Paulding.com
Sign in to follow this  
Baileybleu

Kid Under 21 Gets Speeding Ticket

I think it is insane for your first ticket you get such a harsh punishment.

My niece got her first ticket and she is about to be 20.

She got probation for 30 days, a fine, and has to take a course.

I pesonaly find that a bit harsh. I understand if you had more than one but just for one ticket.

Maybe it's just me. Idk but probation seems crazy.

How far over the speed limit was she? I think that would be a bigger factor than age when determining the fine/ punishment. I do agree though, probation for a speeding ticket, regardless of speed, seems ludicrous. A driving course & fine would be fair.

The legislature is gradually making it more difficult for drivers under 21, especially those under 18. Every time there is a deadly accident with a young driver involved, there are those out there that push for more laws.

Was she doing 21 or over the speed limit? I'm thinking that's the case.

I'm glad they do it. I have seen way too many idiot kids acting like they are invincible.

She was going 15 over. I just thought it was extreme for a first offense.

Was she doing 21 or over the speed limit? I'm thinking that's the case.

I'm glad they do it. I have seen way too many idiot kids acting like they are invincible.

It's a law if your under 21 years of age.

Edited by CarolineElizabeth

I thought the law was if they incur 4 or more points? I meant to say 24 in my reply above. So she's had no other tickets, or are you only getting half of the story? Which court was it in?

Edited to add: I thought she got her license suspended, never mind. I guess I should work on my comprehension skills :unsure: But I still agree they should be strict with younger drivers.

Edited by justgettingby

It was her first ticket and I saw it and I'm getting full story bc her mom went.

It was first ticket for 15 over. In paulding

I think they should be strict but no one wants probation. Just thought that part was extreme for a first ticket

It's insane. There are just as many HORRIABLE drivers over the age of 21 as under....we won't even get into the speedlimits being WAY to low on most roads.

• Like 3

The reason she got probation is to make sure she goes to the course. The judge started ordering young offender to attend a course that addresses the dangers of distracted driving, such as texting, eating in the car, or just hanging out with friends and jamming to the music. These are some of the most dangerous and fatal activities for teen drivers, and after seeing so many of our teens die here in Paulding, the judge now how all young offenders attend, hoping that it may save their lives. So, the probation is in place so that the judge has a way to enforce the requirement of attending the class. If she let them just pay the fine and told them to attend the class, she would have no power over that person once they left the courtroom. I know probation sounds harsh, but it's just a process by which the court oversees those who are required to attend the course.

I was able to be there when Judge Andersen first presented the course to county leaders and law enforcement. It sends a pretty powerful (although graphic) message, and I think it should be required viewing for any teen getting a license.

• Like 2

So is she paying a fee for the probation, and a fee for the class. Sounds like a way for the probation folks, and the people giving the class to get some income.

One of my former bosses, who is now a State Court Judge in Cobb County (Traffic Court), would have been pleased with that for one of his former clients!! He was a tough criminal defense attorney, but I am sure that he would have said that was fair treatment. :)

First ticket OVER 15? Does that mean there have been other tickets under 15?

So is she paying a fee for the probation, and a fee for the class. Sounds like a way for the probation folks, and the people giving the class to get some income.

I'm fairly certain that there are no probation fees in these types of cases. Typically probationers only pay fees if they are having to report to the probation office each month. In these cases, the kids attend the class within the 30 days, and the probation officers are in the courtroom during the class, and close the case of each person who attends. Since there is no reporting, there shouldn't be any fees required.

My 22 year old son has lost 4 friends in "wreckless" driving accidents in the last 5 years. I hope the stricter punishment makes a huge impact on teens. I realize some of them are not necessarily doing anything other than going a little fast, but unfortunately, one bad apple --- just saying.

EVERYONE Speeds so those that are saying "if she didn't speed..." can go back to unicorn land.

As for this making an impact it won't. Traffic laws are about profit for the city. Not saftey. There are about a thousands ways to make the roads safer WITHOUT even using LEOs but the reason it isn't done is it takes money out of the guberments pockets.

• Like 1

First ticket OVER 15? Does that mean there have been other tickets under 15?

Her first ticket ever- she has had one ticket only with this being her first

She was going 15 over the limit

I just thought probation for a first offense Seemed extreme.

I do not condone wreck less driving and etc.

I also lost a best friend in high school due to a car accident that involved speeding. I do think all teens should be required to take a course regardless of a ticket.

The probation just seemed weird to me I guess when she has never been in trouble before.

Edited by CarolineElizabeth

I got my first ticket ever last year.

I'm so glad this didn't apply to me lol

I was going through the city of Hiram down that hill. I had no idea it was like 5 miles an hr lol

The reason she got probation is to make sure she goes to the course. The judge started ordering young offender to attend a course that addresses the dangers of distracted driving, such as texting, eating in the car, or just hanging out with friends and jamming to the music. These are some of the most dangerous and fatal activities for teen drivers, and after seeing so many of our teens die here in Paulding, the judge now how all young offenders attend, hoping that it may save their lives. So, the probation is in place so that the judge has a way to enforce the requirement of attending the class. If she let them just pay the fine and told them to attend the class, she would have no power over that person once they left the courtroom. I know probation sounds harsh, but it's just a process by which the court oversees those who are required to attend the course.

I was able to be there when Judge Andersen first presented the course to county leaders and law enforcement. It sends a pretty powerful (although graphic) message, and I think it should be required viewing for any teen getting a license.

My son had to do this his Sr yr....

Go with her to the course, you will be glad you did. Also Judge Anderson reduces the fine by half if you go to the course. Look at the paperwork you received - it will show that the fine is a lot lower than it should be.

Judge Anderson is doing a WONDERFUL thing for our new drivers. She is showing them what one little mistake can cost them WITHOUT raising $$$ for the county.

• Like 1

The legislature is gradually making it more difficult for drivers under 21, especially those under 18. Every time there is a deadly accident with a young driver involved, there are those out there that push for more laws.

It was not difficult...

You pay a lower fine

NO points on your license

Go to the course - Bring your younger soon to be driving kids with you -

THIS IS NOT A LAW

Judge Anderson is trying to show drivers in this county that being distracted while driving has EXTREME consequences.

I think she is doing a great service to our community.

It was not difficult...

You pay a lower fine

NO points on your license

Go to the course - Bring your younger soon to be driving kids with you -

THIS IS NOT A LAW

Judge Anderson is trying to show drivers in this county that being distracted while driving has EXTREME consequences.

I think she is doing a great service to our community.

Great explanation. Funny some will still try to spin this into some anti-government topic using the same old 'its about money' BS.

• Like 1

I just thought probation for a first offense Seemed extreme.

I think you just misunderstand what probation is, it is nothing more than a way to ensure a sentence is properly completed by a defendant. It is not an additional punishment.

I think you just misunderstand what probation is, it is nothing more than a way to ensure a sentence is properly completed by a defendant. It is not an additional punishment.

Perhaps incarceration would have been preferred to probation?

I learned about this law first hand in July of 2002. It was 4th of July weekend and I was late getting to my dad's to visit with out of town family. I was pulled over my Gainesville City PD. He was sitting on a side road "clocking" people and claimed he had me going 24 mph over the 45 mph posted limit. It was the first time I had ever been pulled over and was already crying as he approached my car. I knew I was speeding but I know for a fact that I wasn't going as fast as he stated. I did has enough sense to ask him to see the radar and he refused. Weeks went by, and my mom decided to go to court with me and had me plea not guilty. I stated my case to the judge and he completely sided with the officer and I was fined with a hefty speeding ticket, required to take defensive driving classes, was put on probation for 6 months where I had to report to my officer every Friday AND I lost my license for 6 months. This all happened on my now husbands 22nd birthday. As I handed my license over to the judge, I threw up in the court room from being so upset. At the time, I was working full time, and going to college full time not to mention, I was a goody-goody! :) I was slated to get license back the week after my 21st birthday. The week before, State Farm who we had been paying for my insurance for the past 6 months while my Explorer sat in the driveway, dropped me because they claimed I was a hazardous driver.

I did has enough sense to ask him to see the radar and he refused.

Hypothetically, what would the reading on the unit prove?

Edited by Ugadawgs98

Hypothetically, what would the reading on the unit prove?

You have the right to see all evidence that will be used against you in trial. His refusal could then be used to bring that evidence into question as to its accuracy and credibility.

When you go to the class the probation is dropped. If you do not attend the class they will issue a bench warrant.

BTW - they make sure you are there before the class & you pay your fines after the class.

Cash only - I believe.

You have the right to see all evidence that will be used against you in trial. His refusal could then be used to bring that evidence into question as to its accuracy and credibility.

Court on the side of the road? Umm...yeah. Since you are already accusing the officer of being dishonest then what makes you think the reading being shown was not one locked in hours earlier?

My last conflict was with a red light runner. I guess I should have let him sit in my car and watch the video which would disprove his 'it was yellow' excuse? Instead we will watch it together with the judge in court. That is where he has the right to challenge the evidence, not on the side of the road.

Edited by Ugadawgs98
  • Like 1

Is this like the old Signal 30 film from years ago? I still have anxiety attacks from that movie.

Court on the side of the road? Umm...yeah. Since you are already accusing the officer of being dishonest then what makes you think the reading being shown was not one locked in hours earlier?

My last conflict was with a red light runner. I guess I should have let him sit in my car and watch the video which would disprove his 'it was yellow' excuse? Instead we will watch it together with the judge in court. That is where he has the right to challenge the evidence, not on the side of the road.

What law enforcement agency do you work with?

When you go to the class the probation is dropped. If you do not attend the class they will issue a bench warrant.

BTW - they make sure you are there before the class & you pay your fines after the class.

Cash only - I believe.

Yes, cash only. And once I took the class, I still had to visit my probation officer, however, instead of every week, it was once a month. The class was so sketchy, I was in there with people who were taking it because of DUI's. Several weeks after I received my punishment, I was supposed to go to Destin with a group of friends. Because I would be gone on a Friday,I told my officer about the trip. Thank God I did! I had to give her the license plate numbers of all the drivers I would be with along with contact info. Crazy!

I was always told to ask to see the radar.

Just another one of those urban legends such as 'cops must read you your rights before they speak to you' and 'cops have to leave their lights on if they sit beside the road after dark or a ticket is no good'.

Just another one of those urban legends such as 'cops must read you your rights before they speak to you' and 'cops have to leave their lights on if they sit beside the road after dark or a ticket is no good'.

Yes, and it was a lesson learned, that and not all cops are good ones.

It was Unsupervised Probation for my son... It was just so he would attend the class and the probation was dismissed immediately after the class.

I still have him keep ALL the paperwork from that incident in his car - don't want any administrative snafu's to happen.

He was in an accident - not DUI - If your problem was also an offense you can be arrested for I can see why you still have probation.

Is this like the old Signal 30 film from years ago? I still have anxiety attacks from that movie.

This one was very upsetting...

It was mostly video of parents who had lost children due to texting, not wearing seatbelts, messing with the radio.... things a lot of us do while driving.

They try to have at least one parent there to address the attendees live & in person.

I cried all the way through it. But I don't remember ever hiding my eyes.... and I do that alot during NCIS & other shows!!

Edited by baseballmom

It was Unsupervised Probation for my son... It was just so he would attend the class and the probation was dismissed immediately after the class.

I still have him keep ALL the paperwork from that incident in his car - don't want any administrative snafu's to happen.

He was in an accident - not DUI - If your problem was also an offense you can be arrested for I can see why you still have probation.

10 years later and I STILL have all the paperwork! :) mine was just speeding 24 mph over the posted speed limit and being under the age of 21.

Edited by mackenzie61104

Yes, and it was a lesson learned, that and not all cops are good ones.

Speaking of that, what has happened to the Hiram PD? I remember when everyone on the force greeted you with a smile, spoke to everyone. The last few that I have had contact with just came across as horses asses. Like a little Rambo wannabe. I hope someone has the ability to reign them in before they get a reputation like Powder Springs had back in the 90s.