Paulding.com

Some Parents do not teach their children morals

On Memorial weekend our house in Hiram had items taken from all around the house [we were robbed]. Now my son's house off on the other side of Dallas was broken into. The house is empty because of repairs from the storm that hit that area. The house next to them was also hit for the second time in 2 weeks. The ones doing all this are teenagers, how do I know this is simple. At one of the houses the drank beer that was in the basement and played a table ball game then took a bow and shot at a target they made. They took the bow and arrows along with other items not taken the week before. At my sons house they took a yard wagon to tote their loot in and made a mess in the house. The kids have nothing to do and the parents are not watching where they are so they just have no respect for other peoples property. I am tired of people saying that these kind of kids are "really just good kids" that they just got bored. Good kids, kids that are raised right do not do things like this. Even when my sons were in college they had a curfew and always let me know where they were. Thanks for letting me vent, I know that most people really try to do right by their children but the ones who do not really tick me off.

On Memorial weekend our house in Hiram had items taken from all around the house [we were robbed]. Now my son's house off on the other side of Dallas was broken into. The house is empty because of repairs from the storm that hit that area. The house next to them was also hit for the second time in 2 weeks. The ones doing all this are teenagers, how do I know this is simple. At one of the houses the drank beer that was in the basement and played a table ball game then took a bow and shot at a target they made. They took the bow and arrows along with other items not taken the week before. At my sons house they took a yard wagon to tote their loot in and made a mess in the house. The kids have nothing to do and the parents are not watching where they are so they just have no respect for other peoples property. I am tired of people saying that these kind of kids are "really just good kids" that they just got bored. Good kids, kids that are raised right do not do things like this. Even when my sons were in college they had a curfew and always let me know where they were. Thanks for letting me vent, I know that most people really try to do right by their children but the ones who do not really tick me off.

The status quo seems to be the problem you are facing, dpod!

You know, from the problems the Paulding county school board faced, where even the the class president got into trouble, that there is a status quo problem.

Even when their life has never been sorrier, many people still crave the status quo: They do not want change, even change for the better. They feel there is safety in the status quo. The class president yielded to the status quo, when he did his part. They are living in their own fictional script and who are you to try to mess up their performance. Everyone knows the rules, and everyone knows what to expect; even if it's destruction. The class president took the easy way out, and caused himself a lot of problem when he got caught.

. .

Edited by The Postman
  • Like 1

I just said to my son the other day (when another student from his graduating class was arrested) that all the kids (recently that is) that were arrested were from his school (EPHS) and all honor kids. LMBO!!!!

About 3 days ago, one was arrested for speeding, reckless driving and something else.

And the parents that didn't teach the moral lessons were not taught the moral lesson themselves.

Yet we cut educational funding and the students that need the most coaching/help end up getting the least. We end up a permanent poor and crime ridden lower class, something that hurts everyone in the final analysis.

• Like 1
1339358462[/url]' post='3646745']

And the parents that didn't teach the moral lessons were not taught the moral lesson themselves.

Yet we cut educational funding and the students that need the most coaching/help end up getting the least. We end up a permanent poor and crime ridden lower class, something that hurts everyone in the final analysis.

I'm sorry, but did you actually mean that it's a teacher's job to teach children morals and values? A teacher has limited resources and time and likely only has a child for a few hours a day... Here's a novel concept - how about parents actually PARENT their children and let them suffer the natural consequences to their mistakes?

• Like 9

I'm sorry, but did you actually mean that it's a teacher's job to teach children morals and values? A teacher has limited resources and time and likely only has a child for a few hours a day... Here's a novel concept - how about parents actually PARENT their children and let them suffer the natural consequences to their mistakes?

No, I neither said nor implied that is a teacher's job to teach mortals and values.

However, those teachers are role models for these kids that are not getting that sort of structure at home. Yet, we cut funding for education so the teachers we do have, have to do more with less, with more students and less time. Then we cut those extra programs like art, music, language and sports, and that is another set of students who miss out on that extra modeling.

We all can name one or many teachers that modeled genuine and adult behaviours that lead to success. The number one factor in adult success and getting out of poverty and crime is education.

• Like 1

Then teachers and the school system need to stop acting like they are the students parents. And I'm tired of hearing the whoa's is me about teachers and the school system. They are the one's that put themselves in this situation along with the State. They want parents to buy everything, they want parents to help out in school, while they (school system) dictates to the parents.

I do agree, however, about it's the parents problem and fault if their kids are brats because they don't take the time to teach them manners, responsibilites, morals, values, respect. And what their little brats get they deserve. Meaning if they are a bully, bring weapons, drugs to school. Disrespectful to teachers etc.....

Teens may learn by experiences but I hope you or your family is not effected while they learn. I am so tired of seeing people on the news saying that the teen who just killed someone while driving drunk, or who shot someone at a party was a good kid. As I have stated Good Kids are just that good. I have two grown sons and I know that they are not perfect but I also know that they are the kind of person who steps up when they see things that are unjust. Because, they have. So many kids today have no respect not only for other peoples property but for life in general. I will never understand why people have children when they do not want to take the time and responsibility to raise then right.

Teens may learn by experiences but I hope you or your family is not effected while they learn. I am so tired of seeing people on the news saying that the teen who just killed someone while driving drunk, or who shot someone at a party was a good kid. As I have stated Good Kids are just that good. I have two grown sons and I know that they are not perfect but I also know that they are the kind of person who steps up when they see things that are unjust. Because, they have. So many kids today have no respect not only for other peoples property but for life in general. I will never understand why people have children when they do not want to take the time and responsibility to raise then right.

My grandparents said the same thing about my parents' generation (I have their diaries). My parents said the same thing about my generation.

"I mean such things as these: when the young are to be silent before their elders; how they are to show respect to them by standing and making them sit; what honour is due to parents; what garments or shoes are to be worn; the mode of dressing the hair;deportment and manners in general."

--- Socrates, in Plato's Republic, Book 4.

(Lose translation by Kenneth John Freeman, in his 1907 dissertation about the ancients' view on this subject: The children now love luxury. They have bad manners, contempt for authority; they show disrespect for elders and love chatter in place of exercise.)

"I see no hope for the future of our people if they are dependent on frivolous youth of today, for certainly all youth are reckless beyond words... When I was young, we were taught to be discreet and respectful of elders, but the present youth are exceedingly wise [disrespectful] and impatient of restraint."

--- Hesiod, 8th century BC

All generations think the children are worse than their own upbringing, and always worse than the previous generation. Each generation laments how bad things are, that is has "never been this bad," and that they see no hope.

Fact is, all kids are like that. Always have been. So were we. And our parents said the same about us.

• Like 1

I absolutely agree with you. "Good " kids dont do those sort of things.

I was too afraid in a good way of my parents to get into any trouble at ALL when I was a teen. Not only did they "make believers out of us"(as my Mother used to declare she would always do and she did)but they instilled a level of respect that kept us from foolishness that would hurt, scare or embarrass them. Teenagers don't HAVE to rebel. We sure didnt. We might have on the inside but we never let Fay and Gene know about it :mellow: :nea: ! I hope I can be the same way with mine.

Question - if good behavior and respect for others does not mean being a "good kid", what defines a good kid? If good kids disrespect others and destroy and steal, what are the kids who behave and have manners and respect called?

• Like 1

I was taught that there was only two kinds of people, "the caught, and the uncaught." But I have sense learned that it doesn't matter if you get caught, if you are the boss. :drinks:.

I never heard it that way. I've heard it as educated and uneducated.

Don't blame the school system on how kids behave. When admins. try to discipline kids or teens the parents don't back them up..they side with the kid ( MY dear child would never do that attitude). Or they threaten to sue the county. Parenting starts and ends at home! First and fore most that is where it lies. I always stood beside my child but backed up the teacher or admin when they said my child did something. I got both sides and dealt with my child the way they should be dealt with. My kids are good kids but sometimes their mouths caused trouble and they got in trouble for that. Hold the parents responsible for the behavior. If the teens are caught not only punish them but punish the parents! Once that starts to happen you can beat parents will be making sure they know where and what exactly their kids are doing and who they are hanging with!