Paulding.com

noted that this guy has a history of 10-44 attempts - I guess just not very good at it.

So 10-44 is the code for suicide?? (I do not have a scanner nor am I familiar with the codes used.)I would think IF he truly wanted to die he would have been successful after several attempts. Or try a method that has a higher success rate such as a bullet. Maybe a cry for help or trying to get high using/mixing too many drugs?

So 10-44 is the code for suicide?? (I do not have a scanner nor am I familiar with the codes used.)I would think IF he truly wanted to die he would have been successful after several attempts. Or try a method that has a higher success rate such as a bullet. Maybe a cry for help or trying to get high using/mixing too many drugs?

Actually, as a general rule we tend to not encourage people use better methods hoping that they may never succeed.

pubby

10-44 - it is an attempt or threats and reported to officers and EMS as such

if it was successful then it would be reported as a signal 48 with a request for coroner

10-44 - it is an attempt or threats and reported to officers and EMS as such

if it was successful then it would be reported as a signal 48 with a request for coroner

I've heard of people dying from what was believed to be an accidental overdose---say of pain pills or sleeping pills. Maybe it's still debated if Marilyn Monroe and some other deaths were accidental? Or occasionally someones receives medical attention and survives an accidental overdose. How are those situations reported vs. someone who intends to commit suicide?

I think it's sad on all levels.

Sad because the person obviously is having some sort of issue and sad that law enforcement have to take time from potential higher level emergencies.

I'm not sure of the protocol but if this person has a history maybe they need to be in a mental home and not alone in a house.

• Like 1

I've heard of people dying from an what was believed to be an accidental overdose---say of pain pills or sleeping pills. Maybe it's still debated if Marylin Monroe and some other deaths were accidental? Or occasionally someones receives medical attention and survives an accidental overdose. How are those situations reported vs. someone who intends to commit suicide?

I can only relay how I hear the calls reported. There are calls with 10-44 threats - I'm gonna kill myself with a pencil.... as well as 10-44 attempt - caller reports man has cut himself or took 50 pills.

There was a successful 10-44 attempt a few days ago on Roman Drive. This was reported as a 10-44 attempt, with gun. I don't recall if the EMS units call him signal 48 at the scene or if they worked him all the way to the ER where the doctors there made the call that he was dead.

In your example, if you came home to someone that was "blue and cold" then it would be called to the EMS units and SO as a possible deceased person with the facts that you found the person blue and cold. If you stated you found 5 empty pill bottles then that would be relayed and they would probably dispatch as a 10-44 attempt.

I can only relay how I hear the calls reported. There are calls with 10-44 threats - I'm gonna kill myself with a pencil.... as well as 10-44 attempt - caller reports man has cut himself or took 50 pills.

There was a successful 10-44 attempt a few days ago on Roman Drive. This was reported as a 10-44 attempt, with gun. I don't recall if the EMS units call him signal 48 at the scene or if they worked him all the way to the ER where the doctors there made the call that he was dead.

In your example, if you came home to someone that was "blue and cold" then it would be called to the EMS units and SO as a possible deceased person with the facts that you found the person blue and cold. If you stated you found 5 empty pill bottles then that would be relayed and they would probably dispatch as a 10-44 attempt.

Thanks. I guess I was wondering if there is a code for a suspected overdose when it's believed it was accidental. I remember several years ago a woman who was said to have abused Soma for years. Her family was used to her taking a lot and they were home with her when she died. They thought she died of an accidental overdose.

Actually, as a general rule we tend to not encourage people use better methods hoping that they may never succeed.

pubby

OH NOOOOOO Pubby. I did not mean for it to sound like I was wanting them to use better methods. What I was trying to say was with the information given about this person having supposedly had several previous attempts at suicide that it sounds like it was NOT a suicide attempt. I meant that to me it appears that this was an accidental overdose or a cry for help. Regardless it is a VERY SAD situation and I pray the individual is okay and gets the help that might be needed.

Thanks. I guess I was wondering if there is a code for a suspected overdose when it's believed it was accidental.

Yeah...its called a medical call. LE will not normally respond to those type calls unless there is a death.

Edited by Ugadawgs98