Paulding.com
Sign in to follow this  
mumjp

What help is out there for newly seperated mother

Someone I know is recently seperated and she has one child, her and her husband both work (both make about the same - about $13 ph) and have one child in daycare. She has the child. Does anyone know how child support is worked out? attorney fees? can she get any kind of help?, can she get food stamps?

Hoping someone knows a little info about this.. she is really worried if she can make it on her own, and I would hate her to go back into a relationship that she is not happy in because she cannot financially make it. Also needed is a divorce attorney, anyone know of anyone?

Someone I know is recently seperated and she has one child, her and her husband both work (both make about the same - about $13 ph) and have one child in daycare. She has the child. Does anyone know how child support is worked out? attorney fees? can she get any kind of help?, can she get food stamps?

Hoping someone knows a little info about this.. she is really worried if she can make it on her own, and I would hate her to go back into a relationship that she is not happy in because she cannot financially make it. Also needed is a divorce attorney, anyone know of anyone?

Good attorneys cost big money. She should be entitled to half of all assests. You can find how child support in Ga is calculated online- Google it. I'm not opening the can of worms that is food stamps. I tired of trying to save every penny while the government steals from me to fund other people.

I digress, tell her to get a big, mean attorney. If its an ugly divorce, you do NOT want a "nice" attorney representing you. They will do a free consult. with her. I would talk to a FEW before I spent any money.

My divorce cost $13,000 and that was ONLY for representation.

She can apply for CAPS which is daycare assistance assuming that she falls under the income guidelines. She can also apply for food stamps if she's under the income guidelines. If she isn't yet recieving income from child support her regular income may be low enough to get on both of those programs. CAPS however is sometimes out of money even if you do qualify, but she can look up both of those on line.

I'm not a fan of social programs, but they are meant to be a safety net for hard times, and in this instance hopefully this is temporary and she will get child support and not have to be on these programs.

Is it going to be an uncontested divorce (both want it and are willing to work out a custody agreement) or does only one side want it? That will make the difference in how much its going to cost.

If it's uncontested it shouldn't be too bad. When I got divorced, a few years back, my attorney sucked so I'm not going to recommend him (it took 3 months longer than it should have because he was "in trial" and my paperwork sat on his desk because he wasn't in the office). Typical child support is 17-23% of the non-custodial parent's income, but that may have changed to factor in the custodial parent's income also to protect dads paying out the wazoo when their exes earn double what they make. Anyway, whatever it works out to be, make sure she gets it automatically taken from him, whether it's from his paycheck (yes, employers CAN do that and can not fire the employee for having that set up) or a draft directly from his bank account. Do not depend on him to pay it reliably every week. Both parties will have to list their income and debts and it gets very detailed, then the child support amount is determined. Who has health insurance on the child--that will make an impact too. She can try getting financial assistance but I wish her luck with that. I was a single mom, going to nursing school full-time, working part-time (waiting tables 2 nights a week) and I was denied Medicaid because I made too much. To get considered for any other assistance I would have had to have the state handle my ex's child support--he would have to pay them every week and I'd get that card--instead of us handling it ourselves. All I can tell your friend is to check into it and see what they say and hang in there. It's not easy but it works out in the end. I'm remarried to a wonderful man who loves my son as his own, my ex is involved (every other weekend) with our son, and my new husband and I have a wonderful son of our own.

I hope that made sense--I kinda rambled!

Might want to check these folks out....

http://ocss.dhs.georgia.gov/

http://dhs.georgia.gov/

Legally, there is no reason she would be entitled to half of all assets. Georgia is not a community property state. That said, an agreement may be reached that covers her needs and then some.

I highly doubt with a job paying $13 an hour she will qualify for food stamps, unless she only works 4 or 5 hours a month. The threshold is pretty low income-wise. It wouldn't hurt to apply and while she's there apply for everything that she could possibly be entitled to.

I meant to say also, that she needs to talk to her tax adviser as well as an attorney. Some divorce proceedings have tax implications. Once it's done, it's done and there is nothing she could do. Best to talk that over PRIOR to the divorce being final.

Good attorneys cost big money. She should be entitled to half of all assests. You can find how child support in Ga is calculated online- Google it. I'm not opening the can of worms that is food stamps. I tired of trying to save every penny while the government steals from me to fund other people.

I digress, tell her to get a big, mean attorney. If its an ugly divorce, you do NOT want a "nice" attorney representing you. They will do a free consult. with her. I would talk to a FEW before I spent any money.

My divorce cost $13,000 and that was ONLY for representation.

I love this story.

Many years ago my buddy's 2nd wife left him and he was understandably depressed.

His dad, who had been divorced from his mom for around 8 years, had been trying to contact my buddy, but my buddy wouldn't take his calls.

So the dad called me to find out what was going on.

I told the dad and said that my buddy was just ashamed that his 2nd marriage hadn't worked out.

Anyway, the dad called my buddy and after they had talked I asked my buddy what his dad had said to him.

My buddy told me his dad just said to get a good divorce attorney.

In fact he said, "get your mother's, he was a good one!"

I thought that was quite funny.

Good luck to your friend, it is a tough time, but she will get though it.

Edited by stradial

Reminds me of an episode of "Two and a Half Men" when Alan's second wife filed for divorce and he asked his first wife for the name of her lawyer because he was good.

Divorce is never funny. It can, however, be the best thing you ever do.

I love this story.

Many years ago my buddy's 2nd wife left him and he was understandably depressed.

His dad, who had been divorced from his mom for around 8 years, had been trying to contact my buddy, but my buddy wouldn't take his calls.

So the dad called me to find out what was going on.

I told the dad and said that my buddy was just ashamed that his 2nd marriage hadn't worked out.

Anyway, the dad called my buddy and after they had talked I asked my buddy what his dad had said to him.

My buddy told me his dad just said to get a good divorce attorney.

In fact he said, "get your mother's, he was a good one!"

I thought that was quite funny.

Good luck to your friend, it is a tough time, but she will get though it.

I would be happy to meet with your friend to discuss the options available to her. Child support, alimony and division of assets are very fact specific, so there's no way to tell what she can expect based on the facts that you've presented here. There are ways to get assistance while the divorce is pending. If she'd like to come in for a consultation, she can just call the office to schedule it. I have a couple of appointments available over the next few days.

There are several attorneys in Paulding to not trust and a few on Paulding.com. Pm me for specifics.

I feel for your friend I've been there and done that. I have an amazing attorney now and he is Soomg his job wonderfully! Good

Luck to her. It's very hard!!

There are several attorneys in Paulding to not trust and a few on Paulding.com. Pm me for specifics.

I feel for your friend I've been there and done that. I have an amazing attorney now and he is Soomg his job wonderfully! Good

Luck to her. It's very hard!!

We have 2 attorneys that are on p.com, only 1 of them does divorce cases please pm me the specifics.

Jeanne O'Halleran has done a fine job with my daughter's divorce; very kind, patient, thorough. I would highly recommend her.

Jeanne O'Halleran has done a fine job with my daughter's divorce; very kind, patient, thorough. I would highly recommend her.

Jeanne O'Halleran is an excellent divorce lawyer. She has built a reputation for helping fathers also.

Some may have a problem with that, because as we all know the women is always the under dog.

I have some very good male friends trying to protect their children from horrible living conditions that she has helped.

I know some people that believe children always belong with the mom are not going to like that.

The children should be with whoever can care for them and it doesn't matter if it's the father, mother, aunt or next door neighbor's first cousin's hairdresser.

Children do NOT always belong with the mom. Thank goodness there was a Cobb County judge back in 1976 who felt my stepdaughters would be better off with their dad than their mom. She was an incredible person and loved her daughters very, very much but they were so young they needed parenting, not to be the parent.

I know some people that believe children always belong with the mom are not going to like that.

Legally, there is no reason she would be entitled to half of all assets. Georgia is not a community property state. That said, an agreement may be reached that covers her needs and then some.

I highly doubt with a job paying $13 an hour she will qualify for food stamps, unless she only works 4 or 5 hours a month. The threshold is pretty low income-wise. It wouldn't hurt to apply and while she's there apply for everything that she could possibly be entitled to.

5 hours a month at $13 an hour is only $65, before taxes. The income limit for 2 people households with a child is just under $1600. When I was a single mom, I didn't qualify by a whopping $26 a month. mellow.gif

So, she could qualify. I highly doubt it if she's working full-time, though.

Any work over 26 hours a week would disqualify her based on income at $13 an hour pay. However, she MIGHT qualify as there may factors not mentioned.

5 hours a month at $13 an hour is only $65, before taxes. The income limit for 2 people households with a child is just under $1600. When I was a single mom, I didn't qualify by a whopping $26 a month. mellow.gif

So, she could qualify. I highly doubt it if she's working full-time, though.

Ok here is what I recommend,to help get over the stress,pain,suffering there is only one thing left. Get yourself a sex buddy. Then go for a all night toe curling,deep breathing sweat pouring knee buckling sex. I mean tear it up bodies pumping type sex. This will help you get over it,and if not repeat as needed.

Trust me on this :yahoo: :clapping: :good: :p :rofl:

Ok here is what I recommend,to help get over the stress,pain,suffering there is only one thing left. Get yourself a sex buddy. Then go for a all night toe curling,deep breathing sweat pouring knee buckling sex. I mean tear it up bodies pumping type sex. This will help you get over it,and if not repeat as needed.

I remember you giving this advice a few times before. At least you are doing your part for the community.

:p

I remember you giving this advice a few times before. At least you are doing your part for the community.

Well look how good you feel after a good romp in the hay!:yahoo:

:p

Wait until after the divorce. Until things are final, this is still adultery, and just complicates the divorce. Trust me, lots of people jump into another relationship too soon, and things get real ugly real fast!!!

Once the judge puts pen to paper, do what makes ya happy!

• Like 1

I can recommend lawjamesq.com Jody Miller, Attorney at Law. I wish I had used her when I got divorced. I'm now using her for child support modification and enforcement. She's in Atlanta. Close to the Galleria. She is a short little thing, but she means business. She was not cheap, but came highly recommended from a coworker.

I doubt with your friend making $13 that she will qualify for Caps or foodstamps. As for child support, the easiest way to calculate the responsiblity of the non custodial parent is to go by the Georgia Worksheet that the attorneys use (so at least she can get an idea). Both parents income is taken into consideration, who is paying for health care, and child care. In my case, due to the fact I pay all childcare costs and health insurance costs...my ex's support responsibilty skyrocketed. It has been a nightmare dealing with child support over the last couple of years and I only wish that I had used a good attorney when I was going through the divorce. Oh, if I had known what I know now.

Edited to ad the link to the child support calculator website http://www.georgiacourts.org/csc/

Edited by Boss Hogg

Anyway, whatever it works out to be, make sure she gets it automatically taken from him, whether it's from his paycheck (yes, employers CAN do that and can not fire the employee for having that set up) or a draft directly from his bank account. Do not depend on him to pay it reliably every week.

When I met with my attorney last Friday, there has been a recent (within the last year) change in the law regarding income deduction orders. It can no longer be taken from the employees salary and sent to the other parent directly. It now has to go to a third party state agency - ie. like Child Support Enforcement. Which IMO is a bunch of incompetent idiots. Very bad experience with the people, from losing my case documents, to taking months to schedule hearing, etc. Finally, I decided to "fire" them and hire a private attorney. Anyway, when CSE receives payment for you...even if you have direct deposit set up with them, it can still take 3-5 more business days to get your payment.

My husband now elected to have his child support deducted from his check when he got divorced and fell under the old law that the money could be sent directly to his ex. His oldest child recently graduated and we are having to get his support order modified and adjusted down to 1 child. When the new order is complete, his employer will no longer be able to send the money directly to his ex.

Edited by Chunchine

Following Animals advice works. Just don't do it in Feelip's backyard. Unless you like to be filmed...

That's good advice right thar'!

I don't care who you are!

Wait until after the divorce. Until things are final, this is still adultery, and just complicates the divorce. Trust me, lots of people jump into another relationship too soon, and things get real ugly real fast!!!

I love ya'll! I ended up working things out but Tanya was the BEST! If myself or anyone else EVER needed representation you would be first on my list!

I love ya'll! I ended up working things out but Tanya was the BEST! If myself or anyone else EVER needed representation you would be first on my list!

Thanks! I'm glad you were able to work things out!

She can apply for CAPS which is daycare assistance assuming that she falls under the income guidelines. She can also apply for food stamps if she's under the income guidelines. If she isn't yet recieving income from child support her regular income may be low enough to get on both of those programs. CAPS however is sometimes out of money even if you do qualify, but she can look up both of those on line.

I'm not a fan of social programs, but they are meant to be a safety net for hard times, and in this instance hopefully this is temporary and she will get child support and not have to be on these programs.

Thank you for your help

You are so crazy :yahoo: :yahoo:

Make sure she protects her 401k! I was surprised that a lot of people have to give half their 401k to their ex if only one has been contributing toward retirement. That was the one good thing my attorney did was make sure I got 100% of my 401k. That was my paycheck that was being deducted, not his, not our joint bank account, but mine. Also, if one person is keeping the house and/or car it will need to be refinanced in just that person's name and the other partner will need to sign off on it to get their name off the loan. A quit claim deed will not keep their name off it and make sure the spouse keeping the house or car makes the payments on time while the divorce is pending. Even if one has moved out of the house both names are still on it and both credit scores will suffer with late payments. My ex was late every month after we separated until he refinanced my name off the loan. I had to explain, in writing, that I was not a resident of that home and call the credit bureaus with that information but it still took the 7 years to get it off there. My ex also threatened to go after me for abandonment until I laughed at him and said it's called separation, not abandonment, and we're getting divorced so it doesn't matter. It's no fun going through divorce, especially with a child involved, but it will be okay.

Following Animals advice works. Just don't do it in Feelip's backyard. Unless you like to be filmed...

:rofl:

I think 'my friend' might qualify for food stamps, she usually only works 28 hours a week, she applied for food stamps and handed in her paychecks and utility bills etc and they are going to give her a 'phone interview', does anyone know what this is about ?

Thanks for everyones help, this is a stressful time for all involved

Blondie and I were some adulterous mofo's then. We met after we both filed and started dating. My attorney said it was no big deal. Blondies divorce took a month, mine took 20 months. Of course my ex had a boyfriend most of the time too. :lol:

A phone interview basically means when she applied and showed her paychecks and utility bills, that there was not a case worker available. It will be a caseworker who will do the phone interview.

I think 'my friend' might qualify for food stamps, she usually only works 28 hours a week, she applied for food stamps and handed in her paychecks and utility bills etc and they are going to give her a 'phone interview', does anyone know what this is about ?

Thanks for everyones help, this is a stressful time for all involved

A phone interview basically means when she applied and showed her paychecks and utility bills, that there was not a case worker available. It will be a caseworker who will do the phone interview.

Thank you