Paulding.com

Mold in basement

We are getting ready to close on a house in Seven Hills and did our inspection. The house has been empty for over 2 years, and the basement has small amounts of mold on some of the wood rafters and tiny specks on a small section of drywall. It isn't finished. We had the mold remediation guys out today to inspect, and it is not toxic mold. Just little bits of white and a tiny bit of green. It is 4000 for them to come in, spray it, and clean it up. Seems simple enough, my Husband is very handy, and im wondering if anyone has tried clean up on their own?

They said the mold is just from the house sitting for so long. And it is just little amounts. I don't want to spend thousands if it is something simple that we can do! Thanks!

We are getting ready to close on a house in Seven Hills and did our inspection. The house has been empty for over 2 years, and the basement has small amounts of mold on some of the wood rafters and tiny specks on a small section of drywall. It isn't finished. We had the mold remediation guys out today to inspect, and it is not toxic mold. Just little bits of white and a tiny bit of green. It is 4000 for them to come in, spray it, and clean it up. Seems simple enough, my Husband is very handy, and im wondering if anyone has tried clean up on their own?

They said the mold is just from the house sitting for so long. And it is just little amounts. I don't want to spend thousands if it is something simple that we can do! Thanks!

Don't close. The current owner (I'm guessing the bank) is responsible for that. That is why you paid for an inspection.

For your benefit I would have a professional remediation company do the work. Be sure you get a sample of their warranty to review up front (before they start the work).

This will give you some leverage down the road if it re-appears or if they were to miss some. Check them out through referrals because not everyone that claims to be experts are actually certified.

• Like 3

DO NOT CLOSE. You need a mold remidiation company to resolve this. This is NOTHING to take lightly. I have a good friend whose husband was so sick b/c of mold, they had to leave their house and EVERY SINGLE THING IN IT...wedding pictures, furniture...EVERYTHING. Those nasty spores are airborne and can get anywhere and grow more. Its not worth it.

BTW, most master plumbers would tell you the exact same thing b/c they see the effects of water damage that a lot of us cant see everyday.It can be and most likely is in places you cant easily get to or see(behind walls, in the ceiling, etc). The darker it is, the more mold you can count on.

• Like 2

Thanks! The Bank's price will be closer to 10,000. We were told that when the banks pay, they order a mold culture and air spore texting. It can take another month to finish. Our price would be less because they will not be doing the mold cultures and replete spore tests. This is an as is sale. The bank has always stated that. We are going to ask when we get the final quotes back on Monday or Tuesday, but I have a feeling we will be shelling out the money on our own. It is a good deal, so eating that cost will be worth it. I just hate having to pay that after paying the down, closing cost, moving cost, and everything else!

Oh, another question, now that the bank knows and is made aware of the mold, do they have to disclose the info if we back out? This house was under contract and it all the sudden fell out. I'm wondering if the people before us found the mold in an inspection and decided not to take it. If so, would the bank have to tell us since they knew? I'm thinking that if they are legally suppose to disclose mold now that we have told them, they mind as well fix the issue or the next time they list the house they will have to drop the price or deal with it then!

Oh, another question, now that the bank knows and is made aware of the mold, do they have to disclose the info if we back out? This house was under contract and it all the sudden fell out. I'm wondering if the people before us found the mold in an inspection and decided not to take it. If so, would the bank have to tell us since they knew? I'm thinking that if they are legally suppose to disclose mold now that we have told them, they mind as well fix the issue or the next time they list the house they will have to drop the price or deal with it then!

Yes, all info such as this HAS to be disclosed according to real estate law. I wouldnt buy a house knowing it has a mold problem. It can be deadly.

Colorox kills mold spores. It is quite and easy fix.

No its not and you cannot get to all of it with just simple Clorox. I have been down this road and its not simple if it is tested and considered to be a dangerous type.

We recently bought a home. I ADORE our new home.

But if our inspection had shown mold and it was an as-is deal, I would have easily walked away rather than deal with a problem like that. As someone else said, there is the mold you can see, and then there's all that additional that you CAN'T see...all up in the walls and insulation and such...I have known people who have ongoing health issues that they and their children may NEVER fully recover from because of mold issues. I know people who have lost everything because of undiscovered/undisclosed mold.

If you walk, you will be sad that you lost the home you hoped to love. But I don't think I'd be happy loving a moldy thing, no matter how good it looked on the top layers. It's still a nasty, moldy thing underneath the pretty parts.

I wouldn't just walk...I'd RUN.

Even an "as is" sale?

If they are knowledgeable of an existing problem, yes, they are required to disclose it.

The only thing they are not required to voluntarily disclose is a problem that has been fixed.

However, if you notice something or see a tale-tale sign that something looks to have been repaired

and you specifically ask about a specific repair, they have to disclose that.

If you ask the question, "Has there been any problems with this house?" they don't have to provide details.

If you say, "The roof looks like it has been repaired, has it?" then they have to provide that information.

Colorox kills mold spores. It is quite and easy fix.

You're bad wrong. You really shouldn't put out dangerous information like that.

I don't do mold remediation but I am in a business that is closely related to this. I have been involved in some mold lawsuits.

The OP needs to let the bank hire the remediation and have it certified mold free. These people will also be able to determine the cause and make the necessary repairs on the banks dime.

NO MATTER HOW GOOD THE DEAL IS YOU COULD LOSE YOUR BUTT DEALING WITH THIS. DON'T DO IT!!!!

I do think mold can make you sick, and I don't want it in my house either, but isn't mold everywhere in our environment? I feel sure that large amounts of mold spores in a confined area can and will make people sick, especially the very young, old and those whose immune system is weak. But, don't all houses actually have mold, in reality. Ever pull some strawberries out of the fridge and they had mold on them? I would think that if the mold isn't real bad, it would be worth fixing.

Here is another video I just found on you tube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AlQytXkRnOM

I do think mold can make you sick, and I don't want it in my house either, but isn't mold everywhere in our environment? I feel sure that large amounts of mold spores in a confined area can and will make people sick, especially the very young, old and those whose immune system is weak. But, don't all houses actually have mold, in reality. Ever pull some strawberries out of the fridge and they had mold on them? I would think that if the mold isn't real bad, it would be worth fixing.

Here is another video I just found on you tube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AlQytXkRnOM

Yes, mold is everywhere.

And while I love to eat mushrooms, I sure as he!! wouldn't want to live in a fungus patch.

Flesh-eating bacteria flourish in the natural environment, but you'd be NUTS to swim naked with any open wound on your body where they were known to be.

Such a really silly argument. Sorry.

Yes, mold is everywhere.

And while I love to eat mushrooms, I sure as he!! wouldn't want to live in a fungus patch.

Flesh-eating bacteria flourish in the natural environment, but you'd be NUTS to swim naked with any open wound on your body where they were known to be.

Such a really silly argument. Sorry.

Pretty ignorant if you ask me. Mold is not to be minimized and dismissed so easily.

Clorox/Bleach does not kill mold. It might make it disappear for a short time but it will return. I don't do mold remediation either, but work for a local lab that tests for mold. Mold spores are everywhere and not all are going to hurt you. Best to have the tests run to see what mold you are actually dealing with.

Even an "as is" sale?

My understanding of the law is any defect has to be disclosed. If it's "as is", you are just buying KNOWING the defects and the risk, not asking for any repairs.

It is hard enough to get a mortgage these days. I can just imagine how hard it would be to get one on an "as is" house. Banks are nit picking home inspections to death. It has become the hardest part of the deal. Banks will say no to a loan over things as common as past termite problems and bad siding.

Even an "as is" sale?

My daughter just recently bought a house that need repairs for the bank to finance the mortgage. This was a bank owned foreclosure as is sale. We did go back to the bank with the problems and ask for them to repair them, in which they did. From my understanding from the real estate agent, if they had refused to repair then it would be reported to each potential purchaser the the home is not able to have FHA financing and the seller did not want that on all reports.

My daughter just recently bought a house that need repairs for the bank to finance the mortgage. This was a bank owned foreclosure as is sale. We did go back to the bank with the problems and ask for them to repair them, in which they did. From my understanding from the real estate agent, if they had refused to repair then it would be reported to each potential purchaser the the home is not able to have FHA financing and the seller did not want that on all reports.

Thank you for that information. We are just starting to look at places.

Unless it has been tested,no one knows if it's mold.Could be mildew....and bleach will get rid of it.

I sorta thought that mold and mildew were the same thing. Do you know what is the difference, and can mildew make you sick also? :unsure:

Chances are that the mold/mildew is from the lack of air circulation that would normally happen in a lived in house. No ac/furnace going to move air around and help with humidity. Should not be a persistent problem but definetly treat it now before it gets to be a serious issue. . The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency recommends seeking professional help when mold affects an area larger than 10 square feet. If you do it yourself make sure you use a premium fungicide and please wear proper clothing

We purchased a foreclosed home that sat vacant for 2 years, it had a lot of mold in the basement. We called out aquagaurd that quoted us $22,000 to completely waterproof the basement. My husband tore out the sheet rock, wiped everything down with clorox, and we purchased a dehumidifier. All is well and there is no more mold!

We purchased a foreclosed home that sat vacant for 2 years, it had a lot of mold in the basement. We called out aquagaurd that quoted us $22,000 to completely waterproof the basement. My husband tore out the sheet rock, wiped everything down with clorox, and we purchased a dehumidifier. All is well and there is no more mold!

Holy crap, probably could have had an entire basement replaced for that.