Paulding.com

charter school admendment

I'm voting YES for the amendment.

Give people a chance for a better education for their children.

Give them a choice.

The liberals are against it.

I'm going to disagree with you on this one.

The links I gave are from very conservative people, not liberals.

People already have a choice with private schools and even charter schools under local control.

The Amendment is not about choice but about corporations getting at the public tax money. The consequence is an eventual two-tiered educational system that will segregate based on economics and color, and will create a permanent, segregated system. This is a Pandora's Box that, once opened, cannot be undone.

• Like 2

Bottom line is they will be using money that is used for public education NOW and "give " it to the charter schools. Public schools have already been cut ENOUGH. Also many of these charter schools have application processes you have to go through in order to attend. And they don't put up with behavior problems.Parents are also required to volunteer so many hours. That's really a good idea but not feasible for everyone. Therefore you end up many times with a hand picked school!! And then you are going to use tax payers $$ to fund such a place!!! No wonder many charter schools have good test scores) In essence it's like going to private school for free! And I haven't even mentioned the fact that some charter schools are run by a private company whose goal is to make a profit. So you decide.....what is best for ALL the children of GA!! I'm sure you know what I am answering on my ballot!

• Like 2

I'm voting YES for the amendment.

Give people a chance for a better education for their children.

Give them a choice.

The liberals are against it.

By voting YES you are not necessarily giving people more choices. (That's what they want you to BELIEVE) In some cases you are giving yourself a worse education by taking money away from what you have now. I believe we are hurting ourselves in the long run by going YES! But hey we live in America where you can vote how you want.........for now!

• Like 1

Skip out to page 7 of threads, and find former member's thread titled "Charter Schools - Follow the Money" .

This aught to give you an idea of the rancor and vitriol which has already occurred on the subject here. Read it all over and do your own research about relative costs of the options, and the requirements placed on, and by Charter schools. Pay particular attention to funding of schools by Local, state and Federal taxes, as to which schools get which, and where the surplus Local taxes go.

I begrudgingly favor the amendment, which should bring a tirade from former member!

Good Luck!!!!!

• Like 3

Skip out to page 7 of threads, and find former member's thread titled "Charter Schools - Follow the Money" .

This aught to give you an idea of the rancor and vitriol which has already occurred on the subject here. Read it all over and do your own research about relative costs of the options, and the requirements placed on, and by Charter schools. Pay particular attention to funding of schools by Local, state and Federal taxes, as to which schools get which, and where the surplus Local taxes go.

I begrudgingly favor the amendment, which should bring a tirade from former member!

Good Luck!!!!!

No tirade. I just strongly disagree with the amendment because of what it does. It is being advanced by corporations who are spending a whole lot of money to get this thing passed. Follow the money. Corporations or kids.

Does anyone know anything about this admendment on charter schools??

I'm still on the fence, but one of the requirements is that parents must be involved is a big selling point for me.

Before anyone starts with the "single parent, or both parents working" garbage, get over it. My mother was a single mom, and made it to all of mine, and sister's activities. My husband, and I both worked when our oldest kids were in school, somehow we were always able to be involved with their stuff too. I know a few single parents, and married/cohabiting couples, they always seem to be involved.

Oh, and throwing money at our public schools works, so well.

When folks stop making these "disadvantaged" kids feel like victims, and stop giving the parents/guardians excuses then maybe, just maybe our schools will improve.

• Like 4

I'm still on the fence, but one of the requirements is that parents must be involved is a big selling point for me.

Before anyone starts with the "single parent, or both parents working" garbage, get over it. My mother was a single mom, and made it to all of mine, and sister's activities. My husband, and I both worked when our oldest kids were in school, somehow we were always able to be involved with their stuff too. I know a few single parents, and married/cohabiting couples, they always seem to be involved.

Oh, and throwing money at our public schools works, so well.

When folks stop making these "disadvantaged" kids feel like victims, and stop giving the parents/guardians excuses then maybe, just maybe our schools will improve.

I'm not trying to argue with you, but you've just made the case for voting NO.

The kids that will do well in charter schools will do well in public schools or even private schools. Why? Because of parental involvement. The ones that don't do well are the kids with uninvolved parents, low socio-economic demographics, and lower-educated parents. Since charter schools can kick students out of lack of parental involvement or student problems, we end up with a segregated school system, with the best students in their own school and the "problem kids" in their public school, with less money and more problems.

The result is segregation based on class, wealth, and demographics. That creates a permanent lower class with few prospects for jobs or social advancement, and that in turn hurts all of our society.

You've just made the case for why we should vote No.

Edited by zoocrew
  • Like 1

The kids that will do well in charter schools will do well in public schools or even private schools. Why? Because of parental involvement. The ones that don't do well are the kids with uninvolved parents, low socio-economic demographics, and lower-educated parents. Since charter schools can kick students out of lack of parental involvement or student problems, we end up with a segregated school system, with the best students in their own school and the "problem kids" in their public school, with less money and more problems.

The result is segregation based on class, wealth, and demographics. That creates a permanent lower class with few prospects for jobs or social advancement, and that in turn hurts all of our society.

I know this. We better check if hell is freezing over, I'm agreeing with you. :rofl:

I do understand all that you stated. However my first concern is for my own child, and grandchildren. For us, this may be a great alternative. I also have a problem with an appointed group of people deciding these things.

But, I also don't think we need to throw more money at the schools, hoping that will make them better.

I know this. We better check if hell is freezing over, I'm agreeing with you. :rofl:

I do understand all that you stated. However my first concern is for my own child, and grandchildren. For us, this may be a great alternative. I also have a problem with an appointed group of people deciding these things.

But, I also don't think we need to throw more money at the schools, hoping that will make them better.

Then private school is the option. Let's not jeopardize our entire society over the funding.

Not factual in practice. Of my two children, one barely graduated from high school, and has not been able stay in college. The other graduated with honors, and is one semester from being a particle physicist! Same parents and socioeconomic environment, same high school. That dog won't hunt!!!! We already have a charter school in Paulding county, as I understand, and they deal with nothing but "problem kids" , it's called "Alternative School".

Not factual in practice. Of my two children, one barely graduated from high school, and has not been able stay in college. The other graduated with honors, and is one semester from being a particle physicist! Same parents and socioeconomic environment, same high school. That dog won't hunt!!!! We already have a charter school in Paulding county, as I understand, and they deal with nothing but "problem kids" , it's called "Alternative School".

We no longer have an alternative school.

The students are no assigned to the Ombudsman school.

And my point is proven. Those students are, by and large, the "problem students" who don't finish school, are always in trouble and have little parental support. Are there exceptions? Sure. But the majority? No. The point is proven.

Edited by zoocrew

I would like to know HOW the state could even recommend to support charter schools when all of their own public schools they can't seem to give any money to improve them? When you can't support your own schools and provide for classrooms, and keep them overcrowded with 35 to 1 teacher because of costs, how in the world can you give to another type of school from the same funds? Who are you taking away from? Are the states going to raise taxes to fund this?

Vote NO to this unthought through proposal.

• Like 1

The reason for Charter schools IS so parents can have choices.

Right now there are kids who do well in school with supportive parents but could do even better if they were allowed to go to a school that gave them a more rigerous,disciplined and fullfilling educational experience.

Many of those kids are held back intellectually because they are stuck in their public school that is afraid to have failing students and therefore keeps everyone down so as not to hurt the feelings of kids who just cant cut it. Those kids are not allowed to reach their full potential because we as a society dont want to admit that there is a such thing as bad kids and we are not all equal.

Go to any school and witness the lack of discipline in the halls. Kids being late to class, failing to follow the dress code, the disrespect in which they talk to the teachers, the unfilitered use of profane language and sexual behavior. It is disgusting.

Do some kids achieve in this enviroment regadless? Well yes but does that mean they cant do better or more cant share in that achievement? Of course not!

Parents who have students that are high achievers and who are willing to be there for their kids in all things deserve choices. Charter schools offer those choices.

As for taking money from the other public schools. Hogwash. The money that would have been spent for the student in a public school will now be sent to the charter school. If you break down the budget it will give you how much money is spent per student now. That will not change with a charter school. Do we complain that money is being taken away from schools when we open a new public school. No! Same concept. The money is the same just divided differently.

Parents who cannot afford to send their kids to a private school but can offer all other means of support deserve to spend their childs portion of the education budget where ever they believe their child will get the best education and I'm sorry but the public schools do not always do that.

And who cares if it is for profit or a money grab for corporations. The thing about corporations is they are committed to turning out a better product so if the charter school fails no one will chose to go. They have every reason to ensure it is a success. Can the same be said about our public schools? What happens if a public school fails to produce? We try to figure out new ways to educate, ideas like Charter schools.

Edited by tiredofit
  • Like 6

With the liberal accusations coming out, I'd just like to point out that a guy up the road has a Romney/Ryan sign and, right beside it, a vote No to the amendment sign.

As with many things, you have to ask yourself if it passes the smell test. My question was answered by a mailer I got last week from the pro amendment folks. My son is a junior in high school so he gets all kinds of crap from different colleges. Last week there was one from GeorgiaHope. I was sure to set this one aside on my desk assuming it contained Hope Scholarship information. Then I decided to open it. It had NOTHING to do with the Hope Scholarship program and everything to do with this amendment. I can only believe it was no accident that they were trying to tie in Hope with an education amendment, trying to make folks believe that voting "no" would be a vote against the Hope Scholarship. That's shady as all hell and tells me that this amendment isn't strong enough to survive without muddying the waters.

Vote NO!

mrnn

• Like 2

Right now there are kids who do well in school with supportive parents but could do even better if they were allowed to go to a school that gave them a more rigorous,disciplined and fulfilling educational experience.

Many of those kids are held back intellectually because they are stuck in their public school that is afraid to have failing students and therefore keeps everyone down so as not to hurt the feelings of kids who just cant cut it. Those kids are not allowed to reach their full potential because we as a society dont want to admit that there is a such thing as bad kids and we are not all equal.

And, that is the rub for many on this board. The fact that one size does NOT fit all is a problem for them. Why should we have to set up a seprate program? Why is the bar set to the lowest common denominator? How many "avarage" students would actually be "gifted" if pushed? The problem is with the education of our kids, the time window closes very quickly. My kid can't wait, my grandson can't wait.

Go to any school and witness the lack of discipline in the halls. Kids being late to class, failing to follow the dress code, the disrespect in which they talk to the teachers, the unfiltered use of profane language and sexual behavior. It is disgusting.

Do some kids achieve in this environment regardless? Well yes but does that mean they cant do better or more cant share in that achievement? Of course not!

Parents who have students that are high achievers and who are willing to be there for their kids in all things deserve choices. Charter schools offer those choices.

As for taking money from the other public schools. Hogwash. The money that would have been spent for the student in a public school will now be sent to the charter school. If you break down the budget it will give you how much money is spent per student now. That will not change with a charter school. Do we complain that money is being taken away from schools when we open a new public school. No! Same concept. The money is the same just divided differently.

Parents who cannot afford to send their kids to a private school but can offer all other means of support deserve to spend their child's portion of the education budget where ever they believe their child will get the best education and I'm sorry but the public schools do not always do that.

And who cares if it is for profit or a money grab for corporations. The thing about corporations is they are committed to turning out a better product so if the charter school fails no one will chose to go. They have every reason to ensure it is a success. Can the same be said about our public schools? What happens if a public school fails to produce? We try to figure out new ways to educate, ideas like Charter schools.

Georgia Charter Schools Amendment

Georgia Ballot Measure - Amendment 1

Summary

This proposal authorizes the General Assembly to provide by law for the creation of public state charter schools, which would operate under the terms of charters between the State Board of Education and charter petitioners, while preserving the authority of local boards of education to establish local charter schools. Specifically, the proposal clarifies the authority of the General Assembly to provide for state-wide policies for public education prior to the college or post-secondary level, restates the authority of the General Assembly to establish special schools, prohibits the incurrence of bonded indebtedness or the levy of school taxes for the support of special schools without approval of the local board of education and the voters in the affected school system, provides that special schools may include public state charter schools, preserves the authority of local boards of education to establish local charter schools, authorizes the expenditure of state funds for special schools, and prohibits the deduction of certain state funds from local school districts as a direct result or consequence of the enrollment of students in state charter schools.

8)

Right now there are kids who do well in school with supportive parents but could do even better if they were allowed to go to a school that gave them a more rigerous,disciplined and fullfilling educational experience.

Go to any school and witness the lack of discipline in the halls. Kids being late to class, failing to follow the dress code, the disrespect in which they talk to the teachers, the unfilitered use of profane language and sexual behavior. It is disgusting.

Do some kids achieve in this enviroment regadless? Well yes but does that mean they cant do better or more cant share in that achievement? Of course not!

Parents who cannot afford to send their kids to a private school but can offer all other means of support deserve to spend their childs portion of the education budget where ever they believe their child will get the best education and I'm sorry but the public schools do not always do that.

It is not hogwash that Charter schools would take away from public schools. Public schools can't even get money they need now to run them so now set up another school system and where do you suppose there is enough to support 2 systems? One is public one for free and the other Charter is for profit with taxpayers money?!.

And those children that run amuck in the hallways swearing....where do you suppose it comes from? Is the behavior because of public schools or is it the fault of the parent that says its not that big of a deal...why are you punishing my child mentality? If parents will not parent and expect the school to be it but then complain when the school calls about the little things their precious child is doing, why do you believe charter schools deserve the public schools money Just because the public schools have their hands tied on what they can do vs Charter schools stating they only take the best and leave the public schools teaching the disadvantaged? That is what I call hogwash....you need to fix what they started and make rules so that if the child isn't behaving or trying to learn in a public school then and only then do you send that troubled child to another school so the children in public schools that want to learn can. fix the problem where the majority of children are. You can not fix it with public funding and blindly segregate children by class. If you can't afford one system, how can you afford 2? Why would taxpayers support a for profit organization that their child may or may not be a part of? Now if the for profit Charter schools want to start on their own dime, that is fine. But not on the back of the public school child that was in a public education system but might not get what is needed because the money that was there for them is now taken to support another system.

We no longer have an alternative school.

The students are no assigned to the Ombudsman school.

And my point is proven. Those students are, by and large, the "problem students" who don't finish school, are always in trouble and have little parental support. Are there exceptions? Sure. But the majority? No. The point is proven.

That's right, your point is proven NEGATIVE!!!!!!!! I was over by the Ombudsman school three weeks ago, and they were exiting the building. County school buses were picking them up!

When did it close??? Two weeks ago I suppose!!!!

With the liberal accusations coming out, I'd just like to point out that a guy up the road has a Romney/Ryan sign and, right beside it, a vote No to the amendment sign.

As with many things, you have to ask yourself if it passes the smell test. My question was answered by a mailer I got last week from the pro amendment folks. My son is a junior in high school so he gets all kinds of crap from different colleges. Last week there was one from GeorgiaHope. I was sure to set this one aside on my desk assuming it contained Hope Scholarship information. Then I decided to open it. It had NOTHING to do with the Hope Scholarship program and everything to do with this amendment. I can only believe it was no accident that they were trying to tie in Hope with an education amendment, trying to make folks believe that voting "no" would be a vote against the Hope Scholarship. That's shady as all hell and tells me that this amendment isn't strong enough to survive without muddying the waters.

Vote NO!

mrnn

I was on the fence when it came to voting on this one.

But by applying the "mrnn principal" to this, I now see I have to vote yes.

The "mrnn principle" is better know at my house as 'voting the opposite of my wife'.

I do not know mrnn, but I do know that he and my wife see things a lot alike, wrong.

:)

Nah, just kidding, I am voting no.

Neither my wife or mrnn are perfect, neither can be wrong all the time, occasionally they have to make a mistake and be right.

Again, just kidding. :)

The "mrnn principle" is better know at my house as 'voting the opposite of my wife'.

I do not know mrnn, but I do know that he and my wife see things a lot alike, wrong.

Neither my wife or mrnn are perfect, neither can be wrong all the time, occasionally they have to make a mistake and be right.

Give me the education vouchers and let me decide where I want to spend my portion of the tax dollars to educate my child.Thats what I want to see happen..

• Like 2

:lol:

You should be happy you married a liberal! How long did it take her to convince you that there are other ways of having sex than missionary? ;)

Behind every great man is a great woman.

mrnn

Give me the education vouchers and let me decide where I want to spend my portion of the tax dollars to educate my child.Thats what I want to see happen..

But it's not "your portion" of tax dollars. Per pupil spending in GA, in 2010, was $10K/yr. There are few, if any, residences in Paulding county that have $10K tax bills, much less $10K headed to the school fund annually. That $10K is an amalgam of local, state, and federal tax monies. When you decrease the population of a school by 100 kids, you're removing $100K from that school's funding...obviously those kids' parents didn't pay $100K in education taxes, but the school, if amendment 1 passes, is impacted as if they were paying that much.

To put it much simpler, this is nothing more than a Republican led effort to privatize Georgia schools using tax payer money. When you bring profit motives into "free", tax payer funded schools, you're just asking for trouble.

mrnn

• Like 1

But it's not "your portion" of tax dollars. Per pupil spending in GA, in 2010, was $10K/yr. There are few, if any, residences in Paulding county that have $10K tax bills, much less $10K headed to the school fund annually. That $10K is an amalgam of local, state, and federal tax monies. When you decrease the population of a school by 100 kids, you're removing $100K from that school's funding...obviously those kids' parents didn't pay $100K in education taxes, but the school, if amendment 1 passes, is impacted as if they were paying that much.

To put it much simpler, this is nothing more than a Republican led effort to privatize Georgia schools using tax payer money. When you bring profit motives into "free", tax payer funded schools, you're just asking for trouble.

mrnn

Partially true. If you take 10 students out of public school, that's 100K less that the Public school will need! Then, as I understand it(and please, please, please correct me if I'm wrong), Local school taxes can not be used for Charter schools. Then we need to find the breakdown of taxes used. I understand that to be Federal, Local and then state in ascending order! Something like approx. 20/30/50%. Is that correct? If it is, that means Charters will receive 7K per student. The other 3K should go into the Public school fund, or returned to taxpayers. Take a simple case of 1/2 of students of the county attending a Charter school, the Public school students should then get 13K each!!

Oh,,, Yes it is our portion of our tax dollars that the current BOE is mismanaging! How do you figure that it belongs to someone else??????

Edited - 10/28/2012 at 7:25 to correct math error, 10 kids, not 100. -PP-

Edited by Paxilpapa

It is not hogwash that Charter schools would take away from public schools. Public schools can't even get money they need now to run them so now set up another school system and where do you suppose there is enough to support 2 systems? One is public one for free and the other Charter is for profit with taxpayers money?!.

And those children that run amuck in the hallways swearing....where do you suppose it comes from? Is the behavior because of public schools or is it the fault of the parent that says its not that big of a deal...why are you punishing my child mentality? If parents will not parent and expect the school to be it but then complain when the school calls about the little things their precious child is doing, why do you believe charter schools deserve the public schools money Just because the public schools have their hands tied on what they can do vs Charter schools stating they only take the best and leave the public schools teaching the disadvantaged? That is what I call hogwash....you need to fix what they started and make rules so that if the child isn't behaving or trying to learn in a public school then and only then do you send that troubled child to another school so the children in public schools that want to learn can. fix the problem where the majority of children are. You can not fix it with public funding and blindly segregate children by class. If you can't afford one system, how can you afford 2? Why would taxpayers support a for profit organization that their child may or may not be a part of? Now if the for profit Charter schools want to start on their own dime, that is fine. But not on the back of the public school child that was in a public education system but might not get what is needed because the money that was there for them is now taken to support another system.

The amendment requires that all state charter schools be public schools and cannot include

private, sectarian, religious, or for-profit schools or private educational institutions.

- Savannah Morning News

;)

I've changed my mind on this one. I'm voting No! If this passes-- expect higher property taxes levied by the local BOE.

Georgia Charter Schools Amendment

Georgia Ballot Measure - Amendment 1

Summary

This proposal authorizes the General Assembly to provide by law for the creation of public state charter schools, which would operate under the terms of charters between the State Board of Education and charter petitioners, while preserving the authority of local boards of education to establish local charter schools. Specifically, the proposal clarifies the authority of the General Assembly to provide for state-wide policies for public education prior to the college or post-secondary level, restates the authority of the General Assembly to establish special schools, prohibits the incurrence of bonded indebtedness or the levy of school taxes for the support of special schools without approval of the local board of education and the voters in the affected school system, provides that special schools may include public state charter schools, preserves the authority of local boards of education to establish local charter schools, authorizes the expenditure of state funds for special schools, and prohibits the deduction of certain state funds from local school districts as a direct result or consequence of the enrollment of students in state charter schools.

mrnn

The amendment specifically prohibits "for profit" schools.

8)

This is not a vote for or against charter schools. Ga has over 130. Charter schools are a good thing.

This is about FUNDING those charter schools. This amendment is a way around the recent ruling that a 2008 GA law was unconstitutional.How do you make it constitutional? You bamboozle uninformed voters into amending the constitution!

Never, ever vote yes for something that you don't understand.

I am a conservative and I'm voting no. This is not a liberal or conservative issue, this is a big corporations a d government spending issue. I am 100% FOR local choice, which is what a no vote gives you.

• Like 1

I am under the impression that we can have charters schools in any county in Georgia that wishes to have one.

I understand this amendment is about forcing school districts to pay for charter schools.

Georgia already spends almost 1/2 of the taxes collected on education and still we have no improvement.

This reminds me of the tsplost except it is a reversal by the far right.

I believe people argued that the DOT had money management problems and they needed to get their house in order before asking the public for more money.

I am pretty sure will be facing some tax increases if this passes. People need to research our lottery.

They are a corporation that sets their own fees for services rendered. We are in a contract with them. Counties will also be under contract with the company that provides charter schools.

I know people really want this to work, as long as our department of education remains incompetent it is not wise to vote for what will be a future tax increase.

Oh,,, Yes it is our portion of our tax dollars that the current BOE is mismanaging!

I would argue that our current BOE has done an exceptional job maintaining, best they can, the current school system within the constraints of a severely cut budget due to reduced tax receipts (house market killed their revenues).

It sounds to me like a shell game..moving money here and there and somehow, using state government magic, everyone comes out ahead. I don't buy it.

mrnn

The amendment specifically prohibits "for profit" schools.

8)

You're correct. I didn't research well enough before commenting.

mrnn