Paulding.com

Food Stamps

News flash! That is every industry!

You have to pretty much be over bearing and relentless.

You have to prove to them that hiring you is not a good choice.. it's the BEST choice.

Employers like aggressiveness when people are trying to get a job.

It shows them that they have ambition and want to work and be productive.

If you are told, we are looking for more experience...and you just walk off and accept it,

you're never going to get a job. I don't mean to harass them and make threats,

but never take an initial "no" for an answer... You have to sell yourself.

I disagree completely, if I tell you no, I mean it.... Unless I let you in the door for that initial interview DO NOT keep calling me about your resume. If you bug me I realize that you are not a person I want working form me.... My suggestion is send in your resume, have the interview, send a thank you email saying you will follow up in a few days, make a follow up phone call 48 hours later and drop it. If you do more, you are annoying.

I do think your solution might work for a retail type environment but not an office setting.... But the good thing is for every person like me who find it annoying there is one who admires it, you just have to trust your gut and get a good feel of the person who is making the decision.

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

People definaty abuse the system. But for example, while pregnant with my daughter I qualified for Medicaid. I also qualified for WIC I was the only source of income for a family of 3 about to be four

And just where are all these jobs people are hiding from just to get govt. aid? You can't have it both ways, complain in one topic about there being NO jobs because of Obama and then gripe in another

I did not give up my 2 2003 paid for vehicles because we needed transportation. I guess I could have sold them to get a really beater car, but I needed reliable transportation to get to and from work

I can vouch for the law office part. Almost everybody that I know (myself included)got the job by knowing somebody. You either know somebody that works in the office or some associate fromthe outside recommends you to the bosses.

Sadly, I don't know anyone down here anymore.

I disagree completely, if I tell you no, I mean it.... Unless I let you in the door for that initial interview DO NOT keep calling me about your resume. If you bug me I realize that you are not a person I want working form me.... My suggestion is send in your resume, have the interview, send a thank you email saying you will follow up in a few days, make a follow up phone call 48 hours later and drop it. If you do more, you are annoying.

I do think your solution might work for a retail type environment but not an office setting.... But the good thing is for every person like me who find it annoying there is one who admires it, you just have to trust your gut and get a good feel of the person who is making the decision.

Well, as you stated, you don't like it. Other people do.

If one way doesn't work... try the other.

Giving up and saying "I just can't find a job" is not the answer, in either case.

Sadly, I don't know anyone down here anymore.

If you could borrow the cash from someone to start up the work from home gig then you should pm Blondie on here, she has been doing it a good while and really likes it.... It may not be ideal for you but it's pretty decent money for a work from home gig....

If you could borrow the cash from someone to start up the work from home gig then you should pm Blondie on here, she has been doing it a good while and really likes it.... It may not be ideal for you but it's pretty decent money for a work from home gig....

I wish I could borrow money from someone. My father is unemployed and mom is having issues keeping them afloat. I don't know anyone else that well to do that. Trust me, if I did, I would.

Edited by Danaerys

I wish I could borrow money from someone. My father is unemployed and mom is having issues keeping them afloat. I don't know anyone else that well to do that. Trust me, if I did, I would.

Dang, just keep plugging away then, I have seen a lot of people who just completely gave up hope and then landed a job of their dreams (Maybe not dream pay, but much better working conditions, etc). so keep on trying, it's all you can do...

Dang, just keep plugging away then, I have seen a lot of people who just completely gave up hope and then landed a job of their dreams (Maybe not dream pay, but much better working conditions, etc). so keep on trying, it's all you can do...

That is what I am doing. That is all I can do.

You know I didn't have any experience in animal medicine when I started out. I told the doctor that "all I knew about animals, was to feed and water them, but I always wanted to work with them, and would do whatever I needed to do." He hired me to work in the kennels. That was over 20 years ago. I am now a retired Vet Tech. If it hadn't been for that first chance, I would not have been able to have my dream job.

Sometimes you just have to be honest, and let them know you will sweep floors if that's what it takes to get your foot in the door.

That's funny... I have three vehicles that I have never showed a pay stub to purchase.

That statement is a load of crap.

If I own a luxury vehicle worth $35,000 and times get hard, I can sell it for what I can get out of it.

Let's say I get $29,900. I can take that money right down to any dealer and purchase a $5,000 used car

with no paycheck stub, no credit check... nothing. I hand them the money and they process the title.

You are correct on trade. It's illegal to trade an automobile.

By law, it has to be sold for a minimum of $1. :rolleyes:

How many welfare recipients do you know that outright own a vehicle that is worth that much?

That's funny... I have three vehicles that I have never showed a pay stub to purchase.

That statement is a load of crap.

If I own a luxury vehicle worth $35,000 and times get hard, I can sell it for what I can get out of it.

Let's say I get $29,900. I can take that money right down to any dealer and purchase a $5,000 used car

with no paycheck stub, no credit check... nothing. I hand them the money and they process the title.

You are correct on trade. It's illegal to trade an automobile.

By law, it has to be sold for a minimum of $1. :rolleyes:

Good luck getting that much cash out of your vehicle, what you described is your reality. Please share with everyone were you can get a car loan with out showing proof of income.

I keep hearing the same message, over and over that there is never a good reason for needing help, you never had a job that paid enough for you to save, or you never saved and that is why you are in this position. Nobody is worthy of assistance.

40% of our job market were people in that position, many well educated.I love that people are unrealistic about the cost of surviving in this country.

• Like 1

You need to check into selling bling, unless you have bling 5000 and up you are going to walk away with 25-50, you can only sell it once.

You can not purchase,lease or trade automobiles without pay stubs.

In this economy people are getting next to nothing trying to sell off to survive.

We have people right now that are unemployed that made very good money all their lives, their financial obligations and possessions reflect that. They have done nothing wrong, the bottom line is that they quickly go through savings and can not get enough from selling their possessions to keep them afloat for very long.

We don't want abusers, but we don't want people giving up and going on the system. Some are throwing away equity in their home and going on section 8 because they have given up.

Food stamps help many to have enough cash to meet their financial obligations until they can get back on their feet.

The point I am making is that selling off floats people for a short period of time. They don't have credit to make changes without proof of employment.

We can not force businesses to employ people,that is the bottom line, we have to accept that until they do a lot of people are going to need help.

I still say saving what you have built is a much bigger motivator than a system that demands you give everything up before you get assistance.

You folks are missing the point. The assertion was made that the person in question already had the nice car and all that Bling prior to going on food stamps. My point was... Fine. Are you leasing the car? Are you making payments. Look at trading down. We traded down. Dropped $135 / month on the note, get 8 mpg better and will still pay over the same time. Do they own it out right? Could you sell it, buy another smaller more econmical and just as reliable car out right and bank some extra $$? All that Bling... What can it be sold for? For the record Bling to me does not include wedding sets. But on that note, I'll be darned if I loose my home, car or make my kids go hungry if selling the wedding sets would prevent it. My kids are way more important than that. My 401k. I raided it under the emergency provisions as allowed under law. Guess what? I had one to raid.

These things may or may not work for everyone but they are certainly options to going onto food stamps. That is the problem with folks in the US. That entitlement philosophy. I WILL NOT TAKE ONE STEP BACK NOR GIVE UP 1 THING. I heve seen folks loose their ASSets with that philosophy. I'll be danged if I am on food stamps / gvt assistance long term (over a year) and go in shopping for groceries flashing all sorts of Bling, wearing the most expensive clothing and then walk my 2 buggies of food out to a $40,000+ SUV. I know how it looks and I wouldn't be caught doing that at all. Those are the folks that are not on short term assistance. They are the ones that have made it a lifetime carrer of "gaming" the system and are more than willing to rub it IN YOUR FACE because they do not care.

How many welfare recipients do you know that outright own a vehicle that is worth that much?

They probably aren't even buyng anyway. They are leasing that Escalade, Lexus or infinty. They just need to down size their lease. I don't know how they leased the big one but it stands to reason that they should be able to lease the smaller even easier.

Good luck getting that much cash out of your vehicle, what you described is your reality. Please share with everyone were you can get a car loan with out showing proof of income.

I keep hearing the same message, over and over that there is never a good reason for needing help, you never had a job that paid enough for you to save, or you never saved and that is why you are in this position. Nobody is worthy of assistance.

40% of our job market were people in that position, many well educated.I love that people are unrealistic about the cost of surviving in this country.

Carmax offered me $28,000 (Feb 2012) flat out cash for our $40,000 2011 Tahoe purchased for $33,000 (Oct 2010). Yep... we took the equity hit, but the gas and payment savings will add up now.

Oh how I wish I had never let my wife talk me into trading in the 05 Yukon that would have been paid for in July 2011.:pardon: :rolleyes:

You folks are missing the point. The assertion was made that the person in question already had the nice car and all that Bling prior to going on food stamps. My point was... Fine. Are you leasing the car? Are you making payments. Look at trading down. We traded down. Dropped $135 / month on the note, get 8 mpg better and will still pay over the same time. Do they own it out right? Could you sell it, buy another smaller more econmical and just as reliable car out right and bank some extra $$? All that Bling... What can it be sold for? For the record Bling to me does not include wedding sets. But on that note, I'll be darned if I loose my home, car or make my kids go hungry if selling the wedding sets would prevent it. My kids are way more important than that. My 401k. I raided it under the emergency provisions as allowed under law. Guess what? I had one to raid.

These things may or may not work for everyone but they are certainly options to going onto food stamps. That is the problem with folks in the US. That entitlement philosophy. I WILL NOT TAKE ONE STEP BACK NOR GIVE UP 1 THING. I heve seen folks loose their ASSets with that philosophy. I'll be danged if I am on food stamps / gvt assistance long term (over a year) and go in shopping for groceries flashing all sorts of Bling, wearing the most expensive clothing and then walk my 2 buggies of food out to a $40,000+ SUV. I know how it looks and I wouldn't be caught doing that at all. Those are the folks that are not on short term assistance. They are the ones that have made it a lifetime carrer of "gaming" the system and are more than willing to rub it IN YOUR FACE because they do not care.

I simply can not find any articles were there are numbers on the kind of abuse you are describing. There are a handful of articles describing massive fraud.

I think we are in a bind with social services and that is adding thousands to government payroll to investigate.

I still say the number one cause is people not making enough money and not able to control their spending habits. These problems seem to be passed from generation to generation.

Abuse makes us all angry, but I am not prepared to completely stop assistance because of it.

We have got to find a way to make it work, I am not sure what we do about the cost of living being so high in this country.

When I say cost of living I am talking a minimum for shelter utility and food.

We live in a county were the challenges are even higher because of transportation needs.

I think we would be better off if more businesses using minimum wage offered full time work. We could get a lot of people above the poverty line.

I believe in solving the problem rather than railing against.

The higher the cost of living goes the more bogged down our economy becomes because it is so dependent on consumerism of goods.

I would be curious see what would happen if food stamps were stopped, would we be charged to make up the loss of income at the grocery stores. If section 8 were stopped would the cost of rentals go up? We are being forced to make sure land lords get their asking price for rent.

The same goes for higher education, we are being forced to meet what the regents want to see educators paid. Their retirement is through the roof, some retire on 100,000 a year.

These are just questions I have about this country going back to a natural market. We are 1/2 way there with the credit market people are paying cash, is it a good thing that credit companies might go out of business because people are making better decisions?.

We saw the same thing with more and more Americans opting out of paying health insurance because it was an inferior product, now the government is making us pay them.

Aren't food stamps a way of making us pay grocery stores?

The only way to lower the cost of living is to go back to a natural market and economy.

Blaming the poor gets us nowhere, if we had less on assistance it would be easier to spot the abusers.

We don't know what to ask the government to do because we don't think about it enough, we just want them to fix it so we can be happy.

• Like 1

I simply can not find any articles were there are numbers on the kind of abuse you are describing. There are a handful of articles describing massive fraud.

I think we are in a bind with social services and that is adding thousands to government payroll to investigate.

I still say the number one cause is people not making enough money and not able to control their spending habits. These problems seem to be passed from generation to generation.

Abuse makes us all angry, but I am not prepared to completely stop assistance because of it.

We have got to find a way to make it work, I am not sure what we do about the cost of living being so high in this country.

When I say cost of living I am talking a minimum for shelter utility and food.

We live in a county were the challenges are even higher because of transportation needs.

I think we would be better off if more businesses using minimum wage offered full time work. We could get a lot of people above the poverty line.

I believe in solving the problem rather than railing against.

The higher the cost of living goes the more bogged down our economy becomes because it is so dependent on consumerism of goods.

I would be curious see what would happen if food stamps were stopped, would we be charged to make up the loss of income at the grocery stores. If section 8 were stopped would the cost of rentals go up? We are being forced to make sure land lords get their asking price for rent.

The same goes for higher education, we are being forced to meet what the regents want to see educators paid. Their retirement is through the roof, some retire on 100,000 a year.

These are just questions I have about this country going back to a natural market. We are 1/2 way there with the credit market people are paying cash, is it a good thing that credit companies might go out of business because people are making better decisions?.

We saw the same thing with more and more Americans opting out of paying health insurance because it was an inferior product, now the government is making us pay them.

Aren't food stamps a way of making us pay grocery stores?

The only way to lower the cost of living is to go back to a natural market and economy.

Blaming the poor gets us nowhere, if we had less on assistance it would be easier to spot the abusers.

We don't know what to ask the government to do because we don't think about it enough, we just want them to fix it so we can be happy.

That one statement is what I was talking about. There are thing that the individual needs to do before going to the gvt (aka the tax payers) with their hand out. Fall back and consolidate on your own. Credit counseling is MANDATORY before bankruptcy. Is it mandatory before going onto gvt assistance. I do not think so but I believe it is NOT. and if it isn't, why not?

That one statement is what I was talking about. There are thing that the individual needs to do before going to the gvt (aka the tax payers) with their hand out. Fall back and consolidate on your own. Credit counseling is MANDATORY before bankruptcy. Is it mandatory before going onto gvt assistance. I do not think so but I believe it is NOT. and if it isn't, why not?

Education would go a long way in solving many of our social problems, I don't think it will ever happen, cause when kids come home and point out that mommy and daddy's behavior whether it is social or financial is wrong because they learned it in school, there will be riots.

Sometimes spending is an emotional problem also.

I don't think that there is much of any kind of aid for adults without children other than SS.

We do it for the kids, the innocent victims, it is a band-aid unless we treat the cause.

We simply are not demanding practical problem solving of many of our problems. The average person only has their vote, and we are constantly lied to.

Companies that build huge section 8 apartment complexes have a lot more power with the government than we do.

I actually do do that. I am still waiting (after the interview, email a thank you note, follow up in a few days, then follow up once again in the next few days). I have been unemployed since March. And now it is imperative I get a job. I don't get unemployment, I don't get food stamps or any of that because I live with my folks (again, oh and they don't pay for my food either), don't get any assistance, and now if I don't get something within the next week, I won't even be able to make it to interviews cause of the no money part. So if anyone knows anyone, please let me know.

Have you tried calling some temp agencies or head hunter services?

I have rarely seen someone turned down for a job if they are really willing to work.

It might not be what you want, but it's a paycheck, which is better than nothing.

Where did I say anything about welfare recipients owning vehicles like that?

I didn't.

But even so, there are MANY people who have been out of work for a long time and are complaining about their

money situation... yet they are driving vehicles, like this, still paying for other luxuries that

can be done without. The point is that there are many things you have sacrifice FIRST before you can

even be serious about asking for help.

It also seems that if you have more than limited experience (more than one or two years) they don't want to look at you. Got 15 years experience in a particular field? Forget getting a job in it. Employers figure 1) you're too old and 2) you cost too much.

I even saw an ad yesterday in the AJC that said MAXIMUM three years experience. WTF??

Many in my generation are in a catch 22. Everyone wants experience and we can't get it unless we are hired, however we need it to be hired. For instance, I have administrative, receptionist/secretary, customer service skills. I am trying to get into a position that uses those particular skills but everyone wants experience in that whatever field their business resides in. For example, Administrative Assistant for flooring place, or for a law office, or for a doctor's office, so on and so forth. But unless you have experience in the flooring community, or the law community, or medical community, they will never look at you.

Please explain how one gets a job in those cases. Before you say go get a job at a retail store or grocery store, they always respond with you are over-qualified.

From the ads I saw that required Excel skills it did not state whether you needed beginner, intermediate or advanced skills. Just "knowledge". I certainly don't qualify as having advanced skills in it.

I can't tell you how many ads I have seen that are vague. Some to the point that you're not sure what they want, what they expect, what the pay would be, what the hours would be or where it's located. And yes, it is a waste of their time and mine. I responded to one ad that was actually quite detailed except for one minor omission--the location. Considering the place I saw the ad, I made the assumption that it was Cobb County. I was called in for an interview. Turned out it was north of Canton, going toward Ellijay. Had they mentioned this in their ad, it would have saved me, and probably countless others not to mention the employer, a lot of time and trouble.

Having people who are not qualified sending resumes and applying for job postings is just something an employer has to expect. When we were looking to hire we had firm requirements that we needed filled. I can't tell you how many people responded who had no idea what we were talking about. "Must know AutoCad" brought out those who touted their experience on Microsoft Paint or Picture Manager. "Must be willing to travel 3-4 days a week every week" brought out those who had not been out of the state or Georgia or who had children they were the only parent for (and NO, we did not ask them about this, they volunteered the information). "Must be mechanically inclined" brought out those who had put brakes on their car. Once. Then there were the ones who responded with a long list of THEIR requirements.

How is it asking to have it both ways when you say "1 year of commercial HVAC repair required" and you get a resume from a person who has never set foot from behind the counter at McDonald's? I'm sorry but people should have the brains enough to determine if they have basic or extremely advanced skills at Excel. If the employer is writing vague ad's that is one thing but if they aren't then it's just a waste of your time and theirs.

Good luck getting that much cash out of your vehicle, what you described is your reality.

Horse crap again! If I owned a $35,000 vehicle and it's a year or two old, I can EASILY get $29,000,

give or take a few thousand, out of it. If you can't, you're not very bright.

See the thread above where Mr. Dis stated that he got $28,000 for a vehicle he paid $33,000 for...

Please share with everyone were you can get a car loan with out showing proof of income.

Please share with everyone where I said ANYTHING about getting a car loan?

If you'd read what was said, instead of trying to turn it around...

I said that these people with these high dollar vehicles and NO MONEY,

can sell their vehicle and purchase another reliable used vehicle of less money.

For some reason, people think they can't survive without a nice vehicle.

There are plenty of low budget, reliable vehicles out there, that get pretty decent fuel mileage.

If you're not willing to give up for $30,000+ vehicle and drive a $2500 vehicle until you can

get back on your feet, don't whine to me about not having money.

First off, I have NEVER said nobody was worthy of assistance. However, just like many other things,

the government taking my money and other people's money and giving to others, is flat out wrong.

That's not a tax... that's social redistribution. I have absolutely NO problem with charity and I

donate to charity ALL the time. But, the government is NOT the correct means to receive these types of benefits.

There are charitable organizations that help people through these types of situations... but people are more reliant on

government than the organizations in place to help them. I will help someone all day long, but I don't want the

government FORCING me to do it. Remember the old saying, "give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day... teach him to fish and he'll eat for a lifetime." The reason he'll eat for a day is because he will grow to expect you to feed him and will never learn to fish for himself....especially if his prior job wasn't fishing.

From the ads I saw that required Excel skills it did not state whether you needed beginner, intermediate or advanced skills. Just "knowledge". I certainly don't qualify as having advanced skills in it.

I can't tell you how many ads I have seen that are vague. Some to the point that you're not sure what they want, what they expect, what the pay would be, what the hours would be or where it's located. And yes, it is a waste of their time and mine. I responded to one ad that was actually quite detailed except for one minor omission--the location. Considering the place I saw the ad, I made the assumption that it was Cobb County. I was called in for an interview. Turned out it was north of Canton, going toward Ellijay. Had they mentioned this in their ad, it would have saved me, and probably countless others not to mention the employer, a lot of time and trouble.

Having people who are not qualified sending resumes and applying for job postings is just something an employer has to expect. When we were looking to hire we had firm requirements that we needed filled. I can't tell you how many people responded who had no idea what we were talking about. "Must know AutoCad" brought out those who touted their experience on Microsoft Paint or Picture Manager. "Must be willing to travel 3-4 days a week every week" brought out those who had not been out of the state or Georgia or who had children they were the only parent for (and NO, we did not ask them about this, they volunteered the information). "Must be mechanically inclined" brought out those who had put brakes on their car. Once. Then there were the ones who responded with a long list of THEIR requirements.

Oh I loved those who were giving me the stipulations before I even offered them an interview! LOL One who wasn't even remotely qualified put in their cover letter that I needed to send them a handbook with vacation and sick policy before they could discuss and interview. To say the least, they never had the opportunity to discuss it... :rofl:

I believe most job hunting experts and assistants tell you to send in your resume whether you meet the minimum

requirements or not, because a lot of employers will put the top level skills they would like to have and not necessarily

what they need. The Department of Labor will tell you this also.

What you described with the AutoCAD and such is one of the problems.

People see a job and that it pays well... and they unrealistically think they have potential to get

a job with no education or skill in that arena. A lot of people either have no common sense

or too much pride to start at the bottom. They want to start out making $50,000/yr and for a

lot of jobs these days, that is just unrealistic... no matter how much skill and experience you have.

We actually had an employee who tried to tell us what we would do for him. He was not to be expected to work every day if he wasn't on the road traveling. Nooooo. That was his free time to do with as he pleased. He was not to be expected to bring a lunch if necessary during the work day (never mind he lived next door!). He wasn't to be expected to write reports even though that was discussed prior to hiring him.

I'd actually forgotten some of the stuff he tried to pull until earlier today when I started shredding information regarding his employment with us. Let's just say :wacko:

Oh I loved those who were giving me the stipulations before I even offered them an interview! LOL One who wasn't even remotely qualified put in their cover letter that I needed to send them a handbook with vacation and sick policy before they could discuss and interview. To say the least, they never had the opportunity to discuss it... :rofl:

...and they wonder why nobody wants to hire them!

If I go in to an interview and I am firm about what I can do for you.

If I am currently out of work, I could care less what my vacation and sick time allowances are...

My first and foremost concern is to get you to give me a job...

My next concern is to make you not worry about if you made the correct decision in hiring me.

I work my ass off and prove to you that you made a good hire and have a loyal employee and

that I am bringing home a paycheck that will help keep my head above water.

All other things are secondary in nature.

Edited by Nitro

I'm not the person you responded to but I'll answer. Yes, I have tried temp agencies. Several different ones. I was ready, willing and able to work and the BEST response I got from any of them was "call us at least twice a week to see if we have anything for you". After two months of that, I stopped calling them.

Thank goodness I'm no longer looking for a job here. :yahoo:

Have you tried calling some temp agencies or head hunter services?

I have rarely seen someone turned down for a job if they are really willing to work.

It might not be what you want, but it's a paycheck, which is better than nothing.

I agree 100%. Just let me have the job and you won't be sorry.

Thought it was funny when several of the places I interviewed and was the "second choice" have once again had the job listed. Some of them have had it posted three times since my interview. They should have hired ME. :good:

...and they wonder why nobody wants to hire them!

If I go in to an interview and I am firm about what I can do for you.

If I am currently out of work, I could care less what my vacation and sick time allowances are...

My first and foremost concern is to get you to give me a job...

My next concern is to make you not worry about if you made the correct decision in hiring me.

I work my ass off and prove to you that you made a good hire and have a loyal employee and

that I am bringing home a paycheck that will help keep my head above water.

All other things are secondary in nature.

I'm not the person you responded to but I'll answer. Yes, I have tried temp agencies. Several different ones. I was ready, willing and able to work and the BEST response I got from any of them was "call us at least twice a week to see if we have anything for you". After two months of that, I stopped calling them.

Thank goodness I'm no longer looking for a job here. :yahoo:

Are you calling the correct type of temp agency?

Some deal only with technical, others deal with only 'blue collar', etc.

Not directed at you... just adding to what I've stated...

My wife runs one of these places and she's telling me all the time she can't get people to work.

Like I said before, people will refuse work because it's not what they want.

My wife offers warehouse work to people all of the time, making $12/hr.

She gets refused because they are holding out of an office job that pays better.

It's quite obvious these people are not too concerned about surviving.

I know this isn't the case with everyone... but it is the case with a LOT of them.

People like that do not deserve assistance.

Edited by Nitro

All of the temp agencies I contacted had posted jobs that I was qualified for and I responded to those ads. I followed up with the agencies as well.

The ONLY job I refused was one doing telemarketing. The whole thing sounded fishy, at best. You weren't an employee, got paid barely minimum wage, they LIED about what the job involved and then they changed the hours they wanted me to work. Those were the least fishy things, too!

Like I said, SOOO happy not to be looking for a job here anymore.

My wife runs one of these places and she's telling me all the time she can't get people to work.

She gets refused because they are holding out of an office job that pays better.

I know this isn't the case with everyone... but it is the case with a LOT of them.

so would she hire middle age women who have never set foot in a warehouse?

• Like 1

Horse crap again! If I owned a $35,000 vehicle and it's a year or two old, I can EASILY get $29,000,

give or take a few thousand, out of it. If you can't, you're not very bright.

See the thread above where Mr. Dis stated that he got $28,000 for a vehicle he paid $33,000 for...

Please share with everyone where I said ANYTHING about getting a car loan?

If you'd read what was said, instead of trying to turn it around...

I said that these people with these high dollar vehicles and NO MONEY,

can sell their vehicle and purchase another reliable used vehicle of less money.

For some reason, people think they can't survive without a nice vehicle.

There are plenty of low budget, reliable vehicles out there, that get pretty decent fuel mileage.

If you're not willing to give up for $30,000+ vehicle and drive a $2500 vehicle until you can

get back on your feet, don't whine to me about not having money.

First off, I have NEVER said nobody was worthy of assistance. However, just like many other things,

the government taking my money and other people's money and giving to others, is flat out wrong.

That's not a tax... that's social redistribution. I have absolutely NO problem with charity and I

donate to charity ALL the time. But, the government is NOT the correct means to receive these types of benefits.

There are charitable organizations that help people through these types of situations... but people are more reliant on

government than the organizations in place to help them. I will help someone all day long, but I don't want the

government FORCING me to do it. Remember the old saying, "give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day... teach him to fish and he'll eat for a lifetime." The reason he'll eat for a day is because he will grow to expect you to feed him and will never learn to fish for himself....especially if his prior job wasn't fishing.

Just how many families do you think a church can float in a year? Cancer treatments are running into the hundreds of thousands of dollars.Even when a spouse works it is not enough to usually cover child care and the bills these people are behind on and may never catch up. Non-profits are turning away the truly needy all the time.

Your not going to exist without assistance in this country for any less 1200 a month. This means it takes 300 dollars a week to exist.

I think people are so unrealistic about what it cost to survive in this economy. The claims that people are blowing their money are sound good but plenty are not, they have illness they have bills, their landlord lets their rental go back to the bank and they don't have the down payment for another place. Nobody ask to be laid off.

It is simply beyond the means of those willing to give to give enough to meet the needs of all those that need help.

You are right that we should not have to help so many, things should be affordable, but they are not, jobs should pay better but they do not.

We get very little value out of the money we spend on section 8, food stamps, and medical care because providers raise the cost every chance they get, in other words it is not so much the poor taking advantage of us but the providers to the social system.

It serves them well that we condemn and hate the needy instead of scrutinizing them.

I also donate to charities and help with at least one fundraiser a year, do you even have a clue how much money that people too sick with cancer require just keep a roof over their heads while they go through months of expensive treatments.

The people and businesses in this community give and give over and over through out the year to help so many that have fallen on hard times. Even with all the giving it is not enough and there are plenty that don't get help, I can not even imagine what would happen to many of these people without the social programs that give them a roof, food, and medical assistance.

We never have conversations about thank goodness they got help, thank goodness doctors and hospitals can't turn them out to die.

My problem is I see the ones in true need, I don't focus on who is taking advantage.

I don't think you are very realistic about people giving enough to charities to help everyone that needs it.

Just so you know most of the poor can not afford to keep 2300 dollar cars running, as far as I am concerned it comes out about the same to pay the note on the good car as long as you can instead of the paying the difference to keep a junker running.

• Like 2

Your not going to exist without assistance in this country for any less 1200 a month. This means it takes 300 dollars a week to exist.

Bullcheeze! I've done it and so have many other people.

Because YOU can't find the discipline to make it happen doesn't mean it can't happen.

It is simply beyond the means of those willing to give to give enough to meet the needs of all those that need help.

It wouldn't be if you'd take the government out of the picture!

Stop taxing the hell out of people and giving it to the lazy and let the people CHOOSE what charity to give their money too

and the people who TRULY need it will be provided for...

We get very little value out of the money we spend on section 8, food stamps, and medical care because providers raise the cost every chance they get, in other words it is not so much the poor taking advantage of us but the providers to the social system.

The providers raise the cost to us because of the people who take advantage of the system!

I also donate to charities and help with at least one fundraiser a year, do you even have a clue how much money that people too sick with cancer require just keep a roof over their heads while they go through months of expensive treatments.

You're damn right I know. My mother fought cancer. Guess what, she didn't ask for government assistance.

You know what? She worked for what she has and she and my father didn't live high on the hog all their lives.

The saved and saved... My father made a pretty decent living... but guess what? When he got home, he worked at home to make more

money. You know what he did with that money? He saved it. It made sure that, no matter what, his family would be provided for,

no matter what the circumstance. He made sure he had insurance that covered my mom, when she had her chemo and radiation treatments.

Not one damn dime came from government assistance... ya know why? Because he's a responsible person who took care of himself and his family.

We never have conversations about thank goodness they got help, thank goodness doctors and hospitals can't turn them out to die.

My problem is I see the ones in true need, I don't focus on who is taking advantage.

That's the problem with most people. There are FAR more people who are milking the system than actually need the help.

If we stopped funding people who are milking the system, there would be PLENTY to go around.

Think about this... we aren't just funding OUR system. Think of the BILLIONS of dollars sent to other countries for aid.

Why in the HELL are we doing this when we have so many people here that need assistance?

Take 1 BILLION dollars. Divide that by the number of people who TRULY need assistance... That number is staggering at how much we

could be helping our own people.

You take all that money we send to other coutries and divide it by the 311 million people in the US and that's a pretty damn good return to

every single persons pocket. When you let people keep their money, more of that money will be put "correctly" back in to the economy and

more jobs are created... people are more generous and more people donate to charity. Even churches prosper more, which in turn allows

them to aid the people who truly need it. Private charities generally do a MUCH better job of determining who they give aid too than

the government does.... as with most things, private industry does a better job than the government.

Just so you know most of the poor can not afford to keep 2300 dollar cars running, as far as I am concerned it comes out about the same to pay the note on the good car as long as you can instead of the paying the difference to keep a junker running.

Why do you keep eluding to "junker" vehicles. There are PLENTY reliable vehicles out there for $2500-$3000.

To keep the running? You are assuming they are buying junk vehicles. Just because a vehicle doesn't cost much

doesn't mean it's junk and requires a lot of maintenance. My personal vehicle that is sitting in my driveway

is a '91 with 290,000 miles on it and I wouldn't have a single reservation about jumping it in right now and drive it across

the country and back. Calling a used, older vehicle a "junker" is really silly... there's plenty of used vehicles out

there that I would trust more than some of the newer ones.

Bullcheeze! I've done it and so have many other people.

Because YOU can't find the discipline to make it happen doesn't mean it can't happen.

It wouldn't be if you'd take the government out of the picture!

Stop taxing the hell out of people and giving it to the lazy and let the people CHOOSE what charity to give their money too

and the people who TRULY need it will be provided for...

The providers raise the cost to us because of the people who take advantage of the system!

You're damn right I know. My mother fought cancer. Guess what, she didn't ask for government assistance.

You know what? She worked for what she has and she and my father didn't live high on the hog all their lives.

The saved and saved... My father made a pretty decent living... but guess what? When he got home, he worked at home to make more

money. You know what he did with that money? He saved it. It made sure that, no matter what, his family would be provided for,

no matter what the circumstance. He made sure he had insurance that covered my mom, when she had her chemo and radiation treatments.

Not one damn dime came from government assistance... ya know why? Because he's a responsible person who took care of himself and his family.

That's the problem with most people. There are FAR more people who are milking the system than actually need the help.

If we stopped funding people who are milking the system, there would be PLENTY to go around.

Think about this... we aren't just funding OUR system. Think of the BILLIONS of dollars sent to other countries for aid.

Why in the HELL are we doing this when we have so many people here that need assistance?

Take 1 BILLION dollars. Divide that by the number of people who TRULY need assistance... That number is staggering at how much we

could be helping our own people.

You take all that money we send to other coutries and divide it by the 311 million people in the US and that's a pretty damn good return to

every single persons pocket. When you let people keep their money, more of that money will be put "correctly" back in to the economy and

more jobs are created... people are more generous and more people donate to charity. Even churches prosper more, which in turn allows

them to aid the people who truly need it. Private charities generally do a MUCH better job of determining who they give aid too than

the government does.... as with most things, private industry does a better job than the government.

Why do you keep eluding to "junker" vehicles. There are PLENTY reliable vehicles out there for $2500-$3000.

To keep the running? You are assuming they are buying junk vehicles. Just because a vehicle doesn't cost much

doesn't mean it's junk and requires a lot of maintenance. My personal vehicle that is sitting in my driveway

is a '91 with 290,000 miles on it and I wouldn't have a single reservation about jumping it in right now and drive it across

the country and back. Calling a used, older vehicle a "junker" is really silly... there's plenty of used vehicles out

there that I would trust more than some of the newer ones.

I think we should just agree to disagree, you compare everything to your life and your personal experiences. You are doing a great job of justifying your argument based on your personal life experiences.

I have had very different experiences, I have not had to try and make it on 1200 a month, the difference is I thank God every day that I am not in that situation. I am not going to reveal my personal life to make a point to you. I will say that I know many people from different walks of life and many situations most of the time I simply say but for the grace of God there go I.

I help as much as possible in community, I give a lot of my free time to helping small business, I am not paid for those hours, I am rewarded by sharing the things that have made myself and other businesses successful, I bring the successful businesses together to help others.

There was a time when people lived differently and did much better handling money.

We simply can not turn our backs on innocent children and sick people.

We know that health insurance is beyond the means of the working poor.

We will always have the poor with us, the question is what poverty should look like and feel like, society is divided on that issue.

I am just not ready to see people die to teach others a lesson. I am angry at the abusers, but I don't know how to stop it other than setting an example of letting people die to stop the behaviors that put many into poverty.

Sometimes that behavior is a simple as a women leaving an abusive relationship with her children, or a man walking away from a pregnant girl.

I just know I don't want to see the kind of poverty that I see in third world countries were people that want to work or they do work and still they die from hunger, disease, and exposure while the leaders of their countries live lavishly. I worry that we are headed in that direction.

Why do you think the Mexican people risk death to get here, we are regressing and they are an example of what we are regressing to.

We have people in this country working every day as hard as they are capable of working that are getting further and further behind. Many are not putting aside money because they can't and still live.

My father is 72 and has had leukemia for 10 years, He collects his SS and a small pension and he still works when he is in remission to pay his supplemental insurance and co-pays.

I know he will soon be getting behind if he does not go into remission and start working again.

If not for social security and medicare my dad would have long since been dead, I guess people see him as drain on the system, why should medicare pay for 100's of thousands of dollars in treatment just to keep an old man alive. Were do we stop when we start deciding who is a burden?

For every abuser there are thousands that paid into the system and are now being treated like lazy blood suckers, when they are in need.

PS, just how long ago was it that you tried to live on 1200 a month? Families can not survive on that.

• Like 2

I think we should just agree to disagree, you compare everything to your life and your personal experiences. You are doing a great job of justifying your argument based on your personal life experiences.

No, I don't compare everything to my life. I compare a lot of things to my life and what I have experienced as well as those

around me who've had the same attitude. Without the attitude of surviving and doing anything within legal means to support

myself and my family, that's where a lot of people fail. They simply do not have that attitude.

I have not had to try and make it on 1200 a month, the difference is I thank God every day that I am not in that situation.

If you haven't been there... how can you say that it can't be done?

I will do ANYTHING (legally) to ensure my family is fed, clothed, and have a roof over their head.

ANYTHING else is a luxury. It's hard and it's rough, but you have to have the attitude that hard work

and the right attitude will bring you through it. You have to plan for the unexpected and be ready for

when it happens. Too many people live life and never plan for the unexpected and never have anything for

when trouble occurs.

There was a time when people lived differently and did much better handling money.

Yeah, people weren't spoiled.

We simply can not turn our backs on innocent children and sick people.

I have NEVER said we should.

We will always have the poor with us, the question is what poverty should look like and feel like, society is divided on that issue.

There's a reason for that. It's the way the world works.

If everyone were rich, there would be nobody to do anything. Nothing would be invented,

no research would happen. Everyone would be fat, dumb, and happy and the world simply could not function.

There are classes of wealth, just like there are animal classes of the food chain. You CANNOT change that... EVER.

It exists in ALL societies.

I am just not ready to see people die to teach others a lesson. I am angry at the abusers, but I don't know how to stop it other than setting an example of letting people die to stop the behaviors that put many into poverty.

Seriously? How about voting for people to take public office that are truly concerned about cleaning up the problem?

How many times have you called your representative(s) to tell them you are displeased with something they or any other body of government has done?

I can tell you this... the majority of people DO NOT. That is why politicians run so much crap past....and the citizenry are by and large too stupid

to know the difference or simply don't care... but yet are the ones to bitch and moan the loudest.

I just know I don't want to see the kind of poverty that I see in third world countries were people that want to work or they do work and still they die from hunger, disease, and exposure while the leaders of their countries live lavishly.

I worry that we are headed in that direction.

Well, we are headed that way if people don't wake up and start holding politicians accountable for their actions.

PS, just how long ago was it that you tried to live on 1200 a month? Families can not survive on that.

About 8 years ago... and yes, they can. My family survived on quite a bit less than that.

It was hard as hell... we ate a lot of Ramen noodles! We drank water.

We didn't go to the movies or out to eat. We had our own garden.

My father instilled in me that I am solely responsible for myself and my family.

And like him, I will do ANYTHING (legal) to make sure my family survives.

I did... others have done it... and ANYONE can do it if they have the ambition and will to do so.

Edited by Nitro
  • Like 2

Just how many families do you think a church can float in a year? Cancer treatments are running into the hundreds of thousands of dollars.Even when a spouse works it is not enough to usually cover child care and the bills these people are behind on and may never catch up. Non-profits are turning away the truly needy all the time.

I think people are so unrealistic about what it cost to survive in this economy. The claims that people are blowing their money are sound good but plenty are not, they have illness they have bills, their landlord lets their rental go back to the bank and they don't have the down payment for another place. Nobody ask to be laid off.

You are right that we should not have to help so many, things should be affordable, but they are not, jobs should pay better but they do not.

It serves them well that we condemn and hate the needy instead of scrutinizing them.

The people and businesses in this community give and give over and over through out the year to help so many that have fallen on hard times. Even with all the giving it is not enough and there are plenty that don't get help, I can not even imagine what would happen to many of these people without the social programs that give them a roof, food, and medical assistance.

I don't think you are very realistic about people giving enough to charities to help everyone that needs it.

Darn good post Missy!!!! +100 :clapping: :clapping: