Paulding.com
Sign in to follow this  
dumbestgirlintheworld

Foster Parents

I thought that I posted this thread a long time ago, but I can’t find it. Is anyone on here a foster parent, specifically through “the system”, meaning not fostering a family member’s child?

My husband and I are looking into the possibility of becoming foster parents. I’ve left a message with the county already, just wanted some real life stories and resources local to GA.

My sister did it for several years here in Paulding.

She and her family loved it.

Do yourself a favor tho and start shopping yard sales for all sizes of kids clothes and of course diapers to keep on hand. Many times kids showed up with absolutely nothing. It is also a good idea to go ahead and get a couple of nice carseats and things as well.

Good luck and God Bless.

You should look into becoming a C.A.S.A. volunteer before you decide to be a foster parent. I am a volunteer here in Paulding and I love it.

It's hard being a foster parent...but rewarding and I know you won't be in it for the money.

• Like 1

You should look into becoming a C.A.S.A. volunteer before you decide to be a foster parent. I am a volunteer here in Paulding and I love it.

It's hard being a foster parent...but rewarding and I know you won't be in it for the money.

agreed!

the system has all sorts of rules and regs that would throw an average person for a serious loop.

spend some time working within the system and getting familiar so that you can be sure the rules of fostering fit well with your family.

We have several families at our church who work with Georgia Agape as foster parents. GA has training classes and they usually are in need of foster parents. Some children are available for adoption as well.

I don't know if I can deal with the legal system, but I will look into it. I have been speaking with a friend in Florida that fosters infants and she really likes it, though she said that one of the hardest parts is getting used to working with the family of the child.

For instance, she has a crack baby that she's had for the last 8 months while her mother goes through rehab and the system. While she's the one that's been up all night with an inconsolable baby, she's still had to help to facilitate the eventual reunion with the baby's mother with visitations, etc.

I'm just exploring. It's tugged at my heart to do for a long time, and each time I think about it I make one little step closer.

My daughter and her husband are foster parents in the county they love it. have had 22 kids go thru their home.It takes up a lot of time .She has 3 now a 8 week old a 18 mth old and a 4 yr old thats the most shes had at 1 time.

For instance, she has a crack baby that she's had for the last 8 months while her mother goes through rehab and the system. While she's the one that's been up all night with an inconsolable baby, she's still had to help to facilitate the eventual reunion with the baby's mother with visitations, etc.

A couple years back we looked into fostering. I heard several stories like the above after talking to other parents. Some were worse others were not. You have to be a strong and very "understanding" person to foster.

Foster parents are in court the same amount of time or more than a CASA volunteer. What I do is directly for the benefit of the child. My one and only objective is the child.

This isn't for fostering, but I have a friend that works with New Horizons for Children - it's a program that brings orphans from Eastern European countries to the U.S. for about 8 weeks during the summer and at Christmas. They are always looking for host families, even those not considering adoption.

Here is a link to their website: www.newhorizonsforchildren.org

This isn't for fostering, but I have a friend that works with New Horizons for Children - it's a program that brings orphans from Eastern European countries to the U.S. for about 8 weeks during the summer and at Christmas. They are always looking for host families, even those not considering adoption.

Here is a link to their website: www.newhorizonsforchildren.org

Is this a respite program? Thanks for the link, I'll look into it.

Though, I'm hesitant to help the eastern block for a host of reasons - namely that there are a lot of US children in need.

• Like 1

I think it's a precious idea. When I was little, my parents fostered kids for several years, either one child or two siblings at a time. Then after several years, they decided to adopt my brother and sister (this was in the days before you could adopt kids you were fostering).

I can't shed any light on the current system, but God bless you if you are really called to do this. I've thought about it before, and I just couldn't do it. With my personality, I'd just be a basket case when they had to leave (even in good circumstances), and I'd be insane when they had to leave in a situation that wasn't good (which my parents went through with a set of siblings). I think you're awesome for even getting this far in your process. :wub:

I LOVE Calvary Childrens Home in Powder Springs. You wouldnt believe how nice it is from the house parents, to the 100% donated furnishings(the houses are beautiful)to just their ideal in general. It is an orphange that houses children from babies to college kids.

I have done done work with them for many years. You can actually "adopt" a child on weekends. I dont know all the details but I do know it is an option and they are always looking for wonderful people to share in the lives of these children. I know that these weekends can turn into full legal adoption.

I cannot express to you how well mannered, unspoiled, well adjusted and just all 'round pleasant to be around these children are. The first time I worked with them I was so afraid I'd leave down and very depressed but just the opposite happened. I have never been around more delightful children.

It may be worth checking into since you can forgo a lot of the legalalities of typical foster parenting this way.

I always wanted to do it but my ex-husband was way too OCD and it was a full time job just keeping him pacified...:wacko: ...there's no way he would've shared his spotlight with a child that was not our own in this way. Sad but true.

Oh...and they have never struck me as "Christian Crazies" which I run from as fast as my short legs will carry me.:blink:

Although I have been away from it 12+ years my career was in Social Work. The majority of my 18 yrs I investigated child abuse/neglect and was the bad guy who removed children from "immediate and imminent danger" situations. I was the one who would call the foster parents in middle of the night begging them to take in an extra child or sibling group - Many times they were in desperate need for a bath and came only with the clothes on their back. I would go to Court (within 72 hrs) and present the case and the reasoning for the removal. Many times the Judge would send the child/ren back to what I knew was not a good or safe environment. Other times the child/ren would remain in the custody of DFCS with the ultimate goal of reunification. The majority of times the parents would do any and every thing possible to have their children returned to them. The Foster Parents are the ones who are up at night comforting a frightened child or treating their injured body or emotions. All the time knowing that child/ren probably would leave them one day. But, they gave their all during the time they have them. And, anyone who thinks Foster Parents are in it for the money are wrong: typically what they get to care for a child doesn't begin to cover all their needs. A lot of people are not cut out to be Foster Parents - it is hard to mend a broken child/ren and then turn them lose. For a couple of years during my career I approved home day care homes, Foster and Adoptive homes. I taught MAPP Classes for those wishing to become Foster or Adoptive Parents. (These classes are required prior to being approved.) During this time some couples determine it is not for them - and there is NO shame in that!! I have gone to the State Dept of Alabama and fought for a Foster Family to be able to keep a child and adopt her. We won and that baby they took home from the hospital at 8 days old is now a young, well adjusted and LOVED young lady of 21! (that could be an entirely different thread. LOL)

With all this being said I admire your desire to help children. And, Lord knows good Foster Parents are DESPERATELY needed! You are doing the right thing by taking it slow and not jumping into it. Talk to as many current and past Foster Parents you can. Keep in mind there are more than 2 sides to each story: the parents, the foster parents, the case worker and the courts. But, if you are meant to foster and do it you will find out as much as the children NEED YOU - you will be the one receiving the BLESSINGS!

:wub:

GOOD LUCK!!

• Like 1