Paulding.com
Sign in to follow this  
Jeanne O'Halleran Law

Has scouting made an impact in your life?

As the school year starts up, it's time to start thinking about registering your boys for scouts. Scouting is an excellent opportunity for boys to learn about teamwork, leadership, responsibility, service to our community, and a wealth of other lessons that will help them grow up to be strong young men.

My son is a member of Pack 306 in the East Paulding area. This will be his third year in the pack, and he absolutely loves it! If you have a boy who may be interested in scouting, feel free to send me a message and I will give you more information about our pack. If you are not in our area, check out beascout.org to search for the pack or troop that's closest to you. We have Cub Scout Packs and Boy Scout Troops throughout Paulding County.

www.BeAScout.org

We've been leaders and have 2 kids in scouts--boys and girls--both kids have enjoyed the activites and skills learned as well as field trips they would have never gotten if just relying on schools---made some great friendships and learned leadership skills.

Very proud of both.

We are with Pack 306 and last night the energy in the building was amazing! Last year was fantastic but this year, if the first night is any indication, is going to make the first year look like nothing! I wouldn't give up any of the time I had with my son during meetings and camp outs up for NOTHING!

We are with Pack 306 and last night the energy in the building was amazing! Last year was fantastic but this year, if the first night is any indication, is going to make the first year look like nothing! I wouldn't give up any of the time I had with my son during meetings and camp outs up for NOTHING!

You're right - last night was a great way to start the year. I think everyone is going to have a blast this year!

My son is in Troop 687 at Pumpkinvine Baptist Church. One of the best things we have ever done with him. He has been there since he was a Tiger Cub. Great leaders in this Troop and others around here. If you have a son, by all means check it out and give it a try.

My husband is the Scout Master of Troop 321 out of Hickory Heights Baptist Church (NE side of Paulding County) He has been in Scouting for over 30 years. He is an Eagle Scout and a very proud one. He lives the Scout Oath.

Things I have learned being married to a Scout Master:

1. Boy Scouts is a boy led organization. Meaning that they really learn how it is going to be as an adult. They have patrols within the troop which allow boys to lead the boys.

2. Merit badges that the boys earn can and does lead to career paths.

3. Some boys are in it just to camp while most want to earn rank and advance. It's okay either way.

4. Some boys do not have a good man as a role model. Scouting gives them that.

5. Scouting is a great way for a father to get involved with his son. The Dad can become a member of the committee or a Asst. Scout Master. Mothers too!!!

Anyway I could go on and on about scouting. As a wife of the SM, I have seen boys who have grown up in scouting become members of the military and how proud my husband is of them! We still get phone calls from one boy/man. He was a very troubled boy. He had no good father figure. He is now working in another country as a fire fighter.

There have been boys deathly afraid of the water to obtain the goal of the mile swim at summer camp. We have had several scouts this summer become couselors at Summer Camps. We have had one scout save his grandmother's life when she was choking on a piece of food. He learned how to save her thur scouting.

Only a few people who know us have any idea how much time my husband spends preparing for all the scouting events. He has finally surrounded himself with awesome Assistant Scout Masters who help him. He did step down as SM for a year because I asked him too. It was when we first retired. We had plans to travel and we did. I saw how much he missed just being on the side lines and he went back to being the SM with my blessing.

Scouting is just a part of our life!!!

• Like 1

My husband is the Scout Master of Troop 321 out of Hickory Heights Baptist Church (NE side of Paulding County) He has been in Scouting for over 30 years. He is an Eagle Scout and a very proud one. He lives the Scout Oath.

Things I have learned being married to a Scout Master:

1. Boy Scouts is a boy led organization. Meaning that they really learn how it is going to be as an adult. They have patrols within the troop which allow boys to lead the boys.

2. Merit badges that the boys earn can and does lead to career paths.

3. Some boys are in it just to camp while most want to earn rank and advance. It's okay either way.

4. Some boys do not have a good man as a role model. Scouting gives them that.

5. Scouting is a great way for a father to get involved with his son. The Dad can become a member of the committee or a Asst. Scout Master. Mothers too!!!

Anyway I could go on and on about scouting. As a wife of the SM, I have seen boys who have grown up in scouting become members of the military and how proud my husband is of them! We still get phone calls from one boy/man. He was a very troubled boy. He had no good father figure. He is now working in another country as a fire fighter.

There have been boys deathly afraid of the water to obtain the goal of the mile swim at summer camp. We have had several scouts this summer become couselors at Summer Camps. We have had one scout save his grandmother's life when she was choking on a piece of food. He learned how to save her thur scouting.

Only a few people who know us have any idea how much time my husband spends preparing for all the scouting events. He has finally surrounded himself with awesome Assistant Scout Masters who help him. He did step down as SM for a year because I asked him too. It was when we first retired. We had plans to travel and we did. I saw how much he missed just being on the side lines and he went back to being the SM with my blessing.

Scouting is just a part of our life!!!

Kudos for giving of your time to scouting.

When we lived in Rabun County in the 1980s, I got back involved with Scouting and got certified as an assistant scoutmaster, and had a fun 2 years working with the boys. I occupied kind of a unique niche in the troop, as I was 15-16 years older than the boys, buy also 15 years or so younger than the rest of the dads, committee members, etc. We had a great troop with a very active and involved committee running it. We also had 3 active assistant scoutmasters and did 1 campout weekend a month, and 2 trips per year to places like Waycross, the underground lake in Tennessee, and other such venues.

We looked after Camp Rainy Mountain, and it did not hurt to have so many places to go on our doorstoop.

We looked after the Bartram and Appalacian trails which were in Rabun.

As might be expected, my first merit badge was cooking. Bon Apetitie!drinks.gif

And also did architecture, [which I still do drafting design work today on Autocad from what I learned originally as a scout], marksmanship, swimming. Somewhere I still have my sash, and my Philmont Belt and 100 mile Philmont award.

Your husband deserves a big, ATTA-BOY for staying involved.

My husband is cubmaster, and I'm treasurer, and chair several committees. Being a scout leader is definitely hard work, but so rewarding. I love that we can do so much together as a family, and to see the boys grow and learn is amazing, especially as the older boys take on leadership roles and begin helping the younger boys. Kudos to those of you that have been involved for so long!

I believe there is a need for leaders at McGarity Elementary School and Poole Elementary School. If your children attend either of those, and you'd like to help with a Pack, get in touch with Just thinkin' hard here and she can put you in touch with the right people. I hear she has connections.

Scouting is so much fun for the kids and adults. :)

My admiration to all of you who are keeping Scouting alive! Alittle piece of scouting history/trivia....my Grandfather, David Reid, started the very first Boy Scout Troop in North America. It was in Nova Scotia, and shortly after, he moved to Connecticut. I have a newspaper article with a picture of him and the boys!

Keep up the good work. It MAKES A DIFFERENCE!

Kudos for giving of your time to scouting.

When we lived in Rabun County in the 1980s, I got back involved with Scouting and got certified as an assistant scoutmaster, and had a fun 2 years working with the boys. I occupied kind of a unique niche in the troop, as I was 15-16 years older than the boys, buy also 15 years or so younger than the rest of the dads, committee members, etc. We had a great troop with a very active and involved committee running it. We also had 3 active assistant scoutmasters and did 1 campout weekend a month, and 2 trips per year to places like Waycross, the underground lake in Tennessee, and other such venues.

We looked after Camp Rainy Mountain, and it did not hurt to have so many places to go on our doorstoop.

We looked after the Bartram and Appalacian trails which were in Rabun.

As might be expected, my first merit badge was cooking. Bon Apetitie!drinks.gif

And also did architecture, [which I still do drafting design work today on Autocad from what I learned originally as a scout], marksmanship, swimming. Somewhere I still have my sash, and my Philmont Belt and 100 mile Philmont award.

Your husband deserves a big, ATTA-BOY for staying involved.

He gets a little atta-boy every time he sees these boys turn into men!!!

Oh, the soap box I can get on when it comes to scouts. Let me just summarize. I am involved. My hubby is involved. My oldest is one requirement of one merit badge away from his Eagle. My youngest is working on his star rank. My father is our Assistant Scoutmaster for High Adventure and is a former Scoutmaster (also known as an OF or Old Fart). My mother is involved. Of my very close circle of girl friends - one is a merit badge counselor, one is the head of the county scouts, one has two boys in scouts and her hubby is involved - she stepped back because they have a brand new baby, and one is a cub mom that helps out when needed and when her schedule allows.

This doesn't mean that scouting is all we do (believe it or not). Scouting is built around the idea and hope that these young men (and high school aged ladies) will have other activities. My oldest cheers on two cheerleading squads. My youngest plays select soccer. I'm the team manager for the soccer team. In no way does scouting ask or even want these kids to step back from the rest of their activities.

If you want more testimonial - or information - please feel free to contact me. :)!

I'll leave you with one quick story - my dad retired after 32 years as a civilian with the Army. As a surprised, 13 of his 14 Eagles showed up at his retirement party (the 14th was deployed in the Mediterranean Sea). They started talking about all the things they had learned in scouting - being prepared - being calm - overcoming adversity - thinking on their feet - leadership and followership and when they had learned it. What my dad learned that day is that the trips that he thought were absolute failures were the trips that the scouts learned the most on and remembered fondly. When they were chased by a bear in the Shenandoah Mountains. When Daisy the Dog wore her pads off in the Adirondack Mountains. When they had to escape oncoming flooding and hurricane in the Smoky Mountains. When one of my dad's friends had a near heart attack on the Appalachian Trail. The scouts walked out of these adversities stronger and faithful that they can handle just about anything.