Paulding.com

Nationwide Atlanta-based Chicken Fast Food Restaurant

Not sure why Dan Cathey decided to publicly declare against gay people or how it could in any way be the business of Chik-Fil-A what personal relationships their customers have ---- I think that I'm not going to support any business that has a corporate philosophy based in discrimination. In parlance that Mr. Cathey would understand, we'll just say that this is god's way of telling me to cut back on my consumption of fried chicken.

Why would a heterosexual married person (me) care if gay people are discriminated against? It has to do with our common humanity and my personal philosophy that people should certainly not be subjected to corporate discrimination due to relationship choices. It's simply nobody else's business!

http://www.bostonherald.com/business/general/view/20120719chick-fil-a_surprises_some_with_gay_marriage_talk/

• Like 6
  • Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

So you think it's okay to discriminate against him, for his religious belief's? I will call you a hypocrite. He has spoke of his faith for as long as I can remember, openly!   Who cares, eat more ch

ive said this before on here ... i dont care what you call it .. just give me the same rights as the heterosexual ppl ... doesnt matter if the church recogniizes or not .. so long

This posting is the root of the problem where many become intolerable of others. Many of us have made a choice of a life of fidelity with our spouse of the other sex. We don't shove our choice of life

The way I see it, he can believe what he wants to believe, the people opposed to him can believe what they believe. But both are equally intolerant of each other. If you want respect for your beliefs then you should learn to respect that others don't think like you and they have the same rights as you. So in conclusion I don't care what his personal beliefs are. I will still eat there. Not sure why it would surprise anyone since they are closed on Sunday.

• Like 7

The way I see it, he can believe what he wants to believe, the people opposed to him can believe what they believe. But both are equally intolerant of each other. If you want respect for your beliefs then you should learn to respect that others don't think like you and they have the same rights as you. So in conclusion I don't care what his personal beliefs are. I will still eat there. Not sure why it would surprise anyone since they are closed on Sunday.

It surprises me! Here's the relationship that the store has with the customer: The customer gives the store money and the store gives the customer fried chicken. In what part of this transactional relationship is the person's personal relationship status germaine?

I don't begrudge Mr. Cathey his personal beliefs! However, we're not talking about PERSONAL -- We're talking about a corporate belief and culture! It is disingenuous of Mr. Cathey to proclaim against a certain personal relationship on a corporate level and then indicate that no discrimination results from it.

I understand that this anti-gay marriage stance will put him in great favor with those who think that the personal relationships of others are their business. While that group is not limited to haters, it includes them. I choose to not have any part of THAT group.

• Like 2

:good:

Yep, I still shop at Home Depot....don't have a Lowe's that close.

It's not an anti-gay position, it's an anti-gay marriage position. 2 different things to most people.

I agree... they are a company based on Bible Principles... they are not anti- gay.. they are pro marriage between a man and a woman. They are standing up for what they believe in which is sorely lacking in the country. Too many people go with whatever everyone else is doing instead of standing up!

And like someone said.. it's not a big surprise how they would feel. They are closed on Sunday.. another move that hasn't hurt their business. I doubt this will either..

Edited by jenja1
  • Like 8

It's not an anti-gay position, it's an anti-gay marriage position. 2 different things to most people.

They've been accused for years of being anti-gay.

"Most People"? Where do you get your information? One of the great things about the information age is that you should be able to provide qualifying links with just a click or two! I suspect that it's just a way to attempt to give your point some needed credibility. But I'll give you a chance to provide one of those link thingees.

Doesn't it go without saying that the reason that this corporation is anti-gay marriage is because they are anti-gay? If they didn't believe that being in a gay relationship was to be judged as "wrong", would they oppose marriage between two consenting adults? Again, I think that it's disingenuous to indicate that this is anything but an extension of homophobia/gay-hating. This statement of corporate belief and culture certainly encourages systemic discrimination throughout the chain, whether it is through customer treatment or employee hiring practices. In the 21st Century, there just is no place for this.

I agree... they are a company based on Bible Principles... they are not anti- gay.. they are pro marriage between a man and a woman. They are standing up for what they believe in which is sorely lacking in the country. Too many people go with whatever everyone else is doing instead of standing up!

And like someone said.. it's not a big surprise how they would feel. They are closed on Sunday.. another move that hasn't hurt their business. I doubt this will either..

I'm still a little fuzzy on the interest that a chicken restaurant has in the personal relationships of its customers. They sell fried chicken and the customer buys it. You mentioned "bible principles". Which ones are you talking about, specifically?

And what interest does a restaurant chain have in determining the "correctness" of the personal relationships of others? Why is it any of their business? If it's biblical, provide some kind of link information that speaks to this issue.

The law says they cannot discriminate against gay people in their employment or business practices. Nothing about the owner being against it personally is illegal, it's his opinion and he can make it his private company's opinion if he so wishes (just like he could say he's against blacks, catholics, jews or anybody or anything). Now if a company manager finds out one or more of their employees are gay or in gay marrages or civil unions and takes action against them because of the employee being gay or in a gay marrage or civil union, that's against the law and opens up the company for major lawsuits. It's just more political pandering on both sides of the arguement to rally voters in the upcoming elections...

• Like 1

I'm still a little fuzzy on the interest that a chicken restaurant has in the personal relationships of its customers. They sell fried chicken and the customer buys it. You mentioned "bible principles". Which ones are you talking about, specifically?

And what interest does a restaurant chain have in determining the "correctness" of the personal relationships of others? Why is it any of their business? If it's biblical, provide some kind of link information that speaks to this issue.

They've been accused of being anti-gay for years. They finally came out addressed part of those accusations.

It's just more political pandering on both sides of the argument to rally voters in the upcoming elections...

I think that it's not a smart strategy for either the GOP or Chik-Fil-A to drive THIS wedge issue, with so many other choices out there!

They've been accused of being anti-gay for years. They finally came out addressed part of those accusations.

So do you agree with THOUGHTS - That this is a political stunt? That would surprise me, although homophobia is something that the christians and mormons can agree on.....

• Like 1

So you think it's okay to discriminate against him, for his religious belief's? I will call you a hypocrite. He has spoke of his faith for as long as I can remember, openly!

Who cares, eat more chicken...or not!

• Like 10

Dan Cathey is the one who stated he based his company on bible principles... You will have to ask him which ones.. I am guessing he doesn't pick and choose though..

We are all free to live how we want- and choose where we want to EAT. If you don't like it.. don't eat there!

So you think it's okay to discriminate against him, for his religious belief's? I will call you a hypocrite. He has spoke of his faith for as long as I can remember, openly!

:good:

• Like 1

With today's powerful special interest groups we all know that the gays will get it in the end.

Marcus Bachmann will help them pray away the gay. Then again, he always has seemed to like men on their knees.

Let's try reading for comprehension this time!

["I don't begrudge Mr. Cathey his personal beliefs! However, we're not talking about PERSONAL -- We're talking about a corporate belief and culture!"]

For his personal beliefs, I have no interest in what he personally believes. However, I do have an interest in corporate beliefs and practices, which should not take the form of discriminatory language FROM THE CORPORATION. I choose to not side with a group that includes, but is not limited to haters. Since Chik-Fil-A is a business, the only way that I can show my displeasure is through withholding my support of the company. It's nothing against Dan Cathey. I've met him and I like him, but to announce a systemic corporate belief against gay marriage??? It might be time for him to take a vacation and consider the implications of that announcement.

:drinks: :clapping:

I have the RIGHT as an American citizen to be anti-gay if I choose to be....and I choose to be.

It is against Biblical law.

I do NOT have the right to harm a person because I disagree with their beliefs.

I WILL SUPPORT CHICK-FIL-A.

• Like 2

[sLet's try reading for comprehension this time!

I don't begrudge Mr. Cathey his personal beliefs! However, we're not talking about PERSONAL -- We're talking about a corporate belief and culture!"]

For his personal beliefs, I have no interest in what he personally believes. However, I do have an interest in corporate beliefs and practices, which should not take the form of discriminatory language FROM THE CORPORATION. I choose to not side with a group that includes, but is not limited to haters. Since Chik-Fil-A is a business, the only way that I can show my displeasure is through withholding my support of the company. It's nothing against Dan Cathey. I've met him and I like him, but to announce a systemic corporate belief against gay marriage??? It might be time for him to take a vacation and consider the implications of that announcement.

Why are you so intolerant? It's his company and he can run it as he sees fit. If you don't agree, don't give him your business.

• Like 1

So do you agree with THOUGHTS - That this is a political stunt? That would surprise me, although homophobia is something that the christians and mormons can agree on.....

He was asked his companies position during an interview. If the pro-gay / pro-gay marriage groups hadn't continually been bringing it up in the past, it probably wouldn't have come up now.

Dan Cathey is the one who stated he based his company on bible principles... You will have to ask him which ones.. I am guessing he doesn't pick and choose though..

We are all free to live how we want- and choose where we want to EAT. If you don't like it.. don't eat there!

You're the one who is indicating that a RESTAURANT has an interest in the personal relationships of its customers. Chik-Fil-A is not my customer, so it's not a reciprocal relationship. In other words, that restaurant chain can't withhold its support of ME, but I can withhold support of it due to its discriminatory practices. I realize that this is a lot for you to process at one time.

JSYK, there is no such biblical principle. It's plain old-fashioned homophobia/discrimination. It's true that as long as we live within the law, we can live as we want. As long as Chik-Fil-A obeys the laws, they can believe and act as they choose, on a corporate governance level. However, that doesn't mean that their decisions do not have consequences.

:drinks: :clapping:

I have the RIGHT as an American citizen to be anti-gay if I choose to be....and I choose to be.

It is against Biblical law.

I do NOT have the right to harm a person because I disagree with their beliefs.

I WILL SUPPORT CHICK-FIL-A.

The Bible is a work of fiction that people use to support their bigotry.

Edited by TJB
  • Like 1

He was asked his companies position during an interview. If the pro-gay / pro-gay marriage groups hadn't continually been bringing it up in the past, it probably wouldn't have come up now.

So you think that it's not a calculated move on the part of Chik-Fil-A? That's what I think. It IS free advertising, but I'm not sure that "boycott" is the response that you want from free advertising.

"Most People"? Where do you get your information? One of the great things about the information age is that you should be able to provide qualifying links with just a click or two! I suspect that it's just a way to attempt to give your point some needed credibility. But I'll give you a chance to provide one of those link thingees.

Doesn't it go without saying that the reason that this corporation is anti-gay marriage is because they are anti-gay? If they didn't believe that being in a gay relationship was to be judged as "wrong", would they oppose marriage between two consenting adults? Again, I think that it's disingenuous to indicate that this is anything but an extension of homophobia/gay-hating. This statement of corporate belief and culture certainly encourages systemic discrimination throughout the chain, whether it is through customer treatment or employee hiring practices. In the 21st Century, there just is no place for this.

I think you are the one that's intolerant of people with views other than yours. Here's a quote from the article you linked to:

Chick-fil-A released its own statement, saying it has a history of applying biblically-based principles to its business, such as keeping its stores closed on Sundays.

"The Chick-fil-A culture and service tradition in our restaurants is to treat every person with honor, dignity and respect — regardless of their belief, race, creed, sexual orientation or gender," according to the statement.

"Going forward, our intent is to leave the policy debate over same-sex marriage to the government and political arena," it said.

Gotta say I don't see anti-gay anywhere in there, maybe its just me.

But wait!!! his stores are closed on Sunday, probably because he's ANTI-Sunday!!! come clean with your ANTI-Sunday agenda Mr. Cathey!!! ninja.gif

• Like 4

So you think that it's not a calculated move on the part of Chik-Fil-A? That's what I think. It IS free advertising, but I'm not sure that "boycott" is the response that you want from free advertising.

How should he have responded when asked about the accusations the groups had been making?

Hmmm.... So people are bigots if they state what they believe... But it's ok for those who are against Chick Fil A to attack those who aren't?? Isn't that the same thing?

Again.. I don't think it will hurt their business. Some will stop going, and those that want to support them will decide to eat there more...

Let's try reading for comprehension this time!

["I don't begrudge Mr. Cathey his personal beliefs! However, we're not talking about PERSONAL -- We're talking about a corporate belief and culture!"]

Gollay, looks like a struck a nerve. Nothing is wrong with my comprehension skills. It's his company and unless you have stock or work for them, your "little" interest will not change the fact that Chick Fillet is successful. He is not the only company that has made their belief's public.

It's his belief that marriage is between and man and a woman. That's his right, if he chooses to preach that at his business, he has that right. He has been running a Christian based company since he opened it, and this little blurp will not hurt it. I doubt, you refusing to eat fried chicken will prevent him from sleeping at night, nor will him standing up and speaking about his convictions!

Edited by overit
  • Like 2

I think you are the one that's intolerant of people with views other than yours. Here's a quote from the article you linked to:

Chick-fil-A released its own statement, saying it has a history of applying biblically-based principles to its business, such as keeping its stores closed on Sundays.

"The Chick-fil-A culture and service tradition in our restaurants is to treat every person with honor, dignity and respect — regardless of their belief, race, creed, sexual orientation or gender," according to the statement.

"Going forward, our intent is to leave the policy debate over same-sex marriage to the government and political arena," it said.

Did you read where I said that it was disingenuous of Mr. Cathey to indicate that the company's position did not affect hiring practices, etc (paraphrasing)? Mr. Cathey is the PRESIDENT/COO of

Chik-Fil-A. Chik-Fil-A released its "OWN STATEMENT?? The statement from Mr. Cathey WAS its own statement of policy! The subsequent statement was a walk-back to cover their backsides against potential lawsuits.

What I'm saying is that the later statement came from the lawyers to keep Chik-Fil-A from getting sued by customers and employees. It would have helped if Mr. Cathey, who sets company policy, would have made that statement about their "non-discrimination". I just think that he couldn't make those words come out!

Hmmm.... So people are bigots if they state what they believe... But it's ok for those who are against Chick Fil A to attack those who aren't?? Isn't that the same thing?

Again.. I don't think it will hurt their business. Some will stop going, and those that want to support them will decide to eat there more...

Actually, this won't change things much for CFA. Many of the organizations involved have been calling for boycotts of CFA for years because of their Christian beliefs.

Gollay, looks like a struck a nerve. Nothing is wrong with my comprehension skills. It's his company and unless you have stock or work for them, your "little" interest will not change the fact that Chick Fillet is successful. He is not the only company that has made their belief's public.

It's his belief that marriage is between and man and a woman. That's his right, if he chooses to preach that at his business, he has that right. He has been running a Christian based company since he opened it, and this little blurp will not hurt it. I doubt, you refusing to eat fried chicken will prevent him from sleeping at night, nor will him standing up and speaking about his convictions!

I get it. You can't make the distinction between PERSONAL beliefs and corporate governance. Got it!

You're the one who is indicating that a RESTAURANT has an interest in the personal relationships of its customers. Chik-Fil-A is not my customer, so it's not a reciprocal relationship. In other words, that restaurant chain can't withhold its support of ME, but I can withhold support of it due to its discriminatory practices. I realize that this is a lot for you to process at one time.

JSYK, there is no such biblical principle. It's plain old-fashioned homophobia/discrimination. It's true that as long as we live within the law, we can live as we want. As long as Chik-Fil-A obeys the laws, they can believe and act as they choose, on a corporate governance level. However, that doesn't mean that their decisions do not have consequences.

JSYK, there is such Biblical principle. It can be found here: Christian Perspective On Homosexuality

Here is a better article on the issue, although the AJC (naturally) spikes the headline with anti-gay, wich was never said.

AJC Article

Actually, this won't change things much for CFA. Many of the organizations involved have been calling for boycotts of CFA for years because of their Christian beliefs.

Homophobia isn't a christian belief. Or it is, which would render "biblical principles" obsolete. It is or it isn't -- take your pick!

Number one he was not asked about his views he was asked about his company giving money to anti gay marriage foundations, to which he anwsered "guilty as charged". The same way as home depot supports the gays and their movement, and other big companys Disney and others as well support gays. Does that mean that us that disagree with their stance as a company don't support them? That is the free well of America now if you believe as Obama does that Mr. Marcus and others didn't build those companys then maybe you have a leg to stand on, but for me I do believe that if a man puts years and years and lots of sweet and work to build a multi billion dollar business then he has every right to spend his money how he wants!!!

So if you want corporate goverance then start with the companys that came out long ago for gays, I believe that it is discrimination againest the population that don't agree with gays!! Those companys should not be able to support gay pride parades and big events and such!!

Get real here folks, a company can decide how, when and where they give their money, and you can decide the same for yourself! But for me and mine EAT MORE CHICKEN!!!!!!

Edited by noahsdad

But wait!!! his stores are closed on Sunday, probably because he's ANTI-Sunday!!! come clean with your ANTI-Sunday agenda Mr. Cathey!!! ninja.gif

:good: :rofl:

I get it. You can't make the distinction between PERSONAL beliefs and corporate governance. Got it!

And you my dear should know, a christian is a christian 24/7...not just when they are home!

I can see you really do not care there are different views on this. You just want to be the loudest hypocrite and have your view heard! We see you! We hear you! Your job is done! :wacko: Congrats, you have now taken this topic into the most annoying "right" fight! Yeah you!

• Like 1