Paulding.com

Annual, Back to School Supplies Program for the low income............................

I have been told that there will NOT be a back to school, school supply program this year. "IF" the churches do anything, it will go directly to the Board of Education and then be disbursed to the schools. Helping Hands will do the same.

Therefore, we the community will need to buy all of the $.01, $.05, $.10 items and so on, that we can get our hands on and donate to the school of "OUR" choice.

Also, when you are out buying supplies for your child, try to get a pack of copy paper, an extra pack of pencils, a pack of dry erase markers, an extra pack of pens and so on, for each of your children to give to their teacher. I know it's hard times and all but, "IF" we can do this, it would be a B-I-G help!!! We're doing it and we DON'T HAVE ANY CHILDREN OR GRANDCHILDREN IN THE PUBLIC SCHOOL SYSTEM, IN PAULDING CO!!!! We are at Staples first thing on Sunday mornings and then on to Office Max to get their Back-to-School Supplies, special deals.

WSBTV/Ch 2 is doing a back to school supply drive that is called "Fill The Bus", I'm NOT sure where the collected items will go to but, I will call WSBTV/Ch 2 tomorrow to fund out exactly "where." I will post the answer tomorrow, after my call.

LET'S KEEP OUR SCHOOL SUPPLIES, IN "OUR" COUNTY!!!!!

• Like 2

Two questions - who told you that, and what will prevent the churches from passing out items directly to those in need?

Great questions.

My Church has made up bags already for the kids of our Church.

I pray that others do the same.

Great questions.

My Church has made up bags already for the kids of our Church.

I pray that others do the same.

For the last few years, West Ridge Church has put on 'A Fresh Hope' where they put together thousands of back backs for those in need, and are doing it again this year.

I don't see how the BOE could ask those be given to them to be handed out rather than by the organization that provides them. (The only exception MIGHT bee if they see a lot of instances where on kid/family gets stuff from a lot of different organizations and many others with nothing, they they might ask the organizations to cooperate with each other to be sure everyone is served.)

My church is making backpacks for Murphy Harpst & Clarkdale Elementary. We KNOW we can do this.

Also, the web site lists the following as to the stuff a bus:

Volunteers will be on hand from Noon to 6:30 p.m. on Sunday and 9 a.m. to 7 p.m. Monday, to collect items for the Children's Restoration Network. The Children's Restoration Network provides school supplies to the more than 2,500 homeless children living in 38 group homes in the metro area.

My link

I know that this is a good program, but it is also abused by many. Some parents just think that everything is for them--so they can spend their money elsewhere. Man--I could be rich now if I had thought that way when my kids were growing up. :ninja:

• Like 3

For the last few years, West Ridge Church has put on 'A Fresh Hope' where they put together thousands of back backs for those in need, and are doing it again this year.

I don't see how the BOE could ask those be given to them to be handed out rather than by the organization that provides them. (The only exception MIGHT bee if they see a lot of instances where on kid/family gets stuff from a lot of different organizations and many others with nothing, they they might ask the organizations to cooperate with each other to be sure everyone is served.)

This is what West Ridge has posted:

... donate school supplies and backpacks by dropping them off in our Back to School collection boxes at the East location for the next couple of weeks.

This year rather than doing a massive public registration we are working alongside Principals and Guidance Counselors at specific Cobb and Paulding Schools to be sure the families that need help the most; get it! Our relationships with these schools and the connection we make with these families could allow us to minister to them over the long haul, so join in right away!

Several area schools have asked us to help them get ready for children and students to return! If you would like to sign up to help on July 28th go here. (Don’t overlook helping Vertical Church in downtown Atlanta on that day. Information is on that link)

We are also serving alongside A Fresh Hope at Compton Elementary on August 3rd and 4th. Go here to volunteer,

Join us in showing CRAZY LOVE to children, students, and schools in our community.

http://westridge.com/blog/post/back-to-school-backpacks-serving

This is what West Ridge has posted:

... donate school supplies and backpacks by dropping them off in our Back to School collection boxes at the East location for the next couple of weeks.

This year rather than doing a massive public registration we are working alongside Principals and Guidance Counselors at specific Cobb and Paulding Schools to be sure the families that need help the most; get it! Our relationships with these schools and the connection we make with these families could allow us to minister to them over the long haul, so join in right away!

Several area schools have asked us to help them get ready for children and students to return! If you would like to sign up to help on July 28th go here. (Don’t overlook helping Vertical Church in downtown Atlanta on that day. Information is on that link)

We are also serving alongside A Fresh Hope at Compton Elementary on August 3rd and 4th. Go here to volunteer,

Join us in showing CRAZY LOVE to children, students, and schools in our community.

http://westridge.com/blog/post/back-to-school-backpacks-serving

Thanks - I had missed that. It's still an organization cooperating with the BOEs and schools, and not like the OP's statement that it goes DIRECTLY to the BOE for distribution.

Two questions - who told you that, and what will prevent the churches from passing out items directly to those in need?

I called West Ridge Church, last Wednesday afternoon. I was told that they would be giving all their stuff to the Board of Education/Schools.

I SAID THE "Annual, Back to School Supplies Program for the low income" .....GIVE A KID A CHANCE, I just couldn't come up with the name.

I DID NOT SAY THAT THERE WOULDN'T BE ANYONE DONATING, I JUST SAID THAT THERE WOULDN'T BE THE ANNUAL "PROGRAM"

I just buy up extra supplies and send them into my kids school & teachers as needed. :yahoo:

That's basically what I'm trying to say to the pcom world, that we (the parents, who can) need to be pitching in a little more, and getting all of the cheap stuff and give it to their childrens, teachers. Oh well, I did word it poorly but, what the heck. :pardon:

That's basically what I'm trying to say to the pcom world, that we (the parents, who can) need to be pitching in a little more, and getting all of the cheap stuff and give it to their childrens, teachers. Oh well, I did word it poorly but, what the heck. :pardon:

:rofl: I still love you! It was nice seeing you guys today!! :wub:

I know there are some people on here thinking that they shouldn't have to spend their money to help other peoples kids. It does stink to always be the ones picking up the slack and believe me I feel that way at times too BUT these kids never asked to be born, they deserve a fair chance to succeed. The only other option is for the teachers to spend their own money and we all know they don't get paid anywhere near what they should.

If you can even spare $1 to send some extra supplies, anything is a help.

While you are out don't forget the "specials" teachers like Art, Gym & Music :)

Hubbys work is filling backpacks and we did two and with everything they asked for on the list, it cost us almost $40.00 just for those two. They needed some kind of special calculator and they were $15.00 each!! Needless to say, I'll be looking for the .10 cent stuff to send to our school for those kids in need.

It's good you started the thread so more people will be aware of the options for donating.

I called West Ridge Church, last Wednesday afternoonI was told that they would be giving all their stuff to the Board of Education/Schools.

I SAID THE "Annual, Back to School Supplies Program for the low income" .....GIVE A KID A CHANCE, I just couldn't come up with the name.

I DID NOT SAY THAT THERE WOULDN'T BE ANYONE DONATING, I JUST SAID THAT THERE WOULDN'T BE THE ANNUAL "PROGRAM"

I misunderstand your first post. It makes it sound like the BOE was dictating all organizations that have their own 'annual backpack program', including churches, give the supplies to them to be distributed by them.

Thanks for reminding everyone that help is needed.

My take on the whole thing is that if the tax dollars we pay for education were better managed this wouldn't be an issue at all.

You are right but, we know that's another issue !!!!!!!

Ok I called Ch 2 News and the "Fill the Bus" school supplies will be going to the "Childrens Restoration Network", who is donating all of those donations (from Kroger donation boxes and private citizens) to the shelters in the metro Atlanta counties. I specifically asked about Paulding and Douglas, two shelters in Douglas Co will receive supplies BUT, NONE IN PAULDING!!!!!!! Of course we only have one shelter in this county and that is Shepherds Rest. I'll call them and see if they need school supplies. :wub:

I just talked to the Shepherds Rest Shelter, they DO need supplies. SO, we (hubby and. I) will be taking up a collection for the children at the shelter. If you'd like to contribute, please send me a pm.

Its mandated that we send our children to school, and we're required to pay taxes into the school system. The way I see it, school supplies are just a clever way to make us pay taxes twice on the same thing. If my child is required to pay for supplies so attend mandatory school, those supplies are a tax. Incredibly, when you buy the supplies you're taxed again in the form of sales tax. Pretty good racket if you ask me.

Its mandated that we send our children to school, and we're required to pay taxes into the school system. The way I see it, school supplies are just a clever way to make us pay taxes twice on the same thing. If my child is required to pay for supplies so attend mandatory school, those supplies are a tax. Incredibly, when you buy the supplies you're taxed again in the form of sales tax. Pretty good racket if you ask me.

Very good point. And if the schools need copy paper and such than they need to stop printing personal things.I will not send anything to a public school for their own use.I pay taxes and maybe the pta should by the teachers their necessities instead of catering lunches and bagels with cream cheese.I want my voucher so my children can get educated and not indoctrinated. Save the mild brain washing for the military.oh yeah I will be donating some school supplies for the children in need.

• Like 1

Do all of the donated items go to Paulding Children?

The other message board is doing a drive. If you are in need, or know a local family in need, I'm sure that they will make sure you get a stuffed back pack.

Let me know if you need more info.

And thanks for your help!!!:drinks: :clapping:

Very good point. And if the schools need copy paper and such than they need to stop printing personal things.I will not send anything to a public school for their own use.I pay taxes and maybe the pta should by the teachers their necessities instead of catering lunches and bagels with cream cheese.I want my voucher so my children can get educated and not indoctrinated. Save the mild brain washing for the military.oh yeah I will be donating some school supplies for the children in need.

I'm sorry but I have a BIG problem with your response here with regards to what the PTA should pay for. YOu would be surprised at how much of teachers supplies and stuff the PTA pays for they are not just "bagels and cream cheese" and its obvious from that comment that you never were part of a PTA or you would know that!!! Our school's PTA pays for ALL the agendas for all the students who require one. They don't have to do that. They also offer teacher grants throughout the year where teachers can send in a request for supplies and have the PTA pay for them. In past years the PTA has also paid a significant amount toward field trips so that kids wouldn't be left out. THe PTA pays for all the copy paper the PTA uses. They are not allowed to use the schools supply. At the beginning of the year the PTA provides each teacher with an $$ that they can spend at the School Box Store for supplies. Oh and along with those things, yes we spoil our teachers with lunches for teacher appreciation and on conference week when they have to stay extra late and wait for parents who never show up, we provide some snacks and food for them too. Maybe you should watch your snyde comments and know what you speak about before posting something so rude.

As for the the original topic of school supplies, anything donated is so greatly appreciated, so to those of you who donate without complaining or bragging about it, thank you

• Like 3

Honestly, I haven't read this whole thread yet, so I may be taking this post out of context. To my knowledge, no one is requiring anyone to provide school supplies even for their own child. Most, even minimally responsible parents, buy the basics of pencils, paper, notebooks, book bag, etc for their children's own personal use at school. (are you really complaining about that????) Some want to, but can not afford it. Many do not think it a priority, for whatever reasons. Some parents, who are financially able, choose to help out the classroom in other ways such as dry erase markers, white paper, tissues, hand sanitizer, pencils, etc. The largest out of pocket cost I have over the course of the year is basic supplies for the students who can not afford it or do not bring it. Yes, I pay taxes on it. I go through thousands of pencils and countless packs of paper, plus folders, book bags, binders.... I do get some donations from parents, some help from PTA and/or front office of the school, but it is not enough to cover the cost when up to 1/3 of your 100+ students are unprepared each day. I am NOT trying to throw a teacher pity party, I'm just stating the fact that if you are NOT buying your child's school supplies, then someone else is and THEY are paying taxes, too.

My take on the whole thing is that if the tax dollars we pay for education were better managed this wouldn't be an issue at all.

In the course of US History, when has a school been required to provide a student's personal school supplies? The donations are primarily for pencils, paper, notebooks, book bags, etc.