Paulding.com
Sign in to follow this  
catalanojo

wednesday accident Hiram Sudie & Bill Carruth

What time was this??? I come through there a little before 7:00 and everything was clear???

I saw this on my way to pick up my grandson from Children's Palace. It was not bad going my way, but I decided to go up to 278 and take the long way around instead of getting stuck in the traffic on Bill Carruth. I saw one vehicle in the intersection, one off the road, and there was a smashed-up Mustang further down on Bill Carruth before you got to the intersection. I couldn't figure out if it was involved in the accident or not. There were a lot of cars pulled over. I was going to listen to the scanner archieves but didn't have time.

I hope everyone was ok!!

Saw the cleanup with the crunched up cars and spraypainted road. Cars looked bad-- t bone, if I recall correctly.

Spray paint usually isn't a good sign - it's typically used to mark the scene for later investigation, which is usually only done if there is a fatality. Praying for all involved.

dallas-hiram.patch.com/articles/four-injured-in-wednesday-crash

A Wednesday afternoon crash on Bill Carruth Parkway at Hiram-Sudie Road sent two adults and two children to area hospitals.

According to Georgia State Patrol Spokesman Gordy Wright, a Dodge Durango was traveling north on Bill Carruth Parkway and a Jeep Grand Cherokee was traveling south. The Dodge turned left in front of the Jeep, which led to the Jeep hitting the vehicle in the right front.

The driver of the Jeep, 56-year-old Vicki Dunn Ecklund of Dallas, was taken to WellStar Kennestone Hospital following the crash.

Transported to Cobb Medical were three individuals in the Dodge—its 30-year-old driver, Katherine Tanicka Vaughn; 9-year-old Kiley Vaughn and 6-year-old Shanya Vaughn.

The extent of the injuries was not known as of Thursday afternoon.

Katherine Tanicka Vaughn was cited with failing to yield while turning left.

My opinion is I hate that left turners do not have to yield before right turners because the car going straight is the one that gets the grief. I have noticed the left turners want to make sure they get across before your taking a right even at the one that is going straight's expense. That is the most ridiculous law I have seen yet.

I sat at the scene and saw the people being put in ambulances and children in back of one vehicle while mother put on stretcher. I felt sorry for all involved knowing how life changing an instant can change it.

What I'd like to know is this.

I don't get out much, but to my knowledge this particular intersection seems to have a high rate of accidents. I try to avoid it actually, because if I've seen at least 3 accidents and yet don't leave my home but once maybe twice a week and don't always go in that direction, then the probability of this occurring when I do seems really high.

To me the lay of the land there is horrible. There is a knoll blindspot coming from two directions to keep a driver from seeing oncoming traffic and make those horrible left hand turns either from south going north on Bill C turning left onto H-Sudie or from Hwy 92 up Hiram Sudie turning left onto Bill C. headed south.

I even thought of trying to get the stats on the accident rate at this intersection to determine if the state/county needed to change the slope of the roads to stop this madness. Anyone got info on this?

Then again I told myself to not go that way to get to Hiram!

My wishes are that all are going to heal from whatever injuries received and that the people of this county that use that intersection will call for action to change it, if indeed it has a high accident rate.

I live near that area and there are always a ton of accidents at that intersection. I think a lot of it has to do with the fact that if you are driving east on Bill Caruth (towards Dallas, etc) and you try to make a left, there is a terrible blind spot because the cars coming west are driving uphill and it's hard to see them. THere are also accidents because people making a right onto Hiram Sudie have to yield to the drivers making a left and it's hard to see them. I absolutely hate that intersection.

I got hit at the intersection of hiram sudie and bill Carruth a couple of years ago. I wonder if bill Carruth envisioned all of this carnage when he thought of the road.

Edited by CrabbyDaddy

I think a left turn on green arrow only would cut it down.

Yes, any accident no matter how it happens is life altering. Leaves you feeling what if, and if only's a lot afterwards. Its devastating. A lot has been said about that area and not only Hiram sudie and bill carruth but the nebo and bill Carruth intersection isn't much better. Maybe its time to write transportation about it.

Spray paint usually isn't a good sign - it's typically used to mark the scene for later investigation, which is usually only done if there is a fatality. Praying for all involved.

They will do it for serious accidents that will likely be litigated as well. It is a officer call. it is not difficult to mark the locations and major indicators like skids, gouges and debris. hopefully there were no fatalities.

dallas-hiram.patch.com/articles/four-injured-in-wednesday-crash

A Wednesday afternoon crash on Bill Carruth Parkway at Hiram-Sudie Road sent two adults and two children to area hospitals.

According to Georgia State Patrol Spokesman Gordy Wright, a Dodge Durango was traveling north on Bill Carruth Parkway and a Jeep Grand Cherokee was traveling south. The Dodge turned left in front of the Jeep, which led to the Jeep hitting the vehicle in the right front.

The driver of the Jeep, 56-year-old Vicki Dunn Ecklund of Dallas, was taken to WellStar Kennestone Hospital following the crash.

Transported to Cobb Medical were three individuals in the Dodge—its 30-year-old driver, Katherine Tanicka Vaughn; 9-year-old Kiley Vaughn and 6-year-old Shanya Vaughn.

The extent of the injuries was not known as of Thursday afternoon.

Katherine Tanicka Vaughn was cited with failing to yield while turning left.

My opinion is I hate that left turners do not have to yield before right turners because the car going straight is the one that gets the grief. I have noticed the left turners want to make sure they get across before your taking a right even at the one that is going straight's expense. That is the most ridiculous law I have seen yet.

depending on the intersection in question the yield to left turning traffic is required. If the left turn traffic is given a green arrow, how would the oncoming right turn traffic know. If this was not the case then the right turning traffic would have ROW over the left turn even though they had a green arrow. It is the only way to make sure that the right turns actually yield on the green arrow. Understand?

depending on the intersection in question the yield to left turning traffic is required. If the left turn traffic is given a green arrow, how would the oncoming right turn traffic know. If this was not the case then the right turning traffic would have ROW over the left turn even though they had a green arrow. It is the only way to make sure that the right turns actually yield on the green arrow. Understand?

I have seen a red light strictly for the right turn lane which lets the right turners know its the left turn lanes time to go. That is included with no right on red. In order to prevent such costly accidents, especially at sight restricted areas, I could see where a different light system would work. Since they changed that yield junk, more deadly accidents have occurred since the oncoming traffic going straight is going at least the posted speed limit when hit. That is who gets hit more often then not. I have been trying to research it.

I have seen a red light strictly for the right turn lane which lets the right turners know its the left turn lanes time to go. That is included with no right on red. In order to prevent such costly accidents, especially at sight restricted areas, I could see where a different light system would work. Since they changed that yield junk, more deadly accidents have occurred since the oncoming traffic going straight is going at least the posted speed limit when hit. That is who gets hit more often then not. I have been trying to research it.

That does work as well but is much more costly. It would be helpful if folks understood the right on red and yield laws a little better.

(B) Vehicular traffic facing a steady CIRCULAR RED signal may cautiously enter the intersection to make a right turn after stopping as provided in subparagraph (A) of this paragraph. Such vehicular traffic shall stop and remain stopped to allow a pedestrian to cross the roadway within a crosswalk when the pedestrian is upon the half of the roadway upon which the vehicle is traveling, or when the pedestrian is approaching and is within one lane of the half of the roadway on which the vehicle is traveling or onto which it is turning. For the purposes of this subparagraph, 'half of the roadway' means all traffic lanes carrying traffic in one direction of travel. Vehicular traffic shall yield the right of way to other traffic lawfully using the intersection;

© The driver of a vehicle approaching a yield sign shall, in obedience to such sign, slow down to a speed reasonable for the existing conditions and, if required for safety to stop, shall stop at a clearly marked stop line or, if there is no stop line, before entering the crosswalk on the near side of the intersection or, if there is no crosswalk, at the point nearest the intersecting roadway where the driver has a view of approaching traffic on the intersecting roadway before entering it. After slowing or stopping, the driver shall yield the right of way to any vehicle in the intersection or approaching on another roadway so closely as to constitute an immediate hazard during the time such driver is moving across or within the intersection or junction of roadways. If such a driver is involved in a collision with a vehicle in the intersection after driving past a yield sign without stopping, such collision shall be deemed prima-facie evidence of his failure to yield the right of way.

How many folks treat a yield sign as nothing more than a device enabling them to turn on red without the absoulte requirement to stop before turning. Most folks are totally oblivious to the part where they are required to slow and then stop if the situation requires.

I live near that area and there are always a ton of accidents at that intersection. I think a lot of it has to do with the fact that if you are driving east on Bill Caruth (towards Dallas, etc) and you try to make a left, there is a terrible blind spot because the cars coming west are driving uphill and it's hard to see them. THere are also accidents because people making a right onto Hiram Sudie have to yield to the drivers making a left and it's hard to see them. I absolutely hate that intersection.

You know some people do not know when to yield. When I am in this situation I watch very carefully. The 4 way stop sign at 61 & Nebo is awful.