Paulding.com
Sign in to follow this  
Hopper626

Door to Door Sales

This is a bit late but I was just informed this may be a scam:

A couple weeks back, I was home with my daughter (Hubby was at work). We received a visitor. A foreign student going Door to Door selling learning materials. He told me he had a list of parents in the area (this was my 1st red flag <_< ). He said many parents had already signed up to purchase these materials (he even showed me his list). I told him I was not interested, all the while standing IN my house with my foot firmly planted behind the front door as I stood in the door just enough that he could not get a full-view of my living room. Yes, I am paranoid of crazy folks going Door-to-Door! :p

Anyway, after attempting to shut him up and tell him I was not interested AND listening to him try to convince me he would come back at a more convenient time, I finally got him to leave after at least 5 attemtps at declining.

Has anyone elese received this visitor? Possibly driving a car with Out of State tags?

This whole thing had me weary as he (apparently) only had a list of parents and teachers in the area.

My brother just called to inform me that one of his college classmates had asked that he pass info along to me about : "A foreign student going Door to door selling Learning materials. once he makes his way IN your home, he distracts you long enough for a friend/colleague to come and unlock a window for a later admission of a crime".

Please, Please, PLEASE be careful who you open the door for. They may seem legit but turn out to be scoping your place out for the goods.

I guess I could have always just grabbed the gun from under the couch and sent him a very LOUD message to leave :D

I never open the door to someone I don't know. I let them know someone is home so they won't get the idea to break in. My dog's barking helps too.

• Like 1

I had one of those students catch me outside, he was tall and blonde and from one of the Baltic counties ( Latvia, Lithuania or Estonia) can't remember which one and had a car with a TN tag. The books were really expensive.

Conveniently, later on that day or perhaps the next day, another student, this time a black girl on college break from Michigan selling magazines at rack rate.

In this day of information and the ease of shopping from home on the web, who in their right mind would entertain any door to door salesperson?

Had a woman corner me a few weeks back. White car, Florida plates. Said she was an exchange student working with teachers. Trying to sell a stupid book that is worthless when you have internet access.

Was trying to take oldest to choir practice in Roswell, so was not looking out too much for neighbors or I would have given her an ear full and explained what "No Soliciting" means.

Last summer they came to my house, were asking info about other people in the area with kids, sounds like the exact scenario. It was pretty strange, but gave out no info and got rid of them as quickly as possible.

Yup, tall, blonde guy with an accent visited my door too. He called my neighbors by name and I informed him I knew all about his scam, whipped out my cell phone and called named neighbor in front of him and informed her of the scam, all the while he's insisting "no". I never took the chain off the door and I told him my next call was to the Sheriff. He left in a hurry!

Over the weekend, I had a tall blonde guy from a local trash service knock on my door at 7pm on Saturday night. He went into his pitch and I said, "no thanks". He stuck his hand out to catch my door as it was closing---chain on---and he asked if there was a reason I paid xx amount with ABC company. I said, "Yeah, you're company is in Virginia. Mine is based here. I support my own." Then shut the door. He stood outside, in my yard, in front of my living room window, for TEN minutes writing in his notebook. I did call the police, but he left by the time the patrol car showed up.

Yup, tall, blonde guy with an accent visited my door too. He called my neighbors by name and I informed him I knew all about his scam, whipped out my cell phone and called named neighbor in front of him and informed her of the scam, all the while he's insisting "no". I never took the chain off the door and I told him my next call was to the Sheriff. He left in a hurry!

There is no scam.

He is simply a young student from Estonia trying to earn some money

for college by selling educational books for children door to door.

If y'all would sit down and talk to him like a human being,

you would find that he is a very interesting and intelligent

person who loves the USA and is just trying to make a living.

I did not buy any books, but we had a couple of beers and

a very nice conversation about his journey through America.

(BTW- the public information he uses is readily available online.)

• Like 2

Had a young woman come to my door last night at 9:30pm. When I cracked open the door she said I'm so sorry it's late but I have to make my quota for today or I can't go home. She had a heavy accent but I was so mad that she would come to my door at 9:30 at night that I didn't even give her a chance to explain what she was selling. I said no thank you and shut the door.

My neighbor text me a few minutes later saying she came to her door also begging her to please listen to her. Then I heard voices so I looked outside and the neighbor across the street had taken something to his trash can and she approached him. He wasn't so nice.

She wasn't in a car, she was riding a bike. One of the neighbors must have called the po-po cause a few minutes later there was one talking to her and then she rode off on her bike and he left.

It is one thing to go door to door, but after 9pm at night...that is just asking for trouble

I had one of those students catch me outside, he was tall and blonde and from one of the Baltic counties ( Latvia, Lithuania or Estonia) can't remember which one and had a car with a TN tag. The books were really expensive.

Conveniently, later on that day or perhaps the next day, another student, this time a black girl on college break from Michigan selling magazines at rack rate.

Same Guy!!! <_<

There is no scam.

A couple of Beers? :blink:

No one is attacking him persoanlly, just the Door to Door sales. Not to mention, there is a CLEAR sign at the entrance to our neighborhood that CLEARLY states: NO SOLICITING! :closedeyes:

That should be understood in ALL languages. :drinks:

Edited by Hopper626

It isn't a scam, we had the same guy as well. We didn't buy this time. We did get suckered into buying these books about 6 years ago, I even showed him one of the books.

There is no scam.

I hope he robs you first. ;)

EBers are a step away from pikeys.

A couple of Beers? :blink:

No one is attacking him persoanlly, just the Door to Door sales. Not to mention, there is a CLEAR sign at the entrance to our neighborhood that CLEARLY states: NO SOLICITING! :closedeyes:

That should be understood in ALL languages. :drinks:

Doubt it. The eastern block is very poor and the people that come from there are very naive. I'm actually more curious about how he got to the states. It's far easier to enter the UK. Suspicion #1.

As for the kid, he's going to piss off the wrong redneck (we have LOTS of guns here) and no one is going to buy his crap in a county where people are complaining about buying notebook paper for their kids.

Hope you covered that over your PBR story time.

• Like 1

I hope he robs you first. ;)

EBers are a step away from pikeys.

Doubt it. The eastern block is very poor and the people that come from there are very naive. I'm actually more curious about how he got to the states. It's far easier to enter the UK. Suspicion #1.

As for the kid, he's going to piss off the wrong redneck (we have LOTS of guns here) and no one is going to buy his crap in a county where people are complaining about buying notebook paper for their kids.

Hope you covered that over your PBR story time.

Wow... two ignorant sterotypes in one post. :good:

It isn't a scam, we had the same guy as well. We didn't buy this time. We did get suckered into buying these books about 6 years ago, I even showed him one of the books.

Does that make sense? You said it wasn't a scam, but got suckered with it in the past. Doesn't getting suckered mean you got scammed?

There is no scam.

I would have done the same, only I would have called the police to watch him drive away in his car after a few beers.

First of all door to door sales is a joke for a job. It's dangerous for both parties. I can't believe it is still around. This same guy from Europe came into our neighborhood. I was not interested. If I want something I can get it myself and I certainly don't need some educational books.

Does that make sense? You said it wasn't a scam, but got suckered with it in the past. Doesn't getting suckered mean you got scammed?

It wasn't a scam, we bought the books for the kids to hopefully use for school. Same as buying encyclopedia's back in the day. I got suckered by my wife not by the salesman. Of course the kids never opened them.

I would have done the same, only I would have called the police to watch him drive away in his car after a few beers.

A couple = two beers.

One for me, one for him.

Geesh... have you never offered someone working out in the heat a nice cold beverage ? ? ?

(My husband and I were sitting on the porch having a drink when he approached us, we told him

that we were not interested and then asked if he would like to sit in the shade and cool off.)

Bottom line... he is a nice poor kid working his way across America.

We enjoyed the interesting conversation and he enjoyed our kindness.

In hindsight we should have warned him that Southern hospitality no longer exists... :rolleyes:

they stopped by my house and the chick wouldn't take no for an answer, so I had to be rude with her. :angry: I've got a water gun with her name on it if she comes back :lol:

A couple = two beers.

One for me, one for him.

Geesh... have you never offered someone working out in the heat a nice cold beverage ? ? ?

(My husband and I were sitting on the porch having a drink when he approached us, we told him

that we were not interested and then asked if he would like to sit in the shade and cool off.)

Bottom line... he is a nice poor kid working his way across America.

We enjoyed the interesting conversation and he enjoyed our kindness.

In hindsight we should have warned him that Southern hospitality no longer exists... :rolleyes:

Southern Hospitality exists, but we are cautious with it ;)

Edited by Hopper626

I am betting the next few houses he stopped at were even less willing to purchase from him if they could smell beer on his breath.

I'm not fan of the door to door sales. Too many crazies out there and you never know if they could be posing as a salesman to get inside your house.

I'm never rude, but I just try to avoid the situation in general if I can.

This is a bit late but I was just informed this may be a scam:

A couple weeks back, I was home with my daughter (Hubby was at work). We received a visitor. A foreign student going Door to Door selling learning materials. He told me he had a list of parents in the area (this was my 1st red flag <_< ). He said many parents had already signed up to purchase these materials (he even showed me his list). I told him I was not interested, all the while standing IN my house with my foot firmly planted behind the front door as I stood in the door just enough that he could not get a full-view of my living room. Yes, I am paranoid of crazy folks going Door-to-Door! :p

Anyway, after attempting to shut him up and tell him I was not interested AND listening to him try to convince me he would come back at a more convenient time, I finally got him to leave after at least 5 attemtps at declining.

Has anyone elese received this visitor? Possibly driving a car with Out of State tags?

This whole thing had me weary as he (apparently) only had a list of parents and teachers in the area.

My brother just called to inform me that one of his college classmates had asked that he pass info along to me about : "A foreign student going Door to door selling Learning materials. once he makes his way IN your home, he distracts you long enough for a friend/colleague to come and unlock a window for a later admission of a crime".

Please, Please, PLEASE be careful who you open the door for. They may seem legit but turn out to be scoping your place out for the goods.

I guess I could have always just grabbed the gun from under the couch and sent him a very LOUD message to leave :D

A guy matching this description came to our house today. He was driving an old, beat up Camry and since my daughter was outside with my grandson, we didn't have the option not to go to the door. He wasn't speaking very good English and said that he was getting information on all the kids in the neighborhood such as names and ages for some reason, but he didn't get far enough as to explain why. He was told right quick that he was crazy if he thought that we would share that info with him and that he needed to leave and not return. Really dude?!?!