Paulding.com

Why did the wrong people get elected

We talk about the election but! How could Paulette get re-elected when you had honest law biding canidates to choose from?

We talked about Bill and we don't like his voting for things we don't want but look at the votes he got.

So now what?:angry2:

What needs to happen is that the little (I) next to their name on the ballot needs to disappear. If a voter, who is often either uninformed or misinformed, doesn't know who is already serving in the position they might vote for who they have heard the most good things about and vote against the one who they have heard the most bad things about. Since few people really have a clue who represents them, it really is to that "public" servant's advantage to have (I) next to their name.

I don't have a dog in any Paulding fight but I am disappointed in some of the results, simply because I have such strong ties to Paulding.

• Like 2

What needs to happen is that the little (I) next to their name on the ballot needs to disappear. If a voter, who is often either uninformed or misinformed, doesn't know who is already serving in the position they might vote for who they have heard the most good things about and vote against the one who they have heard the most bad things about. Since few people really have a clue who represents them, it really is to that "public" servant's advantage to have (I) next to their name.

I don't have a dog in any Paulding fight but I am disappointed in some of the results, simply because I have such strong ties to Paulding.

I agree the (I) is the easy choice for a casual voter. Had I not been on Paulding.com I would have voted for Braddock because I didn't know her Challengers I didn't get any info from them at my house. Fair or unfair, the majority of people are going to vote for the person on the ballot who they saw the most advertising for. Because that is a familiar name.

One of Braddock's challengers shot himself in the foot at the last minute.

And with his website, his ads, and pretty much every time he opened his mouth. wacko.gif

Is it because people just don't care or uneducated?

I was completely educated and made the best choice for the 19th.

I agree the (I) is the easy choice for a casual voter. Had I not been on Paulding.com I would have voted for Braddock because I didn't know her Challengers I didn't get any info from them at my house. Fair or unfair, the majority of people are going to vote for the person on the ballot who they saw the most advertising for. Because that is a familiar name.

There were things wrong with the people running against her. People had to decide what they would rather deal with. I do think for some just the fact she was already on office and just looking at her voting record was enough for some to keep her in office. A lot of people hate taxes and owe taxes so to them the fact she owes would not be a big deal. Look at all the elected people in office right now who owe taxes. Not a big deal anymore. Then there is the group of people who will vote for the person who does not sling a lot of mid when running. Some feel if you have to run such a ugly campaign then you have a lot to hide and will not vote for you. You send so much time downing the other person you never get your point across of how in office you would do a better job and for what reasons. When you get in the mud you have to make sure you do not get covered in it while throwing it.

And with his website, his ads, and pretty much every time he opened his mouth. wacko.gif

I was completely educated and made the best choice for the 19th.

Leave me out of it. It will be a cold day in hell when that woman has the intellect or integrity to represent me. Glad you're proud. Birds of a feather.

• Like 1

Nearly everone I voted for lost...coroner, school board, county commissioner, etc.

At least I was correct on the TSPLOST! I voted NO on that one.

Well then you are in good company because according to people on here if your person lost it was because of everyone else being uneducated or having more money.

Leave me out of it. It will be a cold day in hell when that woman has the intellect or integrity to represent me. Glad you're proud. Birds of a feather.

Whatever. You stay bitter. I'll move on. pardon.gif If you want her voted out, provide better options. There simply weren't any this time.

Whatever. You stay bitter. I'll move on. pardon.gif If you want her voted out, provide better options. There simply weren't any this time.

I'm not bitter. I just think you people elected the village idiot. Thank God she doesn't have enough sense to do much damage beyond Miss Jessie's shopping cart. And she should be in jail by the time the next legislative session rolls around.

• Like 1

It really just boils down to money. I think wineguy made the comment last night, and I completely agree with him, that there is a very strong correlation between the number of signs/flyers a candidate has out in the public and the number of votes they receive. Braddock is a tax-evading criminal but had her name on large, professional looking signs all over her district. Tony Crowe ran a campaign of silence that Mitt Romney would be jealous of yet nearly pulled 50% of the vote likely due to the 50 trillion signs he had all over the county. Bill Heath and Carruth both did well in their head-to-head because they both dropped a ton of money on publicity. Name recognition means something and often that name recognition can only be attained by spending money on advertising...this is why incumbents often enjoy a great advantage in GA elections.

You find someone who can raise $100-200K in campaign funds for a freaking state house/senate seat (Bill Carruth) and you'll see change around here....otherwise it will remain the status quo until someone steps down (or is forced to step down, Paulette).

mrnn

We talk about the election but! How could Paulette get re-elected when you had honest law biding candidates to choose from?

We talked about Bill and we don't like his voting for things we don't want but look at the votes he got.

Animal:

They have their supporters. Paulette was endorsed by Newt, got some kind of chamber endorsement and is supported strongly by Virginia and AFP. She was well funded, had multiple items placed in mailboxes and basically outspent - I imagine - both her opponents combined by a factor of at least 2:1. And she was an incumbent.

Once again this election demonstrated that running a political campaign primarily on message boards is ineffective.

That is like saying this election demonstrated that campaigns that engage the public in public are ineffective.

The plain truth is that the conflicts of the public square were here.

The real impact of the message boards in this election, and this I feel is a shame, is that the contentiousness of both sides, particularly in the Heath-Carruth race, turned voters off of voting and that can be seen by the fact that Paulding had just about the lowest turnout of any county in the state. (we ranked 149 out of 159 counties.)

Paulding was the center of the negativity in the 31st. Both Haralson and Polk had turnouts in the 35-40 percent range while Paulding's turnout was just 23.85%.

The negativity here was just a reflection of the negativity overall in the county. The resounding defeat of the TSPOST is another example and talk about a measure that got more than its fair share of opponents yelling their disgust for government ... and the attitudes of those ranting on this subject were plain depressing.

Now throw in the star of the show, Paulette, and her woes of contempt for and of ethics and the average voter is saying this is a madhouse, let me out.

They come here and hear that and see the bickering and all and frankly, tons of them simply disengaged.

In a sense, zorro, we weren't effective, we simply reflected and amplified the feelings out there and those feelings, the voters said, were an absolute turnoff and they just didn't show up at the polls.

Frankly, I lay it all on Mr. Heath ... whose campaigns have given notice that nothing is too low to do to win. The end result is that there are better, more inspiring candidates out there who won't run because they see the stage here is one that covered in mud. Things weren't like this before his arrival. There was a certain amoitt of civility that is totally absent.

And with out inspiring candidates that inspire voters the average voter - that 15% of the folks who didn't show up at the polls in Paulding - are just so turned off they just don't care.

Know that this attitude of negativity is not just pervasive but cultivated. It is part of the continuing strategies of those on the extreme right, IMO.

pubby

Animal:

They have their supporters. Paulette was endorsed by Newt, got some kind of chamber endorsement and is supported strongly by Virginia and AFP. She was well funded, had multiple items placed in mailboxes and basically outspent - I imagine - both her opponents combined by a factor of at least 2:1. And she was an incumbent.

That is like saying this election demonstrated that campaigns that engage the public in public are ineffective.

The plain truth is that the conflicts of the public square were here.

The real impact of the message boards in this election, and this I feel is a shame, is that the contentiousness of both sides, particularly in the Heath-Carruth race, turned voters off of voting and that can be seen by the fact that Paulding had just about the lowest turnout of any county in the state. (we ranked 149 out of 159 counties.)

Paulding was the center of the negativity in the 31st. Both Haralson and Polk had turnouts in the 35-40 percent range while Paulding's turnout was just 23.85%.

The negativity here was just a reflection of the negativity overall in the county. The resounding defeat of the TSPOST is another example and talk about a measure that got more than its fair share of opponents yelling their disgust for government ... and the attitudes of those ranting on this subject were plain depressing.

Now throw in the star of the show, Paulette, and her woes of contempt for and of ethics and the average voter is saying this is a madhouse, let me out.

They come here and hear that and see the bickering and all and frankly, tons of them simply disengaged.

In a sense, zorro, we weren't effective, we simply reflected and amplified the feelings out there and those feelings, the voters said, were an absolute turnoff and they just didn't show up at the polls.

Frankly, I lay it all on Mr. Heath ... whose campaigns have given notice that nothing is too low to do to win. The end result is that there are better, more inspiring candidates out there who won't run because they see the stage here is one that covered in mud. Things weren't like this before his arrival. There was a certain amoitt of civility that is totally absent.

And with out inspiring candidates that inspire voters the average voter - that 15% of the folks who didn't show up at the polls in Paulding - are just so turned off they just don't care.

Know that this attitude of negativity is not just pervasive but cultivated. It is part of the continuing strategies of those on the extreme right, IMO.

pubby

Really? You want to single out one party for negativity?

We talk about the election but! How could Paulette get re-elected when you had honest law biding canidates to choose from?

I don't think it's "WHY?", Animal, as much as it is "WHY NOT???"

After all, this is the State of Georgia. Government is by the people. The people elect the representatives they want.

When the state comes up with the worse foreclosure rate, in the country, you hear a different excuse other than "it's our own fault".

When the state get an "F" in integrity and the ability to protect its citizens from Public Corruption, you hear the excuses of, "It's A Biased Hit Job."

There is no reason to ask why, when the simple question is "WHY NOT?"

You HAVE to be Kidding. She won. SOOOO Glad I don't live in PC anymore. Good Greif.

You HAVE to be Kidding. She won. SOOOO Glad I don't live in PC anymore. Good Greif.

I havent said it too much, but I am glad I am moving as well. I will be leaving at the end of the year to move to East Cobb. I was hoping that when I left my rental property in Paulding would be left in good hands. I still have hope for the Senate, but the House has two more years of shame.

I havent said it too much, but I am glad I am moving as well. I will be leaving at the end of the year to move to East Cobb. I was hoping that when I left my rental property in Paulding would be left in good hands. I still have hope for the Senate, but the House has two more years of shame.

...and she won by a landslide. some REAL smart folks in D19 I see.

That's good, Wineguy! My sister loves it out there in East Cobb.

I am not so lucky as she is, but at least I don't live in Paulding, anymore.

One question, Wineguy. Has senior citizens been getting a discount on their water bill, in Paulding county, like they do in Cobb county? I am a senior citizen, and I don't get that discount in Cherokee county.

Really? You want to single out one party for negativity?

I know too many Republicans who are as upset over the negativity of the ultra-right to put a party label on it.

Indeed, look at specific consultants as the purveyors of the manure. There are candidates that hire them but they may not even be ideological ... it is just the one's that hire them here are hard right candidates.

pubby

I know too many Republicans who are as upset over the negativity of the ultra-right to put a party label on it.

Indeed, look at specific consultants as the purveyors of the manure. There are candidates that hire them but they may not even be ideological ... it is just the one's that hire them here are hard right candidates.

pubby

Really? I guess the democrats are using negative ads against Romney, nor did they use them against McCain....

Negative politics happen on both sides of the fence - to blame it purely on the Republicans is just silly.

• Like 1

Really? I guess the democrats are using negative ads against Romney, nor did they use them against McCain....

Negative politics happen on both sides of the fence - to blame it purely on the Republicans is just silly.

And I'm not blaming it solely on Republicans.

However, I think there was one Democrat on the ballot running unopposed in the July 31 primary from Dist. 66. The negativity I'm speaking of comes primarily from the District 31 State Senate race ... and there are no Democrats running in that race.

pubby

However, I think there was one Democrat on the ballot running unopposed in the July 31 primary from Dist. 66. The negativity I'm speaking of comes primarily from the District 31 State Senate race ... and there are no Democrats running in that race.

pubby

If there are no Democrats running then there is no one to sling the mud. Just because there isn't a race doesn't mean their noses would be clean in the same situation.

If there are no Democrats running then there is no one to sling the mud. Just because there isn't a race doesn't mean their noses would be clean in the same situation.

The last Democrat to run, Nathan Dean, didn't run a negative campaign. The current holder of the D-31 seat has built his reputation on running the nastiest negative campaigns.

I'm not at all saying this is a black and white issue between the parties. I know many good Republicans including Mason Rountree, who were positive in their campaign politics. Even David Austins campaign was a positive, forward looking one and he's a Republican too, isn't he?

pubby

pubby

Oh, there was negativity in District 66 from one Rep directed at another Rep.

So since Heath's "plant" will not be in the runoff maybe we can push him out of office.

I try to stay informed, but I can't remember. What are the rules about voting in the runoffs? Is it anyone that was registered before the primary deadline or did you have to vote in the primary to be eligible to vote in the runoff?

I voted for Rogers last time and will be voting for Carruth this time. Getting rid of Heath is one step closer to getting rid of Paulette and the Galloways.

• Like 3

Oh, there was negativity in District 66 from one Rep directed at another Rep.

And .... both those candidates were Republicans.

Still JJ, that is irrelevant. Candidates go negative against their opponents because 'it works'. It forces movement.

My point there is plenty of territory for negative advertising without it going overboard - i.e. to the point that it distorts facts enormously or even makes them up out of whole cloth.

The political consultants, in races like that of Mr. Heath, are discovering that the bigger the lie, the better the impact because people are not that critical in their thinking.

And for that matter, I would go for penalizing either side for lying.

The problem we have today is that we can't say, I won't vote for politician who lies ... because frankly, one of the main reasons a politician is successful is that they lie better than others.

But we've got to come up with a way to punish the outlandish, serial prevaricator we call a politician rather than rewarding the best liar with a public job of such high esteem that people heap gifts upon them.

Oh, and MHO is that by trying to deflect the criticism, those who do demonstrate enabling behavior for the mental midgets that are know for playing that game.

pubby

We need a new Sect. of State. If Karen Handel or Kathy Cox were still Sect of State, I can't see them letting Paulette or Bill Carruth run.

I think Paulette got re-elected because she has a very good voting record, plus, the 2 people running against her. One leans to the left so far they should have run as a democrat. One leans to the right so far there is no telling what is on their mind.

I feel like I have been stalked for months by Heath and Carruth. Now it going on for another 3 weeks!

We need a new Sect. of State. If Karen Handel or Kathy Cox were still Sect of State, I can't see them letting Paulette or Bill Carruth run.

I think Paulette got re-elected because she has a very good voting record, plus, the 2 people running against her. One leans to the left so far they should have run as a democrat. One leans to the right so far there is no telling what is on their mind.

I feel like I have been stalked for months by Heath and Carruth. Now it going on for another 3 weeks!

:yahoo: :clapping: :clapping:

I think the opposite, I think most of us are tired of the negative campaigns, especially the bashing on social networking sites. If I were campaigning for a candidate I'd be real careful what I post for everyone to see. It's the hate and name calling that turns people off to YOUR candidate. Blaming someone else for personal gain doesn't bode well. Stick to the facts and leave the personal stuff out of it, and please don't spread lies.

I think the opposite, I think most of us are tired of the negative campaigns, especially the bashing on social networking sites. If I were campaigning for a candidate I'd be real careful what I post for everyone to see. It's the hate and name calling that turns people off to YOUR candidate. Blaming someone else for personal gain doesn't bode well. Stick to the facts and leave the personal stuff out of it, and please don't spread lies.

Since when are court orders not considered facts? :blink:

If you want to vote for a tax cheat, go ahead. But at least have the guts to own it.

Since when are court orders not considered facts? :blink:

If you want to vote for a tax cheat, go ahead. But at least have the guts to own it.

See this is what I mean, why not provide the information and leave it at that. What good does calling people names do?? If she didn't pay her taxes, if she has judgements against her, we should know about it but that's enough. JMO

See this is what I mean, why not provide the information and leave it at that. What good does calling people names do?? If she didn't pay her taxes, if she has judgements against her, we should know about it but that's enough. JMO

I understand your point ctygirl ... really, the comment that if you want to vote for her, you own it is overboard and unnecessary.

On the other hand, the average American voter is so assaulted by advertising, entertainment, etc. that it is funny ... literally funny. How so? Take Jay Leno's man on the street interviews where he asks things as simple as what happened in 1776 or even who is Joe Biden ... to wholly and totally clueless people who are so cocooned in their lives a nuke would have to hit them on the head before they'd even consider wondering about something outside their narrow sphere.

The effort to communicate to even those who are aware enough and interested enough is an expensive proposition in large part because the media seeks more money for its pockets (and we're not talking the nickels and dimes a poor outlet like PCOM seeks to get to survive.)

So when a state representative is held in contempt of the federal court and there is not so much as a story on page 7 in section C much less a mention in the 6 pm or 11 pm news ... those who have this information scream about it anywhere and everywhere they can.

Pretty soon the cacophony is overwhelming and if you did know what happened on July 4, 1776, you probably forgot it in the middle of the headache that was your morning.

The real problem is that there is nothing but confusion amongst the majority of folks. There is no generally accepted plan.

Right now, we'd be so much better off if there were, say, a spokesman for the Macland Road project that spoke for the citizens along that road. They would have been probably a very vocal supporter for the TSPLOST. Ditto the folks along 92 and the others at GA 61 and US 278.

But that is not going to happen either.

Inertia ... which comes from the leave me alone mantra ... has become such a force no one is for anything except leave me alone, don't tax me and don't make me do anything.

So are you for anything other than nothing?

pubby

PS: It is frustrating.