Paulding.com

JUAN MARY JOSEPH SOMEBODY HELP!

BITING FLIES!!!

We not had a problem in the past, but this year we have these small little flies that bite and apparently I'm allergic to them and the LOVE ME!

I've got big red welts on my arms and back from these little b@stards that swell and itch like crazy!!

Any tips for relief and better still how to ward them off!!

WHY THEY LOVE ME SO MUCH!!??!!!

EWWWWWW!!! I think vinegar will take the sting out. Otherwise, I'm so sorry!!!

PS - Who is Juan? :D

Jesus's brother.

Little known and seldom talked about.

He didn't make the KJV cut.

Edited by Blondiega1

Three words gir..........Benadryl and Orkin.

LOL!!

And you KNOW why I find this funny!!

Seriously though........can they spray a yard? And do they have something pet friendly?

(ie: my ducks and a rotten ass chocolate lab that will eat anything that doesn't eat her first.)

Edited by Blondiega1

We live on 80 acres, so I don't know that an exterminator is going to be an option.

I'll try the vinegar and the benadryl for some relief and IDK, maybe some insect repellent when I go outside.

That stuff just always stinks so bad!

We live on 80 acres, so I don't know that an exterminator is going to be an option.

I'll try the vinegar and the benadryl for some relief and IDK, maybe some insect repellent when I go outside.

That stuff just always stinks so bad!

Thermacell? I think that you can get it from Dick's.

For clarification, Thermacell is a device that wards off biting insects. I didn't want you to think that it was an STD.

For clarification, Thermacell is a device that wards off biting insects. I didn't want you to think that it was an STD.

:rofl:

Thanks! Papi will appreciate that!!

BTW, your net has come in handy with the newbies around here!

I just read DE is good too, the food grade kind, and guess what I bought and have in the pantry now that some peeps on here talked me in to trying!! :lol:

Eat more fresh garlic. Works for keeping mosquito's away also.

I doesn't even have to be fresh garlic.

Garlic pills will also work.

Growing up we had a 180lb blue Dane on our farm. The biting flies, and fleas were an issue. My Mom would give him a garlic oil pill with every meal. No more fleas, and no more biting flies (they only irritated the horses) :p

If it worked for Silver, I am sure it would work for you!

I doesn't even have to be fresh garlic.

Garlic pills will also work.

Growing up we had a 180lb blue Dane on our farm. The biting flies, and fleas were an issue. My Mom would give him a garlic oil pill with every meal. No more fleas, and no more biting flies (they only irritated the horses) :p

If it worked for Silver, I am sure it would work for you!

I actually have some garlic pills. (thanks Monkeytail!)

Maybe I'll start taking them again to see if it helps keep them away from me.

And sprinkling some diatomaceous earth around the ducks section 8 housing should help too.

Flies like wet and poop. Both of which ducks produce.

I don't use anything that comes from Dick's, e_m!

There is no Dick's close to where I live. drinks.gif

Academy Sports in Hiram had Thermocel over in the camping section. It does work magic on keeping flying pests away. Those big plastic dome fly traps work pretty well at cutting down the flys attracted by duck/chicken/horse poo. You can just hang one or two near where your ducks are.

Academy Sports in Hiram had Thermocel over in the camping section. It does work magic on keeping flying pests away. Those big plastic dome fly traps work pretty well at cutting down the flys attracted by duck/chicken/horse poo. You can just hang one or two near where your ducks are.

THANKS!

I use a product called quick strike and kill hundreds of flies a day. I used to use the plastic dome things put after a while, because you use water, you get maggots and the smell that comes out of that thing is :blink: really bad. The attractant that you use with the quick strike stinks for a few days but goes away.

To keep the bugs off of me, I use that OFF fan thing, I just clip it on my belt loop. I hated putting that spray repellent on me but have been chigger free for the last two years using that fan.

I hate flies. The quick strike works real well. You can get it at tractor supply or Lawson's. If you end up getting it, put the attractant on and let it cure for a few days.

I use a product called quick strike and kill hundreds of flies a day. I used to use the plastic dome things put after a while, because you use water, you get maggots and the smell that comes out of that thing is :blink: really bad. The attractant that you use with the quick strike stinks for a few days but goes away.

To keep the bugs off of me, I use that OFF fan thing, I just clip it on my belt loop. I hated putting that spray repellent on me but have been chigger free for the last two years using that fan.

I hate flies. The quick strike works real well. You can get it at tractor supply or Lawson's. If you end up getting it, put the attractant on and let it cure for a few days.

Thanks!

Does that clip on thingy work?

For the swelling and itching Papi got me some cortisone and some benadryl.

But the benadryl makes me soooooo sleepy.

Thanks!

Yes, it works like a charm. Like I said, I've not had a case of chiggers since using it. Also, when I water my garden at dusk I used to get welts from the bites....no more! :)

Thanks!

I am pretty sure that those are the no see ums that sometimes bite me in the yard.

It stings when they first bite, the place will look a little like a wasp sting then I swell, a place about as big as your hand and 1/2 an inch high, it continues to sting the entire time.

I have to take benedryl and use cortisone. Mosquito sprays help but I have had them crawl up my shorts or pants where there is no spray, so I will spray my self before putting on my shorts. They seem to like water, I get bit the most when the ground is wet from dew or rain.

I swell so bad it honestly scares me a bit. I can't use products with Deet so I have to shop around to find something without it.

We use granules in our grass to keep the tics down because of the Lyme disease, it has not made a difference in these critters, my daughter was stung by one by the pool this weekend.

I am pretty sure that those are the no see ums that sometimes bite me in the yard.

It stings when they first bite, the place will look a little like a wasp sting then I swell, a place about as big as your hand and 1/2 an inch high, it continues to sting the entire time.

I have to take benedryl and use cortisone. Mosquito sprays help but I have had them crawl up my shorts or pants where there is no spray, so I will spray my self before putting on my shorts. They seem to like water, I get bit the most when the ground is wet from dew or rain.

I swell so bad it honestly scares me a bit. I can't use products with Deet so I have to shop around to find something without it.

We use granules in our grass to keep the tics down because of the Lyme disease, it has not made a difference in these critters, my daughter was stung by one by the pool this weekend.

You posted about this last year and last year is when I suggested trying the fan. Putting those drugs and chemicals in/on you can't be good so try the &$)@()$ fan will ya? :p

Those are dog flies. I hate them worse than any insect God came up with. You can buy an insecticide that you put in a sprayer that goes on your garden hose. What you want to spray are the low hanging branches of the trees and bushes around your yard. I did this a couple of years ago and it helped.

• Like 1