Paulding.com

Food Stamps

To an extent I agree with you. However, there is this thing called life that sometimes throws you curve balls that you COULD not have planned for. A sudden death of a child or a spouse. The long term illness of a child or a spouse. Crime. Illness. Unemployment. Accidents.

I am thankful we had lived frugally through the years because our lives changed dramatically on one particular day in March 2010 when my husband realized, and his doctor confirmed, that he would NOT be able to return to work. EVER. He was 59 years old. Had we lived like most people with car payments and a mortgage and other debts, we would NOT have survived financially. Only through frugal living for our entire marriage were we able to weather that storm FINANCIALLY. We're still navigating the new territory of forced retirement, limited ability and the horrible prognosis he is given (confinement to a wheelchair at some point in the future with almost 100% certainty). But when faced with a sudden, terrible life-changing event you go into a tailspin mentally as well as possibly physically. You might be able to survive but when your choices for legal means to support your family are taken away from you through no fault of your own, what do you do? To say it's a lack of attitude or ambition is insulting to those who have plenty of attitude and ambition but limited choices.

Without the attitude of surviving and doing anything within legal means to support

myself and my family, that's where a lot of people fail. They simply do not have that attitude.

I did... others have done it... and ANYONE can do it if they have the ambition and will to do so.

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

People definaty abuse the system. But for example, while pregnant with my daughter I qualified for Medicaid. I also qualified for WIC I was the only source of income for a family of 3 about to be four

And just where are all these jobs people are hiding from just to get govt. aid? You can't have it both ways, complain in one topic about there being NO jobs because of Obama and then gripe in another

I did not give up my 2 2003 paid for vehicles because we needed transportation. I guess I could have sold them to get a really beater car, but I needed reliable transportation to get to and from work

I think we should just agree to disagree, you compare everything to your life and your personal experiences. You are doing a great job of justifying your argument based on your personal life experiences.

I have had very different experiences, I have not had to try and make it on 1200 a month, the difference is I thank God every day that I am not in that situation. I am not going to reveal my personal life to make a point to you. I will say that I know many people from different walks of life and many situations most of the time I simply say but for the grace of God there go I.

I help as much as possible in community, I give a lot of my free time to helping small business, I am not paid for those hours, I am rewarded by sharing the things that have made myself and other businesses successful, I bring the successful businesses together to help others.

There was a time when people lived differently and did much better handling money.

We simply can not turn our backs on innocent children and sick people.

We know that health insurance is beyond the means of the working poor.

We will always have the poor with us, the question is what poverty should look like and feel like, society is divided on that issue.

I am just not ready to see people die to teach others a lesson. I am angry at the abusers, but I don't know how to stop it other than setting an example of letting people die to stop the behaviors that put many into poverty.

Sometimes that behavior is a simple as a women leaving an abusive relationship with her children, or a man walking away from a pregnant girl.

I just know I don't want to see the kind of poverty that I see in third world countries were people that want to work or they do work and still they die from hunger, disease, and exposure while the leaders of their countries live lavishly. I worry that we are headed in that direction.

Why do you think the Mexican people risk death to get here, we are regressing and they are an example of what we are regressing to.

We have people in this country working every day as hard as they are capable of working that are getting further and further behind. Many are not putting aside money because they can't and still live.

My father is 72 and has had leukemia for 10 years, He collects his SS and a small pension and he still works when he is in remission to pay his supplemental insurance and co-pays.

I know he will soon be getting behind if he does not go into remission and start working again.

If not for social security and medicare my dad would have long since been dead, I guess people see him as drain on the system, why should medicare pay for 100's of thousands of dollars in treatment just to keep an old man alive. Were do we stop when we start deciding who is a burden?

For every abuser there are thousands that paid into the system and are now being treated like lazy blood suckers, when they are in need.

PS, just how long ago was it that you tried to live on 1200 a month? Families can not survive on that.

That's a joke, with rent/mortgage payment, car ins, electricity/gas/water, food, gas for the car, etc., it C-A-N-N-O-T B-E D-O-N-E. You can talk until you're blue in the face, we all can, and there are some who will never accept that fact there are times when people need help because they fall on hard times through no fault of their own. But to some it will always be their fault, because they didn't sell their jewelry, car or a kidney.

And for the ones that continue to harp about the government stealing from their hard earned paychecks, that they have never had handouts and never will..........bully for you and I hope to God you are never in a situation where you have to ask anyone for anything, because who will be the deadbeat then? Oh, and I'll be happy to be the first one to step up to the plate and cast the first stone.

• Like 4

That's a joke, with rent/mortgage payment, car ins, electricity/gas/water, food, gas for the car, etc., it C-A-N-N-O-T B-E D-O-N-E.

You are simply full of sheeze. It CAN be done and it has been done. I've done it.

You can talk until you're blue in the face, we all can, and there are some who will never accept that fact there are times when people need help because they fall on hard times through no fault of their own. But to some it will always be their fault, because they didn't sell their jewelry, car or a kidney.

You are where you are in life, soley because of the choices you make. I'm sorry you can't accept that and it's because you can't accept it

is why you would never be able to survive in the situations being discussed.

And for the ones that continue to harp about the government stealing from their hard earned paychecks, that they have never had handouts and never will..........bully for you and I hope to God you are never in a situation where you have to ask anyone for anything, because who will be the deadbeat then? Oh, and I'll be happy to be the first one to step up to the plate and cast the first stone.

You should REALLY learn to read. Nobody is against handouts and nobody is against being helped.

Had you read what I have written, I've said many times that I am first to donate to charity and help out those in need.

The role of the government is not to rob of those who have and give to those who don't.

Learn to read. Nobody is against help. But it needs to be done from the generosity of others, through charities, through churches, etc...

NOT through FORCE by the government.

Edited by Nitro

I used to feed a family of five on $60 a week. Now I can't walk out of the store with groceries for half a week for two people for $60. I actually used to buy more meat than I do now. I can't afford it now. Hamburger is 3 or 4 times what it cost back then. I used to stock up when it was 89 cents a pound. It's over $2.50 a pound now, I guess because I haven't bought any in so long I can't remember!

We live on a little more than $1200 a month but not much more. If it weren't for savings, which I refuse to touch unless absolutely necessary, we wouldn't be able to pay our bills some months. If we had a mortgage, we would have lost the house by now or gone through most of our savings. This past month was really rough. We had two property tax bills due by October 15 and car insurance due by September 1. Thankfully, all the big expenses are done for another six months when the car insurance, homeowners and fire insurance again come due.

A few years ago we had tenants in our rental house. Between their rent and their utility bills, they were spending roughly $1100 a month. I'm quite sure they didn't qualify for food stamps because of their income but I think they got WIC. That helped, I'm sure, but I'm quite positive that the husband could put away a good bit of groceries by himself. He was a guy with a hearty appetite.

You are simply full of sheeze. It CAN be done and it has been done. I've done it.

You are where you are in life, soley because of the choices you make. I'm sorry you can't accept that and it's because you can't accept it

is why you would never be able to survive in the situations being discussed.

You should REALLY learn to read. Nobody is against handouts and nobody is against being helped.

Had you read what I have written, I've said many times that I am first to donate to charity and help out those in need.

The role of the government is not to rob of those who have and give to those who don't.

Learn to read. Nobody is against help. But it needs to be done from the generosity of others, through charities, through churches, etc...

NOT through FORCE by the government.

You have no idea what I have survived, so DO NOT assume that you do. You know NOTHING about me or my life, but I'll tell you one thing for sure, I had rather be destitute, laying in the street than to be one iota like you. There are in fact people full of sheeze, as you are so fond of saying, on this site and in this very topic, but once again, you're completely wrong because I'm not one of them.

Edited by Betty Jo Bradley
inflammatory comment removed
  • Like 3

You have no idea what I have survived, so DO NOT assume that you do. You know NOTHING about me or my life, but I'll tell you one thing for sure, I had rather be destitute, laying in the street than to be one iota like you. There are in fact people full of sheeze, as you are so fond of saying, on this site and in this very topic, but once again, you're completely wrong because I'm not one of them.

I don't need to know what you've survived. You've pretty much stated it by saying it cannot be done.

I know from what you've posted that you're not responsible enough to take responsibility for your own actions

and that you want the government to take money away from other people to pay for the ones who can't.

I apparently am not so stupid, because I've been able to survive in situations that YOU say a person can't.

You know NOTHING of survival. You couldn't survive your way out of a damn paper sack.

Edited by Betty Jo Bradley
inflammatory comment removed

I used to feed a family of five on $60 a week. Now I can't walk out of the store with groceries for half a week for two people for $60. I actually used to buy more meat than I do now. I can't afford it now. Hamburger is 3 or 4 times what it cost back then. I used to stock up when it was 89 cents a pound. It's over $2.50 a pound now, I guess because I haven't bought any in so long I can't remember!

We live on a little more than $1200 a month but not much more. If it weren't for savings, which I refuse to touch unless absolutely necessary, we wouldn't be able to pay our bills some months. If we had a mortgage, we would have lost the house by now or gone through most of our savings. This past month was really rough. We had two property tax bills due by October 15 and car insurance due by September 1. Thankfully, all the big expenses are done for another six months when the car insurance, homeowners and fire insurance again come due.

A few years ago we had tenants in our rental house. Between their rent and their utility bills, they were spending roughly $1100 a month. I'm quite sure they didn't qualify for food stamps because of their income but I think they got WIC. That helped, I'm sure, but I'm quite positive that the husband could put away a good bit of groceries by himself. He was a guy with a hearty appetite.

Yep! It's all about how you organize your priorities. Like I said, I spent many meals eating Ramen noodles and drinking water.

Hamburger? Nope, not during those times. A few times during that 'poor' time that we faced, we had a little meat...

A couple of trips hunting and I was able to put a deer or turkey on the table. Several times I have had to put lake caught fish on the table.

It's a long way from a filet mignon, but it sure beats Ramen noodles every day. At least they make different flavors.

We had sold our 2nd car and we were riding together to work. She went to work earlier than I did... I spent many of days at work, 1 1/2 early

because I had to ride in early so she could get to work on time. What did I do with that time? When I was able, I used it to benefit my employer,

which they noticed... which benefited me later. When I had nothing 'extra' to do for the employer, I was studying for a couple of tests

that would help me advance my career. If people would quit making excuses, they can pull through anything they put their mind too.

It's almost unimaginable how difficult it is to go through and even more difficult to make yourself pull through it.

The one's who say "it can't be done" are the ones who will never do it.

I don't need to know what you've survived. You've pretty much stated it by saying it cannot be done.

I know from what you've posted that you're not responsible enough to take responsibility for your own actions

and that you want the government to take money away from other people to pay for the ones who can't.

I apparently am not so stupid, because I've been able to survive in situations that YOU say a person can't.

You know NOTHING of survival. You couldn't survive your way out of a damn paper sack.

You could have said this in a much nicer way. Is profanity and/or name calling really the best use of speech in this case?

Yep! It's all about how you organize your priorities. Like I said, I spent many meals eating Ramen noodles and drinking water.

Hamburger? Nope, not during those times. A few times during that 'poor' time that we faced, we had a little meat...

A couple of trips hunting and I was able to put a deer or turkey on the table. Several times I have had to put lake caught fish on the table.

It's a long way from a filet mignon, but it sure beats Ramen noodles every day. At least they make different flavors.

We had sold our 2nd car and we were riding together to work. She went to work earlier than I did... I spent many of days at work, 1 1/2 early

because I had to ride in early so she could get to work on time. What did I do with that time? When I was able, I used it to benefit my employer,

which they noticed... which benefited me later. When I had nothing 'extra' to do for the employer, I was studying for a couple of tests

that would help me advance my career. If people would quit making excuses, they can pull through anything they put their mind too.

It's almost unimaginable how difficult it is to go through and even more difficult to make yourself pull through it.

Good job,you have my respect :clapping:

You could have said this in a much nicer way. Is profanity and/or name calling really the best use of speech in this case?

I was responding directly to what she said to me. What she wrote was edited out, as I assume what I wrote back, will be.

Apparently, what she said got edited before you read it. She deserved what she was called.

Edited by Nitro

I was responding directly to what she said to me. What she wrote was edited out, as I assume what I wrote back, will be.

Apparently, what she said got edited before you read it. She deserved what she was called.

No one deserves that even if they sank to that level to begin with. But that is just how I think. Please, carry on.

I remember when a customer of ours bagged a deer but had no freezer in which to store it. They asked if we wanted it. We said sure. We didn't have the money to have it processed so I did it myself on the kitchen table. Only expense was freezer paper and tape.