Paulding.com

Calling all good cooks!

New Georgia Public Library is going to have a COOKBOOK! When we get it published we will sell it for a fundraiser for the library. Would you like to see your very own recipe in our book?! We need at LEAST 200 recipes for our book. Each person can put up to four recipes. To submit your recipe go to www.typensave.com Username is: New Georgia Library, Password is: pudding178. THANKS!

Do you make great chili? Do you make wonderful egg-salad? Whatever your special dish is we would LOVE to have it in our cookbook!!! Just think! That book will be around for years and so many people could keep your "cooking legacy" alive for the future. Please add a recipe to our book!!!!!!!!

I will add some but will need to give it some thought to narrow it down to the 4 best. Yeah, I am a good Southern cook. ;)

I LOVE these type cookbooks, too. When I worked for DHR in Alabama we did one and a co-worker and I were in charge of putting it together. It was fun reading everyone's recipes but was hard to narrow it down to the best recipes and what would appeal to everyone. I continue to use it ALL the time and this was back in 1992!!

I will add at least 1 but let me get through this last week of school.

SOUTHERN BAKED POSSUM (OPPOSSUM) WITH

SWEET TATERS 1 fat possum

Salt & pepper

2 cloves garlic

2 c. water

5 strips bacon

2 lg. onions

1 tbsp. celery leaves

1 lg. can mushrooms

5 lg. sweet taters, cut in halves

3 tbsp. lard

1 tbsp. chopped parsley

Nail head of possum to a board, just a little larger than the possum. Skin it. Make paste of lard, salt, pepper and rub over entire possum. Fill cavity with onions, garlic, chopped parsley and celery leaves. Place possum and board on rack in roasting pan. Lay 5 strips of bacon across breast. Add water and mushrooms. Add water as needed. Surround the possum with sweet taters. Leave uncovered.Bake in oven (300 to 350 degrees) until tender. Baste every 15 minutes. To determine when done, pull leg away from body. When done, throw away the possum and taters and eat the board.

• 1 month later...

Sorry, but the site seems to be a pain to navigate.

Here is my recipe for Brunswick Stew from Thad Morrison III:

Yield of about 2 gallons

4 Pounds of Roasted or smoked beef [brisket,chuck, shoulder, round, etc.]

2 Pounds of Roasted or smoked pork [boston butt, picnic,fresh ham, etc]

1 5-6 pound hen, or 2 3+ pound Broiler chickens

2 16oz cans of tomatoes

4 Medium Onions [not vidalias]

½ CupCider Vinegar

2 Lemons, squeezed with rinds

1 16oz can Creamed Corn

4 Slices of white toast, crumbs

1 Cup of Catsup

Salt, Black Pepper, and Hot Sauceto taste [and/or Cumin, red pepper, etc.]

For basic stock:

2 Carrots chopped

2 stalks celery chopped

1 medium onion chopped

1 bunch flat leaf parsley chopped fine, stems andleaves

5 cloves garlic crushed

2 Tablespoons olive oil

3 Quarts of water

Add oil, chopped carrot, celery, onion and garlic to largestock pot and brown for several minutes. Add water and chickens, and bring to aboil. Reduce to simmer and skim off the foam. Add parsley and any other herbsor seasonings desired. Allow to simmer, uncovered 3 to 6 hours, or over nighton low heat.

Add water back to original fill line as necessary.

Remove Chickens and allow to cool.

Strain broth and discard veggies and bones. Retain broth.

Grind beef, pork, and chicken in a food processor in batches“rough” [don’t grind to a paste…..try to just reduce chunks to a shreddedconsistency.]

Process tomatoes and onion as well.

Add vinegar, tomatoes, onion, and meats to reserved stockand bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and allow to cook for 2+ hours.

Add catsup, corn, lemon juice with rinds, bread crumbs, andseasonings. Cook for an additional hour being VERY careful to stir and notallow mixture to stick to the bottom of the pot.

Notes: Fresh tomatoes can be substituted for canned. Turkey, duck,and other meats can be substituted for any of the meats. Stick with lean cuts, or roast/smoke in sucha way as to render the majority of the fat from the meats.

SOUTHERN BAKED POSSUM (OPPOSSUM) WITH

SWEET TATERS 1 fat possum

Salt & pepper

2 cloves garlic

2 c. water

5 strips bacon

2 lg. onions

1 tbsp. celery leaves

1 lg. can mushrooms

5 lg. sweet taters, cut in halves

3 tbsp. lard

1 tbsp. chopped parsley

Nail head of possum to a board, just a little larger than the possum. Skin it. Make paste of lard, salt, pepper and rub over entire possum. Fill cavity with onions, garlic, chopped parsley and celery leaves. Place possum and board on rack in roasting pan. Lay 5 strips of bacon across breast. Add water and mushrooms. Add water as needed. Surround the possum with sweet taters. Leave uncovered.Bake in oven (300 to 350 degrees) until tender. Baste every 15 minutes. To determine when done, pull leg away from body. When done, throw away the possum and taters and eat the board.

I have a similar recipe for cedar (or pine) plank carp.