Paulding.com

Another Tsplost thread

A challenge everyone reading this thread to go to google and put the tsplost in the search.

Now I want you to find a commentary about the Tsplost by someone or a news source that is not from the Atlanta/ Marietta area.

The news, the points of view you are reading are specific to those regions.

What are they mad about? they already get the lions share of federal and local fuel tax. The tsplost if passed will take money out of their road budgets and put it into public transportation and pedestrian projects.

Our regional tsplost will not do those things here and the money will not be given to them. Our money is collected into an account in our name and is given to us when we have enough for a project.

Here is an article I found from another region that has been losing their share of fuel tax money to the Atlanta/ Marietta region for years and is ready to take care of their people with their own hard earned tax money.

http://tiftcounty.walb.com/news/news/57744-campaign-begin-t-splost-support

http://www.msgr.com/news/local_news/article_ee489c9a-c6b5-11e1-9c53-0019bb2963f4.html

Laura Mathis, deputy director of the Middle Georgia Regional Commission, presented information about the referendum. The afternoon session and another one that evening in Eatonton were sponsored by the Eatonton-Putnam Chamber of Commerce, which has endorsed the additional tax as a needed spur to economic development.

Zach Johnson, with ConnectGeorgia, a subsidiary of the state chamber, also attended the meetings.

Each region has a priority list of projects that would be paid for with the T-SPLOST. The local priority list was developed by a regional Roundtable, which included Tom Thompson, the chairman of the Putnam County Board of Commissioners, and John Reid, mayor of Eatonton. Thompson was a non-voting member of the Roundtable’s executive committee.

The T-SPLOST would pay for the projects on the region’s priority list, Mathis said. Putnam’s region would receive a total of $748 million from the 1-cent sales tax over a 10-year period, a figure calculated by state economists.

If the total is reached in fewer than 10 years, the sales tax would be stopped, Mathis noted.

Of the total, $561 million – 75 percent – would be used by the state Department of Transportation to pay for the priority projects.

The remaining 25 percent – about $187 million – would go to local county and city government for local transportation work, with each entity deciding how to spend its funds.

Putnam County would get about $1.3 million per year for the life of the sales tax and Eatonton would get about $194,000 per year.

The T-SPLOST was created by the state legislature in the Transportation Investment Act of 2010. Mathis said the TIA was passed because state legislators concluded the state “needed an additional funding source” for transportation projects.

Transportation projects are paid for with a motor fuel tax. Revenue from that tax has been declining because of more efficient vehicles. It has not been increased in years.

Blackwell called passing the T-SPLOST “imperative” for the chamber because it would help pay for widening U.S. Highway 441 from Interstate 20 to the Eatonton bypass.

That would make moving products from this area to the Savannah port much easier.

Blackwell said, “The easiest way to get them (products) to the port is down 441 and down (Interstate) 16.”

She said Putnam County also would be more attractive as a location for supplies for the new Baxter and Caterpillar plants, which will be to the north of Putnam County, with a widened 441.

http://www.albanyherald.com/news/2012/jun/05/region-vote-t-splost-july/

Here’s the beauty of it,” Bollinger said, “ Today, if you do a local maintenance improvement project through the DOT you have a litany of regulations and laws you have to comply with. If you start a project today in Dougherty County you might be lucky to get it accomplished in three years. (With T-SPLOST discretionary tax money) Dougherty County would only have to comply with their local procurement policies and guidelines. Beyond that, nothing applies. It’s strictly up to the county how they spend their money.”

#According to Bollinger, roads are becoming a “huge issue,” especially in rural agricultural communities, in getting farm products to the cities. T-SPLOST money is allocated by a formula based one-fifth on population and four-fifths on centerline lane miles.

I certainly understand the conservative stance of no taxes, and I thought I understood the stance of the feds, and even the stance of state control, but what I don't understand is throwing the opportunity away to have that control when it is presented.

• Like 1
  • Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Lot's of folks talking about truths. A couple of truths are these.   The vast majority of the projects in Paulding (as a perecentage of individual projects) are intersection improvements. These will

I will be voting no because I am selfish. I would like to keep my pennies. The roads I commute on will not be improved so I see no benefit to Ms

Oh good God! Let's not be a drama queen. You have bought the glossy commercials hook, line and sinker.   Number one, this 14% tax that you keep referring to as a penny is not going to make a 2 hou

The TomTom North American Congestion Index 2012 Ranking 2011 Ranking % delay from congestion 1. Los Angeles 1 33% 2. Vancouver 2 30% 3. Miami 5 26% 4. Seattle 12 25% 5. Tampa 6 25% 6. San Francisco 9 25% 7. Washington, D.C. 4 24% 8. Houston 18 23% 9. Toronto 3 22% 10. Ottawa, Canada 15 22% 11. ATLANTA 21%

NO NEED TO VOTE YES for Atlanta right? LoL I think folks that vote no are selfish.

My vote is still NO!! When the Politicians can show that they can spend the taxpayer money responsibly, reduce the waste, and properly manage the funds they collect, I might, just might stand behind some of these projects they come up with. So, will that happen?...Doubtful.

• Like 1

A challenge everyone reading this thread to go to google and put the tsplost in the search.

Now I want you to find a commentary about the Tsplost by someone or a news source that is not from the Atlanta/ Marietta area.

The news, the points of view you are reading are specific to those regions.

What are they mad about? they already get the lions share of federal and local fuel tax. The tsplost if passed will take money out of their road budgets and put it into public transportation and pedestrian projects.

Our regional tsplost will not do those things here and the money will not be given to them. Our money is collected into an account in our name and is given to us when we have enough for a project.

Here is an article I found from another region that has been losing their share of fuel tax money to the Atlanta/ Marietta region for years and is ready to take care of their people with their own hard earned tax money.

I certainly understand the conservative stance of no taxes, and I thought I understood the stance of the feds, and even the stance of state control, but what I don't understand is throwing the opportunity away to have that control when it is presented.

Unfortunately, even facts won't convince people. Propaganda and half truths are the king because people always need something to gripe about, added to the fact that they will have to part with their pennies. It's amazing to me that such a miniscule amount from one can add up so fast for the greater good and people are still opposed.

Ultimately, when these proposed changes and improvements are unavoidable and the tax isn't passed, the funds will still come from taxpayers, but at a much higher cost.

The 'it won't benefit me, so I'm voting no', attitude is unbelievable to me. We didn't get where we are today as a country with that mentality. Pennies add up to millions and if a few pennies will benefit the masses as opposed nickels and dimes in the future, I'm choosing pennies.

• Like 1

I guess I don't like it because of a number of reasons.

1) When someone says the money 'stays here' that means in the region. We have no control how much of our money stays in Paulding and how much goes to other areas in the region. Here's a list of the projects we would be competing with to have funded: http://www.dot.ga.gov/localgovernment/FundingPrograms/transreferendum/Documents/ProjectList/Northwest%20GA.pdf

2) We are not in the Metro Atlanta region, so those of us who commute won't see much benefit if we pass it and metro Atlanta doesn't.

3) Too much of the money will be given to public transit, which by it's very nature will only benefit a few. Like the majority of commuters, I couldn't take transit to where I work even if I wanted to, and this extra money won't change that.

4) I believe I can find better use for that 1% than the government.

• Like 4

From the AJC this morning:

"If transportation vote fails...."

"If the referendum does not pass and there's no alternative, reliance on toll roads is going to become more important,"

"Drivers, rather than taxpayers at large, will assume most of the costs of new road construction, he said, "either with the gas tax or at the toll booth. And as to a higher gas tax, they [politicians] won't do that. It's not on the table, it won't happen."

http://www.ajc.com/news/atlanta/if-transportation-vote-fails-1478341.html

I will be voting no because I am selfish. I would like to keep my pennies. The roads I commute on will not be improved so I see no benefit to Ms

Same here. I'll take selfish over stupid any day.

• Like 2

1) When someone says the money 'stays here' that means in the region. We have no control how much of our money stays in Paulding and how much goes to other areas in the region. Here's a list of the projects we would be competing with to have funded: http://www.dot.ga.go...thwest%20GA.pdf

2) We are not in the Metro Atlanta region, so those of us who commute won't see much benefit if we pass it and metro Atlanta doesn't.

3) Too much of the money will be given to public transit, which by it's very nature will only benefit a few. Like the majority of commuters, I couldn't take transit to where I work even if I wanted to, and this extra money won't change that.

We most certainly are in Metro Atlanta by every measure. Paulding County is only 15 miles from the City of Atlanta.

I voted early and I voted NO! Folks gripe and fuss about the democrats and Obama, but it is the REPUBLICANS who are pushing this multi billion dollar tax increase.

You want to make a statement? VOTE DEMOCRAT and then the GOP might get a wake up call.

Edited by Captain Rhett Butler

1) When someone says the money 'stays here' that means in the region. We have no control how much of our money stays in Paulding and how much goes to other areas in the region. Here's a list of the projects we would be competing with to have funded: http://www.dot.ga.gov/localgovernment/FundingPrograms/transreferendum/Documents/ProjectList/Northwest%20GA.pdf

Mc. Donalds will take your pennies and your septic system ends up the recipient of pennies spent that way.

There is no! mass transit on the Paulding list!!@! The news stories you are reading about are regions with mass transit. We have a commuter bus the leaves from movies 278 and that is the only thing that may be increased.

Your county list can no longer be altered, what your county placed in that document is binding to your county for 10 years no matter who comes or goes in office.

The news stories are not putting out facts about the document.

They are reporting the things in another region's document that they don't like.

Think of the other regions as neighbors, what they spend their income on to put in their house is none of your business.

I am hammering people with this because they don't know the facts.

If you know the facts and you understand the facts if you have looked at the list for your region and said I don't like anything on it and don't want to see it done then that is fine, but it is not the case.

Our list is a legal binding document.

I am going to repeat this until someone understands this.

The regions fighting this tooth and nail are regions that already get the lions share of your fuel tax money for road improvement. If their list had had no mass transit on it and only went to road improvement they would be pushing it.

IF we don't pass this in our region the lions share of our money will still go to them and at the end of the day our fuel tax money will pay for their mass transit.

Your welcome to search DOT and see the portion of fuel tax money going in those regions.

Every article you have ever read about how much they screw up with the DOT money they are given is your fuel tax dollars.

You will start to see your money making real and positive changes in your county.

Everything on your list will get done.

If you put those idiots in Marietta and Atlanta out of your mind, our little list and projects looks pretty damn good. It is not hard to see the positive changes that will come about quickly.

I was very surprised to read an article with the Mayor of Dalton being against it.

Dalton is full of textile mills, they are some of the biggest exporters in the state.

I have to wonder if he ask the heads of the mills how they feel about it. It has to cost those mills a lot of money with their trucks sitting on interstates for hours trying to get to Savannah.

The mayor of Cartersville also has a lot of textile mills to consider.

We are all in this together and it was the idiots that tried to force mass transit on their people that are ruining it for everyone in the state.

No matter where you live in Georgia or what your job is you are going to benefit from the exporting of goods from this state through the Savannah harbor.

I have said it before and I will say it again, when the feds dredge that harbor they are going to insist that we improve our hwy's and expressways.

They will do the decision making when the time comes and they are going to take our fuel tax money to do it.

• Like 2

I voted early and I voted NO! Folks gripe and fuss about the democrats and Obama, but it is the REPUBLICANS who are pushing this multi billion dollar tax increase.

You want to make a statement? VOTE DEMOCRAT and then the GOP might get a wake up call.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I'm going to vote for the tax because I seen them real smart people on t.v. and they said they was going to vote for it. Them same smart people said they fixed the traffic problem when they built 285 around the city and that fixed it there wan't any traffick after that. Then what had happen was some mean people came and they caused the traffik again so the smart nice people said they was gone build a train and name it marter and they did and then there wasn't any more traffik after that. And so the smart people must be really smart cause they are even more richer after they fixed the traffik. so vote for it because you smart. it will make you rich.

• Like 4

I'm going to vote for the tax because I seen them real smart people on t.v. and they said they was going to vote for it. Them same smart people said they fixed the traffic problem when they built 285 around the city and that fixed it there wan't any traffick after that. Then what had happen was some mean people came and they caused the traffik again so the smart nice people said they was gone build a train and name it marter and they did and then there wasn't any more traffik after that. And so the smart people must be really smart cause they are even more richer after they fixed the traffik. so vote for it because you smart. it will make you rich.

Well if you live in Cobb your issue is what Cobb officials do with your tax money.

The way people in Paulding vote on the Tsplost won't make a bit of difference to Cobb and how Cobb votes on it won't amount to a hill of beans to Paulding people.

How many times can you say.

What you vote for only effects your region

What other regions vote for does not effect your road list or where your money goes

Why don't people get this, it's like talking to a brick wall.

If they vote it in and you don't nobody collects the extra one cent from you in your region ever ever never does it work that way.

Wake up people you are reading news source from Cobb and Atlanta! they are discussing Cobb and Atlanta!

Have you seen Paulding in those articles, or on those commercials? No you have not, because their issues are theirs and that is the beauty of the entire thing, we are no longer forced to suck hind tit from those idiots.

We don't have to beg to get our tax dollars back form the state or the feds to decide what is good for Paulding.

Read the damn list for Paulding then come back and talk about what you have a problem with on the list because that is the only place your damn pennies are going.

Go to the theater tuesday night see if it will begin to sink in, people can't even grasp the concept.

Well if you live in Cobb your issue is what Cobb officials do with your tax money.

The way people in Paulding vote on the Tsplost won't make a bit of difference to Cobb and how Cobb votes on it won't amount to a hill of beans to Paulding people.

What other regions vote for does not effect your road list or where your money goes

If they vote it in and you don't nobody collects the extra one cent from you in your region ever ever never does it work that way.

Wake up people you are reading news source from Cobb and Atlanta! they are discussing Cobb and Atlanta!

Have you seen Paulding in those articles, or on those commercials? No you have not, because their issues are theirs and that is the beauty of the entire thing, we are no longer forced to suck hind tit from those idiots.

We don't have to beg to get our tax dollars back form the state or the feds to decide what is good for Paulding.

Read the damn list for Paulding then come back and talk about what you have a problem with on the list because that is the only place your damn pennies are going.

Go to the theater tuesday night see if it will begin to sink in, people can't even grasp the concept.

I'm sure you already know this....a big hunk of sales tax from Paulding shoppers go to Cobb and Douglas, that's where the Malls are and better choices for shopping.

I know you are for this, but I ain't buying what they're selling.

You know what you forgot about? That toll on GA400. Them same smart people said when they once that road got paid for, they'd remove the toll. That road has been paid for, toll is still getting collected, and traffic still sucks.

trans·plant

v. trans·plant·ed, trans·plant·ing, trans·plants

v.tr.1. To uproot and replant (a growing plant).2. To transfer from one place or residence to another; resettle or relocate.

I live in Paulding. The ugly of the entire thing is in the details. I bet this too, will fly over your head.

• Like 1

I'm sure you already know this....a big hunk of sales tax from Paulding shoppers go to Cobb and Douglas, that's where the Malls are and better choices for shopping.

I know you are for this, but I ain't buying what they're selling.

What does people shopping outside of the county have to do with anything, if Cobb votes it down then they don't get the taxes.

I don't care if you don't buy it but repeating the arguments and issues with it in Cobb are unfair to the people in Paulding, because it has absolute zero to do with the Paulding portion and expenditures of the splost.

What is not penetrating in peoples head is that it is an independence day for the people of Paulding to take their taxes and to benefit themselves with it.

It's not a theory, it's not a rumor it is about as simple a concept as you can come up with. Cut the feds out of your business when it comes to your roads.

the feds don't get the first penny of that money nor does the state. The regional issue allows our surrounding counties to keep up with us when creating quality traffic control from county line to county line.

We could have ask for a second penny of splost locally, but it does absolutely no good to four lane a road to help people get to work and have it abruptly go down to 2 making it a waste of money because the traffic still builds up on our side of the line trying to get to work.

Many of the roads we are working on are 2 lanes that widen to four in the next county, our commuters are saying what the hell why won't our county widen this for us.

Roadwork is not accomplished overnight nor in a month or two. Studies and planning must occur first. These cost. Drawings must be made. These cost. Land bought. More cost and the road has not been touched, as yet.

We have heard the yells for traffic signals at dangerous intersections. We have heard the screams for improvements to the access of subdivisions and shopping centers.

Now we are offered a way to get these improvements and only pay for these improvements without the interferance from Metro Atlanta.

What do we say?

Hell no. I would rather bitch about the condition of the roads.

You know what you forgot about? That toll on GA400. Them same smart people said when they once that road got paid for, they'd remove the toll. That road has been paid for, toll is still getting collected, and traffic still sucks.

Why are we discussing something that is not in Paulding again, under the laws of this splost they can't touch a dime of what is collected here. You find the sneaky part for me where it allows us to spend that money on anything but the list.

What does people shopping outside of the county have to do with anything, if Cobb votes it down then they don't get the taxes.

I don't care if you don't buy it but repeating the arguments and issues with it in Cobb are unfair to the people in Paulding, because it has absolute zero to do with the Paulding portion and expenditures of the splost.

What is not penetrating in peoples head is that it is an independence day for the people of Paulding to take their taxes and to benefit themselves with it.

It's not a theory, it's not a rumor it is about as simple a concept as you can come up with. Cut the feds out of your business when it comes to your roads.

the feds don't get the first penny of that money nor does the state. The regional issue allows our surrounding counties to keep up with us when creating quality traffic control from county line to county line.

We could have ask for a second penny of splost locally, but it does absolutely no good to four lane a road to help people get to work and have it abruptly go down to 2 making it a waste of money because the traffic still builds up on our side of the line trying to get to work.

Many of the roads we are working on are 2 lanes that widen to four in the next county, our commuters are saying what the hell why won't our county widen this for us.

Well, I guess you didn't get what I was saying. That's okay, continue to beat your drum, maybe someone will hear your music. I'm in the read only mode on the Tsplost subject going forward.

My Vote = NO !!

Roadwork is not accomplished overnight nor in a month or two. Studies and planning must occur first. These cost. Drawings must be made. These cost. Land bought. More cost and the road has not been touched, as yet.

We have heard the yells for traffic signals at dangerous intersections. We have heard the screams for improvements to the access of subdivisions and shopping centers.

Now we are offered a way to get these improvements and only pay for these improvements without the interferance from Metro Atlanta.

What do we say?

Hell no. I would rather bitch about the condition of the roads.

I challenge anyone to come up with a DOT project in this county that was a waste of tax payers money or to point something out on our list that is an extravagant waste of our money.

Because our pennies only go to our DOT projects and nobody else in the state or country for that matter will ever get it.

All the other arguments are moot, let Cobb and Atlanta fight their own battles with their bureaucrats. After we pass this, their problems aren't ours anymore.

We most certainly are in Metro Atlanta by every measure. Paulding County is only 15 miles from the City of Atlanta.

We are NOT in Metro Atlanta as far as TSPLOST is concerned. Not a penny collected will help to reduce the commute into Cobb, Fulton, Douglas or other 'metro Atlanta' counties.

Why are we discussing something that is not in Paulding again, under the laws of this splost they can't touch a dime of what is collected here. You find the sneaky part for me where it allows us to spend that money on anything but the list.

Has it ever occurred to you that we don't want the Paulding royalty to touch a dime from our pockets either? Here's something shocking...I don't want any more four-lanes connecting to a four-lane that runs between two four lanes that runs to the airport out beyond the Taj Mahal commissioner's office across from their movie studio. AND I'm okay spending a little extra time on my commute because of traffic. It's just not that big of a deal.

• Like 2

oh, yeah, completely forgot about the ga 400 raceway. that fixed everything too.

Mc. Donalds will take your pennies and your septic system ends up the recipient of pennies spent that way.

There is no! mass transit on the Paulding list!!@! The news stories you are reading about are regions with mass transit. We have a commuter bus the leaves from movies 278 and that is the only thing that may be increased.

Your county list can no longer be altered, what your county placed in that document is binding to your county for 10 years no matter who comes or goes in office.

The news stories are not putting out facts about the document.

They are reporting the things in another region's document that they don't like.

Think of the other regions as neighbors, what they spend their income on to put in their house is none of your business.

I am hammering people with this because they don't know the facts.

If you know the facts and you understand the facts if you have looked at the list for your region and said I don't like anything on it and don't want to see it done then that is fine, but it is not the case.

Our list is a legal binding document.

I am going to repeat this until someone understands this.

The regions fighting this tooth and nail are regions that already get the lions share of your fuel tax money for road improvement. If their list had had no mass transit on it and only went to road improvement they would be pushing it.

IF we don't pass this in our region the lions share of our money will still go to them and at the end of the day our fuel tax money will pay for their mass transit.

Your welcome to search DOT and see the portion of fuel tax money going in those regions.

Every article you have ever read about how much they screw up with the DOT money they are given is your fuel tax dollars.

You will start to see your money making real and positive changes in your county.

Everything on your list will get done.

If you put those idiots in Marietta and Atlanta out of your mind, our little list and projects looks pretty damn good. It is not hard to see the positive changes that will come about quickly.

I was very surprised to read an article with the Mayor of Dalton being against it.

Dalton is full of textile mills, they are some of the biggest exporters in the state.

I have to wonder if he ask the heads of the mills how they feel about it. It has to cost those mills a lot of money with their trucks sitting on interstates for hours trying to get to Savannah.

The mayor of Cartersville also has a lot of textile mills to consider.

We are all in this together and it was the idiots that tried to force mass transit on their people that are ruining it for everyone in the state.

No matter where you live in Georgia or what your job is you are going to benefit from the exporting of goods from this state through the Savannah harbor.

I have said it before and I will say it again, when the feds dredge that harbor they are going to insist that we improve our hwy's and expressways.

They will do the decision making when the time comes and they are going to take our fuel tax money to do it.

You're right about the mass transit. I'm still against if for the rest of my reasons, and I'll add another.

By law, 25% of the money will be GIVEN to the local governments for currently UNIDENTIFIED discretionary spending?

From the Final Investment List Report:

It should be noted that this list reflects projects to be funded from the regional share (75%) of the region’s TIA2010 revenues, and that by formula 25% of the overall funds, called discretionary funds, will be available to local governments for projects that are more local in nature. Those projects have not yet been identified and are not included in this document.

Who gets how much will be calculated using a formula based on total paved miles of road *(80%) and population (20%), and not where it was collected.

We are NOT in Metro Atlanta as far as TSPLOST is concerned. Not a penny collected will help to reduce the commute into Cobb, Fulton, Douglas or other 'metro Atlanta' counties.

No kidding. You want to dismiss us as being part of Metro Atlanta because we are not considered that for TSPLOST? Wake up man!! 65% of the working people in this county travel to either Cobb, Douglas or Fulton Counties each day to work. We most certainly are part of the metro area and what happens there directly impacts the lives of every Paulding resident that works in thos e counties.

Edited by Proud Independent
  • Like 1

No kidding. You want to dismiss us as being part of Metro Atlanta because we are not considered that for TSPLOST? Wake up man!! 65% of the working people in this county travel to either Cobb, Douglas or Fulton Counties each day to work. We most certainly are part of the metro area and what happens there directly impacts the lives of every Paulding resident that works in thos e counties.

Yes, in almost every other way, Paulding is part of Metro Atlanta. This topic is about TSPLOST in Paulding County. The point is passing TSPLOST in Paulding will do nothing to help the traffic in Metro Atlanta.

• Like 1

I guess my biggest problem with the whole thing is it's just a band-aid.

Every time a lane has been added to I-20, I-75, etc, it's been promoted as fixing the traffic issues.

Now the supporters are saying for more growth, we have to fix the traffic issues. Guess what, if we do, we'll get more growth and be back where we started from.

This is nothing more than a band-aid that everyone pays for.

From what I saw, the biggest improvement in Paulding was widening 278 to six lanes. Wow, what a nightmare that will be for 2 years or so! By the time it's finished, all it will have done is keep traffic from getting worse.

We need to fix the root cause of the problems and that is 90% of Polk and Paulding County having to drive to/through Cobb to work! We need the jobs HERE! Give me a 1% SPLOST to build business infrastructure in the county to get good paying jobs here and I'd seriously look at supporting it. (depending on the details, if Jerry S is in charge of disbursing the cash, forget it :) )

I just don't see where this solves anything.

JMHO

Sound Guy, there are some 20,000 lots approved for housing now in Paulding. Those houses will be built and those drivers will drive on our roads. Do we fix the problems now while it is cheaper or later after the influx of drivers and rising prices? Paulding is growing and will continue to do so. The sooner the water and roads are improved, the sooner we can get businesses to locate here.

Sound Guy, there are some 20,000 lots approved for housing now in Paulding. Those houses will be built and those drivers will drive on our roads. Do we fix the problems now while it is cheaper or later after the influx of drivers and rising prices? Paulding is growing and will continue to do so. The sooner the water and roads are improved, the sooner we can get businesses to locate here.

There may be 20,000 lots approved for building, but we have no idea when or if those will ever actually result in houses. The boom days of Paulding are behind us. I don't believe you will see an influx of people like you did in the early 2000's until the economy drastically improves. And even then with gas prices being high people won't readily buy homes in one of the far out burbs.

• Like 1

The traffic problem going into town on I-20 could be fixed by putting ten state patrolmen at the 285 interchange a couple of mornings a month to ticket the ENTITLED drivers that don't think they should have to wait in line like everyone else.

• Like 3

I will not vote another voluntary tax on myself until the state spends the money it already had more responsibly.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Other members of Congress from Georgia in either party earlier this year requested earmarks for projects such as a $330,000 renovation of a historic train car repair shop in Savannah; $200,000-plus to study ways to improve Georgia's blueberry production; and $178,000 to study a disease called phytophthora that affects cucumbers and squash.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• Like 3

I will not vote another voluntary tax on myself until the state spends the money it already had more responsibly.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Other members of Congress from Georgia in either party earlier this year requested earmarks for projects such as a $330,000 renovation of a historic train car repair shop in Savannah; $200,000-plus to study ways to improve Georgia's blueberry production; and $178,000 to study a disease called phytophthora that affects cucumbers and squash.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I totally agree with you. Also apply the same idea to local government not spending our money responsibly.

Our local County Court House cost us $65 million.

Assuming 5% interest spread over 30 years the payment works out to $348,932.09 per month. That's $484.63 per hour every hour of every day for 30 years just for the payment. 5% interest sounds cheap till you realize that's $60,615,552.00 interest paid over 30 years.

This local and state track record of unaccountable spending is why I have already voted NO.

Early voting is now open at our $65,000,000.00 Court House.

The only way to stop this 14-1/4 % increase in sales tax is to get out and vote NO.

Edited by mojo413
  • Like 2

I totally agree with you. Also apply the same idea to local government not spending our money responsibly.

Our local County Court House cost us $65 million.

Assuming 5% interest spread over 30 years the payment works out to $348,932.09 per month. That's $484.63 per hour every hour of every day for 30 years just for the payment. 5% interest sounds cheap till you realize that's $60,615,552.00 interest paid over 30 years.

This local and state track record of unaccountable spending is why I have already voted NO.

Early voting is now open at our $65,000,000.00 Court House.

The only way to stop this 14-1/4 % increase in sales tax is to get out and vote NO.

Voting NO!!!!!!

The train shop repair will bring money right back to the state, Savannah is a tourist attraction and this shop is one of their big attractions I have visited the shop myself. As for the agricultural studies you do know that south Georgia is very dependent on agriculture. I don't see any of these things as outlandish, expensive yes.

Everything is expensive now.

Only one person mentioned how they felt about a project on the Paulding list as a reason they were against it.

I don't know how many take 278 in to work, all I know is I hate to take that road with a passion, in fact I hate to go to Atlanta period because of the traffic. It is one of those little things that spin me up, the 1/2 hour of winding surface roads to get to any expressway.

That is a big reason I personally support it.

I also believe that if it was not for the massive amount if misinformation about it coming out of Cobb many of the people here in our county would support it.

It is still being discussed in this thread how all the road tax money given to the major Expressways has been misused and has not helped.

So here we go again.

THE MONEY COLLECTED FROM YOU IN PAULDING COUNTY WILL NOT GO TO ANY EXPRESS WAYS BECAUSE THERE NOT ANY IN YOUR REGION!

THE MONEY COLLECTED FROM YOU IN PAULDING COUNTY WILL NOT GO TO ANY PUBLIC TRANSPORTATION BECAUSE THERE NOT ANY IN YOUR REGION!

THE MONEY WILL NOT GO TO ANY PUBLIC BUILDINGS IN PAULDING, THE MONEY CAN ONLY BE SPENT ON THE PROJECTS ON THE LIST AND REPAIR AND MAINTENANCE OF ROADS.

AS FOR THE HOUSING ISSUES THEY HAVE ZERO TO DO WITH THE PROJECTS ON OUR LIST,THE ROAD IMPROVEMENT IS DIRECTED AT THE 70% PEOPLE COMMUTING OUTSIDE OF THE AREA.

Sound guy to answer your question about the tsplost being used for economic growth, we are doing that presently. Our tsplost is currently building the Cedercrest extension. That extension allows us to recover sewer that was run to the area to serve more housing development. The developer went belly up. We will now be able to commercial and industrial in there that needs sewer.

We are currently working on finding ways to recover more infrastructure when feasible for economic development.

It is a slower process because you simply have what you have and you have to pitch a lot of companies until you find one the the land suits. If you watched my video with Jamie Gilbert you will see what we have currently to offer companies around the world.

Everything on the list are projects that will eventually end up on our existing tsplost plan, so I hope folks like what they see on it.

When ask to put together our list for our county it was relatively easy, it was not something made up, as in oh good tax payer money lets find some goodies to spend it on.

If we vote it in it will free up the splost we have now to spend on other projects just like the Cedercrest extension.

If our officials were not as focused on economic development I might have reservations, I love the idea that nobody can ever change that list to put a pet project on it. In fact it is a better deal then the existing one because whomever is in charge decides were that money goes.

I am told that economic development is coming out with a report of progress in the next week or so. I will publish it for you to see Sound Guy.

• Like 1

The train shop repair will bring money right back to the state, Savannah is a tourist attraction and this shop is one of their big attractions I have visited the shop myself. As for the agricultural studies you do know that south Georgia is very dependent on agriculture. I don't see any of these things as outlandish, expensive yes.

Everything is expensive now.

Only one person mentioned how they felt about a project on the Paulding list as a reason they were against it.

I don't know how many take 278 in to work, all I know is I hate to take that road with a passion, in fact I hate to go to Atlanta period because of the traffic. It is one of those little things that spin me up, the 1/2 hour of winding surface roads to get to any expressway.

That is a big reason I personally support it.

I also believe that if it was not for the massive amount if misinformation about it coming out of Cobb many of the people here in our county would support it.

It is still being discussed in this thread how all the road tax money given to the major Expressways has been misused and has not helped.

So here we go again.

THE MONEY COLLECTED FROM YOU IN PAULDING COUNTY WILL NOT GO TO ANY EXPRESS WAYS BECAUSE THERE NOT ANY IN YOUR REGION!

THE MONEY COLLECTED FROM YOU IN PAULDING COUNTY WILL NOT GO TO ANY PUBLIC TRANSPORTATION BECAUSE THERE NOT ANY IN YOUR REGION!

THE MONEY WILL NOT GO TO ANY PUBLIC BUILDINGS IN PAULDING, THE MONEY CAN ONLY BE SPENT ON THE PROJECTS ON THE LIST AND REPAIR AND MAINTENANCE OF ROADS.

AS FOR THE HOUSING ISSUES THEY HAVE ZERO TO DO WITH THE PROJECTS ON OUR LIST,THE ROAD IMPROVEMENT IS DIRECTED AT THE 70% PEOPLE COMMUTING OUTSIDE OF THE AREA.

Sound guy to answer your question about the tsplost being used for economic growth, we are doing that presently. Our tsplost is currently building the Cedercrest extension. That extension allows us to recover sewer that was run to the area to serve more housing development. The developer went belly up. We will now be able to commercial and industrial in there that needs sewer.

We are currently working on finding ways to recover more infrastructure when feasible for economic development.

It is a slower process because you simply have what you have and you have to pitch a lot of companies until you find one the the land suits. If you watched my video with Jamie Gilbert you will see what we have currently to offer companies around the world.

Everything on the list are projects that will eventually end up on our existing tsplost plan, so I hope folks like what they see on it.

When ask to put together our list for our county it was relatively easy, it was not something made up, as in oh good tax payer money lets find some goodies to spend it on.

If we vote it in it will free up the splost we have now to spend on other projects just like the Cedercrest extension.

If our officials were not as focused on economic development I might have reservations, I love the idea that nobody can ever change that list to put a pet project on it. In fact it is a better deal then the existing one because whomever is in charge decides were that money goes.

I am told that economic development is coming out with a report of progress in the next week or so. I will publish it for you to see Sound Guy.

Really!!!!! Five million goes to Public transporation, Several million goes to a facility for traffic control and 25% of all monies collected go to those pet projects that you speak of that are not on the approved list, Sorta like the sidewalk to nowhere On the Dallas Actworth Highway And a full 54 Milion for the west Dallas by pass that reroutes 61 North around the historic district

This is your Paulding list so that we can have a discussion about what your pennies will be spent on.

The law says they can not spend it on anything else. They are legally bound by this document when you vote for the tsplost.

Paulding County

• Macland Rd./SR 360 Widening

• Paulding County SR 120/East Paulding Dr/Dallas-Acworth Hwy-ATMS

• Paulding County Traffic Control Center (TCC)

• SR 6 Advanced Management System Project

• SR 61 at Hart Rd. Improvements (CR 249) (within limits of PI 621570/PA-06101)

• SR 61 at Mustang Dr. Improvements (CR 331) (within limits of PI 621570/ PA-061 C1)

• SR 61 at Old Villa Rica Improvements (CR 246) (within limits of Pl 621570/ PA-061Cl)

• SR 61 at Paulding County High School/Aiken Dr. (PI 621670)

• SR 61 at Vernoy Aiken Rd. Improvements (CR 243) (within limits of PI 621570/ PA-061C1)

• SR 61 from Winndale Rd. to US 278 Widening

• US 278/SR 6 Widening from SR 120/Bill Carruth Pkwy. East to the Cobb County Line

• West Dallas Bypass

• Xpress Regional Commuter Service – Northwest Georgia

This is the commuter bus that picks people up at movies 278 and takes them straight down town.

The word commuter binds them to only improve that type of transportation. Not city buses or trains.