Paulding.com
Sign in to follow this  
ButterflyLion

North GA State Fair September 20-30, 2012

People watching extrordinare. Kids love the rides

Cobb used to alternate between Six Flags and the fair for their employee appreciation days. We have not done this for quite a few years now as it was one of the very first things to get cut.

We try to go every year. It's sooooo much fun. We always go on friday or sat nights just because it's our only available time to go. I would assume during the week would be less crowded but i've never been during the week so not really sure. Some years the weekends are crowded some years not. I would definitley recommend going to walgreens and getting the discount tickets . I think they sell them up til a day ot two before the fair starts and then they stop selling them. It can save you tons of money by buying the unlimited ride wrist bands. I think they're usually $25. Last year they had them for the same price when we actually got to the fairgrounds but the year before i dont think they sold them at the park, only at walgreens. We usually have a great time. :yahoo: Hope this helped in some way!I know if you check out the advertisements usually they have specials on certain days...like 2 for the price of one...or pay $10 and get unlimited rides for 6 hrs...things like that might help you decide which day would be best for you.

Edited by dirt road

HERE'S THE HOME PAGE FOR THE FAIR

They always have the last Saturday morning "get in free and free rides".....this year it's 10AM - 11AM. {I just saw it's Sat. 22nd and Sat. 29th}

I haven't been in years, but I'm thinking of taking the 3 YO grandson, and my 16 YO grandson wants to take his girlfriend.

I plan on taking them to PCB the week of the 23rd, but we'll be back that Thursday so we could do Saturday.

We'll see.

We always go on opening night, it is on a school night so is not crowded at all.

I am not a ride nor game person but I enjoy all of the exhibits.

If you want to get ride tickets or park tickets......go to Walgreens, they are almost half price there.

The best time to go if you can if during the day on a weekday bc it is less crowded. Friday or Saturday night is more fun if you are a teenager.

How have you never been?

North Georgia/Cobb County fair has large exhibit halls, everything from hand made quilts and clothes, to jams and jelly's to crafts and paintings. And the animal exhibits.

Also check their schedule for concerts. The concert is free with fair admission and they'll have different acts and different genres, usually country or Christian artists. There will also be local talent on the small stage and different radio stations have certain nights when they'll have DJs at the fair. Definitely get discounted tickets and bring your patience if you go on a weekend. There's some parking at the fairgrounds but also parking around the corner with a "shuttle" to take you to the parking lot. Make sure you eat a corndog!!

MMmmmmm fair food............

We went last year and ate our way through it! :lol:

Foot long hotdogs!

Foot long corndogs!

Foot long sausage dogs!

Funnel cakes!

Fried snickers!

Fried oreos!!!

OH MY GOODNESS!!!!

We quit going to the fair in cobb once we found out about the big one in perry, ga (middle georiga). It is about twice as large as the local fair, cheaper tickets and more rural related stuff to do (folk art/local crafts, farm animals/livestock, shows, rodeos, antiques, car shows, bike shows). In previous years, they have had better concerts too. The unlimited ride pass is $13

This year, it is Oct 4th through the 14th, so a little cooler weather too. It is well worth the 2 hour trip down there.

http://www.georgianationalfair.com/

check out the events page to see the hundreds of things going on during the 10 days

• Like 1

We went to Perry a couple of years ago on our way to St Simonds. Every time we would go south to Daytona I always said we should go so we did.

I agree it's a much bigger fair and 2 or 3 bands playing at once. Lots of good food and plenty to see.

But I wouldn't drive down there just for the fair. We worked it in our schedule on the way down. Stopped by okeefenokee as well but the drought was bad that year and the boat rides were closed.

A friend of mine sells homemade fried pies at shows and fairs. They are made from scratch and you may get one straight from the fryer piping hot. She has a variety of fruit flavors and chocolate. Look for "Old Fashioned Fried Pies". She said the fair organizers usually put them near the entertainment, but she doesn't know yet if that is the plan for this year.

I want to go to the Georgia National fair this year in Perry. I wasn't impressed with the North GA fair. There wasn't even a Ferris wheel and very few exhibits.

People watching extrordinare. Kids love the rides

Cobb used to alternate between Six Flags and the fair for their employee appreciation days. We have not done this for quite a few years now as it was one of the very first things to get cut.

yeppers..

Just a question about the fairs mentioned in this thread or any fair in the area. The wife and I have not been to a fair in many many years. She is used to the fairs back home in MI, and I grew up going to the fairs in south GA. I haven't been to one in 15 years. We would love to go to one that has all the good food, we're talking heart attack level stuff. I'm looking for lots of games,rides,crafts, livestock ,agriculture and horticulture,shows etc. Will the two mentioned fit the bill?

Just a question about the fairs mentioned in this thread or any fair in the area. The wife and I have not been to a fair in many many years. She is used to the fairs back home in MI, and I grew up going to the fairs in south GA. I haven't been to one in 15 years. We would love to go to one that has all the good food, we're talking heart attack level stuff. I'm looking for lots of games,rides,crafts, livestock ,agriculture and horticulture,shows etc. Will the two mentioned fit the bill?

I would take the fair in Perry over the one in Marietta anyday....

• Like 1

We quit going to the fair in cobb once we found out about the big one in perry, ga (middle georiga). It is about twice as large as the local fair, cheaper tickets and more rural related stuff to do (folk art/local crafts, farm animals/livestock, shows, rodeos, antiques, car shows, bike shows). In previous years, they have had better concerts too. The unlimited ride pass is $13

This year, it is Oct 4th through the 14th, so a little cooler weather too. It is well worth the 2 hour trip down there.

http://www.georgianationalfair.com/

check out the events page to see the hundreds of things going on during the 10 days

That one rocks!

I'm glad they finally aligned with out fall break....no school means we can go on a week night!

I know, me too. :clapping:

The one in Perry is what you're looking for, but it's quite a ways down I-75. At least 2 hours, if not 2 1/2.

Now I want a Polish sausage sandwich with onions and peppers and an Italian sausage sammich and a foot long corndog and a foot long hot dog and a big ole Turkey leg and a funnel cake and a roasted corn on the cob and french fries covered in cheese and chili and onion rings and cotton candy and a fried apple pie with vanilla ice cream and a fried Oreo and a fried Snickers.

And for dinner I'll have............:lol:

Now I want a Polish sausage sandwich with onions and peppers and an Italian sausage sammich and a foot long corndog and a foot long hot dog and a big ole Turkey leg and a funnel cake and a roasted corn on the cob and french fries covered in cheese and chili and onion rings and cotton candy and a fried apple pie with vanilla ice cream and a fried Oreo and a fried Snickers.

And for dinner I'll have............:lol:

The Cobb County one has ALL this every year!! This IS that heart attack kinda food!!:drinks:

The Cobb County one has ALL this every year!! This IS that heart attack kinda food!!:drinks:

I know. Blondie and I ate our way through it last year. That is what we had. :lol:

Lighthouse Baptist Church in Hiram always has a Food Booth at the fair each year. We are between the big arena and the other stage area. We sell homemade chili, hot dogs, hamburgers, frito pies, corn dogs, dill pickles and the list goes on and on! Come by and say hi!

I have been dieting just so I could have a funnel cake and a couple of fried Oreos! Those Oreos are orgasmic!

I haven't been to the one in Perry yet, but we want to go this year. You would be disappointed in the one in Marietta. It doesn't even have a Ferris wheel, and very few of the exhibits. I don't think they had any agriculture exhibits and the livestock consisted of a petting zoo.

I haven't been to the one in Perry yet, but we want to go this year. You would be disappointed in the one in Marietta. It doesn't even have a Ferris wheel, and very few of the exhibits. I don't think they had any agriculture exhibits and the livestock consisted of a petting zoo.

I really thought there would be more county fairs around the area than I ever see. We've lived in the Atlanta area for a decade and to only have one choice for a fair in an area this size is a surprise. I'm just used to numerous county fairs growing up in south Georgia, where the whole experience of the food,shows,rides,4H exhibits,games,seeing who won first place with their prize vegetable or fruit, best livestock etc. I suppose it depends on the area of the state as to the nature of the fair. With Marietta being so close to Atlanta, maybe there is not as much interest in a more hometown type of fair. I haven't been to any of them so I wouldn't know. I just find it hard to believe that with as many rural areas even north of PC, that there are not any more county fairs.

I really thought there would be more county fairs around the area than I ever see. We've lived in the Atlanta area for a decade and to only have one choice for a fair in an area this size is a surprise. I'm just used to numerous county fairs growing up in south Georgia, where the whole experience of the food,shows,rides,4H exhibits,games,seeing who won first place with their prize vegetable or fruit, best livestock etc. I suppose it depends on the area of the state as to the nature of the fair. With Marietta being so close to Atlanta, maybe there is not as much interest in a more hometown type of fair. I haven't been to any of them so I wouldn't know. I just find it hard to believe that with as many rural areas even north of PC, that there are not any more county fairs.

Then one in perry is the closest one that has everything that you like. The best ones i have been to in the southeast as far as arts/crafts livestock and local produce and amish stuff are the fairs at nashville, tn - knoxville, tn - and perry, ga

Then one in perry is the closest one that has everything that you like. The best ones i have been to in the southeast as far as arts/crafts livestock and local produce and amish stuff are the fairs at nashville, tn - knoxville, tn - and perry, ga

I love the fair in Nashville! I think it is going on either this week or next week.

2 word... COLT FORD

I'm all over that show! "Meet me at the Waffle House"....... lol

Saw Colt Ford at the fair there last year!!! Was an awesome concert! His electric guitar player was THE BOMB!!!! :yahoo:

We went for the first time a few years ago. Is this the actual State of GA fair? Being from corn country the fair seemed nothing more than a small carnival. Our plain local 4H fair at home is 5 times the size. Is 4H not big here in the south? It was fun, but we figured it would be a pretty good size event for being a state fair.Oh well, we need antique tractor shows too, but when you move away from what you are used to, everything is different.

Edited by janko9

They have flower shows.

Flower Show

The Marietta Council of Garden Clubs, Inc. and The North Georgia State Fair Association in cooperation with the Garden Club of Georgia, Inc. and National Council of State Garden Clubs, Inc. will present two standard flower shows "Dance Like Nobody's Watching". Exhibit Hall A on the fairgrounds will be filled with sights and smells of colorful, fragrant flower displays.

The categories of competition include roses, dahlias, orchids, cacti, lilies, marigolds, asters, impatiens, daisies, herbs, shrubs, tress, chrysanthemums, hanging plants, fruit plants, and more; as well as design categories. Instead of a single bloom or plant, the design categories encourage creativity in designing displays with natural and floral ingredients. Our flower shows draw competitors and nationally-accredited judges from throughout metro Atlanta, so this should be an exceptionally exciting year.

Show rules follow preset guidelines established by the National Garden Clubs, Inc. The competition is open to gardeners of all ages. The flower show rules are ...

http://northgeorgiastatefair.com/Flower&Non-Comm/Flower-Noncomerical%20page.html