Paulding.com

Will the real BILL HEATH please stand up?

Pubby, I can assure you that I have done nothing to mask my IP address, but I do find the fact that you went snooping to be a little disturbing. If my IP address had led you to believe that I was Mr. Anivatarte, would you have compromised my anonymity?

He didn't "go snooping"per se.Any admin or moderator can see the ip address of every member here.If it's like a board I was mod on,it's right under the user name.Just plug the addy into the ip search engine and any mod knows where you are posting from.

It's a nifty little tool to find out who has multiple user names.

He didn't "go snooping"per se.Any admin or moderator can see the ip address of every member here.If it's like a board I was mod on,it's right under the user name.Just plug the addy into the ip search engine and any mod knows where you are posting from.

It's a nifty little tool to find out who has multiple user names.

Sorry deerslayer, but taking someone's IP address (information that only an admin has access to) and going to see if it can be tied to a specific company is snooping. No harm done in this case, but what I would like to impress on Pubby is that it is important that he maintains the trust of his users. I may disagree with Pubby on politics 99% of the time, but up to this point I have not doubted whether or not he could be trusted on the anonymity issue.

Sorry deerslayer, but taking someone's IP address (information that only an admin has access to) and going to see if it can be tied to a specific company is snooping. No harm done in this case, but what I would like to impress on Pubby is that it is important that he maintains the trust of his users. I may disagree with Pubby on politics 99% of the time, but up to this point I have not doubted whether or not he could be trusted on the anonymity issue.

You can even go to any members profile and click on"display name history" and see just how many times they changed their user name.

Edited by thedeerslayer

I am not sure that Pubby can assure anonymity.

In 2006 Jerry Shearin called me out during a commissioners meeting that was broadcast all over the county, I have been called out several other times during the school bond campaign to name another time which included posting my tax information on this site, Another occasion was when I was opposing a zoning issue.

The contents of post in many cases can lead to ones identity, coupled with you tube videos and political rallies, FACEBOOK, sometimes is a dead giveaway.

I think pigpen is getting close to solving your identity without the need of any outside help

We have the ability to check IP addresses to maintain the integrity of the board. We don't want one person to assume several identities to trash a businesses competitor by making it look like many people are upset or give the impression one opinion is more popular than another. We've had instances where that or similar things have happened. No one's identity is ever revealed to anyone without a court order compelling that action.

Back to the issue of who is and isn't an engineer, I don't think that you meant to cite Official Code of Georgia 45-15-30(11). Title 45 Chapter 15 deals with the Attorney General.

Title 43 Chapter 15 items 10 and 11 contains the definition of a Professional Engineer: (emphasis added by me)

•  
  • 10) "Professional engineer" means an individual who is qualified, by reason of knowledge of mathematics, the physical sciences, and the principles by which mechanical properties of matter are made useful to man in structures and machines, acquired by professional education and practical experience, to engage in the practice of professional engineering and who possesses a current certificate of registration as a professional engineer issued by the board.
  • (11) "Professional engineering" means the practice of the art and sciences, known as engineering, by which mechanical properties of matter are made useful to man in structures and machines and shall include any professional service, such as consultation, investigation, evaluation, planning, designing, or responsible supervision of construction or operation, in connection with any public or private utilities, structures, buildings, machines, equipment, processes, works, or projects, wherein the public welfare or the safeguarding of life, health, or property is concerned or involved, when such professional service requires the application of engineering principles and data and training in the application of mathematical and physical sciences. A person shall be construed to practice or offer to practice professional engineering, within the meaning of this chapter who by verbal claim, sign, advertisement, letterhead, card, or in any other way represents or holds himself out as a professional engineer or engineer or as able or qualified to perform engineering services or who does perform any of the services set out in this paragraph. Nothing contained in this chapter shall include the work ordinarily performed by persons who operate or maintain machinery or equipment.

This is consistent with what I and several others have said. It is clear that they are talking about a Professional Engineer (capital P, capital E). In order to claim to be a PE, you need to have the appropriate educational background and have been licensed. There are many jobs and services that require this, but there are many more that do not. Some of the best engineers that I have known didn't have a PE or even an engineering degree; they were completely self-taught.

The more lame attacks directed at Heath that I read (and taking into account their source) the more I am leaning toward Heath

Well that's a sure way to ensure we get some quality leadership - bad enough people vote for the D or the R beside the name or the big money candidate based on name recognition only; I sincerely hope those who would cast a vote out of spite or revenge or whatever you call ^^that ^^ are few and far between.

• Like 1

I am not sure that Pubby can assure anonymity.

In 2006 Jerry Shearin called me out during a commissioners meeting that was broadcast all over the county, I have been called out several other times during the school bond campaign to name another time which included posting my tax information on this site, Another occasion was when I was opposing a zoning issue.

The contents of post in many cases can lead to ones identity, coupled with you tube videos and political rallies, FACEBOOK, sometimes is a dead giveaway.

I think pigpen is getting close to solving your identity without the need of any outside help

Not sure I like the idea of looking at folks who post here to that extent. It amounts to calling them out which I thought was against Pubby's rules. JMO

Back to the issue of who is and isn't an engineer, I don't think that you meant to cite Official Code of Georgia 45-15-30(11). Title 45 Chapter 15 deals with the Attorney General.

Title 43 Chapter 15 items 10 and 11 contains the definition of a Professional Engineer: (emphasis added by me)

• 10) "Professional engineer" means an individual who is qualified, by reason of knowledge of mathematics, the physical sciences, and the principles by which mechanical properties of matter are made useful to man in structures and machines, acquired by professional education and practical experience, to engage in the practice of professional engineering and who possesses a current certificate of registration as a professional engineer issued by the board.
  • (11) "Professional engineering" means the practice of the art and sciences, known as engineering, by which mechanical properties of matter are made useful to man in structures and machines and shall include any professional service, such as consultation, investigation, evaluation, planning, designing, or responsible supervision of construction or operation, in connection with any public or private utilities, structures, buildings, machines, equipment, processes, works, or projects, wherein the public welfare or the safeguarding of life, health, or property is concerned or involved, when such professional service requires the application of engineering principles and data and training in the application of mathematical and physical sciences. A person shall be construed to practice or offer to practice professional engineering, within the meaning of this chapter who by verbal claim, sign, advertisement, letterhead, card, or in any other way represents or holds himself out as a professional engineer or engineer or as able or qualified to perform engineering services or who does perform any of the services set out in this paragraph. Nothing contained in this chapter shall include the work ordinarily performed by persons who operate or maintain machinery or equipment.

This is consistent with what I and several others have said. It is clear that they are talking about a Professional Engineer (capital P, capital E). In order to claim to be a PE, you need to have the appropriate educational background and have been licensed. There are many jobs and services that require this, but there are many more that do not. Some of the best engineers that I have known didn't have a PE or even an engineering degree; they were completely self-taught.

It seems pretty obvious that to engage in 'professional engineering", one must have a registration certificate as called for in the highlited last sentence of paragraph 10. "Somebody" at Heath's engineering firm better be registered. Maybe there is an employee or his wife who has the magic piece of paper?

After sleeping on it, I was not that happy with a post that I made yesterday. It was inconsistent with my own logic about Pcom as an open forum. Certainly pigpen has the right to raise any objection that he thinks is legitimate. Myself and others have the right to point out what we consider to be flaws in his logic, but I did not have the right to suggest that he shut-up (which I did in so many words).

I went back and deleted the last couple of sentences that I think crossed the line. I also offer my apology to pigpen on that point here publicly.

One other point. It only took me about 45 years to realize that people can have different views than me on politics and still be decent people. I don't know why it took me so many years to realize this, but it did. For those of you that I have jousted with about politics it is nothing personal, and I dare say that we might get along marvelously as long as we stay away from politics. I can't discuss politics with my own father because we are polar opposites.

• Like 4

Not sure I like the idea of looking at folks who post here to that extent. It amounts to calling them out which I thought was against Pubby's rules. JMO

I have been called out here several times,Know a lot of folks here by name and have never called them out unless they called me out first.

I try not to post anything I would not say to their face. I do not hide behind the avatar like some folks

After sleeping on it, I was not that happy with a post that I made yesterday. It was inconsistent with my own logic about Pcom as an open forum. Certainly pigpen has the right to raise any objection that he thinks is legitimate. Myself and others have the right to point out what we consider to be flaws in his logic, but I did not have the right to suggest that he shut-up (which I did in so many words).

I went back and deleted the last couple of sentences that I think crossed the line. I also offer my apology to pigpen on that point here publicly.

One other point. It only took me about 45 years to realize that people can have different views than me on politics and still be decent people. I don't know why it took me so many years to realize this, but it did. For those of you that I have jousted with about politics it is nothing personal, and I dare say that we might get along marvelously as long as we stay away from politics. I can't discuss politics with my own father because we are polar opposites.

Took me awhile to reliaze that too. I enjoy discussing politics with folks and I do try to remember that it is OK to disagree. +10 for you!

I have been called out here several times,Know a lot of folks here by name and have never called them out unless they called me out first.

I try not to post anything I would not say to their face. I do not hide behind the avatar like some folks

Yes but according to Pubby's rules you should not have been. Just my 2 cents.

It seems pretty obvious that to engage in 'professional engineering", one must have a registration certificate as called for in the highlited last sentence of paragraph 10. "Somebody" at Heath's engineering firm better be registered. Maybe there is an employee or his wife who has the magic piece of paper?

Does he actually work at this or do others in the company do that? Just wondering.

Pubby, I can assure you that I have done nothing to mask my IP address, but I do find the fact that you went snooping to be a little disturbing. If my IP address had led you to believe that I was Mr. Anivatarte, would you have compromised my anonymity?

FYI:

The assertion that you were Mr. Anavitart had been mentioned several times publicly and privately.

My only response - other than I don't disclose identities which is essentially a no-comment - was the public one that you saw.

Had you in fact been Mr. Anavitart, I would have been silent on the matter of your identity.

Since I had reason to believe you weren't and could clarify the matter to the community in a time where the obvious assumption was you were, I felt compelled to explain it as best as I could.

Let me clarify one more thing.

We have the ability to check IP addresses to maintain the integrity of the board. We don't want one person to assume several identities to trash a businesses competitor by making it look like many people are upset or give the impression one opinion is more popular than another. We've had instances where that or similar things have happened. No one's identity is ever revealed to anyone without a court order compelling that action.

The bold statement is generally true, but there are exceptions.

Exception 1: If I suspect you're using pcom to fence stolen merchandise, if I suspect you're using the site to deal and distribute narcotics, or commit that or some other crime that you are, by using the site making me an accomplice, I reserve the right if I have evidence, to rat your ass out in a New York minute.

Exception 2: If you, as a private citizen, are suing the county or city for wrongs they perpetrated against you and they, in discovery, seek to defend themselves and the taxpayers from paying a judgment out to you, we may choose to comply with a formal subpoena for information.

However, if Governor Deal were to come to me and ask for your identity so he could sic the State Patrol on you or arrest you for something you said about him, I'd tell him to issue a subpoena and given the nature of the request, I would almost certainly resist it and bring in resources from far and wide to fight the disclosure. Hell, I might even sit my butt in a 10x10 for a few months if I had to.

I've not had to do that as the only instance in which law enforcement was seeking someone on the site that did come up, I pointed them to a public post where the persons user name appeared along with their real name basically establishing they had voluntarily foregone any claim to anonymity.

I thought it appropriate to explain the broader picture here as this qualifies as a teaching moment, IMO.

pubby

Dorveille is not Anivatarte. I must say I was a little surprised at some of his recent political postings after I determined who he really was... I thought he had more class than that - I've been wrong before.