop sign on his side of the road.

Being that the man could see a long way down on either side of the crossing road and see that there were no cars in sight the man slowed down but did not stop.

After he ran through the intersection he heard a siren and looked in his mirror, sure enough there was an AL state trooper right behind him.

The man pulled over and the trooper came up to car and asked the man why didn't he stop at the stop sign.

The man replied that he could see that there were not any cars on the crossing street and that he had slowed down and that since a stop sign was meant to prevent an accident and since the man had slowed down to make sure no cars were coming he had acted responcably.

The trooper said that the sign said stop not slow down.

The man again repeated that he had slowed down and had checked to make sure no cars were coming and that what he had done did follow the intent of the stop sign which was to prevent an accident.

The trooper again stated that the sign said stop and again the yankee stated his case that slowing down and seeing it was safe was the same.

This went on a few more times then the trooper made the man get out of his car.

The trooper then took out his nightstick and just started whaling away on the man.

:rofl:

Just whacking him all over his head and body at at fast rate.

While he was doing this the trooper asked; Now, do you want me to just slow down or do you want me to stop?

It appears to me that the blinker on most cars are broken.

There can't be that many stupid people out there can there?

Ohhh...wait...never mind.

Not so much stupid as selfish, careless of others, and well....I guess stupid could be a fitting word now that I think about it. :lol: I'm a blinker-maniac...it's just a habit to use them ALWAYS. I'll never understand why so many drivers are oblivious as how how important and courteous they are to those on the road around them.

Yes, use your blinker before you turn and change lanes. Apparently it's so rare that people use their blinker and look before they change lanes that I got blared at. I turned my blinker on (it's supposed to signal a desire to plan to move) and the car next to me starts laying on their horn before I could even check my mirrors and over my shoulder--and I hadn't moved!

Just curious--when the car in front of you is slowing down to make a right-hand turn (another rarity), do you slow down also or pass them even if you're going into the oncoming traffic lane? I'm a native Georgian and I was taught that you slow down, let them turn out of the way, then get back up to speed. I was riding with someone from upstate NY and she said they were taught to just go around them. I was wondering what you were taught and what you actually do.

Yes, use your blinker before you turn and change lanes. Apparently it's so rare that people use their blinker and look before they change lanes that I got blared at. I turned my blinker on (it's supposed to signal a desire to plan to move) and the car next to me starts laying on their horn before I could even check my mirrors and over my shoulder--and I hadn't moved!

Just curious--when the car in front of you is slowing down to make a right-hand turn (another rarity), do you slow down also or pass them even if you're going into the oncoming traffic lane? I'm a native Georgian and I was taught that you slow down, let them turn out of the way, then get back up to speed. I was riding with someone from upstate NY and she said they were taught to just go around them. I was wondering what you were taught and what you actually do.

I was taught to slow down and wait for them to turn and that's what I actually do, unless I have the right of way to pass and nothing is coming then, I pass them.

I never pass, unless there is a left hand lane going my way.

I learned this back when I was 19 and I passed the person who had their right turn signal on and they turned left into my car.

I have an issue of my own with turn signals. My motorcycle requires me to manuaally disengage them. Since it is not my primary means of transportation, I tend to be slow in doing that. Especially when trying to me rge into faster traffic which requires more clutch use. My apologies in advance. And yes, since my wife's car is in the shop following my son's tantrum, I do have to ride it while she drives my truck. Yesterday was rather wet, today was fracking cold as will be tomorrow morning.

I have an issue of my own with turn signals. My motorcycle requires me to manuaally disengage them. Since it is not my primary means of transportation, I tend to be slow in doing that. Especially when trying to me rge into faster traffic which requires more clutch use. My apologies in advance. And yes, since my wife's car is in the shop following my son's tantrum, I do have to ride it while she drives my truck. Yesterday was rather wet, today was fracking cold as will be tomorrow morning.

No clue if this is true or not, but someone told me once, maybe the same gal who wasn't required to use signals in Cartersville, that if your bike had signals that they had to work, but if you had none at all, it was OK. Is that true?

No clue if this is true or not, but someone told me once, maybe the same gal who wasn't required to use signals in Cartersville, that if your bike had signals that they had to work, but if you had none at all, it was OK. Is that true?

Nope. Ga law says all vehicles have to have them except bicycles. And you have to use hand signals on those when on the road.

I use turn signals even when there is no one around! Just trained myself to always use them so I don't have to worry that I didn't.

One of my pet peeve traffic offenses is when people drive over a white painted gore area, particularly to make a right turn further up the road. It is put there in place of a concrete barrier but is supposed to have the same effect. Today while sitting on Hwy. 92 in front of Stars and Strikes I saw a large truck, a pickup truck, and a white SUV pull into the right turn lane way before the entrance to S&S, drive over the white pained lines, and continue on down to Marietta Hwy. to make a right turn. Well, a Paulding Sheriff saw the last one do it and went after her. He pulled over the lady in the white SUV and I assume wrote a ticket or a warning. While this was happening I sat in a line of traffic in the center lane until I passed that white painted gore area and then got over to make a right turn on to Marietta Hwy. While I'm sorry someone may have gotten a pricey ticket, I was glad to see someone actually stopped for it.

slow up!

I use turn signals even when there is no one around! Just trained myself to always use them so I don't have to worry that I didn't.

One of my pet peeve traffic offenses is when people drive over a white painted gore area, particularly to make a right turn further up the road. It is put there in place of a concrete barrier but is supposed to have the same effect. Today while sitting on Hwy. 92 in front of Stars and Strikes I saw a large truck, a pickup truck, and a white SUV pull into the right turn lane way before the entrance to S&S, drive over the white pained lines, and continue on down to Marietta Hwy. to make a right turn. Well, a Paulding Sheriff saw the last one do it and went after her. He pulled over the lady in the white SUV and I assume wrote a ticket or a warning. While this was happening I sat in a line of traffic in the center lane until I passed that white painted gore area and then got over to make a right turn on to Marietta Hwy. While I'm sorry someone may have gotten a pricey ticket, I was glad to see someone actually stopped for it.

I have had just one ticket in the past 20 years and it was a gore ticket! I didn't even know what a gore was. LOL but I do now.

I was behind a van yesterday who only had two tiny orange lights 'working' in back. No brake lights or turn signals. When she put on the brakes, both orange lights went off and there was nothing. When she turned on her right signal, the left orange light went out and there was nothing other than the tiny orange light on the right. Needless to say, I stayed far away from her because it was hard to tell when was stopping and then going.

I was behind a van yesterday who only had two tiny orange lights 'working' in back. No brake lights or turn signals. When she put on the brakes, both orange lights went off and there was nothing. When she turned on her right signal, the left orange light went out and there was nothing other than the tiny orange light on the right. Needless to say, I stayed far away from her because it was hard to tell when was stopping and then going.

I hate when the brakelights get screwed up and the backup lights come on w hen they apply brakes

I was taught to slow down and wait for them to turn and that's what I actually do, unless I have the right of way to pass and nothing is coming then, I pass them.

Off course you wait for them. I remember being a stupid 16 yr old and trying to go around and only by the grace of God am I still her to say this. :wacko:

:blink:

Let me just add this- I had to drive to Alpharetta today for a gig and the next two upcoming days. Most drivers are IDIOTS!!! This is why I almost never leave the county. The guy who got me the gig said, "easy money for only 1.5 hours of playing, huh?"...I replied, given the drive, time it took, and dodging morons for almost 2 hours, I would rather stay home or get paid at least 3 times as much!!"

You should use their turn signals to indicate your intend however it does not give you the right of way.

Can't tell you how many times I see someone turn on their signal only to just cut in front of another car as if their signal suddenly gives them the right of way.