Paulding.com

Georgians on food stamps balloons

1341700287[/url]' post='3661018']

Show me a federal or state program that is used or run properly.

Wait. I got it. Obamacare will be the ONE that is run properly. :rofl:

Haha....I wasn't thinking. You're right.

Still, an auditing dept would save millions......theoretically.

(teaching at a "low incomee" school has made me jaded)

Edited by workingforaliving

I'm not sure about everyone else but this has been the longest four years of my life... :closedeyes:

Ain't that the truth. I'm tired of folks not having a job and people losing their homes and local and state economies collapsing and the price of food and gas And on and on.

Gawd! We've got 3 1/2 months to go. I am hoping and praying Obama is ogonea.

My serious concern is Romney is talking about a female running mate. Didn't we go through that fiasco 4 years ago??

My pick would be Bobby Jindal.

• Like 1

But you know, if you're in my age bracket (I'm 57) and have a disabling condition, you're better off to stop fighting for those jobs that you aren't going to get anyway.

I have a neighbor who should qualify for SSDI without a problem. He's been looking for a job for over a year. He can't do what he did in the past. Pure and simple, physically and legally he can't do it. Physically he can't do the home inspections he did and legally he can't drive a tractor trailer. He can't pass the DOT physical.

At least SSDI is funded through employer and employee contributions.

BTW, my hubby is on SSDI at the age of 61, though he has been on it for two years already. He can't do the type of work he had done for 40+ years. He hates it! He would much rather work. In fact, he dreams about it some nights.

And more people went on social security disability than got jobs last month. According to the news yesterday.

Ain't that the truth. I'm tired of folks not having a job and people losing their homes and local and state economies collapsing and the price of food and gas And on and on.

Gawd! We've got 3 1/2 months to go. I am hoping and praying Obama is ogonea.

My serious concern is Romney is talking about a female running mate. Didn't we go through that fiasco 4 years ago??

My pick would be Bobby Jindal.

Don't think I can disagree with that. I really would like to see Paul Ryan run. I love him. He is "dapper".

Edited by MrsB

But you know, if you're in my age bracket (I'm 57) and have a disabling condition, you're better off to stop fighting for those jobs that you aren't going to get anyway.

I have a neighbor who should qualify for SSDI without a problem. He's been looking for a job for over a year. He can't do what he did in the past. Pure and simple, physically and legally he can't do it. Physically he can't do the home inspections he did and legally he can't drive a tractor trailer. He can't pass the DOT physical.

At least SSDI is funded through employer and employee contributions.

BTW, my hubby is on SSDI at the age of 61, though he has been on it for two years already. He can't do the type of work he had done for 40+ years. He hates it! He would much rather work. In fact, he dreams about it some nights.

I'm older than you and thankfully retired with my money in an IRA.

The people that are truly disabled physically and have worked all their life have the hardest time getting approved. But take some 30 YO that can get their doctor to say they're mentally willl get it no problem. I've seen (in the news) all kinds of people that get SSDI that in my opinion don't deserve it.

Well Nancy Pelosi said the quickest way to create jobs was to provide more food stamps and unemployment benefits. :wacko: I'm looking forward to all of those Pelosi jobs in Georgia....

But, but, but.....in my other thread several of P.com's finest said that the president and his admin. have nothing to do with job creation..... :wacko:

My hubby beat the odds and got approved on the first try. 119 days after filing we got the letter saying he had been approved. We were shocked, to say the least. Even his orthopaedist said it was unlikely he would get it on the first try. When I told the orthopaedist he, too, was shocked. He said he had never seen anyone get it on the first try. Hubby had been working since he was 13, so he had definitely paid into it.

My sister in law has been on SSDI for a good many years now. Personally, I think she can work without a problem. She is schizo-affective but as long as she stays on her meds, she is as sane (or more sane) than I am. I think she's 48 and has been on SSDI since about the mid 1990s.

I'm older than you and thankfully retired with my money in an IRA.

The people that are truly disabled physically and have worked all their life have the hardest time getting approved. But take some 30 YO that can get their doctor to say they're mentally willl get it no problem. I've seen (in the news) all kinds of people that get SSDI that in my opinion don't deserve it.

Instead of taking swipes at Obama for poor job growth in GA (though I'm sure y'all are right and he's singled out GA for poor growth), how about asking what in the hell are locally and state elected officials are doing to bring jobs to GA?

mrnn

• Like 4

It's not the government's place to create jobs. That's what businesses are for.

BTW, isn't the primary job growth in public sector jobs? I guess in that case, the government IS creating jobs. For them.

Instead of taking swipes at Obama for poor job growth in GA (though I'm sure y'all are right and he's singled out GA for poor growth), how about asking what in the hell are locally and state elected officials are doing to bring jobs to GA?

mrnn

• Like 1

mrnn

The president is responsible for the direction of the economy. Until employers feel confident with the economy, there will not be an influx of new jobs. Swipe deserved...

Wait until NOBAMA care goes into effect. There will be 16,000 new gestapo IRS jobs so they can collect the penalty tax.

Very sad but true...

• Like 1

I've seen (in the news) all kinds of people that get SSDI that in my opinion don't deserve it.

I've seen it in my own family - and, I'm ashamed of them. One is at the dang beach right now - AGAIN. His mother - my aunt - well, he gets a condo with a group of people so he isn't paying that much to go - bullcheeze - he parties like a rock star when he's there and then comes home and complains that he doesn't make enough on disability to pay his bills. :wacko:

mrnn

What happens at the federal level trickles down and impacts state and local government.

IMO, no mental disorder except schizophrenia and other major psychoses should be considered disabling. Depression and anxiety may be disabling but certainly rarely are they permanently disabling.

I've seen (in the news) all kinds of people that get SSDI that in my opinion don't deserve it.

Sorry state of affairs.

"Number of Georgians on food stamps balloons"

"Nearly one in five Georgians now gets federal assistance to put dinner on the table".

http://www.ajc.com/n...on-1473447.html

Leave it to our government to slow down, over spend and complicate EVERY "service " they provide. They cannot do ANYTHING better than the private sector...clear and simply proven.
  • Like 1

IMO, no mental disorder except schizophrenia and other major psychoses should be considered disabling. Depression and anxiety may be disabling but certainly rarely are they permanently disabling.

Drug addiction and alcoholism also qualify. angry.gif

• Like 1

BTW, isn't the primary job growth in public sector jobs?

Hardly. While the private sector has gained something like 4 million jobs since '09, the public sector has lost several hundred thousand in that same time period. It's the fact that governments are working against the economy that is hurting overall jobs numbers.

mrnn

It seems, to me, that Georgians are only doing what is expected. They have to get Federal Assistance. The state ranked highest on putting families out on the street, by foreclosures in this country, in the last couple months. And was bottom on the U.S. totem pole in its ability to guard it's citizens against Public Corruption. :unsure:

Edited by The Postman

Georgia has the shortest time allowed on unemployment 21 weeks. People forced to take low paying jobs with families can qualify for food stamps. Keep believing that Georgia has the highest number of people gaming the system if you want.

Right to work states tend to have the lowest wages and least benefits, I know a lot of folks are glad so many minimum wage part time jobs are available in this state since their unemployment ran out. They should be thankful to have a job.

• Like 2

Georgia has the shortest time allowed on unemployment 21 weeks. People forced to take low paying jobs with families can qualify for food stamps. Keep believing that Georgia has the highest number of people gaming the system if you want.

Right to work states tend to have the lowest wages and least benefits, I know a lot of folks are glad so many minimum wage part time jobs are available in this state since their unemployment ran out. They should be thankful to have a job.

It seems, to me, LPPT , that Georgia citizans want just what they are getting out of their representatives, in this state. Is this that they knew the Feds would feed them, with food stamps?

I know people think I am a backward arse nut job; but what are they responsible for? :pardon:

It seems, to me, LPPT , that Georgia citizans want just what they are getting out of their representatives, in this state. Is this that they knew the Feds would feed them, with food stamps?

I know people think I am a backward arse nut job; but what are they responsible for? :pardon:

You had better believe certain business models thrive because the taxpayers pick up the tab.

In fact they count on it, now the feds are gonna make them pay up for all the medical they have been covering for them and they are crying like babies, might have to sell a few condos and give up some collections and expensive vacations you and I paid for through our taxes so their employees didn't drop over freakin dead! Put 1.99 hamburger where the sun don't shine cause it cost me more a year in taxes than I am gonna publicize.

• Like 1

You had better believe certain business models thrive because the taxpayers pick up the tab.

In fact they count on it, now the feds are gonna make them pay up for all the medical they have been covering for them and they are crying like babies, might have to sell a few condos and give up some collections and expensive vacations you and I paid for through our taxes so their employees didn't drop over freakin dead! Put 1.99 hamburger where the sun don't shine cause it cost me more a year in taxes than I am gonna publicize.

The Fed. sends my check, every month, on the day it is supposed to be here, and Paulding county, alone, has been getting way over a thousand dollars a year, in taxes, out of it.

People's been telling me to move, if I don't like the way things are, around here. Well, I did move out of Paulding County, but was stuck with a homestead, I can't sell at a decent price.

Thanks for allowing me to rant, LPPT! :drinks:

welcome to that club! That's what happens when the government mandates banks and mortgage companies give mortgages to any and everyone regardless of their ability to pay and then the banks and mortgage companies become the not-so-proud owners of those houses when the person with the mortgage can't pay.

The Fed. sends my check, every month, on the day it is supposed to be here, and Paulding county, alone, has been getting way over a thousand dollars a year, in taxes, out of it.

People's been telling me to move, if I don't like the way things are, around here. Well, I did move out of Paulding County, but was stuck with a homestead, I can't sell at a decent price.

Thanks for allowing me to rant, LPPT! :drinks:

• Like 1

welcome to that club! That's what happens when the government mandates banks and mortgage companies give mortgages to any and everyone regardless of their ability to pay and then the banks and mortgage companies become the not-so-proud owners of those houses when the person with the mortgage can't pay.

It's a good thing the Fed sends me a check, because I couldn't pay for mine, either.

The way it seems to me, I live in the wrong state. Georgia banks foreclosed on more families than the states that has representatives who didn't rum on family values. :pardon:

Edited by The Postman

Yep, too much to expect someone to pay their bills. Blame it on the government. NOW where are the family values? Not paying your bills to the point you lose your house?

It's a good thing the Fed sends me a check, because I couldn't pay for mine, either.

The way it seems to me, I live in the wrong state. Georgia banks foreclosed on more families than the states that has representatives who didn't rum on family values. :pardon:

Yep, too much to expect someone to pay their bills. Blame it on the government. NOW where are the family values? Not paying your bills to the point you lose your house?

So, you are saying Georgia representatives are justified in in the way they allow families to be foreclosed on, in this state? While knowing that the last study, by Realtrac, showed that Georgia had more foreclosures than any of the 50 states. I can't understand family values on a 1:50 ratio.

If they are justified, why is Georgia citizens in need of such severe training in family values?:drinks:

See, that's what I'm not understanding. DH and I both lost our jobs in 09. We paid our house payment first, and then paid the rest of the bills. Did we fall behind? Yep, sure did. Are we still playing catch up? Yep. But, we are working with our lender (one the big bad evil banks) and so far we have been able to keep our home.

DH got UI for 12 or 14 weeks, and that was it for him. I wasn't able to get UI. DH, is one of those older workers that went ahead, and retired after a year of looking, and being told "oh we have filled the job" or after not hearing anything being told "we decided to go in a different direction." Basically "your too old." So we adjusted our bills, and eliminated things we don't need. Funny how we have been able to keep our home through all this.

Oh, and because I am just too honest , and included all our income on our application for FS we haven't been able to get them.

BTW what does forecloses have to do with FS?

We should measure welfare's success by how many people leave welfare, not by how many are added.

Ronald Reagan

See, that's what I'm not understanding. DH and I both lost our jobs in 09. We paid our house payment first, and then paid the rest of the bills. Did we fall behind? Yep, sure did. Are we still playing catch up? Yep. But, we are working with our lender (one the big bad evil banks) and so far we have been able to keep our home.

DH got UI for 12 or 14 weeks, and that was it for him. I wasn't able to get UI. DH, is one of those older workers that went ahead, and retired after a year of looking, and being told "oh we have filled the job" or after not hearing anything being told "we decided to go in a different direction." Basically "your too old." So we adjusted our bills, and eliminated things we don't need. Funny how we have been able to keep our home through all this.

Oh, and because I am just too honest , and included all our income on our application for FS we haven't been able to get them.

BTW what does forecloses have to do with FS?

We should measure welfare's success by how many people leave welfare, not by how many are added.

Ronald Reagan

As long as the government continues to pick up the slack, we won't have a true market. When their business fails because of mistakes or hiring kids, over paying executives, we bail them out, or cut their taxes.

Many of our foreclosures are do to unemployment and flat wages in Georgia. It has just been recently banks are working with people, why? because when they get too many foreclosures on their books the bank is dissolved.

I just read an article, I may post it in the morning, the only thing keeping our hospitals afloat are the Medicaid payments.

Same with our universities, everything they meddle in creates a false market that becomes totally dependent on tax revenue.

The banks were stupid to have gone along, now look were they are at. We have generations of people that don't know what life is without the government subsidizing everything. Most don't know that fuel and utilities are subsidized.

We have allowed the ridiculous raping of companies by executives, we have been preventing failure in many markets by subsidizing. If 20% are on food stamps then that is 20% of the grocery stores be subsidized, add in the farmers being subsidized.

They artificially inflate all that they touch, then come to us with their hand out to pay the bill.

I wish you luck with getting everything straightened out.