Paulding.com

Food Stamps

Why the first? EBT cards load at different times of the month, anything from the 5th of the month to the 23rd of the month, depending on the last two digits of the Social Security number of the person receiving the benefits.

I go to Food Depot in Lithia Springs a couple of times a month and I can tell when the EBT cards have been loaded.

My question too. The first of the month has nothing to do with people using food stamps and it doesn't take any longer to use an EBT card than it does to use a regular debit card. And unless you're a nosey-rosey, you wouldn't notice anyway. I don't make my business to scrutinize the form of payment of the person in front of me.

• Like 1
  • Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

People definaty abuse the system. But for example, while pregnant with my daughter I qualified for Medicaid. I also qualified for WIC I was the only source of income for a family of 3 about to be four

And just where are all these jobs people are hiding from just to get govt. aid? You can't have it both ways, complain in one topic about there being NO jobs because of Obama and then gripe in another

I did not give up my 2 2003 paid for vehicles because we needed transportation. I guess I could have sold them to get a really beater car, but I needed reliable transportation to get to and from work

People definaty abuse the system. But for example, while pregnant with my daughter I qualified for Medicaid. I also qualified for WIC I was the only source of income for a family of 3 about to be four. You would see me wearing my diamond wedding and engagement ring, using my iPhone, and driving an suv. My ring and car were paid for before we were in that situation. My inlaws bought me an iPhone as a gift and paid for our cell phone and cable bill while my husband was out of work. I was always embarrassed every time I had to seperate out my WIC purchases or present my Medicaid insurance card. We were on those benefits for about a year. I used my last WIC check last month and we will be on my husbands new insurance as of dec. my company doesn't offer insurance. And for the record I have been a productive tax paying citizen for 15 out of my 16 working years. I drew unemployment for a year a couple years ago. There are plenty of people using the benefits as intended, but they get lumped in with the abusers.

Edited by STRAWMAN
  • Like 7

I rarely notice what form of payment but do notice a difference in the crowd near the times the cards load. That goes double for that particular Food Depot. The shoppers change in demographics and buying habits.

My question too. The first of the month has nothing to do with people using food stamps and it doesn't take any longer to use an EBT card than it does to use a regular debit card. And unless you're a nosey-rosey, you wouldn't notice anyway. I don't make my business to scrutinize the form of payment of the person in front of me.

People definaty abuse the system. But for example, while pregnant with my daughter I qualified for Medicaid. I also qualified for WIC I was the only source of income for a family of 3 about to be four. You would see me wearing my diamond wedding and engagement ring, using my iPhone, and driving an suv. My ring and car were paid for before we were in that situation. My inland bought me an iPhone as a gift and paid for our cell phone and cable bill while my husband was out of work. I was always embarrassed every time I had to seperate out my WIC purchases or present my Medicaid insurance card. We were on those benefits for about a year. I used my last WIC check last month and we will be on my husbands new insurance as of dec. my company doesn't offer insurance. And for the record I have been a productive tax paying citizen for 15 out of my 16 working years. I drew unemployment for a year a couple years ago. There ate plenty of people using the benefits as intended, but they get lumped in with the abusers.

Nobody abuses people, and lays guilt trips on them, as much as the rich, whom Warren Buffett said this about:

“There’s class warfare, all right,” Mr. Buffett said, “but it’s my class, the rich class, that’s making war, and we’re winning.”

People definaty abuse the system. But for example, while pregnant with my daughter I qualified for Medicaid. I also qualified for WIC I was the only source of income for a family of 3 about to be four. You would see me wearing my diamond wedding and engagement ring, using my iPhone, and driving an suv. My ring and car were paid for before we were in that situation. My inlaws bought me an iPhone as a gift and paid for our cell phone and cable bill while my husband was out of work. I was always embarrassed every time I had to seperate out my WIC purchases or present my Medicaid insurance card. We were on those benefits for about a year. I used my last WIC check last month and we will be on my husbands new insurance as of dec. my company doesn't offer insurance. And for the record I have been a productive tax paying citizen for 15 out of my 16 working years. I drew unemployment for a year a couple years ago. There are plenty of people using the benefits as intended, but they get lumped in with the abusers.

But it's so much easier for people to judge you than to know the real story. You shouldn't have to pawn your wedding rings or sell a paid for vehicle while you are trying to get back on your feet and it's ridiculous for people to think you should. It sickens me that so many have the 'oh, their deadbeats and leaches', attitude. Until you walk in someone elses shoes, judgement and selfishness should be kept in your pocket or under your hat.

Good luck to you and your family.

Edited by momof 3
  • Like 5

But it's so much easier for people to judge you than to know the real story. You shouldn't have to pawn your wedding rings or sell a paid for vehicle while you are trying to get back on your feet and it's ridiculous for people to think you should. It sickens that so many have the 'oh, their deadbeats and leaches', attitude. Until you walk in someone elses shoes, judgement and selfishness should be kept in your pocket or under your hat.

Good luck to you and your family.

Thank you, add me to the list of people who have used Medicaid and wic while driving a nice car. I was in a car accident when I was 18 and was severly injured, I got money from that accident and bought a car. A year later I was pregnant, and had no health insurance. I worked the entire time I was pregnant, and Went back to work at 6 weeks later. After my year of Medicaid was up, I went to reapply. I was turned down because owned my car. I'm sure there are plenty of people abusing the system, but you won't catch me at the store staring at people while they make their payment. It never occurred to me to do so. Regardless of their "demographic".

• Like 2

Thank you, add me to the list of people who have used Medicaid and wic while driving a nice car. I was in a car accident when I was 18 and was severly injured, I got money from that accident and bought a car. A year later I was pregnant, and had no health insurance. I worked the entire time I was pregnant, and Went back to work at 6 weeks later. After my year of Medicaid was up, I went to reapply. I was turned down because owned my car. I'm sure there are plenty of people abusing the system, but you won't catch me at the store staring at people while they make their payment. It never occurred to me to do so. Regardless of their "demographic".

+100 :clapping:

• Like 1

I don't stare while they pay for their groceries. I DO notice a difference in the demographics of that particular store on days the cards load. PERIOD. There is a difference. It's no more "staring" at them than it is to see so many seniors at Kroger on Wednesday or families with children on a night a restaurant does a "kids eat free" night. It's just you do notice the difference in the people and what they buy. You can't help but notice a different pattern. I mean really, a whole buggy of meat?

You won't catch me looking down my nose at ANYONE. I've been there. Owned too much to get help but I've been there. Might be there again, who knows. I don't care how anyone pays for their groceries. I just want to make sure that kids have nutritious food. Yes, there are those who abuse it but there are many who don't and could use more help than they can get.

[/q

you have to separate everything? That's pretty stupid. you would think the IT dept would figure that out by now.

When my daughter was on WIC she had to do that. The cashiers have to compare the items you got with the vouchers to make sure they match. For instance, you might get a voucher for an 8 oz block of cheese. I can't remember but I think it restricts the brands you can buy. The cashier has to make sure you're getting what the voucher is for and not something that the voucher does not cover. WIC differs from food stamps in that the type of item is specified, and often to specific brand and form.

you have to separate everything? That's pretty stupid. you would think the IT dept would figure that out by now.

I LOVE their beef roast. And ALWAYS $3.54 a pound, plus the 10%. I used to get it at Ingles but they don't seem to have it on sale any longer. I don't care for the chicken at Food Depot though. Love their beef!

:lol:

That would be me at Food Depot. Meat and produce is all I buy there.

If you are living off the government then thank them for keeping you a float.

Otherwise you might be on the street.

Also read some history on what the government did to get the country back on track.

Now if you are living on the government dime. Take the time an educate your self to be a smarter an better educated person. To enable your self to get that job that needs a smarter worker.

Or sit on your ass and let other people support you.

The point is 1 out of 7 people are collecting food stamps is not a good sign for the economy at all. 12.8 million people are unemployed in this country. Last month, only 80,000 new jobs were created. Experts say it would take 250,000 new jobs created each month to begin rapidly bringing down unemployment.

Another 11 million people are underemployed. Obama said on the campaign trail in '08, he would cut the $1 trillion deficit in half during this term of office. That hasn't happened. Our national debt has also increased another $5 trillion during this current administration. That's more than all previous presidents combined.

This country is not better off than it was 4 years ago. It's worse.

• Like 3

It's funny, when I tried to get on Medicaid a few years back I was denied because I made too much money. At the time, I was a single mom, going to school full-time (nursing school was 40 hours/week), and working part-time (waiting tables 2 nights a week). I was not getting child support from my ex at that time and was paying daycare expenses also. I cried and begged to get approved because I knew that one illness or injury would wipe me out financially and just wanted the coverage if needed--I wouldn't have time to go to the doctor for non-emergent issues anyway! My son was approved for Wellcare but I was told that it would be easier to get approved if I got pregnant. I politely told her that I wasn't that stupid to do something that extreme. I wasn't trying for food stamps or daycare assistance or TANF (temporary assistance for needy families) or even WIC, but I wouldn't have qualified for those anyway. I wound up having to cash out my 401k from my previous job just to have money to survive on. It's amazing how easily some are approved while some, who legitimately need the help, aren't. I applied twice and was denied both times. Fortunately, I made it through, graduated with high honors, love my profession, my son is healthy and thriving, and am much better off than I was at that time. :)

• Like 2

I understand your point. But did you ever stop to think that maybe they had their cars and jewelry before they got to the point where they needed to get food stamps?

Hmmm let's see now. Food stamps vs

1. Selling Bling to pay bills

2. Selling Escalade and getting small fuel efficient vehicle that saves gas and could actually put more money in your pocket

3. Not leasing big SUV and leasing a smaller vehicle

I'm sorry that you feel you should not have to give up your luxury items but you still should have the personal responsibility to do everything possible before you go on gvt assistance.

We gave up the Tahoe for a Malibu and I got an extra job (job #3 for me) when my wife lost her job. I thought about selling some of our jewelry to help but I used the emergency access to my 401k instead. I had put money aside and that is what got us through. We did get unemployment but never food stamps. We cut way back and worked harder to make ends meet. It was a very hard year but we made it. And I do see a difference between an employer funded program and a tax payer funded program.

• Like 2

It's funny, when I tried to get on Medicaid a few years back I was denied because I made too much money. At the time, I was a single mom, going to school full-time (nursing school was 40 hours/week), and working part-time (waiting tables 2 nights a week). I was not getting child support from my ex at that time and was paying daycare expenses also. I cried and begged to get approved because I knew that one illness or injury would wipe me out financially and just wanted the coverage if needed--I wouldn't have time to go to the doctor for non-emergent issues anyway! My son was approved for Wellcare but I was told that it would be easier to get approved if I got pregnant. I politely told her that I wasn't that stupid to do something that extreme. I wasn't trying for food stamps or daycare assistance or TANF (temporary assistance for needy families) or even WIC, but I wouldn't have qualified for those anyway. I wound up having to cash out my 401k from my previous job just to have money to survive on. It's amazing how easily some are approved while some, who legitimately need the help, aren't. I applied twice and was denied both times. Fortunately, I made it through, graduated with high honors, love my profession, my son is healthy and thriving, and am much better off than I was at that time. :)

They only reason that I qualified for Medicaid was because I was pregnant. I found out I was pregnant with my second in 17 months the same month my husband lost his job. That qualified us for Medicaid and WIC. I made to much for non-pregnancy Medicaid, so after I delivered I had no insurance, but the girls qualified for Peachcare. If I hadn't been pregnant we wouldn't have qualified for any assistance. I made too much for food stamps. I also couldn't get daycare assistance because my husband was not working and therefore was home to care for the kids, however if we had gotten assistance he may have been able to go get a job, but as it was he would have had to clear the cost of daycare in his income before it was worth it for him to get a job. THANKFULLY, we saw an end to our economic woes. I am thankful those programs are out there for situations like ours, but I too hate to see the abuse of the system, and believe me, from someone who was on these programs there is PLENTY of abuse. Just sit at the DFAC's office and watch people come in that know exactally how to work the system.

• Like 1

2. Selling Escalade and getting small fuel efficient vehicle that saves gas and could actually put more money in your pocket

I'm sorry that you feel you should not have to give up your luxury items but you still should have the personal responsibility to do everything possible before you go on gvt assistance.

We gave up the Tahoe for a Malibu and I got an extra job (job #3 for me) when my wife lost her job. I thought about selling some of our jewelry to help but I used the emergency access to my 401k instead. I had put money aside and that is what got us through. We did get unemployment but never food stamps. We cut way back and worked harder to make ends meet. It was a very hard year but we made it. And I do see a difference between an employer funded program and a tax payer funded program.

I did not give up my 2 2003 paid for vehicles because we needed transportation. I guess I could have sold them to get a really beater car, but I needed reliable transportation to get to and from work and my husband needed his to get to interviews and take the girls to doctor appointments. I had no 401K savings, that went when I had been out of work a couple years before. The only thing of value I had to sell to avoid govt assistance was my wedding ring set, and I wasn't going to give that up (selfish me). My husband couldn't work part time because it wouldn't have covered child care costs. Just because people aren't doing what you would or did do doesn't mean they are sitting on their ass eating bon bon's collecting govt checks.

• Like 7

I did not give up my 2 2003 paid for vehicles because we needed transportation. I guess I could have sold them to get a really beater car, but I needed reliable transportation to get to and from work and my husband needed his to get to interviews and take the girls to doctor appointments. I had no 401K savings, that went when I had been out of work a couple years before. The only thing of value I had to sell to avoid govt assistance was my wedding ring set, and I wasn't going to give that up (selfish me). My husband couldn't work part time because it wouldn't have covered child care costs. Just because people aren't doing what you would or did do doesn't mean they are sitting on their ass eating bon bon's collecting govt checks.

You're right, it doesn't mean they are sitting on their asses eating bon bon's collecting government checks,

BUT it doesn't mean they are doing ALL they can to survive either.

I have seen time and time again, all these people complaining that they just can't get by and it's all

they can do to survive and pay the bills.

Yet, they still have cable Tv/satellite.

They are paying (or not) for luxury vehicles, when they could sell them

for a vehicle with a lesser payment or a reliable used vehicle.

They still go out to dinner at the steakhouse on Friday nights... or a movie.

They will absolutely not take a job that doesn't pay what they think they are worth...

There are a LOT of people who won't do what it takes and would rather let the government (meaning me and you) pay their

bills, rather do whatever it takes... including giving up some luxuries (or all of them if necessary) to survive.

People will sit at home and doing nothing rather than taking a job at McDonald's to earn a little bit of money.

Then you have the people who say, "Well McDonald's doesn't pay enough to pay your house payment" etc...

That's true...however, it IS income and every little bit helps. People who won't work at McDonald's

or other lower paying jobs, during the tough times, are simply not willing to do whatever it takes to ensure

their family will be provided for...

..and before you say that I'm living in a dream world... I've lived in that "barely surviving state."

But I survived because I took ANY work that I could get. I didn't sit on my ass.

I worked 3 jobs and yes, I even still had time to put in resumes and go to job interviews.

People who say you can't do it are lazy and simply want an excuse for not being responsible and go get'ers.

• Like 2

That sounds like my daughter. She found out she was pregnant with Dru the same month her husband went to pick up his paycheck and found the doors locked and a sign in the window saying they were closed until further notice. And he worked the night before!

I took my daughter to the DFCS office a few months ago for a face-to-face review. I was amazed at some of the vehicles in the parking lot! And also amazed at the pricey strollers some of those moms had. YIKES! I hope they got them at a discount because they weren't cheap ones for sure! But I always told my daughter that just because you were poor didn't mean you had to dress like you were destitute. Maybe these people wore their finest things to DFCS. I don't know. I do know what impression it gave.

They only reason that I qualified for Medicaid was because I was pregnant. I found out I was pregnant with my second in 17 months the same month my husband lost his job. That qualified us for Medicaid and WIC. I made to much for non-pregnancy Medicaid, so after I delivered I had no insurance, but the girls qualified for Peachcare. If I hadn't been pregnant we wouldn't have qualified for any assistance. I made too much for food stamps. I also couldn't get daycare assistance because my husband was not working and therefore was home to care for the kids, however if we had gotten assistance he may have been able to go get a job, but as it was he would have had to clear the cost of daycare in his income before it was worth it for him to get a job. THANKFULLY, we saw an end to our economic woes. I am thankful those programs are out there for situations like ours, but I too hate to see the abuse of the system, and believe me, from someone who was on these programs there is PLENTY of abuse. Just sit at the DFAC's office and watch people come in that know exactally how to work the system.

And just where are all these jobs people are hiding from just to get govt. aid? You can't have it both ways, complain in one topic about there being NO jobs because of Obama and then gripe in another topic that people should take any job available to make ends meet. What jobs? My son-in-law went on a job interview 2 weeks ago and there were 1600 applicants for one truck driver position. Do you really think that the 1599 people that didn't get the job aren't trying?

Government aid doesn't always equal deadbeats and slackers, sure there are abusers and it needs to stop. But when any group of people are lumped together and painted with the same broad brush, it's pathetic and sad that people who know nothing about anyone elses circumstances become so judgmental, so quickly.

• Like 7

My son in law was walking 7 miles one way to work because they didn't have a car. They still didn't qualify for assistance other than Food Stamps because he made too much money, cooking at Waffle House.

They had no home phone, no cable, no satellite, no Internet. If it wasn't available under Food Stamps or I didn't buy it for them, they did not have treats like a hamburger or fries at Burger King. They sold virtually everything they had of value before they asked me to help them out for anything.

It took 2 years to get approved for Medicaid for the youngest, after she was born. For some unknown reason, she was dropped from the program when she was about 2 months old. Her dad was still unemployed at the time. My daughter is unable to work due to a number of diagnoses, so she is a stay-at-home mom. TWO YEARS to get approval for Medicaid for a newborn when there is ZERO income in the household. ZERO. Did you realize it is a whole lot easier to prove that you have some income than it is to prove you have NO income?

Fortunately, my son in law FINALLY found a job last month after being unemployed, this time, since December of last year. It is a minimum wage job and he only works about 30-35 hours a week. BUT it is close enough for him to walk there, he loves the job, there is room for advancement. They will still be eligible for all the assistance they currently have, at least for the time being. I'm not a huge fan of my son in law but I have to hand it to him. He worked his butt off trying to get a job and finally got one. And I must have taught my daughter well because she has been able to stretch any money they had, and the assistance they receive, and kept two little girls and themselves fed and healthy.

They actually had to turn down TANF because they had no car and no childcare available since they would have been required to attend classes four days a week for three weeks out of every four for as long as they received the assistance. The assistance they would have received would not have paid for transportation to the classes and childcare during the classes. No excuses here, just facts.

You're right, it doesn't mean they are sitting on their asses eating bon bon's collecting government checks,

I have seen time and time again, all these people complaining that they just can't get by and it's all

They will absolutely not take a job that doesn't pay what they think they are worth...

There are a LOT of people who won't do what it takes and would rather let the government (meaning me and you) pay their

bills, rather do whatever it takes... including giving up some luxuries (or all of them if necessary) to survive.

People will sit at home and doing nothing rather than taking a job at McDonald's to earn a little bit of money.

Then you have the people who say, "Well McDonald's doesn't pay enough to pay your house payment" etc...

That's true...however, it IS income and every little bit helps. People who won't work at McDonald's

or other lower paying jobs, during the tough times, are simply not willing to do whatever it takes to ensure

..and before you say that I'm living in a dream world... I've lived in that "barely surviving state."

But I survived because I took ANY work that I could get. I didn't sit on my ass.

I worked 3 jobs and yes, I even still had time to put in resumes and go to job interviews.

People who say you can't do it are lazy and simply want an excuse for not being responsible and go get'ers.

I can only speak for myself. We were not paying a car payment because our cars were paid for and it was not logical to sell them for what was a temporary situation,. I mad enough to pay for food, the house payment, gas, electric, water, and trash. We had internet and cable, but my in-laws paid that bill, they also paid our cell phone bill, and our car insurance bill. I was able to differ my student loan for a year (it comes back on line this month). We didn't go out to eat unless someone took us out to eat, or gave us money for a night out (usually from my in-laws because they knew the situation we were in and wanted to help). My in-laws also paid for diapers, wipes, and any child expenses we had that we couldn't meet in a month. My husband could not take a job at McDonalds because it would cost us over $1,000 a month to have 2 children in day care and we had no other child care options. He did look into part time work at night, but that wasn't realistic since he was caring for 2 children under 2 during the day so there would have been no time to sleep. Unless you have been in my exact situation you shouldn't really hand down judgment on what I do for my family to get by.

• Like 3

There are jobs out there. It's just that for every job out there, about 600 applicants are looking for a job. And most of the jobs available don't pay nearly what they did five years ago.

I went to several interviews and was told that they had over 400 resumes submitted. One place said they picked the 10 most qualified to interview. Another said they picked about a half dozen. One told me they lost count how many resumes were submitted.

I agree 1000% with your last statement.

And just where are all these jobs people are hiding from just to get govt. aid? You can't have it both ways, complain in one topic about there being NO jobs because of Obama and then gripe in another topic that people should take any job available to make ends meet. What jobs? My son-in-law went on a job interview 2 weeks ago and there were 1600 applicants for one truck driver position. Do you really think that the 1599 people that didn't get the job aren't trying?

Government aid doesn't always equal deadbeats and slackers, sure there are abusers and it needs to stop. But when any group of people are lumped together and painted with the same broad brush, it's pathetic and sad that people who know nothing about anyone elses circumstances become so judgmental, so quickly.

I can only speak for myself. We were not paying a car payment because our cars were paid for and it was not logical to sell them for what was a temporary situation,. I mad enough to pay for food, the house payment, gas, electric, water, and trash. We had internet and cable, but my in-laws paid that bill, they also paid our cell phone bill, and our car insurance bill. I was able to differ my student loan for a year (it comes back on line this month). We didn't go out to eat unless someone took us out to eat, or gave us money for a night out (usually from my in-laws because they knew the situation we were in and wanted to help). My in-laws also paid for diapers, wipes, and any child expenses we had that we couldn't meet in a month. My husband could not take a job at McDonalds because it would cost us over $1,000 a month to have 2 children in day care and we had no other child care options. He did look into part time work at night, but that wasn't realistic since he was caring for 2 children under 2 during the day so there would have been no time to sleep. Unless you have been in my exact situation you shouldn't really hand down judgment on what I do for my family to get by.

:clapping: :clapping:

There are jobs out there. It's just that for every job out there, about 600 applicants are looking for a job. And most of the jobs available don't pay nearly what they did five years ago.

I went to several interviews and was told that they had over 400 resumes submitted. One place said they picked the 10 most qualified to interview. Another said they picked about a half dozen. One told me they lost count how many resumes were submitted.

I agree 1000% with your last statement.

But you can't really go by that number... When I run an ad I have very specific requirements and state that if these requirements are not met DO NOT SUBMIT YOUR RESUME! And guess what, every dingbat in the world send in their resume anyway. I would be I received 300 on the last go around and MAYBE 40 had 75% of the qualifcations needed. On one batch around the middle of last year we were looking for a technician with professional painting experience and yes, we received hundreds of resumes but TWO yes only two of them even mentioned experience and after interviewing them I suspect they couldn't paint by numbers much less an entire building. We shudder at the thought of having to run ads now because it is always the same thing, crap....

But you can't have it both ways--people aren't trying to get a job but they are applying for jobs they aren't qualified for in hopes of getting a job. Work hard and get a job but have all the skills required before you apply?

I have submitted my resume a few times when I was not sure my skills would measure up to what they were asking for. I have used Excel for years but I'm far from an expert. So do I submit a resume for a job requiring knowledge of Excel? I have also NOT submitted my resume when the ad stated they wanted specific skills and to not respond if you didn't have such-and-such experience and I knew mine might not be up to par.

A lot of employers want a warm body. Quite honestly, those are the ones I tend to pass over when I go to submit a resume. If they don't know what they want other than vague skills, I just pass it. Then again, a lot of employers want someone who can come in and do the job without any training.

But you can't really go by that number... When I run an ad I have very specific requirements and state that if these requirements are not met DO NOT SUBMIT YOUR RESUME! And guess what, every dingbat in the world send in their resume anyway. I would be I received 300 on the last go around and MAYBE 40 had 75% of the qualifcations needed. On one batch around the middle of last year we were looking for a technician with professional painting experience and yes, we received hundreds of resumes but TWO yes only two of them even mentioned experience and after interviewing them I suspect they couldn't paint by numbers much less an entire building. We shudder at the thought of having to run ads now because it is always the same thing, crap....

But you can't have it both ways--people aren't trying to get a job but they are applying for jobs they aren't qualified for in hopes of getting a job. Work hard and get a job but have all the skills required before you apply?

I have submitted my resume a few times when I was not sure my skills would measure up to what they were asking for. I have used Excel for years but I'm far from an expert. So do I submit a resume for a job requiring knowledge of Excel? I have also NOT submitted my resume when the ad stated they wanted specific skills and to not respond if you didn't have such-and-such experience and I knew mine might not be up to par.

A lot of employers want a warm body. Quite honestly, those are the ones I tend to pass over when I go to submit a resume. If they don't know what they want other than vague skills, I just pass it. Then again, a lot of employers want someone who can come in and do the job without any training.

How is it asking to have it both ways when you say "1 year of commercial HVAC repair required" and you get a resume from a person who has never set foot from behind the counter at McDonald's? I'm sorry but people should have the brains enough to determine if they have basic or extremely advanced skills at Excel. If the employer is writing vague ad's that is one thing but if they aren't then it's just a waste of your time and theirs.

How is it asking to have it both ways when you say "1 year of commercial HVAC repair required" and you get a resume from a person who has never set foot from behind the counter at McDonald's? I'm sorry but people should have the brains enough to determine if they have basic or extremely advanced skills at Excel. If the employer is writing vague ad's that is one thing but if they aren't then it's just a waste of your time and theirs.

Many in my generation are in a catch 22. Everyone wants experience and we can't get it unless we are hired, however we need it to be hired. For instance, I have administrative, receptionist/secretary, customer service skills. I am trying to get into a position that uses those particular skills but everyone wants experience in that whatever field their business resides in. For example, Administrative Assistant for flooring place, or for a law office, or for a doctor's office, so on and so forth. But unless you have experience in the flooring community, or the law community, or medical community, they will never look at you.

Please explain how one gets a job in those cases. Before you say go get a job at a retail store or grocery store, they always respond with you are over-qualified.

• Like 1

You need to check into selling bling, unless you have bling 5000 and up you are going to walk away with 25-50, you can only sell it once.

You can not purchase,lease or trade automobiles without pay stubs.

In this economy people are getting next to nothing trying to sell off to survive.

We have people right now that are unemployed that made very good money all their lives, their financial obligations and possessions reflect that. They have done nothing wrong, the bottom line is that they quickly go through savings and can not get enough from selling their possessions to keep them afloat for very long.

We don't want abusers, but we don't want people giving up and going on the system. Some are throwing away equity in their home and going on section 8 because they have given up.

Food stamps help many to have enough cash to meet their financial obligations until they can get back on their feet.

The point I am making is that selling off floats people for a short period of time. They don't have credit to make changes without proof of employment.

We can not force businesses to employ people,that is the bottom line, we have to accept that until they do a lot of people are going to need help.

I still say saving what you have built is a much bigger motivator than a system that demands you give everything up before you get assistance.

• Like 2

Many in my generation are in a catch 22. Everyone wants experience and we can't get it unless we are hired, however we need it to be hired. For instance, I have administrative, receptionist/secretary, customer service skills. I am trying to get into a position that uses those particular skills but everyone wants experience in that whatever field their business resides in. For example, Administrative Assistant for flooring place, or for a law office, or for a doctor's office, so on and so forth. But unless you have experience in the flooring community, or the law community, or medical community, they will never look at you.

Please explain how one gets a job in those cases. Before you say go get a job at a retail store or grocery store, they always respond with you are over-qualified.

I'm not saying it doesn't suck and I wish I had the answers for you but I am simply saying that if a very specific skill set is requested and you don't have it, applying anyway is not going to be a productive use of your time. We used to have a solid staff to train people we felt might be a good fit, but that is a thing of the past. Most companies staff is very overwhelmed right now and the thought of having to train someone is enough to throw them over the edge. So employers are wanting people ready to hit the ground running and honestly there is usually no shortage of those individuals BUT you have to go through hundreds of resumes to find that one person. Needle in a haystack thing....

So I guess my answer don't waste your time applying for jobs that have specific skill sets that state they are REQUIRED but keep plugging at those in which you are qualified or over qualified. And in the mean time, take advantage of every single network connection you have and study, study, study online in everything that will benefit you or keep you on the top of the interview pile. If you don't know how to do certain things on Excel, get on the internet and study your butt off, if you don't know powerpoint, do the same thing, so on and so on.

My son in law was walking 7 miles one way to work because they didn't have a car. They still didn't qualify for assistance other than Food Stamps because he made too much money, cooking at Waffle House.

They had no home phone, no cable, no satellite, no Internet. If it wasn't available under Food Stamps or I didn't buy it for them, they did not have treats like a hamburger or fries at Burger King. They sold virtually everything they had of value before they asked me to help them out for anything.

It took 2 years to get approved for Medicaid for the youngest, after she was born. For some unknown reason, she was dropped from the program when she was about 2 months old. Her dad was still unemployed at the time. My daughter is unable to work due to a number of diagnoses, so she is a stay-at-home mom. TWO YEARS to get approval for Medicaid for a newborn when there is ZERO income in the household. ZERO. Did you realize it is a whole lot easier to prove that you have some income than it is to prove you have NO income?

Fortunately, my son in law FINALLY found a job last month after being unemployed, this time, since December of last year. It is a minimum wage job and he only works about 30-35 hours a week. BUT it is close enough for him to walk there, he loves the job, there is room for advancement. They will still be eligible for all the assistance they currently have, at least for the time being. I'm not a huge fan of my son in law but I have to hand it to him. He worked his butt off trying to get a job and finally got one. And I must have taught my daughter well because she has been able to stretch any money they had, and the assistance they receive, and kept two little girls and themselves fed and healthy.

They actually had to turn down TANF because they had no car and no childcare available since they would have been required to attend classes four days a week for three weeks out of every four for as long as they received the assistance. The assistance they would have received would not have paid for transportation to the classes and childcare during the classes. No excuses here, just facts.

You just proved my point. He was doing everything he could to keep his family afloat.

That is NOT the type of person I would be talking about.

I can vouch for the law office part. Almost everybody that I know (myself included)got the job by knowing somebody. You either know somebody that works in the office or some associate fromthe outside recommends you to the bosses.

First off, I am not handing judgement down on what you do for your family to get by.

Read what I wrote. I said that I have seen A LOT of people not do what it takes to get by.

I did not say that you were not, did I?

By what you wrote, YOU are not the type of person I was referring too.

Please RE-READ my post.. the type of person I was referring to is pretty well defined.

It is pretty funny though... how all these people are having such a hard time finding work... yet my wife is a head hunter and she has problems keeping positions filled.

She staffs everything from technical engineering positions to warehouse work.

Warehouse work that pays $12/hr... but yet I have yet to hear people say, "I have gone to head-hunters and temp agencies and they tell me there is no work."

The work is out there... it's just like I said... there's a lot of people who won't do

work that they think is beneath them. They want the high paying jobs and they want the luxury... and a LOT of people aren't willing to take anything less. THOSE are the people who are being complained about.

Edited by Nitro
  • Like 1

News flash! That is every industry!

You have to pretty much be over bearing and relentless.

You have to prove to them that hiring you is not a good choice.. it's the BEST choice.

Employers like aggressiveness when people are trying to get a job.

It shows them that they have ambition and want to work and be productive.

If you are told, we are looking for more experience...and you just walk off and accept it,

you're never going to get a job. I don't mean to harass them and make threats,

but never take an initial "no" for an answer... You have to sell yourself.

You can not purchase,lease or trade automobiles without pay stubs.

That's funny... I have three vehicles that I have never showed a pay stub to purchase.

That statement is a load of crap.

If I own a luxury vehicle worth $35,000 and times get hard, I can sell it for what I can get out of it.

Let's say I get $29,900. I can take that money right down to any dealer and purchase a $5,000 used car

with no paycheck stub, no credit check... nothing. I hand them the money and they process the title.

You are correct on trade. It's illegal to trade an automobile.

By law, it has to be sold for a minimum of $1. :rolleyes:

News flash! That is every industry!

You have to pretty much be over bearing and relentless.

You have to prove to them that hiring you is not a good choice.. it's the BEST choice.

Employers like aggressiveness when people are trying to get a job.

It shows them that they have ambition and want to work and be productive.

If you are told, we are looking for more experience...and you just walk off and accept it,

you're never going to get a job. I don't mean to harass them and make threats,

but never take an initial "no" for an answer... You have to sell yourself.

I actually do do that. I am still waiting (after the interview, email a thank you note, follow up in a few days, then follow up once again in the next few days). I have been unemployed since March. And now it is imperative I get a job. I don't get unemployment, I don't get food stamps or any of that because I live with my folks (again, oh and they don't pay for my food either), don't get any assistance, and now if I don't get something within the next week, I won't even be able to make it to interviews cause of the no money part. So if anyone knows anyone, please let me know.

Edited by Danaerys