Paulding.com

What kind of snake is this?

post-7230-0-89619400-1340059230_thumb.jpg

post-7230-0-29514000-1340059238_thumb.jpg

I had just finished cutting the grass when I spotted this snake slithering in the overgrown vines and weeds underneath my back deck. It appeared to be harmless, so I stood there and watched it slither out into the yard. It went to the back of my yard and disappeared into the ground after I took these photos. That's all the motivation I needed to clear out all the vegetation from under the deck. What kind of snake is this?

Eastern Kingsnake (Lampropeltis getula)They are strong constrictors and consume a variety of prey including snakes, lizards, rodents, birds, and especially turtle eggs. Kingsnakes are resistant to the venom of pit-vipers and they readily eat copperheads, cottonmouths, and rattlesnakes

Edited by jayride
  • Like 1

The pix were a little blurred on my iPad when I blew them up, but if it is black with yellow rings around it, it is an eastern king snake. DO NOT KILL IT cuz believe it or not, it's a "good" snake!

It's not poisonous, it eats all sorts of undesirable pests....and they keep the copperheads at bay. I know some are of the opinion that the only good snake is a dead one, but this is a good one.

Its a king snake, its a very good snake. My mom said if you want to get rid of it she will have someone come over and capture it and she will give it a home at her house. I have one at my house and between my cat and the snake I don't have any problems with bad snakes and rodents. My mom has tried to steal my good snake several times.

The snake's head isn't visible in the photos because apparently it was rooting around for the hole that it disappeared into. The snake looks much bigger in these photos. I could tell that it was a harmless snake, so I just let it go and didn't try to kill it (and wasn't afraid to get close to take photos.) Sounds like a good guy to have around to get rid of other pests. Thanks for the info!

Others with disagree with my assessment but that is the worst kind--LIVE. :pardon: I hate snakes, only good snake is a dead snake. Same goes for spiders. Only good spider is a dead spider. I hate snakes. Snakes are evil.

Oh, did I mention I HATE SNAKES? I've actually considering moving to Ireland. :lol:

What kind of snake is this?

Others with disagree with my assessment but that is the worst kind--LIVE. :pardon: I hate snakes, only good snake is a dead snake. Same goes for spiders. Only good spider is a dead spider. I hate snakes. Snakes are evil.

Oh, did I mention I HATE SNAKES? I've actually considering moving to Ireland. :lol:

Im with you I hate snakes!! I think all snakes should be killed or not exist one. Either way im very scared of any kind of snake!!!!

Okay, I am so confused about this good snake thing, do good snakes not bite at all or their bites just want kill you. Regardless I don't one a good one or a bad one biting me or anywhere near me. I have such a fear of them, that I will not go outside in my yard, I have seen one and I know there are more because we are surrounded by woods. When I go in my garage I am constantly looking around, thinking one may have slitered in there, because they are so darn sneaky. I hate snakes with a passion.

Okay, I am so confused about this good snake thing, do good snakes not bite at all or their bites just want kill you. Regardless I don't one a good one or a bad one biting me or anywhere near me. I have such a fear of them, that I will not go outside in my yard, I have seen one and I know there are more because we are surrounded by woods. When I go in my garage I am constantly looking around, thinking one may have slitered in there, because they are so darn sneaky. I hate snakes with a passion.

ALL snakes can bite,ALL snakes have teeth..........but not all snakes WILL biteblink.gif...got itlaugh.gif

Generally here in Paulding there are only 2 venomous snakes to worry about.

Timber rattlesnake.

http://srelherp.uga.edu/snakes/crohor.htm

The more common copperhead,this snake will live in your backyard,where as the rattler is shy and doesn't tolerate humans being close by.

http://srelherp.uga.edu/snakes/agkcon.htm

a king snake will eat rats and mice and other snakes like copperheads. so it's GOOD to let them hang out in your yard.

I've recently begun educating myself on some of the snakes we find in GA. Reason? Because I killed a good snake a couple of weeks ago, and then felt guilty after I found out it was a friendly..not a foe.

I still don't like looking at them, and still don't wanna meet another one, but at least I hope to learn the difference between poisonous and non-poisonous snakes.

Oh...yours is a king snake. :)

Edited by deewee

ALL snakes can bite,ALL snakes have teeth..........but not all snakes WILL biteblink.gif...got itlaugh.gif

Generally here in Paulding there are only 2 venomous snakes to worry about.

Timber rattlesnake.

http://srelherp.uga....akes/crohor.htm

The more common copperhead,this snake will live in your backyard,where as the rattler is shy and doesn't tolerate humans being close by.

http://srelherp.uga....akes/agkcon.htm

On the copperheads are they brown or gray or both? I was looking at them from you link and they look like they come in those colors but then I thought it might have been the lighting.

OMG, you are me! I do the same exact thing. I will do my front yard in the spring and then I won't go out there. I don't do the backyard at all. Nothing. My son mowes the lawn. When I go into the garage to get into my truck or just to get the mail, I look all around it for a snake. I had two come in there to mate two summers ago.

On the copperheads are they brown or gray or both? I was looking at them from you link and they look like they come in those colors but then I thought it might have been the lighting.

All the ones I have seen have been the classic brown/copper color....The snake in my avatar is a copperhead from my backyard.

I'm thinking about starting educational threads on snakes in paulding county.

• Like 1

All the ones I have seen have been the classic brown/copper color....The snake in my avatar is a copperhead from my backyard.

I think that would be a great idea! I really hate to see people killing the non-venomous ones.

The pix were a little blurred on my iPad when I blew them up, but if it is black with yellow rings around it, it is an eastern king snake. DO NOT KILL IT cuz believe it or not, it's a "good" snake!

It's not poisonous, it eats all sorts of undesirable pests....and they keep the copperheads at bay. I know some are of the opinion that the only good snake is a dead one, but this is a good one.

We have alot of these around our house.....they have scared me to death!!!!

Do that! Wonderful idea. I need to learn about snakes. I know about moccasins, have plenty up North. I'm tired of having to check every step or my surround everytime I go outside.

The pic looks just like Sam. He's the Eastern King Snake that lives in our back yard. Yes he is ALIVE and that makes him all the better! I was much more calm seeing him on many occasions this year than I was the water moccasin that swam downstream towards me when I was wading around trout fishing this weekend.

OMG, you are me! I do the same exact thing. I will do my front yard in the spring and then I won't go out there. I don't do the backyard at all. Nothing. My son mowes the lawn. When I go into the garage to get into my truck or just to get the mail, I look all around it for a snake. I had two come in there to mate two summers ago.

I havent seen any in my garage but I've heard of too many people that have. So I know they can get in there. OMG!!!!! I think I would have died if I saw two in my garage. I love summer but these things just have me in such fear of just getting out and enjoying being outside!!

One way to look at it is ---- Good snakes eat bad (poisonous) snakes. They also eat rodents.

We had a king snake at our old house that we saw almost every year. Each year it would be just a little bit bigger and always appeared in the same place on the hill sunning itself on top of the pine straw. Needless to say I didn't do any raking or yard work in that area during the summer. It didn't bother us and we didn't bother it. :rolleyes:

We have lived harmoniously with our King Snakes for going on to 30 years.

Yes, they occaisionally startle us, and at time scare the snot out of us, but we love to see the slithering across the driveway with a big bulge in the middle. Another critter gone, and they keep the bad snakes away.

Our only fear now is our new granddog teacup Chihuahua living with us now wants to find them and pick a fight with them, and she is small enough to be a nice meal for them, and they see her as no different than a small rodent.

Scares us we will find a snake with half of Daisy sticking out of its mouthsad.gif

i will help you with whatever i can, we could help id and possibly do a pick up and relocate anything to help educate everyone about the good and the bad!!

a king snake will eat rats and mice and other snakes like copperheads. so it's GOOD to let them hang out in your yard.

Unless you try to pick it up or mess with it (and I don't think you will) it is not going after you as they are not aggressive. The bite will hurt only as an animal bite and it is not poisonous. They do eat rodents and ESPECIALLY other snakes including poisonous snakes. Even poisonous snakes are not usually aggressive unless cornered or threatened.

Please do!