Paulding.com
Sign in to follow this  
Malia110

Computer Gurus

Is there something out there that can be shared between two locations, without the pc's being networked? With my company, we need a calendar where we can block days, schedule deliveries, schedule meetings, etc. that we can all see, but we are still a very small business...any suggestions?

Malia

Is there something out there that can be shared between two locations, without the pc's being networked? With my company, we need a calendar where we can block days, schedule deliveries, schedule meetings, etc. that we can all see, but we are still a very small business...any suggestions?

Malia

Malia:

I think the calendar program we have on pcom does the trick.

I think it can be set up for private group calendars as well. (I've never done it but I think I read it can be done.)

pubby

Malia

You can use Microsoft Outlook with Exchange Server. That's what most companies use.

You can use Microsoft Outlook with Exchange Server. That's what most companies use.

That's the standard but does require a network setup at the working location and a hefty investment to get it rolled out. Something like Google Apps may offer the same functionality if you're just wanting to use a shared calender system online and you can sync up each PC/Device without needing an enterprise network solution.

Malia

Gmail would be a good option. Gives you the ability to share calendars with a fair amount of functionality.

And there is nothing to install on the PC, so there is basically no maintenance once you got it working. If you need help, send me a PM.

Gmail also gives you the ability to share documents (spreadsheets, etc.) with other people, with Google Drive.

Edited by hurstrsq
  • Like 1

Bad solution for a very small business without the support/budget in place. Lotus Notes is popular with some very large companies.

Personally, I can't stand using outlook. Luckily I've never worked anywhere that used outlook.

That's the standard but does require a network setup at the working location and a hefty investment to get it rolled out. Something like Google Apps may offer the same functionality if you're just wanting to use a shared calender system online and you can sync up each PC/Device without needing an enterprise network solution.

Exactly what Riptides said. I must have missed the post.

Allow your computer at work to use "Remote Desktop Connection" then just use "Remote Desktop Connection" from your home computer and connect to your "desktop" of you work computer. After you make sure your network @ work will allow remote connections to there network. and a user account is setup for this remote connection on both computers.

or

you can download and install "TeamViewer" this is a remote desktop control software...good stuff!

Google calendar or gmail gets my vote. It's awesome to use from home and work. There's also an app and I use it from my smartphone. I LOVE it!

(Believe me, I've shopped around.)

I have seven calendars that I manage through google calendars - it's set up to send out all the reminders - each family member has one - then my boy scout troop, my soccer team, and each school has its own calendar. The calendars all show up on all of the associated devices (computers, pads, phones, touches, etc.) I highly recommend it. PM if you want more info.

You can see just my troop's portion at www.troop7online.org - click on calendar.

If you are using Apple Computers, iPads, or iPhones, you can share any of your calendars and all use one calendar between computers.

If you are using Apple Computers, iPads, or iPhones, you can share any of your calendars and all use one calendar between computers.

Can you make the apple calendar system work with anything other than apple products? (I love my i stuff - truly just a question)

Can you make the apple calendar system work with anything other than apple products? (I love my i stuff - truly just a question)

I do not believe so. It works between Mac computers, iPhones, and iPads, and I think it can be shared with windows pc's, but it all originates on the calendar app on the apple device.

your company should invest in a cloud server or think about renting a cloud host server then just hire someone to keep the cloud server current.

Wonderful!!! Again....great suggestions....no Mac stuff....not big enough for all that jazz Scottie, maybe one day...think I might try Google calendar first!

Gmail/google calendar is a good option. I used it for my office for quite. You can actually set up a free domain with them, and create separate logins for each person in the company, and then share them with varying permission levels (ability to view only, see free/busy, edit, etc). We started to have a few issues with reliability though (appointments would disappear, which is not a good idea for any business!!!).

We recently switched to Microsoft 365. They have outlook online, and it can sync with any smartphone. It works like a server, and the monthly fee is fairly small. Obviously the free google calendar is the cheaper option, but Microsoft 365 has been very reliable, and works great for us, both in the office and mobile. I have it synced with i-phone, i-pad, laptop, and everyone has remote internet access as well.