Paulding.com

Carruth - has he been declared qualified to run?

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I think the real question is why didn't Mr. Heath VOLUNTEER his time to help Paulding County with the reservoir?

Seriously!   I feel sorry for rich people when they can't pay their property taxes and capital gains tax. Or a business trip to DC. NOT!   I don't know who I'm voting for, but I DO know it won't

Looks like a non story. Unless I see more than a DNR representative going with a delegation from Paulding to lobby for money for the reservoir then I see it as political games being played at electio

Posted Images

Looks like a non story. Unless I see more than a DNR representative going with a delegation from Paulding to lobby for money for the reservoir then I see it as political games being played at election time.

EXACTLY! Doesn't appear that David Austin or Bill Carruth did anything even remotely wrong. Must have been a very, very slow news day.

• Like 1

God Bless him, Todd Pownall is a bit upset because he served his first two years donating back the money to the county ... and I guess feels that spending on these kinds of things are wasteful. You know like having three forks for a dinner setting ... when you only really need one. (The one for salad and the other for dessert are superfluous.)

Of course that is his right to have that opinion but I think it is a bit provincial ... which is a bit of a surprise about Todd ... I thought he was more aware of the way things are customarily done. (I'm no more inclined toward waste but I can recognize the benefit of having the DNR Board Chair in meetings with the FEDS in the hopes of moving a reservoir along.)

pubby

So according to the news broadcast, Commissioner Pownall is opposed to a former Commissioner and current DNR board member making an effort to get a dependible water source for Paulding County??? What an idiot!! Clearly he dosent understand how the system works. While I would love to save the few hundred bucks in taxpayer dollars it costs for the travel expenses, I would rather the federal government pick up the multi-million dollar tab on the reservoir project. I'm guessing Todd is backing the sheetrock guy for Chairman. I guess birds of a feather... Looking forward to the debate on Tuesday.

Just got my 3RD flyer for him all the way up here in Ky. I know one thing his campaign manager ain't very smart. If I buy a mailing list for a local election I most likely would filter all the OUT OF STATE adresses out of it. Just saying.

Just got my 3RD flyer for him all the way up here in Ky. I know one thing his campaign manager ain't very smart. If I buy a mailing list for a local election I most likely would filter all the OUT OF STATE adresses out of it. Just saying.

Actually, there are some people out there that might have changed their address due to temporarily working out of town, temporarily taking care of relatives out of state, etc., but they still maintain their permanent residency in Paulding and would be able to vote in Paulding.

I personally don't think you receiving a flyer in Kentucky is stupid at all due to the above reasons. There would be no way to determine if the out of state address was due to a temporary move or otherwise unless the person mailing the flyers knew you personally. Just a thought........

Actually if you know what to ask for you can determine if it is a secondary adress. I do mass mailings as part of my job. Also this is my SECOND adress in Ky. (the county changed our house number and street name) Something that is also noted when you buy mailing list, IF you know what to ask for. The guy running this part of his campaign is a moron.

I think the real question is why didn't Mr. Heath VOLUNTEER his time to help Paulding County with the reservoir?

Uhhhh? Maybe because he lives in Haralson County? He's got no interest in what happens in Paulding until elections come around.

Buh, bye, Bill. Hello, JK.

• Like 2

Actually if you know what to ask for you can determine if it is a secondary adress. I do mass mailings as part of my job. Also this is my SECOND adress in Ky. (the county changed our house number and street name) Something that is also noted when you buy mailing list, IF you know what to ask for. The guy running this part of his campaign is a moron.

I disagree. I am not talking about secondary addresses. I am saying that there are many people out there that will do a change of address with the U. S. Postal Service when they are out of the area temporarily and do a change of address back to their permanent residence when they return.

And I certainly don't think this issue alone could qualify someone as being a "moron." Very sad that some would have that mentality.

• Like 1

So according to the news broadcast, Commissioner Pownall is opposed to a former Commissioner and current DNR board member making an effort to get a dependible water source for Paulding County??? What an idiot!! Clearly he dosent understand how the system works. While I would love to save the few hundred bucks in taxpayer dollars it costs for the travel expenses, I would rather the federal government pick up the multi-million dollar tab on the reservoir project. I'm guessing Todd is backing the sheetrock guy for Chairman. I guess birds of a feather... Looking forward to the debate on Tuesday.

Mr Pownall is probably thinking like a lot of other voters and tax payers. We should have already had the reservoir instead of the airport. Now that it is election time David starts pushing it. Why do we not already have it?

I would rather the federal government pick up the multi-million dollar tab on the reservoir project

Right, because that would leave it for '(y)our kids and grandkids' to pay for as part of the enormous debt incurred by the Obama administration :rolleyes: as opposed to paying for it now.

(Reminder: federal money is not free; it all comes from the taxpayers)

I disagree. I am not talking about secondary addresses. I am saying that there are many people out there that will do a change of address with the U. S. Postal Service when they are out of the area temporarily and do a change of address back to their permanent residence when they return.

And I certainly don't think this issue alone could qualify someone as being a "moron." Very sad that some would have that mentality.

Disagree all you want, you are wrong.

....when you buy a mailing list you can request them to add how long someone has been at the adress....so in my case when it says THREE YEARS its a pretty good clue it isn't a temp adress. You can also request the residents previous adress in several formats. In this case I would ask for their previous state. SOOOOO when my adress comes up THREE YEARS under the time at column, and then under previous says KY not GA I would filter that out of my mailings.

....and yes, if you can't do something this simple as part of your job you are a moron....but hey what do I know, I only have to do these twice a month for my job - and manage to do them correctly. :wacko:

Edited by Go BLUE!

The Paulding Republican Party doesn't back any of the candidates in a contested primary. Once the voters have decided on the candidate in July, we will do everything we can to get them elected in November.

Just had a thought. Who is the Paulding Republican Party backing in this race?

The Paulding Republican Party doesn't back any of the candidates in a contested primary. Once the voters have decided on the candidate in July, we will do everything we can to get them elected in November.

Correct but party members do and that is really what the poster was asking. The officers can't back anyone in a Primary. feelip. please clarify.

If this is the worst dirt they can dig up on Carruth and Austin, well, they're not in good shape. As someone else mentioned, you kind of put yourself on the wrong side of the issue when you complain about the way Austin went about trying to bring a multi-million dollar reservoir to the county. I, personally, would expect our County leaders to do everything in their power to succeed...if that means bringing along private citizens who are skilled negotiators, well, do it.

If I were Austin or Carruth, I would turn this story around real quick and make my opponents and Mr. Pownall out to be against the very popular idea of a reservoir.

mrnn

As someone else mentioned, you kind of put yourself on the wrong side of the issue when you complain about the way Austin went about trying to bring a multi-million dollar reservoir to the county.

mrnn

Austin was not chairman when the reservoir process was started,that was Sherin.

Correct but party members do and that is really what the poster was asking. The officers can't back anyone in a Primary. feelip. please clarify.

"Correct but party leaders do and that is really what the poster was asking."

From earlier posts I suspect this is the question.

My understanding is that it was Austin who had renewed these efforts and took his case, along with Carruth, to DC to get federal money.

mrnn

Got'cha

Don't know how far it will get,what with all the trouble hickory log creek reservoir is having in Canton.

Austin was not chairman when the reservoir process was started,that was Sherin.

When Bill Carruth was chairman of the commission in 1999, he initiated the funding for the reservoir. After Jerry Shearin was elected chairman in 2000, he continued the effort for the County and started acquiring property for it in around 2000. This was around the same time that then Representative Bill Heath lost the state funding that had been set aside for the construction of a reservoir in Haralson County, which was a major legislative debacle after years of work by Haralson County.

When Bill Carruth was chairman of the commission in 1999, he initiated the funding for the reservoir. After Jerry Shearin was elected chairman in 2000, he continued the effort for the County and started acquiring property for it in around 2000. This was around the same time that then Representative Bill Heath lost the state funding that had been set aside for the construction of a reservoir in Haralson County, which was a major legislative debacle after years of work by Haralson County.

Could you elaborate more on this? How exactly did Heath lose the funding? Not trying to be argumentative, just interested in knowing more about it.

Could you elaborate more on this? How exactly did Heath lose the funding? Not trying to be argumentative, just interested in knowing more about it.

Perhaps, much like buying a beer on Sunday, he thought that women showing their legs in public while swimming at the reservoir would cause an increase in gay marriage and domestic abuse.

mrnn

• Like 1

Before Speaker Murphy's defeat in 2002, he secured substantial funding from the State of Georgia for the acquisition/construction of the reservoir in Haralson. Heath actually ran against Speaker Murphy in 2000 as well but was defeated that year. During the campaigns, Heath claimed Speaker Murphy would have personally benefited from the construction of the reservoir where it was planned because the Speaker (or one of his family members) owned land near to where it was to be located. Heath's campaign openly criticized the reservoir and Heath made comments along the line that there's enough rain in Haralson so the reservoir as approved was not needed. Of course, our state went into a severe drought right around that time. When Heath took the Speaker's position at the state capitol, he supposedly attempted but failed miserably to keep the pre-approved funding in place. Haralson lost out on the reservoir because of Bill Heath. If he can't keep pre-approved funding for an important project in his home county, he sure aint gonna be able to get it done here.

Edited by Pigpen

Coming at 6 o'clock on Channel 7 WXYZ News: Paulding County Commissioners at odds over boondoggle.

Channel 7 has learned that some Paulding County residents are unhappy with the way their tax money is being spent, so we sent our investigative team out to get to the bottom of it. We spoke first with County Administrator Mike Jones.

Channel 7:
Mr. Jones is it true that the County Commissioners office sent Bill Carruth on a boondoggle to Washington on the taxpayers tab?

Mr. Jones:
Well, I wouldn't call it a "boondoggle", exactly. We more or less sent him up there to hob-knob with all the uppity-ups up there in Washington so we could get that reservoir down here so we can go bass fishing. I don't see what all the brouhaha is all about; everybody knows that we're dumb as dirt and can't do nothing for ourselves.

Channel 7:
Wait a minute Mr. Jones, didn't Mr. Carruth hire you as County Administrator when he was Chairmain because he was too dumb to run the county himself?

Mr. Jones:
Yeah, but he's got a lot smarter since then, and I've got a lot dumber.

We also spoke with Post 2 Commissioner Todd Pownall:

Channel 7:
Mr. Pownall, what do you think about this all expense paid trip that Mr. Carruth took to Washington?

Mr. Pownall:
Well, I just don't think it was a good idea to send him up there on the taxpayers tab.

Channel 7:
So you don't think the county should be sending private citizens on trips using county funds?

Mr. Pownall:
I don't have a problem with sending private citizens, I just don't think that they should have sent Bill Carruth to share his expertise with Washington. I'm pretty sure that they already know how to drink liquor and chase women up there.

Commission Chairman David Austin could not be found for comment because he was hiding under Mike Jones' desk.

• Like 1

Coming at 6 o'clock on Channel 7 WXYZ News: Paulding County Commissioners at odds over boondoggle.

Channel 7 has learned that some Paulding County residents are unhappy with the way their tax money is being spent, so we sent our investigative team out to get to the bottom of it. We spoke first with County Administrator Mike Jones.

Channel 7:
Mr. Jones is it true that the County Commissioners office sent Bill Carruth on a boondoggle to Washington on the taxpayers tab?

Mr. Jones:
Well, I wouldn't call it a "boondoggle", exactly. We more or less sent him up there to hob-knob with all the uppity-ups up there in Washington so we could get that reservoir down here so we can go bass fishing. I don't see what all the brouhaha is all about; everybody knows that we're dumb as dirt and can't do nothing for ourselves.

Channel 7:
Wait a minute Mr. Jones, didn't Mr. Carruth hire you as County Administrator when he was Chairmain because he was too dumb to run the county himself?

Mr. Jones:

Channel 7:
Mr. Pownall, what do you think about this all expense paid trip that Mr. Carruth took to Washington?

Mr. Pownall:
Well, I just don't think it was a good idea to send him up there on the taxpayers tab.

Channel 7:
So you don't think the county should be sending private citizens on trips using county funds?

Mr. Pownall:
I don't have a problem with sending private citizens, I just don't think that they should have sent Bill Carruth to share his expertise with Washington. I'm pretty sure that they already know how to drink liquor and chase women up there.

Commission Chairman David Austin could not be found for comment because he was hiding under Mike Jones' desk.

Not sure some of the folks mentioned will appreciate your humor. I know that I am losing a little respect for some of the folks involved in this so called exposé. Not one as far as I can tell.

• Like 1

Channel 7:

Mr. Jones:

Channel 7:

Mr. Jones:

Channel 7:

Mr. Pownall:

Channel 7:

Mr. Pownall:

1000 thumbs up.. Funny as H*LL!! and some truth in there too.. Needed that good laugh!

Before Speaker Murphy's defeat in 2002, he secured substantially funding from the State of Georgia for the acquisition/construction of the reservoir in Haralson. Heath actually ran against Speaker Murphy in 2000 as well but was defeated that year. During the campaigns, Heath claimed Speaker Murphy would have personally benefited from the construction of the reservoir where it was planned because the Speaker (or one of his family members) owned land near to where it was to be located. Heath's campaign openly criticized the reservoir and Heath made comments along the line that there's enough rain in Haralson so the reservoir as approved was not needed. Of course, our state went into a severe drought right around that time. When Heath took the Speaker's position at the state capitol, he supposedly attempted but failed miserably to keep the pre-approved funding in place. Haralson lost out on the reservoir because of Bill Heath. If he can't keep pre-approved funding for an important project in his home county, he sure aint gonna be able to get it done here.

Yep, that is Bill Heath for you ... another half-lie that Murphy was going to make out like a bandit ... when the real beneficiary was the people of Georgia who needed the water. His has been a history of focusing on petty, the small and the hateful because his view of the world is so conservative, he's like the kids staring out the back window of a slow moving station wagon.

pubby

Before Speaker Murphy's defeat in 2002, he secured substantial funding from the State of Georgia for the acquisition/construction of the reservoir in Haralson. Heath actually ran against Speaker Murphy in 2000 as well but was defeated that year. During the campaigns, Heath claimed Speaker Murphy would have personally benefited from the construction of the reservoir where it was planned because the Speaker (or one of his family members) owned land near to where it was to be located. Heath's campaign openly criticized the reservoir and Heath made comments along the line that there's enough rain in Haralson so the reservoir as approved was not needed. Of course, our state went into a severe drought right around that time. When Heath took the Speaker's position at the state capitol, he supposedly attempted but failed miserably to keep the pre-approved funding in place. Haralson lost out on the reservoir because of Bill Heath. If he can't keep pre-approved funding for an important project in his home county, he sure aint gonna be able to get it done here.

:clapping:

I wouldn't say that Bill Heath lost the state funding. Speaker Coleman pulled it to punish Haralson County for voting Murphy out.

That is the difference,In the past the dark side would back there canidate. That left a bitter feeling. Such as using the head quarters to stuff bags for there canidate before the primary. That is why so many left because the dark sided tea party was not fair.

I am glad to here there is a new Chairman trying to do the right thing,good luck :yahoo:

Yep, that is Bill Heath for you ... another half-lie that Murphy was going to make out like a bandit ... when the real beneficiary was the people of Georgia who needed the water. His has been a history of focusing on petty, the small and the hateful because his view of the world is so conservative, he's like the kids staring out the back window of a slow moving station wagon.

pubby

No, actually that is not a Bill Heath half-lie. Speaker Murphy would have made out like a bandit but it was his deceaded wives family that owned all that land. Plus, he owned half of the land in Haralson anyway and any place it would have been built would have touched his holdings anyway.

pubby

I love how if it is a person you like and back it is ok to tell half lies , be somewhat underhanded, not know where you really live and bend whatever rules you want to because after all everyone else does it. If that is the type of people you back then I would say anyone you back is someone I would never want in office.

• Like 1

If you can't afford a trip to DC you can't afford to run for office in the first place.

Why should he have paid for the trip out of his own funds whether it was $1 or $1,000?

That is the difference,In the past the dark side would back there canidate. That left a bitter feeling. Such as using the head quarters to stuff bags for there canidate before the primary. That is why so many left because the dark sided tea party was not fair.

I am glad to here there is a new Chairman trying to do the right thing,good luck :yahoo:

So, you took your toys and went home?