Paulding.com

Question for those green thumbs on here

okay so for any of my green thumbs on here I have a question.... What flowers and shrubbery does well in highly acidic soil that is mostly shade. So far over the years I have killed azaleas, hydrangeas, gardenias, rhododendrons and a dogwood tree all in this one area of my yard. Needless to say I am about ready to call that area a dead zone and not plant anything else but it looks so lopsided cause the other side of the house where we get a lot of sun is doing well. Lots of day lilies and loropetalums. HELP PLEASE!!

Added this picture to show what I am talking about. The left side of the porch has lots of growth and the right side, nothing but day lilies and if you could see a little further over you would see that the day lilies get smaller the further you go to the right.

post-38994-0-32836100-1335065376_thumb.jpg

Added this picture to show what I am talking about. The left side of the porch has lots of growth and the right side, nothing but day lilies and if you could see a little further over you would see that the day lilies get smaller the further you go to the right.

IMAG1106.jpg

Right off what I see is a lot of orange soil, very little mulch and an over hang very close to the ground which usually creates a very dry area.

Pull what you have up in the fall, condition your soil, change your down spout to get the moisture in that area, replant and mulch heavily.

For all of my shrubs I dug huge holes and back filled with good black soil and composted manure.

Thanks. Didn't even think about changing the direction of the downspout and we are re-mulching this week. It amazes me how thick you can do your mulch and how by the same time the next year so much of it is gone! So is there nothing that we can plant now? Do we just need to wait till fall?

Thanks. Didn't even think about changing the direction of the downspout and we are re-mulching this week. It amazes me how thick you can do your mulch and how by the same time the next year so much of it is gone! So is there nothing that we can plant now? Do we just need to wait till fall?

Your lot has a steep slope and that is what makes it so dry, Lantana would work really well, get the perennial, Elrods had landscapers flats 18 plants for about $18.99 I think.

The knock out roses will also go well with your soil and the landscaping you have started. Just dig holes twice or 3 times the size needed for your perennial every time and back fill with good soil to allow them to root well the first year and water generously that first year.

I have knock out roses around one of my trees in the front yard and just bought 3 more to go around the okame cherry tree I planted last year that luckily didn't die. They have done really well but do you think they would do as well over there where they wouldn't get as much sun? I really appreciate your help :)

Pine mulch breaks down quickly and makes the soil even more acidic, I use wood mulch.

If weeds are a big problem put down plastic sheeting and put the wood mulch over it.

You will have to make sure to water around the base of the plants, but they will hold moisture longer. They also have landscapers cloth that does the same thing and the water goes through it.

I have knock out roses around one of my trees in the front yard and just bought 3 more to go around the okame cherry tree I planted last year that luckily didn't die. They have done really well but do you think they would do as well over there where they wouldn't get as much sun? I really appreciate your help :)

They will do fine there.

Are you sure that your soil around the base of the house is acidic? Usually the concrete from the foundation makes the soil around it LESS acidic unless the soil has been conditioned for many years with something acidic like pine needles or bark. I have David Austin English Roses (they look like cabbage roses) and they do very well with a mixture of the red GA clay (it helps retain moisture), black top soil and composted cow manure (the kind that is aged and comes in the plastic bags). I mix the three of them together with my tiller and give the roots plenty of room to grow. Every once in a while give them some Miracle Grow fertilizer for roses and use a good treatment to keep mildew, black spot and insects (aphids) away. Azaleas and roses are acidic plants and grow well under pine trees because the needles turn the soil acidic. Hydrangeas can grow in both and in some the pH of the soil will determine the color of the blooms.

There is a small spot in our back yard and a larger spot in a neighbor's yard that will grow almost nothing due to a large granite slab beneath the top soil. You could possibly have the same situation. Find a good gardening book that you can look up the plants in and it can tell you what conditions that the plants grow best in. My favorite has been the American Horticultural Society "Great Plant Guide". It lists thousands of plants and it has come in very handy for these type of situations. I wish you the best of luck! :)

i have two "dead zones" in my yard as well...very very red soil that gets just plain clay like at times. Ive just managed to get very pretty bulb gardens goin there over the years. If ya plant them right you will have something in bloom all spring and summer long. Agree with the others though..pine straw wont help the situation...Ive also had really good luck with marigolds in front and salvia in the back in those spots if ya want something to be blooming right now then mulch with wood or cut and bagged leaves in the fall to help get some darkness and richness going in the soil. (marigolds also cut down on grubs and other insects that love that red clay)

Edited by WhiteWitch369

I want to thank you all for your tips and suggestions. This is why I love P.com, if you need help with something there are plenty of people on here to take time out and give you an answer. I am gonna use all your suggestions and I will let you know how it goes. Thanks again :)