Paulding.com
Sign in to follow this  
anjer1

Pre K dropouts

I went to pick my grandson up at preK today and it was only a few minutes after 2 and they had already put him in after school. Normally I would get there about 1:50 p.m. and I found myself just sitting in line and all of the "late parents would be cutting in line to pick thier kids up. It just really irritated me so the last 2 days I have left at 1:55 and when I got there, there was no line. I asked the teacher what was going on and she had stated that "You would not believe how many kids have drooped out. It makes me wonder what parents are thinking. Do they not know that by making a choice like that that the kids are gonna decide when they do not want to go to school that they may just drop out. Is it the economy? Gas? It is just sad. What is your opinion about? I raised my children that when you start something, that you finish.

Whos to say they didnt swap preK schools.I agree if you start it finish it. PreK is great for kids. I know mine will be going when said time comes. It just helps them get a better start imo.Thats kind of weird though so many have dropped out. Did something happen at the school to make them want there child not to go there? not saying thats the case ,but its what it made me think of.

1. People move

2. Parents may be dissatisfied with the school

3. People become unemployed

4. ?

Ask the director to allow you to see a copy of their most recent inspection. Ask her to show you a copy of the lead teacher's credentials.

We are 2 months in to the school year and this had to happen in the last week or so.

Unless things have changed, they have to submit their Pre-K roster on Oct. 1, Dec. 1, and Feb. 1. They get monthly checks based on the submitted roster. If they lose students after Oct. 1 they might not allow new enrollees until just before Dec. 1. That way, they will still receive their check without having to maintain as many children. This allows the center to employ fewer staff while making a larger profit margin.

It's all business. I'm sure all of the openings will be filled prior to Dec. 1.

Now, if there is an issue with staff or safety that is an entirely different matter. I would request a meeting to find out exactly why the enrollment has dropped so dramatically and so quickly. If you get a vague answer you might want to do further research. I definately sense some red flags just based on what you have typed.

Just slighty off topic:

At our first kindergarten parent-teacher conference the teacher said that my son was behind his class because of pre-k. She said that most of the kids who'd had pre-k were behind the ones who hadn't. She attributed it to the time they spent having to unlearn the bad habits taught in pre-k such as writing in all capital letters and a few other seemingly minor things. She said what kids were being taught in pre-k was the opposite of what the state's learning requirements for kindergarten are/were. It didn't make sense to me because I was under the impression that pre-k was state regulated as well. They even enrolled him in the Early Intervention Program and she attributed it to pre-k.

I felt like I did the right thing when I enrolled him in pre-k but she made it sound as though I'd done him a disservice :angry2:

I just went on the state inspection website and read the inspection report and it was inspected /monitored on 3-27-12. The only issue that I seen was that the 5th classroom needed proper ventilation. I did notice that there were alot of "not evaluated" on the report. It seems like to me that the worker for the state inspection should not be able to turn in a incomplete report.

Unfortunately, alot of parents do allow their kids to drop out of pre-k. They feel it is not important since it is not required. Also, this time of year when the days get so short, parents do not like to have to get up and get out early to take them and drop them off. I know a couple who allowed their son to drop out of 3 and 4 year pre-k. When I asked them what they planned to do when he wanted to quit kindergarten, they replied that would be different because he would HAVE to go then. I'm sure a 5 year old can follow that logic. :wacko:

I was a *kindergarten* dropout and still managed to be an A and B student all the way through college. Parents who work with their kids at home can prepare them quite adequately for 'real' school without the assistance of pre-k programs. That includes 'socialization,' BTW.

• Like 1

I went to pick my grandson up at preK today and it was only a few minutes after 2 and they had already put him in after school. Normally I would get there about 1:50 p.m. and I found myself just sitting in line and all of the "late parents would be cutting in line to pick thier kids up. It just really irritated me so the last 2 days I have left at 1:55 and when I got there, there was no line. I asked the teacher what was going on and she had stated that "You would not believe how many kids have drooped out. It makes me wonder what parents are thinking. Do they not know that by making a choice like that that the kids are gonna decide when they do not want to go to school that they may just drop out. Is it the economy? Gas? It is just sad. What is your opinion about? I raised my children that when you start something, that you finish.

May I ask what school? Looking to enroll my son.

1349823244[/url]' post='3704442']

PreK and K are not mandatory.

I had no idea that K wasn't mandatory. New wrinkle for my brain.

I think people just swap them to the school they really wanted them to get into after they have an opening. Some kids don't need Pre-School. Some parents just send them because they need a break!

We've done it....

Our daughter was not happy in her program.

She is almost a year older than most of her class ( she has a just after the cut off bday).

She has also accomplished all of the required pre-k bench marks (she is a second child and we used to home school so she was exposed to a lot).

We would rather pull her out than have her relationship to school become negative and set the tone for the rest of her schooling.

.and as stated above, with the demand for "pre-k" spots many people do dual enroll to ensure a placement.

Maybe they were just really, really tired. :)

Sorry, I couldn't help it, my mind just went there.